NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Lar.ry Mur.phy

Default You have to read this positive story about STAT AUTHENTIC...OMG

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news...pproval-1.html

I'm speechless...where does one begin?

Regards,

Larry
Old 10-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Scott

One begins by drinking a Cyanide laced glass of arsenic. What a Fiasco. Two of the biggest crooks with fakes, and their partner in slime, Morales. And that company on another thread, thats Coach's coma south.

LOL and cry both at the line by Trythall, that there are a lot of forgeries out there.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:10 AM

If you can't trust the Bucks County Courier Times, who can you trust?
Old 10-02-2009, 11:23 AM

My question to STAT is, when they appraise stuff, do they appraise it at the prices that their stuff would sell for, or the price it would sell for if another auction house handled it and if other authenticators gave it the thumbs up?

And so Stevens worked the retail portion of a museum and therefore he can help a guy who worked for a baseball card company authenticate Sitting Bull and Abraham Lincoln?

Funniest article of the year so far and I don't think humor was the intent of this article. That's the sign of some fine journalism, lady.

DanC
Old 10-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default nice

A quote from the article

"Unless you saw the items signed, it's an opinion," Stevens said. "We sell our opinion, based on our names and credentials."

So that must be the reason their "authenticated" items sell for so much less than other, more reputable, authenticators.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
A quote from the article

So that must be the reason their "authenticated" items sell for so much less than other, more reputable, authenticators.

Well... they make it up in volume.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:34 PM

they reject 80% of the stuff they look at.

So only 2 outta every 10 signed Josh Gibson pants they review is legit?

Who knew?
Old 10-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Scott

I still think them and Mr "Forensic fool" Morales are in league w these clowns that were mentioned on another thread. Simply HORRIFIC stuff.

http://www.aasportscollectibles.com/
Old 10-02-2009, 03:28 PM

-

Last edited by Vintagedegu; 08-21-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Lar.ry Mur.phy

More importantlty, if the stuff in Ted's collection is authentic and therefore has value, would he utilize the services of Coach's Corner to sell his merchandise? I wonder if he consigns to other companies? That would be interesting to find out...

A press release...that's exactly the correct way to describe this nonsense. My favorite sentence: "Just like in any business, people have found ways to make money dishonestly," said Lee Trythall.

That writer should go back to covering butter sculptures at State Fairs, if this is in fact what she assumes is a form of journalism. Something tells me master-PR man Ted Taylor is behind this.

Regards,
Larry

Last edited by tinkereversandme; 10-02-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Richard Simon

www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 10-02-2009, 08:10 PM
William Peebles

He should have followed his gut and opened a hot dog stand.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Has Sports Collectors Digest responded to any of these characters? I notice they are all still very prominent in the publication.

I have subscribed to SCD since 1975. My wife has not too subtley suggested for quite some time that I cancel since it has become so thin. If they give these guys credibility maybe it is time to save subscription $.

Since I registered at net54baseball four days ago, I'll probably picked up more info than six months of SCD.

Last edited by Jerry G; 10-13-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Rawn Hill

Welcome to net54.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:17 AM
Rich Klein

Default Coaches Corner is gone from SCD

Eom
Old 10-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Bob Lemke

Coaches Corner has not advertised in SCD for several months now. That's one of the reasons the paper's page count is down. Each 20 pages of ads that CC (or any other advertiser) buys pays for about 5 pages of editorial content. Without that ad revenue, the paper can't afford to maintain the editorial package without greatly increasing subscription rates . . . and that's a non-starter in this day of ink-on-paper hobby publishing.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 10-15-2009, 05:51 AM
Richard Simon

So Bob, what you are apparently saying is that the end justifies the means??
Really ??
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 10-15-2009, 08:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
So Bob, what you are apparently saying is that the end justifies the means??
Really ??
I don't need to speak for Bob but I think he had little to do with "who" advertised/advertises in SCD. I know I spoke with some others at the company that weren't always happy about CC. I also think SCD finally bit the bullet and did what needed to be done a long time ago. I am sure it will hurt financially, at least in the short run. We don't need to continually beat them up, imo, for a fight that is over. I also hate it when folks pick on people who have passed away (not that you are). They are moot points. regards
Old 10-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lemke View Post
Coaches Corner has not advertised in SCD for several months now. That's one of the reasons the paper's page count is down. Each 20 pages of ads that CC (or any other advertiser) buys pays for about 5 pages of editorial content. Without that ad revenue, the paper can't afford to maintain the editorial package without greatly increasing subscription rates . . . and that's a non-starter in this day of ink-on-paper hobby publishing.
Seems to me if they would have taken this step years ago they might not find themselves with so few subscribers now. Just a thought.
Edited to add: Not picking on anyone, but there is no victim here, IMHO.

Last edited by HRBAKER; 10-15-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Seems to me if they would have taken this step years ago they might not find themselves with so few subscribers now. Just a thought.
Edited to add: Not picking on anyone, but there is no victim here, IMHO.
I don't think the timing mattered, Jeff. Every newspaper and every magazine in the country is in some serious financial trouble right now. Electronic media had eaten away at their circulations and, more importantly, at their advertising revenue.

