NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-28-2017, 08:35 AM
Paul Herbener

Default Do you guys think this 3000 hit ticket is real?

I just bought this ticket on ebay. It all adds up, he says he was at the game. I researched his info and he's 63 years old and lives near Pittsburgh., He sent it insured etc. I'm going to send it to psa for grading but at 45 business day turnaround will ebay still cover it if it proves fake?

Clemente 3000 hit ticket by Paul Herbener, on Flickr

Old 02-28-2017, 08:47 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I saw that auction, in the description he wrote a fan wrote on the back, then in the questions answered section he wrote that he attended the game.

That was a bit of a red flag for me, but I'd think you would know once you have it in hand, usually fakes are fairly easy to spot, unless they are getting better these days.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:26 AM
Paul Herbener

Paul, I'm just not sure. I collect mostly older tickets and have only done tickets recently. I'm pretty good with cards but not tickets. I'm concerned with the different shades of colors on the ticket and also now that you've said it, I realize he says a fan marked the back and then when answering questions he said he attended the game...
Old 02-28-2017, 09:54 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

I saw that auction too. I messaged him a few questions and he never responded. When sellers do not respond, I move on. Red flag for me. Also, for the condition of that ticket, the price seemed rather high. Just my two cents. Hope it is real!
Old 02-28-2017, 11:16 AM
Paul Herbener

Thanks Matt. He did answer some questions but we'll see. I'm thinking about returning it. as far as price though, it's getting tough to find this ticket in any grade for under $1000
Old 02-28-2017, 11:25 AM

From the photo, this Clemente 3,000th hit ticket does appear to be real.
I have seen several of these through the years. Red was one of their ticket stock colors.
If the cardboard in the exposed areas (chipped edge where no red is) appears old I believe you are safe.
Just my 2 cents.
By the way, if you are sending it to PSA, have it only slabbed as authentic. If you get it graded with a numerical grade, you will receive a 1 at best because of condition which will make it a challenge to resell down the line IMHO.
Scott

Last edited by Scott Garner; 03-01-2017 at 02:46 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:35 AM
Paul Herbener

Thanks a lot Scott. I was going to get it slabbed an A for just the reason you stated. I appreciate your advice!
Old 02-28-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherbener View Post
Thanks a lot Scott. I was going to get it slabbed an A for just the reason you stated. I appreciate your advice!
You're welcome, Phil! Good luck and nice pickup.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:28 PM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default clemente

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherbener View Post
I just bought this ticket on ebay. It all adds up, he says he was at the game. I researched his info and he's 63 years old and lives near Pittsburgh., He sent it insured etc. I'm going to send it to psa for grading but at 45 business day turnaround will ebay still cover it if it proves fake?

Paul
Clemente 3000 Hit ticket
FYI the ticket is 100% Genuine, the admission price is high
because of location of seat, the taxes are also right , as is the stock color is RED which is line with the higher seat pricing , the chipping on the edges also shows it is on a thicker cardboard stock
so from my prospective Ticket is 100% legit
I can give you all the info you need regarding PSA submissions
I am a Ticket consultant for PSA , and can guide you for your best options for submissions
email me for details
nice pick up

Last edited by megalimey; 02-28-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:38 PM
Dewey St. Germaine

The ticket looks good but I have four Pirates tix from 1972 from the Field Box, First Level seating that were priced at $4.15 too. I'm not familiar with all of the Pirates pricing that season but would two tickets in different areas of the stadium be the same exact price? Another thing I found interesting is the way the ticket is torn at the bottom compared to the ones I have. To get a straight tear right under that wording would be very difficult from what I can see. As you can see the wording - NO MONEY REFUNDED - is directly under that pretty close together. Not saying it's impossible but the tear looks too straight to me. I wonder if there's a chance this ticket could have been trimmed?

Here's a link to a couple of other Clemente 3000 hit stub examples that are on another website for what it's worth:
http://chicagotix.com/Baseball.shtml
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1972 Pirates Ticket Examples.jpg (20.9 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg 1972 Pirates Ticket Examples.Back.jpg (19.9 KB, 271 views)
Old 02-28-2017, 07:54 PM
Paul Herbener

Thanks for the info and link Dewey!
Old 02-28-2017, 08:07 PM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default straight tear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey2007 View Post
The ticket looks good but I have four Pirates tix from 1972 from the Field Box, First Level seating that were priced at $4.15 too. I'm not familiar with all of the Pirates pricing that season but would two tickets in different areas of the stadium be the same exact price? Another thing I found interesting is the way the ticket is torn at the bottom compared to the ones I have. To get a straight tear right under that wording would be very difficult from what I can see. As you can see the wording - NO MONEY REFUNDED - is directly under that pretty close together. Not saying it's impossible but the tear looks too straight to me. I wonder if there's a chance this ticket could have been trimmed?

