NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Pre-WWII cards (E, D, M, W, etc..) B/S/T

Old 04-17-2006, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Default THANKS FOR HELPING ME TRY (E-125 Wagner, etc.)

Posted By: Paul

**** News at the bottom of the thread ****

I have decided at the last minute to see if I can raise enough money to buy a particularly expensive card in the Mastro auction. I am making available some of the true treasures from my collection. There are not many cards in the world that I would sell these for, but one of them is in Mastro's auction. It is almost a certainty that these cards will never be available again until my estate sale.

I've included scans of them below. None have back damage except the E90-2 Wagner, and I've included a scan of its back. Also the E-125 Wagner has a small piece of clear tape on the back of his wrist, reinforcing that delicate area.

If interested in any of these, please make an offer to me at pstewart@kmob.com AND at pch103@yahoo.com. I obviously need to receive the offers before Mastro's auction closes on Thursday April 20th. Please only make offers if you genuinely intend to pay. Just so that there is no confusion or disappointment, I do want to say up front that if I do not win the card in the Mastro auction, I don't plan on accepting any of the offers. Thank you very much for your interest, and here they are.

E125 Honus Wagner:

E90-1 Joe Jackson Rookie:

N173 Old Judge Cabinet King Kelly (small pinhole at top visible in scan):

E90-2 Honus Wagner:

E90-2 Honus Wagner back:

T-204 Ramly Jesse Burkett BLANK BACK:

1924 Exhibit Al Simmons Rookie:

Honey Boy Harry Heilmann:

Lincoln Publishing Rube Waddell:

D381 Fleischman Honus Wagner:

[Edited to fix an embarrasing mistake.]

Old 04-17-2006, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff

Hi Paul. I am very interested in the E90-1 Jackson. I would like to find out more information on the card. What grade is it? What price are you looking for? Where are you located? Please email, thanks jeff

Old 04-17-2006, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot

Interested in your Heilmann card. Email details.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

you are saying that if you do not win the auction item you WILL NOT accept any of these offers. It was kind of lost in your post.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am thinking the same thing. Not sure if we want to be doing contingent sales on the board? I think we need to be careful here guys.....

Old 04-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

I understand what you're saying Leon. But, I think Paul is trying to feel out how much money he can turn, if he does win the card. A bit dangerous but I give him credit for being resourceful.

Old 04-17-2006, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Yes, I'm trying to buy a card that I simply can't afford unless I sell some of these cards. But I absolutely don't want to sell these cards unless I win the card in the Mastro auction. And I don't want to bid in Mastro's auction unless I have some sense that my cards will bring me roughly enough money. I'm not asking anyone to commit to buying anything, so I know there is some risk that potential buyers won't follow through on their offers. But that's a risk I'm taking.

Leon, if there is anything wrong with this, feel free to shut it down. But I don't see what's wrong. Lots of other people take offers on their cards and they are free to accept or reject the offers for any reason at all. I'm just telling everyone upfront that I might choose to reject all offers, and I'm telling them why. Maybe I said too much in my post and just should have solicited offers without further comment.

{Edited to add -- I wrote this before seeing Anson's post).

Old 04-17-2006, 11:41 PM
Administrator

ok for now....just a little bit of a slippery slope in asking folks to make offers on what might not be for sale. I didn't say anything was deceiving or unethical....just be careful.....What if they make an offer now and then when the card gets won they back out? Just be careful...

Old 04-18-2006, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Ernst

I'll echo Leon's thoughts---having bought and sold 70+ vintage Corvettes over the years, I know that an offer is good only at the time I make it. It's not like "I'll offer you this, and now for the next 10 days you can run around and see if you can top mine, and if you can't, then although mine is now obviously too high, I'll still honor it."
As the potential buyer, if the seller-to-be comes back to me and, after a period of time, comes back to me and says he'll accept my offer, I know I'm in the driver's seat (figuratively). I'm now at the point where the bargaining really begins, and I'm certainly not going to pay him what I offered, unless it was already a bargain for me.
FWIW

Old 04-18-2006, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

Paul is one of the good guys in the hobby. I have spoke to him in the past and believe he is a honest and sincere person.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Chris,

Thank you for the kind words. And Leon and Mike, I do appreciate the words of caution. I recognize that there's some risk here. But if I receive 5 offers that are roughly the same, I think it's fairly safe to assume that I've found the market value, and even if all 5 people back down, I can auction the card off and get roughly what I was offered. If I get an offer that is way out of line, I will hope the person follows through, but I know I can't count on it.

Paul

Old 04-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Administrator

You were very up front about it and that is all good. I think you and I have had a few dealings and no worries at all. I was only asking to exercise some caution.....I know you are one of the good guys....carry on...

Old 04-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Just a reminder to everyone that I need to receive offers by the end of the day today, or early tomorrow at the latest. Candidly, the card that I want is selling for more than I expected, so I do need to raise more money than expected. Please get your offers in and make us both happy. Thanks.

Paul

Old 04-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

Paul, I hope the card you're eyeing isn't Hal's Wagner

Old 04-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Administrator

No, but the way things are going, it'll sell for more.

Old 04-21-2006, 07:31 PM
Administrator

I wanted to publicly thank everyone who made offers on my cards. I was attempting to purchase Mastro's W600 Burkett. But even selling all of the cards I listed would not bring me the 32K it would now take to win that card. So my plan to buy that card has gone down in flames. (If only everyone offered me double what they actually offered ...). I wouldn't have even dreamed of bidding on the card if it wasn't for this B/S/T thread. So I do want to thank Leon and everyone who made an offer for keeping my dream alive if only for a couple of days.

Paul

Old 04-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

Glad to see you come on the board and declare which card you were shooting for. I was a bit curious.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

ok