NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-21-2017, 07:44 PM

Default Help With Silk Card for SGC

I recently purchased this S74 silk of Chief Bender. I would like to submit it to SGC, but am a little confused on the difference between the white and colored versions. This is my first silk and I would love to learn more about them. Any help for my submission would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by justrun7; 03-21-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There are 2 different series of S74s. There are white background ones that came with a paper ad backing originally (as yours is and used to have one) and there are colored background ones. The colored ones have the mfg and factory info at top and bottom of the front and no paper back. SGC only grades the white ones, without backing, as AUT....if I recall correctly. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:46 PM
Todd Schultz

I believe Leon is correct that SGC will grade all whites without backing as "A".

The colored silks, which you know can include white or whitish-looking examples, have no backing, have the factory and manufacturer info as Leon mentioned, and are longer in size. IMO, they are not worth grading, and SGC is all over the board on these. This is one set where I routinely crack them out of the holders, as the silks are durable and not easily damaged and again, the grading is inconsistent, IMO.
Here's one of mine:

Edited to add: To be clear, I didn't mean to suggest they are not very valuable and thus not worth the grading--I love 'em and they will fetch nice $$$ when they look nice. Rather, I don't see the value added in paying for the privilege and I think you will end up disappointed and/or baffled by the grading results.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 03-21-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:51 PM

Thanks for all the info. Since it will only grade authentic, I may reconsider getting it graded. I guess it will come down to whether or not I want a slab for protection.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:03 PM
Gary McNabb

Default S74

I have only one S74-1 and several S74-2 in my Highlander type collection. My Hemphill's are a good example of the difference between the two. My Fords are a good example of another variation of S74-2 being that they have a white background with different color player instead of all one color. Anybody have any thoughts on this ????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5829.jpg (77.6 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5831.jpg (72.8 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5835.jpg (75.7 KB, 217 views)
Old 03-25-2017, 08:04 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Help With Silk Card for SGC

The S74 colored silks came in at least nine distinct colors, with many shades within each color. Off the top of my head: blue, green, tan. ivory, gold, purple, red, pink and orange. Some are more difficult (orange, purple, red and tan) but command very little, if any. premium. Blue and green are the most common. The ink comes in various shades of blue, black, red and brown, depending on the background color. Some colored silks have been observed with blank paper backing. It is unclear if this was as originally issued. A few examples can be seen on my website below.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:17 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhans View Post
The S74 colored silks came in at least nine distinct colors, with many shades within each color. Off the top of my head: blue, green, tan. ivory, gold, purple, red, pink and orange. Some are more difficult (orange, purple, red and tan) but command very little, if any. premium. Blue and green are the most common. The ink comes in various shades of blue, black, red and brown, depending on the background color. Some colored silks have been observed with blank paper backing. It is unclear if this was as originally issued. A few examples can be seen on my website below.
There are actually only three different colors of ink used on the silks; blue, brown and a reddish-rust color. If you look just at the printing on the white version silks it is pretty easy to determine and see. When coupled with certain shades or colors on the colored version silks, it may give the appearance that there are more than three different ink colors but, it is only those three. Below you can see the blue, brown and reddish-rust colored inks used on these three different blue colored silks. You can also see the subtle shade differences in the blue colored material used that Ed was mentioning.

Also, these are not printed on silk. In fact, if you view the advertisement on the back of a white version silk it clearly states these are on satin material. See post #5 above. And if you've ever held and felt the material of a white version silk, I'm not so sure you'd call it satin either. Not sure where the description "silk" originally came from and why that stuck as the name for these S-74s. I've always assumed it was from early collectors, like Burdick, lumping these in with other similar collectibles that actually were printed on silk, and just giving them all that same "S" designation that was used in the American Card Catalog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S74-2 Silks Blue Tones.jpg (65.9 KB, 180 views)
Old 04-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Val Kehl

Here's an example of a white silk with the Red Sun ad on the paper back:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S74 (white) Red Sun - Steinfeldt - front.jpg (73.7 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg S74 (white) Red Sun - Steinfeldt - back.jpg (72.3 KB, 134 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Great info. I concur that Burdick probably just lumped the silks and their ilk together...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
There are actually only three different colors of ink used on the silks; blue, brown and a reddish-rust color. If you look just at the printing on the white version silks it is pretty easy to determine and see. When coupled with certain shades or colors on the colored version silks, it may give the appearance that there are more than three different ink colors but, it is only those three. Below you can see the blue, brown and reddish-rust colored inks used on these three different blue colored silks. You can also see the subtle shade differences in the blue colored material used that Ed was mentioning.

Also, these are not printed on silk. In fact, if you view the advertisement on the back of a white version silk it clearly states these are on satin material. See post #5 above. And if you've ever held and felt the material of a white version silk, I'm not so sure you'd call it satin either. Not sure where the description "silk" originally came from and why that stuck as the name for these S-74s. I've always assumed it was from early collectors, like Burdick, lumping these in with other similar collectibles that actually were printed on silk, and just giving them all that same "S" designation that was used in the American Card Catalog.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:33 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Great info. I concur that Burdick probably just lumped the silks and their ilk together...
Very good Leon

The ilk of silk was the verdict of Burdick

The cotton was rotten and soon forgotten.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.