NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-20-2014, 07:36 AM

A few years ago I picked up a signed 1957 Brooks Robinson on EBay for $10 complete with the auto ticket from the show it was signed at. Seller listed it as Brooks Robinsom no one else saw the spelling error on the listing and I was the only bidder.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:56 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakoff View Post
I have both, but more modern. I usually have one case of vintage stars and a 3200 count box of low grade set fillers. No tobacco (yet).
Tobacco doesn't thrill me. Show me some 50s Topps though, and some Goudeys....that's cool!
Old 05-20-2014, 08:13 AM

I've told this story before but a few years ago I bought a Grover Cleveland Alexander signed baseball on the sweet spot for $80 on eBay.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:02 AM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
You must have not ever bought from me then! I give stuff away left and right!
What's your eBay ID?
Old 05-20-2014, 10:49 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiedoggy View Post
What's your eBay ID?
wandw-auctions. Howveer, I don't ship Internationally - except thru the Ebay gloabl shipping program. And I know how much you Canadians LOVEEEEE the Global Shipping Program, eh?
Old 05-20-2014, 11:44 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
wandw-auctions. Howveer, I don't ship Internationally - except thru the Ebay gloabl shipping program. And I know how much you Canadians LOVEEEEE the Global Shipping Program, eh?
I had never heard of this, but based on the following, it sounds like a way that I can continue offering free shipping, which has been my main concern, along with getting dinged for extra postage and customs delays, regarding shipping to Canada. I'm assuming the recipient picks up the added cost, thus your comment about Canadians not liking it. I'd like to know how that bit of the formula works.

How sellers are protected
  • With the Global Shipping Program, you're protected in the following ways:
  • You qualify for automatic 5-star protection on shipping and handling charge detailed seller ratings when you provide free domestic shipping to the US shipping center. If you receive a rating below 5 stars for shipping and handling charges, it won't count against your seller performance standards.
  • You qualify for automatic 5-star protection on shipping time detailed seller rating when you ship with same day or 1-day handling, upload tracking information within 1 business day of receiving cleared payment, and the item is delivered to the US shipping center within 4 business days. If you receive a rating below 5 stars for shipping time, it won't count against your seller performance standards.
  • Any negative or neutral feedback that can be attributed to the Global Shipping Program from item handling during international transit will be removed. See details.
  • You aren't responsible for item loss or damage that occurs after the item is forwarded by the US shipping center. Once an item has been forwarded by the US shipping center, you won't be responsible for refunding the buyer if an eBay Money Back Guarantee or PayPal Purchase Protection case is filed against you for one of the following reasons:
  • A buyer claims an item isn't received or
  • A package is damaged in transit
Old 05-20-2014, 11:55 AM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
[BEGIN RANT]

For good reason, eh! Two reasons why GSP is a bad idea is that ....

1) It is applied to low-cost items that I would never have to pay duty on in the first place. Its just another unnecessary cost to me. Unless eBay has some kind of arrangement with the Canadian Government of which I am unaware, I question the legality of it.

2) Canada Customs staff are paid quite nicely to perform their duties. No need for eBay to get involved. If I'm going to get charged duty, let Canada Customs make that decision, not FeeBay.

[END RANT]

Good day, eh!
Old 05-20-2014, 12:01 PM
Rob Ruddy

Default And another thing ...

[RESUME RANT]

Besides having to pay that stupid import fee, we also have to pay a shipping fee as well. Can you say "MONEY GRAB"?

[END RANT]

Last edited by auggiedoggy; 05-20-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:18 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I had never heard of this, but based on the following, it sounds like a way that I can continue offering free shipping, which has been my main concern, along with getting dinged for extra postage and customs delays, regarding shipping to Canada. I'm assuming the recipient picks up the added cost, thus your comment about Canadians not liking it. I'd like to know how that bit of the formula works.