Niche media, catering to small groups, such as SCD have fared worse than even the mainstream guys. Over the next couple of years, we're going to see almost every big city newspaper file Chapter 11.

I wish SCD well, but their long range prognosis isn't good, and it's probably not their fault.

I'm not excusing their relationship with CC, just stating that it probably helped keep them alive for a few extra years.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
I don't think the timing mattered, Jeff. Every newspaper and every magazine in the country is in some serious financial trouble right now. Electronic media had eaten away at their circulations and, more importantly, at their advertising revenue.

Niche media, catering to small groups, such as SCD have fared worse than even the mainstream guys. Over the next couple of years, we're going to see almost every big city newspaper file Chapter 11.

I wish SCD well, but their long range prognosis isn't good, and it's probably not their fault.

I'm not excusing their relationship with CC, just stating that it probably helped keep them alive for a few extra years.

Jim,
You may very well be right. I guess I am old school as I still take delivery of two newspapers daily. Nothing quite like the 5:30 AM cup of coffee and the editorials before the brood storms the Bastille.

Jeff
Old 10-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Jim,
You may very well be right. I guess I am old school as I still take delivery of two newspapers daily. Nothing quite like the 5:30 AM cup of coffee and the editorials before the brood storms the Bastille.

Jeff
I get two papers delivered also, but looking up and down my block at 6:00 AM, the rest of my neighbors seem to get zero or one (about a 50/50 split.)

If not for the comics, I couldn't get either of my kids (16 and 20) to touch a paper. This is not to say either is not informed about what's going on in the world. Compared to most kids they keep up with everything. They just get their info from differents sources.

The one thing I have tried to point out to them is that the internet provides instant info but it's immediate nature removes much of the nuance of after-the-fact media (newspapers, magazines, even nightly news.)

They think "news" comes from The Daily Show. I'm not sure they are wrong.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Barry Sloate

I still love reading my New York Times every morning, but it's bare bones and has a daily cover price of $2 (obscene). But it does have the boxscores (if the game didn't start too late) and a great crossword puzzle, so I'm still in. One of these days I think I will pull the plug on my subscription; it won't be easy.

Regarding SCD, I think the real value in its heydey was there was no better way to find good stuff. It was a cornucopia back when it topped off at nearly 400 pages. When all the dealers left, the paper was useless. Say all you want about the negative influence of Coaches Corner, but if the magazine still had good cards for sale subscribers would turn a blind eye to it. Don't forget that in this hobby stuff trumps everything.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:18 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
It was a cornucopia back when it topped off at nearly 400 pages
This weeks edition.....is 34 pages!
Old 10-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I still love reading my New York Times every morning, but it's bare bones and has a daily cover price of $2 (obscene). But it does have the boxscores (if the game didn't start too late) and a great crossword puzzle, so I'm still in. One of these days I think I will pull the plug on my subscription; it won't be easy.

Regarding SCD, I think the real value in its heydey was there was no better way to find good stuff. It was a cornucopia back when it topped off at nearly 400 pages. When all the dealers left, the paper was useless. Say all you want about the negative influence of Coaches Corner, but if the magazine still had good cards for sale subscribers would turn a blind eye to it. Don't forget that in this hobby stuff trumps everything.

Absolutely right Barry. I used to pay extra for the Priority Mail delivery (2 days) and still would feel too late when I saw something I wanted, called the dealer and found it had already sold. (Some guys paid for the Overnight delivery!)

Ebay did a huge part in killing that, because their system is instantaneous.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:56 AM

-

Last edited by Vintagedegu; 08-21-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Barry Sloate

Jay- 34 pages? What's the point?

Jim- for a while I got my SCD sent fed ex. It was expensive but I reasoned if I was able to get first crack at one great thing, it would pay for the whole subscription. But I just remember the excitement of getting it and going through the pages to find some little treasure. Of course those days are long over. I guess there is a corporate reason the publication still exists, but from a hobby perspective there really is none.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post

I still don't understand why my neighbors get the newspaper...every single one of them do and I know every single one of them has the internet. The Lincoln paper is on the net word for word..including the classified ads. $250/year for something they can access for free.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Barry Sloate

Dan- there is something about holding a newspaper in one's hands that can't be duplicated by the internet. Same with books. There was a time when it was thought that books would become obsolete and everyone would read them online. But it hasn't happened yet.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Good morning America

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I still don't understand why my neighbors get the newspaper...every single one of them do and I know every single one of them has the internet. The Lincoln paper is on the net word for word..including the classified ads. $250/year for something they can access for free.
I need the Sunday newspaper to read every morning. It's just not the same with a notebook computer in the bathroom. We only take the Sunday paper and I read different sections each morning. I still like the newspaper. BTW, it's very interesting in Dallas right now. There was a big column this last Sunday about the subscription price going UP substantially. The parent company of the newspaper is trying something different. They feel if they have a good value people will pay (even pay more). To that end they have just hired a bevy of new reporters and are EXPANDING their footprint and scope of the newspaper. It reminds me of that lady baseball postcard that has been on ebay for about 2 yrs. Everyone has seen it as a $3900 BIN (probably a $50 card). About a month ago they raised the BIN to $4200....I don't think their strategy is going to work....I hope the newspaper's strategy does.....
Old 10-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post

Dan,
Setting out on the veranda/porch/sunroom with a cup of coffee every morning with two papers and the crosswords is easily worth (to me) what I pay for the paper. It's one of life's little pleasures. Besides if everyone did what you do, it wouldn't be free anymore is my guess. So in a way they're paying for your paper too. You've got great neighbors.

