NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-26-2011, 08:58 AM

Default What am I missing?

So a recently completed auction for 9 1936 Goudeys (2 wide pen, 7 fine pen - with Frisch and Averill) sold on Ebay for $405. Really??? What am I missing??? These cards usually go for $3-4 a piece. Is there some variation I'm missing? Is the "1960's Ty Cline Cleveland Indians Photo card it is signed on front and back" something rare? Or is this just one of those shill bidding driving up prices type of thing on Ebay?

I'm totally scratching my head over why someone would pay this much for these (and why someone else would push the bidding to this level!).

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Looking at the bid history. Only 2 bidders went above $35. Maybe others sniped in late but were below the current amount... I too wonder what they saw. Anyone?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Dave

Looks like two type A's with "Top All Bids disorder" ran into each other in last second bidding and somebody lost. Probably the guy who won.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Jeffrey D. Mohler

I was the high bidder on this lot. I believe that four of the cards are very scarce Gold Medal Flour R313A cards - Hale, Harder, Averill and Vosmik. Tim Newcomb had an article on the checklist additions to the Gold Medal cards in an early issue of Old Cardboard. If they aren't Gold Medal cards I am going to be sorry!

BTW, two of the other cards are scarcer Type II Goudey wide pens, but they are only worth about $20.00 each.

Jeff
Old 04-26-2011, 11:30 AM

There WAS something I was missing! Thanks Jeff for sharing the reason behind your bid. I hope you're right about the variation!

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 04-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmohler View Post
I was the high bidder on this lot. I believe that four of the cards are very scarce Gold Medal Flour R313A cards - Hale, Harder, Averill and Vosmik. Tim Newcomb had an article on the checklist additions to the Gold Medal cards in an early issue of Old Cardboard. If they aren't Gold Medal cards I am going to be sorry!

BTW, two of the other cards are scarcer Type II Goudey wide pens, but they are only worth about $20.00 each.

Jeff
Or it was just two guys that actually knew what they were doing.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Yup, $400 is a steal for that lot.... Missed them Wheaties cards again
Old 04-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Jeff, I was the guy that cost you an extra $360 as I was the underbidder. I knew when I saw the lot I was going to win them for a song or get outbid at around $400 or so, unfortunately it was the latter as I really did want to win them.
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 04-28-2011, 07:37 AM
Jeffrey D. Mohler

Just thought I would update the board - the cards did arrive yesterday. The Seller packaged the cards well and the shipping on the package cost more than the fee on Ebay!

The cards were in good to very good condition. I was hoping for VG-EX based on the scans, but that was not to be. I am still pleased though, since how often do you see these for sale?

Jeff
Old 04-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Bill

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...