How sellers are protected
  • With the Global Shipping Program, you're protected in the following ways:
  • You qualify for automatic 5-star protection on shipping and handling charge detailed seller ratings when you provide free domestic shipping to the US shipping center. If you receive a rating below 5 stars for shipping and handling charges, it won't count against your seller performance standards.
  • You qualify for automatic 5-star protection on shipping time detailed seller rating when you ship with same day or 1-day handling, upload tracking information within 1 business day of receiving cleared payment, and the item is delivered to the US shipping center within 4 business days. If you receive a rating below 5 stars for shipping time, it won't count against your seller performance standards.
  • Any negative or neutral feedback that can be attributed to the Global Shipping Program from item handling during international transit will be removed. See details.
  • You aren't responsible for item loss or damage that occurs after the item is forwarded by the US shipping center. Once an item has been forwarded by the US shipping center, you won't be responsible for refunding the buyer if an eBay Money Back Guarantee or PayPal Purchase Protection case is filed against you for one of the following reasons:
  • A buyer claims an item isn't received or
  • A package is damaged in transit
I had an expensive lesson this last week on the Global Shipping Program...I recently acquired a valuable lamp made by Lecoultre...I knew this would be desired by International bidders so I set the auction for Global Shipping Program only...it sold for $2,650 to an Italian bidder...ebay kicked it out of the GSP after the auction had ended. There is no way to send an item to Italy of that value and insure it for the full amount...the Italian Post Office is also notorious for "losing" items..especially valuable items...the Italians also have a laundry list of items that are not allowed to be shipped into their country..one of them being "antiques", and they do not return any items they deem unacceptable. So I refunded the Italian buyer and sold the lamp to the highest US bidder. The Italian buyer will not cooperate with me and cancel the transaction which has cost me over $200...he is also threatening negative feedback. All of this because ebay kicked my item out of the GSP AFTER it was over.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:16 AM

Default The lenox.....

he shipped it!
Old 05-21-2014, 04:32 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
he shipped it!
Good! It's refreshing to see an honest seller for a change. If one of his staff made an error resulting in a great deal for a potential buyer...the seller should honor the sale.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:14 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Good! It's refreshing to see an honest seller for a change. If one of his staff made an error resulting in a great deal for a potential buyer...the seller should honor the sale.

He is bound legally by ebay's terms and conditions, but how can it be enforced?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-21-2014, 06:02 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
He is bound legally by ebay's terms and conditions, but how can it be enforced?
It cant..and sellers reneg on deals all of the time for whatever reason.

And just the fact that some posters on here "assumed" that the deal would not be completed because a "mistake" was made on someone's part is a testament to the loose nature of ebay transactions.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:28 AM
Jason S!m@nds

That's a shame he shipped it. No one should get screwed over for that much money.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:32 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
That's a shame he shipped it. No one should get screwed over for that much money.
-1(I disagree)

Best way to learn a lesson...is to make a mistake.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:52 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
-1(I disagree)

It's still unfortunate. No one is trying to teach this man a lesson, if I lost out on $1,000+ I'd be pretty upset about it.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:52 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
-1(I disagree)

Maybe that employee was reprimanded and had to make up the difference in value?

On a similar, but side note, didn't the same thing happen at a card show over a Nolan Ryan rookie card?? Even though it was an Ebay transaction, I don't see how it can be forced to be followed thru, the same way the deal at the card show was never consumated and eventually had to go through the court systems.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:58 AM
pete ullman

I'm obviously in the minority here. No one wants to be responsible/accountable for their actions anymore.

If employee was reprimanded...he deserved to be! If seller lost $1000 due to carelessness...he deserved it.

What happened to being accountable...and repercussions?

Maybe the employee/seller who made a mistake here should be given an "I'll try harder next time trophy?"
Old 05-21-2014, 08:07 AM
Robert Williams

Cool....you made no mention of the comparable situation though. There is obviously a precedent that had to go thru the court systems. Whatever became of the Nolan Ryan rookie card that sold for, what, $12?
Old 05-21-2014, 08:11 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
I'm obviously in the minority here. No one wants to be responsible/accountable for their actions anymore.

If employee was reprimanded...he deserved to be! If seller lost $1000 due to carelessness...he deserved it.

What happened to being accountable...and repercussions?

Maybe the employee/seller who made a mistake here should be given an "I'll try harder next time trophy?"
Just because someone "deserved" it doesn't mean that people can't have mercy. Just as often as people don't want to be "responsible/accountable" there are people that don't know how to show compassion and mercy.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:13 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:

You're right, this guy obviously had it coming. Serves him right.

Hopefully you never experience any oversight or lapse in judgment, because apparently no one deserves a free pass.

Last edited by jhs5120; 05-21-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:14 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
there are people that don't know how to show compassion and mercy.
+1
Old 05-21-2014, 08:17 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
You're right, this guy obviously had it coming. Serves him right.

Hopefully you never experience any oversight or lapse in judgment, because apparently no one deserves a free pass.
I was never implying anyone had anything coming...or "deserves" to be punished.

In life we all make mistakes...and these mistakes usually provide invaluable learning experiences.

If we all were granted "free passes" when we made mistakes...the world would be a worse place.

