NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Default Beware Ebay sellers - "Fantasy" Vintage Buyer

Posted By: Double-P-Enterprises

Beware Ebay vintage sellers - Ebay ID (smartemptennis) is winning all kinds of vintage auctions on Ebay and does not pay, has no intention of paying, and cannot be contacted. Most of them are very high dollar auctions with active bids placed near the end. They are burning all kinds of honest people and wasting everyone's time. Yet the genious of Ebay let's them do it while racking up negative feedback along the way. As of course, it's all about the buyer with the new and improved Ebay. Block this ID before he/she ruins your auction.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeremy

Yes, this Ebayer has gone South. Very strange though... The Feedback is perfect with over 150 positive transactions then all of a sudden, stops communication, does not pay, and Negatives start wracking up... Very odd, indeed. I am guessing his Ebay ID has been hijacked, or he placed a lot of bids and lost his job, money he thought was coming in, etc... It is just odd for him to have great feedback with so many transactions, then this happens all of sudden. I sell on ebay and once had someone experience a death in the family and ebay auctions took a back seat for a month. With out communication, all hell breaks loose... By the way, This guy won a 34 Gehrig from me and has not paid or communicated since the auction was over on Jan 20th. Lets just say, I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling he will be paying me for the card. BUYER/SELLER BEWARE of Smartemptennis. Block Bidder if you sell for sure -

~ Jeremy ~

Old 01-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

You think that guy is bad? check out
8880alan
and what he has been up to as of late.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Shepherd

That's hilarious - 8880alan bought a Cobb for $4k, a Superbowl ticket for $8k, and then a $35k forklift. I'd like to think they'll somehow all be employed at the same time.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat (ret.)

I think he bought two sets of Superbowl tickets, so at least he appears to be taking some friends.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

The contact info on this gentleman named "Scott" does not match when calling Washington Township information, address or phone # .. The perfect feedback was acquired at least 5 years prior and is not available for details.

His phone on e bay system is disconnected but the phone thru contact info is different than thru order details, and that one works....So far I am holding for two weeks his cards that were won, no payment yet. I did get an e mail from him stating he will be paying by "company check" after 4 attempts, which still has not arrived. I have blocked him at this time until he pays. Hopes this info helps anyone that is in this situation and he has "bought" $30,000 worth of cards this month from various vendors.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew S.

Appreciate the info on deadbeats and have blocked both of them. Just imagine what these creeps will be able to do when they implement the new eBay feedback policy. Not only will they stiff you on the sale, they'll also add insult to injury by giving negatives without fear of retaliation. If you open a NPB complaint, all they have to do is reply with F___ Y__! and they will be free to leave a negative that can never be removed.

Wonder what we can do to protect ourselves after the new feedback policy is in place? Sellers won't be able to post negatives and warn other sellers about bidders such as 8880alan.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

For those of you who have sold to this deadbeat, I hope things turn out OK.

Now, what you should do is call eBay EVERY DAY and tell them this story and let them know this is what is going to happen when the feedback system changes. Stuff like this will get their attention MUCH faster than soemone selling $20 cards (or anything else) here and there.

I mean, if you are selling $5,000 cards on eBay and getting this kind of hassle, you can just take your business to Mastro or REA just as easily and eBay would then get squat. If enough dealers or Power Sellers do this, then maybe eBay management will get their collective head's out of their arses and do the right thing.

David

Old 01-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Administrator

David is absolutely right, but the bad thing is eBay makes money off of pond scum like 8880alan. Because even if every single seller requests a refund of the final value fee (some sellers invariably forget or it gets lost in the shuffle), eBay still made money on the listing fees of lots that won't be relisted. 8880alan increased eBay profits with his bogus winning bids, thus there is no incentive to protect sellers from miscreants like him.
Just wait until guys like that have no negatives and you can't tell the dirtballs from good buyers. It's gonna be a total fiasco for sellers!

Old 01-31-2008, 04:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Paradis

How is this done??

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2008, 04:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark T

here is a link....

http://pages.ebay.com/services/buyandsell/biddermanagement.html

Old 01-31-2008, 05:13 AM
Administrator

Maybe I'm missing something but I believe you will be better off in situations like this with the new policy. If a bidder doesn't pay, even 1 time, the seller would file a non-paying claim. The buyer then either has to pay up, or if he doesn't complete his part of the claim, all feedback he has ever left gets removed. Furthermore, his account would be in jeopardy of getting suspended.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matthew

Were is this guy from. i see he is from ny. just curious were in ny he is from.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Matt

A common response of many non-payers or scammers is that they never received the item. How will ebay's system deal with this? Is a seller now (or still) forced to get delivery receipt for every package if he wishes to file a non-paying complaint?