Jeff

Last edited by HRBAKER; 10-15-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Dan- there is something about holding a newspaper in one's hands that can't be duplicated by the internet. Same with books. There was a time when it was thought that books would become obsolete and everyone would read them online. But it hasn't happened yet.
It will happen someday. Kindle (I think that's how it's spelled) and other like it are really picking up. I can even see schools going to this kind of technology in the not too distant future. It's cheaper, easier to store and friendlier to the environment.

I get the appeal of laying out the paper and reading it during breakfast...I used to do it all the time. Now I just move the keyboard out of the way and eat my cereal while reading the Lincoln paper online. Kids of today probably for the most part will never take a newspaper as they are all acquainted with the internet.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Dan,
Setting out on the veranda/porch/sunroom with a cup of coffee every morning with two papers and the crosswords is easily worth (to me) what I pay for the paper. It's one of life's little pleasures. Besides if everyone did what you do, it wouldn't be free anymore is my guess. So in a way they're paying for your paper too. You've got great neighbors.

Jeff
If they ever decide to charge online for the paper people will just get their info elsewhere. As I said earlier, I understand the pleasure of reading the paper and relaxing, but it will go the way of the dodo bird someday...Large newspapers all around the country are folding left and right, and our population is still largely made up of the baby boomers...once they (we) are gone printed newspapers will be antiques.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Barry Sloate

Sadly Dan is probably correct.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Sadly Dan is probably correct.
Barry,
Good thing we won't live forever! No newspapers, what would I swat my son with?

Jeff
Old 10-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Barry Sloate

When I'm low on packing bubbles I use balled up newspaper. Can't do that with a computer.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:22 PM
FredYoung

I guess I'm one of the "old school" folks too!

I get up in the morning, run out to the driveway in sun or snow, come in & pour that 1st cup of coffee and settle down at the kitchen table to wake up w/ the morning Providence Journal.

Can't imagine starting my day any other way! Been doing that every AM since I was a kid back in the '50's and just had to see the previous days box scores & Yankee results before I went to school!

Now it's to see the Red Sox box score, who died (which is quite often one & the same!) and where to get a flu shot before I take a nap!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Barry Sloate

Fred- first place I turn every morning is the obituary page. That's the truth.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:04 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Dan, its free because the newspaper is still in business. if enough people stop subscribing to the paper edition, the company will fold and like wise the free on line information.

HBO (Frank DeFord) last week had this same topic about sports reporting for newspapers and that so many long time companies were closing its doors.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:12 PM
FredYoung

and Barry---

as the old saying goes--"If my name isn't there I feel alot better about starting my day"!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Dan, its free because the newspaper is still in business. if enough people stop subscribing to the paper edition, the company will fold and like wise the free on line information.

HBO (Frank DeFord) last week had this same topic about sports reporting for newspapers and that so many long time companies were closing its doors.
Yeah, I get that, but I doubt my neighbors are subsidizing the newspaper out of the goodness of their hearts. It's likely they don't know the online edition contains all the news or it's a hassle to read the paper on the internet compared to the paper (which, comparatively speaking it is)...or like many here it's part of their routine to read the paper.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Barry Sloate

I know Fred- my joke is I always check there first to see if I'm still alive.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:02 AM

My parents use the internet and subscribe to the local newspaper, because they prefer reading the newspaper in that form. It probably costs like 15 cents a day, which is less than a bubble gum.

Newspapers make much more from a print ad than the same online ad, as print ads get more brain/eye attention from readers and advertisers know this. Even if the online version has tons of traffic, that often doesn't translate to lots of money. If your local newspaper has a print circulation of 50,000 and multiple more online readers, it still makes more money from print ads than the online. Shifting all the readers from print to online, won't solve their financial woes. The one positive, and perhaps a positive for the future, is many local newspapers have a substantially larger overall readership than before due to their online sites. Dwindling readership is not the problem.

Originally newspapers the world over made the mistake of having their content unabridged and for free online, thinking that the online traffic would translate to print-like advertising money. Before long they realized the online ad-biz wasn't terribly lucrative, but the genie had been let out of the bottle-- computers users had been taught that you get your news for free online.

One of my favorite free content stories is NetZero. They started a free for life email service and planned on make a profit from ads. The president of Earthlink, which has always charged for the service, said it couldn't be done-- an email service company couldn't make a profit from just ads. Zoom a few years ahead in time, and you'll see that, despite its name, NetZero now charges a monthly fee for its email service.

Last edited by drc; 10-16-2009 at 02:19 AM.