NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-25-2018, 10:48 PM

I hope the thief gets nabbed.

Last edited by CW; 08-26-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Who else was at the ice cream stand with Greg and Earl?

Did Greg file a police report?

Who is C Vader and what was the motive for his/her post?

Why does Lisa Prodeline have a grudge against Earl to the point where she would lie about his employment and accuse him of stealing a card?

Why is Greg being so evasive?

Was this card, in fact, stolen?
A message I just sent to Lisa. I was wanting to chat first but she sent back her info as requested. My main concern with board registrations is people are who they say they are.

Actually, I do have your info (new phone number you just sent and verified) and because you have been a member a long time there is no need to talk on the phone. My only concern is people are who they say they are. The fact you made a statement that could land you in court, and in big trouble if not true, doesn’t affect me. I hope you have proof he stole the Mantle card. I think he has a very good lawyer. If I were him I might just sue you for what you said. Anyway, you are reinstated now.

LL

Last edited by Leon; 08-26-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:48 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

When you accuse someone of a crime, you had better be able to prove it. There is no internet exception to per se libel. If I were Earl, I would be looking for an address for service of process.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:54 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrain View Post
When you accuse someone of a crime, you had better be able to prove it. There is no internet exception to per se libel. If I were Earl, I would be looking for an address for service of process.
man i hear all of this libel stuff and threats of lawsuits on net54 for years....nothing ever happens, but everyone makes it sound so easy and make sense logistically to just to sue on this...clearly isnt..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-26-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:03 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Maybe we should have our profession listed...along with our full names

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-26-2018, 09:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
man i hear all of this libel stuff and threats of lawsuits on net54 for years....nothing ever happens, but everyone makes it sound so easy and make sense logistically to just to sue on this...clearly isnt..
Obviously someone who didn't hear the FBI (Thanks again SA Brusokas) speak at the Net54baseball Dinner during the National in 2017. Don't think for a second that no court actions/statements have ever involved our forum members. I assure you this is a public forum and what you say, you can be held accountable for.
Ask Doug Allen when he gets out.
ps...I do agree with your statement about it not being a piece of cake to sue someone. Mostly it just takes money and time though. For the record I have never sued anyone or been sued.

Last edited by Leon; 08-26-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:23 AM
L.arry Glads.tone

Default ???mantle stolen

Again, I rarely post....this forum history stays on the internet and there is a historical record of what everyone writes that LASTS THRU THE AGES unless Leon deletes it which I don't think he will do!....someone that has a $10K card stolen and identifies a culprit by name, not only should file a police report but also needs to file an insurance claim through their homeowners or business insurance.

To accuse someone by name of a felony crime like this is not only bold but is permanently a scar on that person's reputation especially when they are innocent until proven guilty. Without any real proof, this is a libelous action. Earl has a pretty damn good reputation and its up to him to make sure his name is not dragged through the mud but as an longtime hobbyist, I really feel disgusted that someone can say something so bold without real testimony proof or any legal justification. If legal justification is warranted, its time to step into the batters box, this is not just about cards, its about integrity.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:32 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Obviously someone who didn't hear the FBI (Thanks again SA Brusokas) speak at the Net54baseball Dinner during the National in 2017. Don't think for a second that no court actions/statements have ever involved our forum members. I assure you this is a public forum and what you say, you can be held accountable for.
Ask Doug Allen when he gets out.
ps...I do agree with your statement about it not being a piece of cake to sue someone. Mostly it just takes money and time though. For the record I have never sued anyone or been sued.
Maybe involve forum members on a secondary issue related to something off the forum ..but nothing came from something started from the forum in which everyone on the forum then says there should be a lawsuit now based on what was said on the forum and many threats made (correct me if i am wrong as i was not a the dinner, but i have not read anything on the threads) Just saying needing time and money to me is like saying all i need is height and talent to play in the NBA..both are very very hard to come by..

I understand everything that is said here stays here and its a public forum... so of course beware what you say as it will stay here forever most likley ..except asking prices

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-26-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:41 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by painthistorian View Post
..someone that has a $10K card stolen and identifies a culprit by name, not only should file a police report but also needs to file an insurance claim through their homeowners or business insurance.

never understood why everyone feels their homeowners insurance covers all of these random things....insurance companies dont make money paying claims...if there is gray area, if you arent sure they will pay, then the answer is 99% they wont. I see it time to time people on the forum referencing homeowners insurance paying for a lost card/ card stolen etc..... I havent' heard one story ever where someone got their homeowner insurance to pay on something happening to their card outside the home.....plus even if the issue happened inside your house, there would be issues of proving value, deductible, limits you can claim and again, whether it would be even covered......people just throw it out too often, 'have your homeowners coverage pay' when you lose an item outside the home..or get injured on a someones bicycle or fun type ride outside the home, or drycleaner ruins your clothes etc......