Old 01-31-2008, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Max - I'm not sure; that said, delivery confirmation costs less then $1 - certainly worth it for the protection.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Shepherd

Del. Conf. is free if you print a shipping label for Priority through Paypal. For parcel or 1st class I think it's less than a quarter. We'll worth it - but signature confirmation is the king.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Max,

Non-payers cant claim that the item hasnt been received - payment must be made before shipment. Now, I agree that there are other scams in which a bidder can pay and then seek a refund stating that he hasnt received the item, but that is a different situation than a NPB.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Administrator

<The buyer then either has to pay up, or if he doesn't complete his part of the claim, all feedback he has ever <left gets removed.

Matt, where does it say that? From what I read, all a deadbeat would have to do after the NPB has been filed is to reply to the NPB in any way (type anything in response) and they will then be free to leave negative feedback. You can still get your FVF refund, and he gets a strike, but the negative stays unless they happen to get NARU'd sometime in the future.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason Duncan

Also try canes.jersey........this jerk hit 2 BINs then emails me after the fact " no paypal, no $$, too risky. The jerk read my description stating check or MO only and still hit the BIN. I even emailed saying I would do it this one time just to get the deal. No payment as of yet. Did some research and turns out this homo is a transvestite according to google search on his name (my space). Un believable!

Old 02-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Had anyone been paid yet by this bidder thru e bay? Just noticed tonite that he was naru'd by e bay....I guess I will have to file for unpaid to get fees back, too bad.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel

Hi,

I'm a first time poster but have been lurking for some time. This board seems to have lots of great insights. Since the info others post here has helped me I thought I'd post about my most recent disheartening eBay experience in hopes it may help someone else. Pay it forward, so to speak.

I just had a run of auctions end in which one card, for $8,000, was fraudulently bid on and won by smartemptennis. As if that were not enough, in the same set of auctions I have another deadbeat bidder who won two items and is trying to dictate the terms of how he wants to pay. My auctions clearly state no paypal in several places and there is no logo on the auction showing I take paypal but that hasn't stopped the bidder, ppgustafson, from winning two items, making excuses and demands and not feeling he has any responsibility to pay.

I'm really concerned that once eBay establishes their new "buyer can never be wrong feedback system" losers like these two guys will come out of the woodwork, empowered by eBay to manipulate and extort small sellers simply trying to make an honest living.

Does anyone have suggestions, short of accepting paypal, to minimize the number of unscrupulous buyers that bid?

Thanks for your time,
Daniel

Please note that, in the end, ppgustafson paid by check. Thanks.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: rob

Well, this has irony and ugliness written all over it. The person who started this thread is the person who you are talking about. Heads up...

Old 02-04-2008, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Presume you're saying that Double-P-Enterprises is ppgustafson.

What's that old saying, "People in glass houses...."?

Old 02-04-2008, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: rob

Thats his e-mail address...unless it is "double-irony" and there are two ppgustafsons

Old 02-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry-Not so anonymous

As has been stated here and in other threads, the issue of not allowing sellers to honestly reciprocate deadbeat or threatening bidders with negatives is a really big PROBLEM and I addressed this issue with my platinum level sales rep. She was very understanding and agreed with me but etc, blah blah blah, unless many of you that sell call e bay, it is a problem that will not go away. They also have a community post section which anyone that sells should use. My response to her basically stated that I would no longer participate in any feedback system by leaving anymore new feedback at all if this was allowed to happen.

Accepting paypal is not something we feel we need but is a convenience for our customers and one possible way of letting e bay know we are tired of this particular stupid regulation coming is possibly to stop taking paypal altogether, it is NOT required for existing power sellers to take paypal yet.

A fair compromise for e bay is to allow sellers with 98% feedback or more to leave retaliatory feedback when:
a) they post thru the unpaid policy for the fvf
b) they e mail trust and safety that this was the situation such as non paying bidders, bidder that do not read terms etc.
c) a first strike negative was given to the seller without proven provocation.

In the coming months before this policy takes effect, ALL SELLERS SHOULD CALL E BAY, WRITE E BAY and BE READY for a fight, it is our right.