That's fine...I'm done with this discussion...maybe I'm wrong...this is just my take on this situation.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:19 AM
Robert Williams

An online store is no different than a brick and mortar store. The person should not be "forced" to complete the trasnaction, the same way that kid took advantage of "good samaritan" watching the store and getting a Ryan rookie for $12. I am sorry, but if that was my Lennox card, then yes, I too would be sitting in court right now.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:26 AM
pete ullman

OK...this is my last comment!!!!!!! So basically anyone who has ever purchased a card at a steal of a price on ebay(due to sellers lack of knowledge regarding an item...or whatever reason)...should really contact the buyer and offer to sell him/her back the item at said bargain price...as they made a mistake and shouldn't be "punished" for it?

Whatever happened to ones knowledge offering a competitive advantage when purchasing collectibles?

Is this concept antiquated now? That knowledge is even necessary in a given collectible/antiquity category to gain an advantage of some sort?
Old 05-21-2014, 08:27 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
If we all were granted "free passes" when we made mistakes...the world would be a worse place.
No one is implying every mistake deserves a free pass, but when a small business owner forgets the value of an obscure t206 back, he certainly doesn't "deserve" (as you put it) to have someone take advantage of him.

It's just like the 100's of reprints on ebay. Just because the buyer doesn't know the difference between an authentic and reprinted t206 doesn't mean he deserves to be taken advantage of.

I agree, the world would be a worse place if everyone was given a free pass for each mistake they make, but it would be a far worse world if no one received a free pass ever.

Just my opinion.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:31 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

If the seller made a mistake, I don't believe he should be held accountable. If you accidentally included an extra "0" on a $40 check and wrote it for $400 instead, does the recipient get to keep the extra money just becuase of your mistake?

As I stated earlier, I am just a few minutes from the guy's shop and I'll swing by there on my lunch hour and find out what happend on his end.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:32 AM
pete ullman

biting my tongue...it really hurts!!!!
Old 05-21-2014, 08:38 AM
Brian Macdonald

Quote:
Bought a card on ebay a few years back, seller listed it with a "Buy it now" that was very low, and after some thought on my part realized it was clearly a mistake by the seller. After the seller contacted me about the item, I happily cancelled the transaction. He was able to re-list the item and sold it at auction at a more appropriate price for him.

No harm , no foul.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:40 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Please see ebay's T&C. I guess if you could prove damages, you absolutely in fact have a legal binding contract. Just because "it's Ebay" and "it happens all the time" doesnt hold water. Now proving it is a different subject

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-21-2014, 08:57 AM
J@son M1ller

I'm with you, Pete. Everyone has taken a hit now and again. That's how we learn.

We can still all join hands and sing though, if you want.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:58 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Ryan comparison

I remember the Ryan Rookie card sale very. The Ryan rookie was marked for $800 but the inexperienced clerk misread the price as $8.00.

What I would like to know here is if the Lenox seller paid market price for the card or if the card was purchased as part of a lot as a common card. If the seller purchased the card as a common do they feel obligated to track down the original seller and correct the previous transaction? If they do not intend on correcting the original transaction they have very little justification for canceling this transaction.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I am in the unpopular opinion crowd in thinking if they made a mistake they should be able to cancel the sale. I understand the contract thing and all of that but if it were me that made a mistake I would want some compassion on being able to fix it...and on the converse if I found a 10k card for $10 and the seller canceled it, I would understand. Don't get me wrong, if he still shipped it I would accept it, but I would understand if he didn't. Just one opinion here....

Now, if it were an auction style sale then that is different and I don't think canceling an auction sale is cool, unless there was some extraordinary issue other than this kind of mistake.....
Old 05-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Go for it!

You know you want to ...
Old 05-21-2014, 10:05 AM
Dan Bretta

My brother and I both use the same ebay ID...we own an antique shop together...I was at home listing postcards with a BIN of $9.99...he was at the shop and unbeknownst to me he started listing some items...he did not realize that the ebay auction software was set to Buy It Now instead of auction and he listed a Major Matt Mason playset that normally sells for $200-$300...someone hit the BIN within minutes of his listing it...we quickly notified the buyer that it was a mistake and tried to cancel the transaction...he refused. We just relisted it correctly as an auction and the guy left us a negative.

I don't think we had any moral obligation to complete the transaction...it was a mistake, they happen.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:05 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Lenox card

On the Lenox card in question, the buyer is a member of these boards and is reading this thread with great interest. In this case I know for a fact that the seller has not reached out to the buyer to request canceling the sale and I know for a fact that while eBay lists the card as "shipped", the USPS has no tracking information available. There is no evidence that the card has in fact left Houston.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Sebastian

