NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 12-30-2023, 02:40 PM

Default Newsboy Sullivan

My apologies. There was a typo in my post. The Sullivan is #1068. I sent a scan of it to Reeve back in 2006, and I think he listed it as #1065 accidentally on his site. Sorry for the confusion.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/Abaran
Old 12-30-2023, 03:05 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baran View Post
My apologies. There was a typo in my post. The Sullivan is #1068. I sent a scan of it to Reeve back in 2006, and I think he listed it as #1065 accidentally on his site. Sorry for the confusion.
No apology needed, thank you for correcting. It messes with my formatting when I have to assign two numbers because I can't read it cleanly. Updated the original post checklist and annotated the Sullivan specific post to correct my confusion and identify it as 1068.

Something tells me we won't be confirming the second and third theoretical variations of this card anytime soon...
Old 01-04-2024, 02:47 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Found another version of Jackson, hidden and buried away in plain sight by... being in my own collection.

Right foot straight - Font 1 - no number or name in photo - name on mount with no number on mount.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1934.jpg (82.4 KB, 129 views)
Old 01-05-2024, 10:49 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Found another of 72 Corbett portrait, from an old Lelands auction with a regrettably poor image available.

This one has the number in the photo, but not the name. The name is on the mount, and it appears the number is missing from the font. Font 1.

This is the 19th confirmed Newsboy boxer. I suspect we have at least 6 or 7 more to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N566 72 Corbett 2 Font 1.jpg (48.9 KB, 119 views)
Old 01-10-2024, 11:58 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Probable cards we are missing confirmation of and I am looking for pictures of:

23 Corbett - Probably a Campbell version of the Corbett portrait

72 Corbett - Probably several further versions of different titling in both fonts on the fighting pose. I suspect a number of them will not exist with the portrait, need to see more examples of the portrait.

73 Peter Jackson - Same as above, particularly need copies of the foot angled pose - the only scan available online of one is poor resolution. There are likely variations here, but probably not so many as the other pose.

347 Corbett- Probably missing rare advertising backs

966 Fitzsimmons - Font 1 version of the Newsboy Fitzsimmons

1068 Sullivan - Theoretically a font 1 and a Campbell exist.

Work in Progress "Master Set" Checklist:
23 J.J. Corbett (Portrait, font 1)
23 J.J. Corbett (Portrait, font 2)
72 J.J. Corbett (Fighting pose, font 2, name on photo, no number)
72 J.J. Corbett (Fighting, font 2, no name/number on photo, both name/number on card)
72 J.J. Corbett (Fighting pose, font 2, number on photo, number and name on card)
72 J.J. Corbett (Fighting pose, font 1, no number, name on photo)
72 J.J. Corbett (Fighting pose, Campbell)
72 J.J. Corbett (Portrait, font 2, number on photo, name/number on mount)
73 Peter Jackson (Foot straight, font 2, no number, name on mount)
73 Peter Jackson (Foot straight, font 1, number in photo, name on mount
73 Peter Jackson (Foot straight, font 1, number in photo and on mount, name on mount)
73 Peter Jackson (Foot straight, font 1, no number/name in photo, name on mount)
73 Peter Jackson (Foot straight, font 2, nothing in photo, number and name both on mount)
73 Peter Jackson (Foot angled, details not clear from scan)
347 James J. Corbett (No advertising on back)
966 Bob Fitzsimmons (Newsboy, font 2)
966 Bob Fitzsimmons (Campbell)
1068 John L. Sullivan (Newsboy, font 2)
Old 01-12-2024, 12:24 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

A better Jackson image was found and contributed today outside of this thread by a collector who would like to be anonymous. Foot angled, Font 1, name in photo, no name or number on mount.

This is the first readable quality image found of this pose here. This is the exact same copy I found online in an SGC 40 holder with a blurry scan (how? It's practically missing a corner...), so we've still only seen 1 copy of this pose. Now that it's in better quality, note the position of his left arm and hand, as well as his foot. Same photoshoot, similar pose, but a completely different picture.

This is also the only Jackson we have yet that has his name in the photo.

Is the white beneath his name stray ink or a number? Could it read "61"?

It will be interesting to see if another copy surfaces in a different variation. I suspect there are not many layouts for this pose.

Updated Work in Progress "Master Set" Checklist:
72 J.J. Corbett (Fighting, font 2, no name/number on photo, both name/number on card)
72 J.J. Corbett (Fighting pose, font 2, number on photo, number and name on card)
73 Peter Jackson (Foot straight, font 1, number in photo and on mount, name on mount)
73 Peter Jackson (Foot straight, font 1, no number/name in photo, name on mount)
73 Peter Jackson (Foot straight, font 2, nothing in photo, number and name both on mount)
73 Peter Jackson (Foot angled, font 1, name in photo, no name or number on mount)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jackson angled foot for Greg.jpg (49.8 KB, 88 views)
Old 01-12-2024, 04:34 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

And another update today, from collector Ed Str.auss. Thanks for helping and showing cards from your collection for a number of projects, Ed.

This is the thicker font 1, with no name or number anywhere at all. I think this is the more interesting variety of the first series Newsboys, when there is just no identification at all. Technically possible that the name and/or number are actually printed on the mount and covered by the slightly larger than normal photograph (note again, that the pictures glued onto the mounts are all slightly different sizes and cuts and not consistent, as is normal for a lot of CDV's and Cabinets), but I suspect not. Using larger samples of the actress cards that I can examine closely in hand, the photo will sometimes intrude into the name/number printed on mount, but not fully cover over it, the result of imprecise 'handfitting' of the cabinets.

This brings our list up to 19 confirmed cards.

Updated Work in Progress "Master Set" Checklist:
72 J.J. Corbett (Fighting pose, font 1, no name or number on either)
73 Peter Jackson (Foot angled, font 1, name in photo, no name or number on mount)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1638.jpg (188.0 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by G1911; 01-12-2024 at 04:34 PM.