For the 100s of times i hear someone say 'put in a claim with your homeowners' im guessing zero times there is ever a recovery (ive never heard anyone say they got one), yet we will keep hearing people say call your homeowners insurance...its almost up there with suing for libel on this forum...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-26-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:09 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Maybe we should have our profession listed...along with our full names
Not a bad idea. 36 years experience as a trial lawyer. I don't handle civil litigation any more but did defend VCBC magazine in a libel suit some years ago in Federal District court here in New Jersey. Lawsuits are expensive but when someone threatens your livelihood by accusing you of a crime, it may be worth the cost. This is not a hobby to Earl. It is his vocation.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:10 PM
L.arry Glads.tone

Default ????mantle

In response-I recovered years ago from a lost item that was well documented.....often times it is correct that is tough to recover from insurance, HOWEVER you need to file a claim just to attempt to collect o/w you get NOTHING, as long as you have not filed excessive claims....and if you had an original receipt of buying the card or any expensive item, the PSA cert #, and an original police report and an affadavit from that "2nd party" that this was stolen at a show... there is a good chance a reputable insurance company WILL pay...You have to do your homework and be prudent, persistent & honest.

Last edited by painthistorian; 08-26-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:17 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by painthistorian View Post
In response-often times it is correct that is tough to recover from insurance, HOWEVER you need to file a claim just to attempt to collect o/w you get NOTHING....and if you had an original receipt of buying the card or the PSA cert #, and an original reported police report and an affadavit from that "2nd party" that this was stolen at a show... there is a good chance a reputable insurance company WILL pay..You have to do your homework and be prudent, persistant & honest.
agree with you that you do have to put in a claiim to have a chance and to avoid being denied for not having timely notice but again not sure what you mean by 'reputable insurance company' if its homeowners insurance..here we go again... insurance policies have changed over time but would need to know more info than 'recovered for lost item'.

i do know they sell collectible insurance......usually when there is that type of coverage that would mean that more common types of insurance, ie. homeowners, do not. Another example, rental insurance.

Also beware that just filing a claim, even if its turned down, still goes on your claims history for all insurance potentially. Maybe that impacts future premiums, maybe not. If no claim no risk though...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-26-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:43 PM
L.arry Glads.tone

Default ????Mantle

There are certain insurance companies especially here in NY, that are less than stellar, most larger national companies will pay on a claim if very well documented and as long as your policy does not state explicit limitations...there are some "localized regional companies" that are not as easy to collect from regarding personal merchandise.

Either way, a police report is MANDATORY
Old 08-26-2018, 06:25 PM
Brendan Mullen

The lure of a triple scoop waffle cone can be quite distracting

Probably the best line I ever read on Net54!!
Old 08-26-2018, 06:35 PM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
The lure of a triple scoop waffle cone can be quite distracting

Probably the best line I ever read on Net54!!
I laughed when I read this too because those ice cream cones were damn good! I got one day 2 and meant to get another one day 4 but didn't get around to it.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 09-01-2018, 12:42 PM
Lisa Prod.eline

Update, Net 54 has all of my current info and I have no grudge against anyone. I simply stated my opinion based on personal experiences. Sincerely, Lisa Prodeline
Old 09-01-2018, 01:12 PM
Richard L.

Oh boy, here we go round 2.....
Old 09-01-2018, 02:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lprodeline View Post
Update, Net 54 has all of my current info and I have no grudge against anyone. I simply stated my opinion based on personal experiences. Sincerely, Lisa Prodeline
Either you have some knowledge about the facts of the case, which you have not shared, or you don't in which case your "opinion" is completely meaningless speculation. IMO, of course. And if you aren't even going to state the basis for your "opinion" that's completely unfair to Earl and irresponsible. IMO, again.

C Vader never really stated her (assumption) reason for accusing Earl either. She allegedly saw him with Greg and another person in the group passing around the card, but never said why she thought Earl and not the other person took the card.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-01-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Inquiring minds would like to know (publicly)!!