Well I for one will make sure I never get another deal on Ebay, and I will be sure to keep cash on hand just incase I buy something below market value.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:17 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
On the Lenox card in question, the buyer is a member of these boards and is reading this thread with great interest. In this case I know for a fact that the seller has not reached out to the buyer to request canceling the sale and I know for a fact that while eBay lists the card as "shipped", the USPS has no tracking information available. There is no evidence that the card has in fact left Houston.
I think an appropriate resolution might involve the seller contacting the buyer, explaining the situation, and requesting to cancel the transaction. I would also think that it might be appropriate for the seller to offer a certain compensation for the purchasers time and consideration. Maybe $100 or something along those lines.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:19 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
What I would like to know here is if the Lenox seller paid market price for the card or if the card was purchased as part of a lot as a common card. If the seller purchased the card as a common do they feel obligated to track down the original seller and correct the previous transaction? If they do not intend on correcting the original transaction they have very little justification for canceling this transaction.
+1. The fact that the card was listed with a bunch of T206 commons leads me to believe that it was acquired by the seller as a common card (otherwise, why wouldn't it be separated from the low $$ merchandise). If the seller didn't pay top dollar for the Lenox, the he's not "losing" $1000+, he's just not making out on a huge potential profit. Lesson learned.

If the seller did indeed pay top dollar or close to top dollar on the Lenox and someone listed it incorrectly, then I feel that he would be justified in cancelling the deal.
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:24 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

People talking about apples, oranges, mangos, and pomegranates. They're all fruit but not the same.

Listing something at $8.00 when the intent was to list something at $800 is not of the same fruit as listing something at $8.00 because you aren't aware of the value.

As to compassion. Compassion that is forced is not compassion.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:31 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
People talking about apples, oranges, mangos, and pomegranates. They're all fruit but not the same.

Listing something at $8.00 when the intent was to list something at $800 is not of the same fruit as listing something at $8.00 because you aren't aware of the value.

Agreed.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Alex

This is an interesting conversation. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. However, I am impressed by the sense of equity that some of you expressed. Your sense of "doing the right thing" and that "everyone makes mistakes" is uplifting.

Personally I believe that for better or worse a deal is a deal. The best lessons I learned were from my own mistakes. One of my favorite lines is from the movie Rounders and goes something like this - "I can't remember how I made my bankroll but I can't stop thinking about how I lost it."
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:35 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post

In both this instance and the Nolan Ryan rookie card instance, and employee, or someone working for the business owner incorrectly sold something at the wrong price. I don't think that is apples and oranges.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:40 AM
Alex

Quote:
In both this instance and the Nolan Ryan rookie card instance, and employee, or someone working for the business owner incorrectly sold something at the wrong price. I don't think that is apples and oranges.

Has the seller said why the card was priced at that amount?
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:43 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:

How do you know this? Did seller miss a decimal point--was going to sell it for $2495.00? I don't think so. Did he list the wrong item? He identified it as Lennox, twice, so I don't think so. Did he not know what he had? Probably.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:44 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default I do see apples and oranges

In the case of the Ryan card the seller paid a hefty price for the card and then tried to flip for a profit. Selling at the low price involved loss of money in the transactions. In the case of the Lenox we do not know if the seller bought it as a common and sold it as a common, in which case there is the loss of profit but not money. If the seller bought at a premium I question why the didn't take better care of the card to ensure it was listed appropriately. If they bought as a common, does the seller feel obligated to go back to the original seller and correct the original transaction? Because unless the seller plans on going back to correct the original deal they are wanting to play both sides of the game and have no moral rights to the card or the excess profits they will make that should have gone to the original seller.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:54 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
In the case of the Lennox, where is it stated that an employee listed it wrong? I may have missed that.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:57 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I misspoke earlier when I mentioned the name of the seller. I said that is was a friend of mine, Howard Lau, who owns a shop here in town. I had the eBay usernames confused with another friend. Howard is not the owner of the card. However, the correct owner has been notified and we’ll see if he ships it or not. That’s up to him.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

Ultimately in life it's better to do the right thing. Not too long ago an auction house had a BIN sale where they dramatically underpriced a Cracker Jack card -- they listed it at SMR but in fact the market value was several times that (SMR is notoriously off on CJs and they refuse to fix it). I was tempted just to buy it, and make a tidy profit but decided to alert them instead.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-21-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Ultimately in life it's better to do the right thing. Not too long ago an auction house had a BIN sale where they dramatically underpriced a Cracker Jack card -- they listed it at SMR but in fact the market value was several times that (SMR is notoriously off on CJs and they refuse to fix it). I was tempted just to buy it, but decided to alert them instead.
I did that too. I saw one of our members list a card erroneously on ebay not too long ago. It was a several hundred dollar Zeenut he had miss listed for a small fraction of that. A very obvious mistake. I hit the BIN immediately to protect him. I told him about it, he thanked me and we canceled the sale. I thought in the time I alerted him that someone else might have hit the BIN, before he closed the auction down, and then he would have possibly had a bigger issue.