NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2014, 08:39 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Default Fun With Set Building...67 Topps

So a couple of weeks ago I began my dive into the 1967 Topps set. I had put this set off after I painfully put the 66 high series to bed and at the time didn't want to go thru that again. Now I am ready...so I thought I would share a couple of the fun "wins" we all get when we start. Like most here, I purchase a few lots, sort them, and start from there. I started with only about 10 random stars I had for a while (Ford, Aaron, Mantle, etc...). I ended up with 4 really nice large lots, all cards in EX or better...just great lots. (Thanks Scott (sgd57)!!)

After all the sorting and bindering them up...I got online and googled all the variations. I am not a variation collector, but if I end up with any in my lots, I keep them. I have found error/variation cards in 55s & 69s in the past this way, and do love having them. I am sure if the day ever comes where my Topps run is complete, I will probably start looking for those like some here. Fun down the road. Well, I was fortunate to find a couple!

Here is the first - the Paul Shaal "green bat" variation. I don't think it is that rare, and in all the lots I only ended up with 1 card...so it's the only card I own -

Up next is the Jackson/Wilson "line variation". Notice the black line on the bottom of the stat line is missing, and one is present. I was lucky enough to get both for this one -

Lastly I was nicely surprised to see both variations on the Mike Ryan. Notice one has a "dot" on the "i" in the signature, the other is missing.

Again, all new to me and it doesn't look like they carry much premium but fun to find both cards on the variations in the lots. 67 seems to have quite a few fun things to look for!

Up next I went to my local card shop who to my surprise had a really nice selection of 67s. I LOVE this shop, but his vintage is hit or miss and he prices everything at Ebay or lower, so it moves. If you see something you like, you better get it, it certainly won't be there long. For this reason you never know where he sits with vintage commons...the vendor box had abut 1500, more than any other year. I as able to find 80 cards needed (could have grabbed another 20 or so but left them behind due to lower condition). He had them priced at .75 apiece, which is excellent.

Now here is the cool part...I was able to find 7 cards in the high series. He also had a poor Maury Wills I left behind (DANGIT!) and two of them show up on the SP list. First up is card 591, Ty Cline...nice card for 75 CENTS!! I love these finds...makes it fun -

The other SP was the Sandy Alomar. The card does have a crease in the upper left hand corner, so I will have to replace soon. But for .75 cents I wasn't passing it up. Great holder...and actually for a high SP a great card...

I was also able to pick up 3 checklists (Clemente, Marichal, Kaat), 4 Leaders, several team cards, several combo cards (Kaline, Killebrew, Colavito, Mays, ect) and minor stars/HOFers like Mazeroski, Wilhelm, Mathews, Stottlemeyer, and Niekro among the 80 cards.

After only a couple weeks I am off to a great start, 487/609, with a good blend of needs through the high series. Eyeing a couple Carews and Seavers and learning the hard SPs (knew about the Brooks, found out about the Tommy John and Mickey Stanley to name a few, lol). Having fun...this is what its all about for me...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03

Last edited by Harliduck; 01-02-2014 at 08:42 PM.