Here's a link to a couple of other Clemente 3000 hit stub examples that are on another website for what it's worth:
http://chicagotix.com/Baseball.shtml
Dewey , straight off the bat I respect your assessment and concern on this ticket and have done business with you and would like to continue doing so ,
for me
the ticket stub tear being even is not unusual to find , I have seen many examples of Tickets where the line is perfectly straight ,
looking on ebay right now there are literally hundreds of clean and straight edge ticket stubs on them ,it is quite possible the ticket excess may have been removed or just torn carefully at the turnstile , also having a trimmed edge on a ticket is only a factor if it is slabbed and a grade is required , if it is Authentic Only , no condition reference is mentioned includes any writing or paper loss , Printing of tickets in the 1970's and earlier was a Letterpress production , that printing process would be hard to replicate with out that now out dated printing method that requires certain types of out dated hard to find equipment , let alone trying to find the pre colored old cover stock to print on , This ticket will not win any best in show
in my opinion I have no doubt its real , and I would pay what ever it was sold for on ebay with out hesitation
Old 02-28-2017, 08:47 PM
Dewey St. Germaine

David, I agree with you completely. I am not doubting the tickets authenticity. I was just comparing it to the tear on all my 1972 stubs, especially where the tear is located. As long as the buyer is happy with it that all that matters. Regardless, it's a sweet ticket stub!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalimey View Post
Dewey , straight off the bat I respect your assessment and concern on this ticket and have done business with you and would like to continue doing so ,
for me
the ticket stub tear being even is not unusual to find , I have seen many examples of Tickets where the line is perfectly straight ,
looking on ebay right now there are literally hundreds of clean and straight edge ticket stubs on them ,it is quite possible the ticket excess may have been removed or just torn carefully at the turnstile , also having a trimmed edge on a ticket is only a factor if it is slabbed and a grade is required , if it is Authentic Only , no condition reference is mentioned includes any writing or paper loss , Printing of tickets in the 1970's and earlier was a Letterpress production , that printing process would be hard to replicate with out that now out dated printing method that requires certain types of out dated hard to find equipment , let alone trying to find the pre colored old cover stock to print on , This ticket will not win any best in show
in my opinion I have no doubt its real , and I would pay what ever it was sold for on ebay with out hesitation
Old 03-01-2017, 05:19 AM
H Murphy

Paul very nice ticket, great addition to your already outstanding collection. Enjoy this item for years to come.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUM301 View Post
Paul very nice ticket, great addition to your already outstanding collection. Enjoy this item for years to come.
Thanks Hugh!!
Old 03-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Mikeknapp

Sorry for the late post but for the last week I have been in a panic searching for this ticket to share. I found it today whew! Nonetheless, here is a red unused ticket to opening day 1971. As you can see it has water staining on the upper left portion of the ticket which resulted in a loss of dye and exposes the paper stock beneath which is consistent with your stub. It sounds like you have already received confirmation but I thought I would add to the evidence for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg opening day.jpg (57.8 KB, 127 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)

Last edited by 71buc; 03-08-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:13 PM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Sorry for the late post but for the last week I have been in a panic searching for this ticket to share. I found it today whew! Nonetheless, here is a red unused ticket to opening day 1971. As you can see it has water staining on the upper left portion of the ticket which resulted in a loss of dye and exposes the paper stock beneath which is consistent with your stub. It sounds like you have already received confirmation but I thought I would add to the evidence for you.
Thanks for sharing Mike! Although I've been assured the ticket is real, seeing one with similar discoloration will let me sleep easier.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Damian Grammont

nice pickup!
Old 03-09-2017, 09:13 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalimey View Post
it is quite possible the ticket excess may have been removed or just torn carefully at the turnstile
Before the Mets started to use barcodes and scan tickets, I would pre-fold my tickets back and forth a number of times before presenting it to the ticket-taker, to ensure a perfect tear.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
Before the Mets started to use barcodes and scan tickets, I would pre-fold my tickets back and forth a number of times before presenting it to the ticket-taker, to ensure a perfect tear.
Haha! I used to do the same thing.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:14 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Before scanners I would take old tickets to the park along with my tickets for that nights game. If the ticket taker wasn't paying much attention or I could get him talking I would hand him the old tickets to tear. That way if anything interesting happened in that nights game I would have an unused ticket for it.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears