NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Default Highest Price Baseball Related

Posted By: Anonymous

I deleted the edacra guy's post as it was inflammatory and anonymous...which is against board rules...I went ahead and left the others......regards

Old 07-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

After having read the responses, I have to ask David if he's a father. You are one patient dude.

Old 07-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: edacra

I'm a little confused about this anonymous thing as it's not my intention - I'm using foxfire, with a mac and it doesn't auto fill these forms. Are aliases not allowed on this forum at all?

...and I wasn't intending to be inflammatory, I was responding towards the derogatory attitude this kid was getting for his age specifically...and I just think it's crummy the way people are ganging up.

Oh, and I'm Jewish, and religious, and I like collecting Judaic related items on occasion...so perhaps my satirical comments were misunderstood... I was really just referencing that maturity, and board conduct have nothing to do with age. Hell, maybe I've even proved it. I don't like being censored though.

Old 07-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Administrator

The three posts questioning the anonymous status, and then saying my posts were deleted were posted by the forum owner - under anonymous. So apparently it's an easy mistake to make?

Old 07-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

edacra,

Just as a response to the ageist thing ... I don't have a thing against Sean because he is 11. There are a few 14 year olds on this board that would not even be known as 14 except that they've posted the info at some point - they are treated completely the same as the others.

It's the badgering and constant, incessant follow up - not pure age - that put a few of us off. This behavior is also not well-received when done by an adult either on this board.

I don't think I've read anything that suggests that any poster dislikes younger posters per se, nor that anyone is being an adult "dick" as someone put it. Turning a cold shoulder because someone is young is being just that. But asking someone to stop making repetitious and irritating posts is not.

This board has a culture. And the nature of that culture is preserved by the participants. For all the frequent disagreements, near class warfare, debates and outright screaming arguments, they still fit within a culture that is largely acceptable. Behavior inconsistent with the culture gets a poor reception and is often short-lived.

It's not anyone being mean, nasty or ageist. It's just the way this awesome group holds together a little society with almost no guidelines outside of mutually acceptable behaviors.

Joann

(And I was thinking that edacra is arcade backwards and trying to remember if anyone on the board has an amusement industry connection! lol)

Old 07-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Administrator

It is Arcade backwards! Joanne thanks for the reply...

I think my post was misconstrued in many ways. I would never use the term "Ageist" sincerely, for one thing. Though there were several replies that implied this is an adult board, or worse, that collecting was adult stuff...right? Didn't I read a suggestion that he should be out playing instead? I felt that deserved a response. From an adult

As for being a part of a culture and fitting in - I haven't been in this forum that long and already I've been censored... but I can tell you I've been collecting off and on since the 70's.

I honestly haven't even read one of Sean's topics before...I skipped over them just like I skipped over the "Who's your favorite player" one.

Old 07-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

edacra,

I understand how you interpreted some of the posts, but I think many were well intended and based on experience of the posters (go play outside, play catch with your dad, collect with your dad, etc).

As to the anonymous/censoring rule: it's not a matter of login/signin. It's a board practice (policy actually, but I prefer practice b/c most people do it as a matter of course) that if you post something that is potentially inflammatory, antagonistic, even sometimes controversial, that you sign it with your full real name. I have done so once or twice in the past. It's a matter of people having to stand up for their opinions and not just do the sh*t-n-git, and also helps w/any trolls. If someone won't sign a post it can be deleted. I've even seen long-time posters here that everyone knows sign their names to something controversial - it's actually pretty routine.

So I don't think it was about your log in or even IP, even though that was mentioned. People just sign their posts or they get censored. The deleting isn't about content or person posting at all. I think you could probably post just about anything you wanted as long as it is on topic and includes your name.

So call that one a misunderstanding and continue forward posting! Someone that has been collecting as long as you can surely add to the conversation.

My interpretation - Leon, jump in if I've misstated the rules and policies.

Joann

(For what it's worth .. the value of young collectors is a theme that appears time and time again on this board. I can think of many members that would fall all over themselves trying to help and explain vintage cards to someone young. Sean has only been posting a few days, and I think that the style has frustrated some that are bursting to share knowledge with the next generation. Just my take - I can't speak for everyone. But most seem to really appreciate the next collectors. If there aren't future collectors, many of our collections are destined for landfills - SOMEONE has to care about them after we're gone! )

Old 07-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

When you open a new post in this forum, I view it as opening a room with a subject listed at the door. If those who enter feel that what is contained in the further description is worthy of comment, they do so. If not, then they do not.

To enter Sean's room and behave as was done is, in my estimation, a discourtesy. It seems more proper that if you do not like what is going on in Sean's room, move on. If he seeks an audience, he will quickly learn how to best generate one.

Sean broke none of the posted Forum Rules. If other rules need to be applied to him, those rules should be specified. But I do not feel that special rules are applicable. If you treat Sean as you do everyone else, our system will work. No single individual in his own "room" or "rooms" can impact the functioning of this Forum, imho.

Old 07-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I didn't put my name where it should be, by accident, but folks know me. The board rules are such that you put your name next to your post, UNLESS you are well known by your handle/email, if there is any contorversial or "opinionated" statements. It's actually a fairly small community of posters on this board. The fact that my email address was there and I am sort of the forum owner makes my identity fairly well known. Yours, my friend, is not, and as such, unless you would like to come forward with your first and last name, will have all posts summarily deleted, that have any controversial or opinionated responses, per the boad rules. For the record I am Leon Luckey. This really isn't personal and you are probably a nice guy.... You are? best regards

Old 07-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

While Sean's posts exasperated me at times, I agree with Gil. Sean's a kid and we should respect that above all.

Old 07-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Administrator

With all due respect concerning Sean. Anything that is deemed detrimental to our board, by me, is against the rules. The frequency of, and nature of, his recent posts have made me feel that way..That is not debatable....best regards

Old 07-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

well said Gil

Old 07-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Administrator

With all due respect, I disagree. His rights do not come before the rights of this community, imo.....regards

Old 07-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Same thing as I just stated to Jeff...I feel that his posts in all of those threads, if continued, would be detrimental to the board.....for sure in the long run, imo....

edited to add that if Sean starts this one thread, and keeps all of the drivel to it, then I don't have a problem....and yes, everyone can just not open it if they don't want to....he should be able to have fun in his thread...

Old 07-01-2006, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Your point is well taken, Leon. In fact, he did not stay in his own rooms, but visited the EPDG thread, and maybe others. The fear of disruption was expressed by EPDG participants.

And as you point out, we need your vigilence and judgement. Please do not construe anything I have said as an attempt to circumvent or usurp this authority.

Edited to add:

I just checked Websters: "drivel" is the best word for use in this context.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Leon, it's your forum, and a private forum. Your rules go. I'm not complaining, or asking for an explanation, but I did find it ironic.

I made a petty mistake in the login when I posted, made a phone call, came back, and saw the aftermath of posts asking my name,and worse checking my IP. That's sort of invasive and harsh. Jeez. I didn't libel anyone, I didn't threaten anyone, I didn't indulge in any ethnic bashing. I wasn't aware I was saying anything controversial. I just thought I had a difference of opinion. So? I truly don't feel comfortable giving you my full name in light of that now, unless it's in private on a need to know basis. I'm starting to wonder if my posts here have the same powers as Sam Berkowitz's television set. That again was a joke.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Administrator

"I understand how you interpreted some of the posts, but I think many were well intended and based on experience of the posters (go play outside, play catch with your dad, collect with your dad, etc)."

Then I hope Sean isn't a severe asthmatic, with an estranged father, like I had. That's why I started collecting. The attitude within the hobby is why I ever stopped. It just boils down to saying "you're not on the team"...and that's not cool.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Like I said..it's nothing personal. This forum is such that you really can't have a big opinion on something without putting your name by it. If you want to stay in the very factual card threads then you may talk about cards all you want and stay anonymous. If strong opinions come out then you need to put your name by them...Yes, I found your opinions strong, and therefore asked you to adhere to the rules....that's all...I hope you hang around but please do be careful while being anonymous. The deal is that I could make it where no one could be anonymous but the board doesn't think that's the best thing. We have been over this many times before....best regards

btw, edacra...if it was a mistake to not login with your name you have hadd plenty of time to correct it...but it's not mandatory yet and you can explain yourself more if you wish.....

Old 07-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Personally I agree with many of the opinions in this thread. I feel that it is certainly important to help educate others and, personally, I find helping others in this community to be a rewarding experience. However the only thing that has been stated so far that I am not in agreement with is the statement that none of the rules have been broken.

As many of you know, I very RARELY get involved with the censoring and deleting of threads. However, this week I've noticed quite a few that I've had to wipe out unfortunately. I've removed a few in particular that have shown a disregard for our rules about thread hijacking and posting anonymously. Things became so bad that at one point, Leon had to start a thread just to ask certain individuals to please not interfere with/ruin specific threads that have been popular with other members.

I believe that when Leon says that the posts of certain individuals has become detrimental to the board, this is one of the examples he is referring to. It is a disappointment for individuals interested in that particular topic to have it taken in a different direction all of a sudden. It also decreases the educational value of the thread to the person who originally authored it.

My two cents anyway, hope everyone has a great holiday weekend upcoming,

-Brian

Old 07-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

I visit this board a few times a week, but for some reason rarely post. Although I'm from the skip and move on school of what to do if you don't like a topic, I find myself coming back for the next dramatic installment of this thread. :--)

“A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.” - English Proverb

Old 07-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Administrator

"I believe that when Leon says that the posts of certain individuals has become detrimental to the board, this is one of the examples he is referring to. It is a disappointment for individuals interested in that particular topic to have it taken in a different direction all of a sudden. "

This is referencing another member right? It's my understanding this is the first post I've made which was deleted. Seeing as the majority of posts in this particular thread were bashing the subject, and the member who posted it, I think this is equally as constructive. Should I apologize for the distraction? The subject matter, and the member itself seemed well bashed by the time I posted. As I'm new here, I thought my posts were well within the acceptable tone allowed on this board. I really never notice when Sparklekitten007 logs in under Ralph McRealName to show they mean business. I don't intend to be controversial under any name - and I can't imagine I really said anything which hit that deep of a nerve. This board never struck me as being all that precious or easily offended. That's an uneducated observation I guess, so sorry if that too offends you.

Leon - I'm filling out the "your name" portion of the login box. Underneath it, there is a login name identifying me, too. If you're asking for my government name, I'm offering it outside the forum. I hope you understand, the internet is a funny place, and I was just falsely accused of ethnic bashing (when I was making a statement against it) along with requests to check my IP. So somehow posting my full distinctive name doesn't strike me as the smartest idea at the moment, and surely you can respect that.

If you'd like to contact me via email because you feel there's something that still needs to be resolved, it's arcadeadct@aol.com - this invite goes for any one of you.

I'm not here to make a fuss, and I think this has run it's course. I'll stick to the card talk for now on, and leave the drama to the people with real names, like you suggested.

ps...edited to say it was not you, edacra, that Brian was referring to....peace......(leon)

Old 07-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Enright, Daniel

If those who feel compelled to defend Sean's rights to free style speech were to read all of his posts/responses thus far, and then imagine that style of conversing repeated over, and over, and over again...........in myriad topics, started by you or others............and imagine a full summer of it, hmmmm, please get back to me on that.

Many people simple don't have the time to thrash through topics they enjoy - where the train of thought and "conversational style" of this board is completely lost because of a hyper kid on a keyboard.

So, to those who find his style not beleaguering, there's an 11 year old we all know who could be your best buddy, and text message you all day long with baseball related questions. Just consider it a big brother program!

Daniel

edited for re-spelling the word compelled, as I was similarly for the egregious mistake - and egregiously hath Daniel answered it.......

Old 07-02-2006, 01:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

edacra,

No one is picking on you this board has a history and because of this history rules have had to be made to be less conflict. If you are not comfortable with the rules than do not post. Leon has explained him self too many times for the same thing in this thread.

For you guys that support Sean, send him private emails and correspond with him, he is too immature and not ready to contribute to this board. Just look at his response in the favorite seeason, he has no clue. If you think it is harsh tough, that's the way I feel.

If anyone thinks any of us have a problem with youths on this board just ask Zach, I believe he is 16 know and became a valuable contributor to this board.

Maybe if you guys going to the National and meeting at the dinner Sean will be there. You won't have to worry about punctuation. Who gets to sit next to him?

Lee

Old 07-02-2006, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff lichtman

Ok, Lee, you convinced me with the dinner analogy....I may never eat again.

Old 07-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

How about just reading Sean's posting and not responding at all. Maybe after a few posts with no feedback, Sean will will realize he should be taking the this more seriously? This might have him think about the questions and start learning more about cards in the process. I think he just loves this attention. Sort of like the 7-8 year dancing and singing for attention in front of adults trying to carry on a conversation.

Joe