Quote:
Either you have some knowledge about the facts of the case, which you have not shared, or you don't in which case your "opinion" is completely meaningless speculation. IMO, of course. And if you aren't even going to state the basis for your "opinion" that's completely unfair to Earl and irresponsible. IMO, again.

C Vader never really stated her (assumption) reason for accusing Earl either. She allegedly saw him with Greg and another person in the group passing around the card, but never said why she thought Earl and not the other person took the card.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:21 AM
Peter Spaeth

It's disgraceful IMO, in case that didn't come through before lol. In my opinion, if you're going to accuse someone of a crime, just putting your name by it is not enough, you should have to state your basis.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-02-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
It's disgraceful IMO, in case that didn't come through before lol. In my opinion, if you're going to accuse someone of a crime, just putting your name by it is not enough, you should have to state your basis.
BS.
And next do you get to interrogate them and make that mandatory too? I can't imagine that kind of situation. Putting your full name next to it is the way we have always held people accountable. IF those taken to task don't want to say anything that is their prerogative.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
BS.
And next do you get to interrogate them and make that mandatory too? I can't imagine that kind of situation. Putting your full name next to it is the way we have always held people accountable. IF those taken to task don't want to say anything that is their prerogative.
I think that's fine where you're expressing an opinion, attacking someone's character, etc. To me, accusing someone of a specific crime in writing is in a different category.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-02-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:46 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW1 View Post
So you brought your Mantle to the ice cream stand, it was passed around among several people, and you forgot and left without it? Is that correct?
What are the odds that the one card you have on you at the moment...and presumably multiple people have their eyes on...get's stolen?
Old 09-02-2018, 06:48 PM
Rob

Quote:
I could be wrong, but my gut says the problem is not with Earl, it's with the unidentified third guy. Now why two (apparent) women have jumped on this thread to accuse Earl, I haven't figured out.
Oh come on...Two girls mad at Earl? You don't have to be rocket scientist.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:52 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Am aware of that but then most recently he dismisses C. Vader. Seems to be a lack of clarity and a lack of consistency.
So wouldn't that cast doubt on the OP? Where's Oliver Stone to sort this all out for us?
Old 09-02-2018, 06:55 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Sports card/memorabilia collectors are exceptionally paranoid...it's a known fact and proven here many times over.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Oh come on...Two girls mad at Earl? You don't have to be rocket scientist.
It is weird, no question. Women never post here and two (one confirmed) show up on this thread?

Old 09-04-2018, 09:47 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Sports card/memorabilia collectors are exceptionally paranoid...it's a known fact and proven here many times over.
+1
Old 09-04-2018, 11:07 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Here's a crazy idea. . . .

Next time you want to go to a show to sell and have some really valuable stuff in your case . . . bring along your brother in law, or a neighbor, or some other dude from the corner bar who used to be a cop and pay him $50 for the day and offer to buy him lunch. Tell him to politely watch every interaction you have with your rare cards like a hawk. Guy will sit there and smile and just watch everything. And if he doesn't like a situation that's developing will ask for the cards back pronto.

I am guessing that will reduce your likelihood of being ripped off to essentially zero.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 09-04-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:17 PM
ThreadKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

Next time you want to go to a show to sell and have some really valuable stuff in your case . . . bring along your brother in law, or a neighbor, or some other dude from the corner bar who used to a cop and pay him $50 for the day and offer to buy him lunch. Tell him to politely watch every interaction you have with your rare cards like a hawk. Guy will sit there and smile and just watch everything. And if he doesn't like a situation that's developing will ask for the cards back pronto.

I am guessing that will reduce your likelihood of being ripped off to essentially zero.
*mic drop*
Old 09-04-2018, 01:30 PM

Something doesn't add up

The victim corroborated the "female" posters version of events at the time the Mantle was stolen.

The victim then says he reached out to her but got no response and thinks shes a troll.

But he agreed it went down the way only someone who was there could say it went down.

The victim also wrote it "disappeared" and didn't want to call it "thievery"

A different "female" comes forward and accuses one of the people in the group.

A Mantle rookie was passed around a "sticky fingered" ice cream stand and walked away from by the owner?

I think we are getting a fraction of the story. I love who good who dunnit.
I hate to see someone lose any valuable, let alone a Mantle friggin rookie, but we are missing some important pieces to the story.
This isnt the typical stranger steals your valuable when you aren't looking case.
But i hope you get your card back.

