NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-24-2010, 12:36 PM

Default Thoughts on Bautista - 50hr...

Im sure its crossed alot of peopls minds about PED's and Bautista...

I will say this, as im someone who goes to the gym alot, put on 30-35 pounds of muscle wtih fair mix of supplements (that you can buy at GNC/Vitamin Shoppe) and to me, he DOES NOT appear to be someone that "got big"...at all..i think he possibly has cut his swing a bit different and increased his bat speed

Just my 2 cents...
Old 09-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Ryan Christoff

All I know is he's helped me dominate my fantasy league, so whatever he's doing, I hope he keeps doing it.

-Ryan
Old 09-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Rob Miller

Probably a combination of him getting a legit shot to start for a full season and changing his approach. I think he took the league by surprise, and pitchers didn't adjust to him being a dead pull hitter.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Jeff

I was at Blue Jays spring training this year and he looks just like a normal guy, not ripped at all. From what I saw he drinks lots of coffee, maybe it's the caffeine that gave him his boost! Seriously though, he gave us fans in Toronto something to cheer about and he's under contract for a couple more years at a decent price. Fits in well with an up-and-coming Blue Jays squad!

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 09-24-2010, 01:25 PM
D.B. Cooper

Maybe he and Brady Anderson are pen pals. Or share a pharmacist.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Jim D

When they interviewed him early on in the season, he said he changed his position in the batters box and altered one small thing in his swing and it has paid off for him!

As a Jays fan, I'm glad he is on our side until the Yankees or Red Sox steal him away in a few years!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 09-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Dave

I think all this recent PED talk is extremely unfair to him.

He's had a great season, especially the 2nd half. I actually picked him up in my fantasy league off the waiver wire, about 3 months into the season. It's a small league and nobody trusted his power would hold up and weren't willing to pick up, what most thought was another Carlos Pena type.

He's a late bloomer. Baseball history is filled with them. It's also filled with guys who had everything go right for one year, and for one reason or another was never able to come close to repeating it again.

Roger Maris was a fairly late bloomer himself. He had two special years, one or two pretty good years, and not much else to speak of, if we're being perfectly honest.

A guy doesn't have to be a superstar from the moment he steps foot in the league, to the moment he leaves, in order to make a mark on the game.

If somebody digs up some other evidence other then, "he's having a really good year for a guy who hasn't had one before", I'll take a look at it and point my judgements if need be. Otherwise, I hate assumptions. People who make them always say "I told you so", when they are right.......but usually aren't quite as forthcoming when they are proven wrong.

I try to think the best of people, until I am actually proven otherwise.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robextend View Post
Probably a combination of him getting a legit shot to start for a full season and changing his approach. I think he took the league by surprise, and pitchers didn't adjust to him being a dead pull hitter.
I don't understand this "shot to start" thing that I've heard mentioned. Bautista played in 117 games in 2006, 142 in 2007, 128 in 2008, and 113 in 2009. He WAS a starter. Fact is, he didn't put up numbers to justify playing 150+ games. A corner IF/OF who slugs .410 while hitting .240? He had his shots and didn't do anything with them.

It certainly is justified to wonder if he's on PEDs. He's never slugger over .420 before and now he's at .622? That's certainly suspicious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S. View Post
In 1930, 9 NL hitters slugged over 1.000. The 10th, Lindstrom, slugged .999.
You mean OPS. Wilson led in slugging in 1930 with a .723.

Philadelphia hit .315 as a team, averaging 6.05 runs per game - and finished last. Giving up nearly 8 rights a game (7.69) will do that to you

What a crazy, crazy year.

Interesting that the HR record originally set in 1927 has been surpassed many times since then but no one has broken the top 10 in season RBI in 70 years (Manny Ramirez with 165 in 1999 being closest, at 13th all-time).

Tabe