Last edited by BigMike79; 09-04-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:39 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVader View Post
Greg,

I saw you at ice cream stand late on last day of show don't think you saw me you were in an intense conversation with your partner and Earl Johnson the gentleman who was let-go by SGC. Is this related? The three of you were obsessing about a card (the mantle?) you were viewing an image of on a phone not sure if this was before or after card vanished?

C. Vader
I always thought the card disappeared, and someone tried to sell with a photo via text. Then they alerted Greg they were approached to buy the stolen card. This is why they were obsessing about the image on the phone. If anyone saw the card, and was able to snatch it, they'd know what it looked like, and didnt need to be reminded by a photo. The photo would be from a third party saying, "hey bud, this guy is trying to sell me your card"

Old 09-04-2018, 02:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Meanwhile NotVader, who came across as a non collector/outsider making jokes about her step uncle collecting dog food cards, posts that she has 85 t206 cards.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...postcount=2128

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-04-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:48 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

Next time you want to go to a show to sell and have some really valuable stuff in your case . . . bring along your brother in law, or a neighbor, or some other dude from the corner bar who used to a cop and pay him $50 for the day and offer to buy him lunch. Tell him to politely watch every interaction you have with your rare cards like a hawk. Guy will sit there and smile and just watch everything. And if he doesn't like a situation that's developing will ask for the cards back pronto.

Nice to see you posting again!!
Old 09-04-2018, 02:49 PM
Chase

Quote:
Meanwhile NotVader, who came across as a non collector/outsider making jokes about her step uncle collecting dog food cards, posts that she has 85 t206 cards.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...postcount=2128
In defense of C. Vader, (s)he was not trying to pose as a non collector but to mock those collectors who collect cards issued by dog food manufacturers. Clearly T206s are where his/her collection is at.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
In defense of C. Vader, (s)he was not trying to pose as a non collector but to mock those collectors who collect cards issued by dog food manufacturers. Clearly T206s are where his/her collection is at.
I suppose, but hard to believe any real collector would mock Red Heart collectors.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I suppose, but hard to believe any real collector would mock Red Heart collectors.
Ditto.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:00 PM
Chase

Quote:
I was being completely facetious. I was very skeptical of his/her first post. (S)he knew of Earl but played off as an outsider in the hobby with the dog food label comment? How many veteran collectors know Earl let alone would id him in a line waiting to get ice cream?

Whomever is playing the role of C. Vader needs to study the script better or the writer needs to be fired for story/character inconsistencies.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I was being completely facetious. I was very skeptical of his/her first post. (S)he knew of Earl but played off as an outsider in the hobby with the dog food label comment? How many veteran collectors know Earl let alone would id him in a line waiting to get ice cream?

Whomever is playing the role of C. Vader needs to study the script better or the writer needs to be fired for story/character inconsistencies.
Ah OK lol.

I thought maybe the step uncle knew him and that explained that part of it, but what's the point of trying to figure this mess out, all the protagonists are behaving strangely including the OP if you ask me.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-04-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:39 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
How many veteran collectors know Earl let alone would id him in a line waiting to get ice cream?
All of them I'd think. He's pretty recognizable

Old 09-04-2018, 04:20 PM
Chase

Quote:
All of them I'd think. He's pretty recognizable
I have 6 years in so that either means I have not attained veteran status or I am the exception to your statement. Have no idea who Earl is, what he looks like, where he worked nor why he no longer works for his prior employer.

So let me ask you if you find it odd that some who would state, 'I cant believe you guys are collecting Dog Food Labels LOL!' would also know of Earl, be able to spot him in line getting ice cream, know he worked for SGC and know he left SGC? I find it very odd but maybe I am just odd.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:38 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
I have 6 years in so that either means I have not attained veteran status or I am the exception to your statement. Have no idea who Earl is, what he looks like, where he worked nor why he no longer works for his prior employer.

6 years, you barely scratched the surface! Just kidding

If you've submitted cards to sgc in the past you'd probably know him. He was the guy who was always there and had some distinguishing features and demeanor

Old 09-04-2018, 06:09 PM
Rob

Quote:
6 years, you barely scratched the surface! Just kidding

If you've submitted cards to sgc in the past you'd probably know him. He was the guy who was always there and had some distinguishing features and demeanor
It's not this guy is it?

image host
Old 09-04-2018, 06:13 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
It's not this guy is it?

image host
Lol, maybe a few years older, and darker hair and mustache

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Old 09-04-2018, 07:20 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

This is obvious: the butler did it.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:34 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
This is obvious: the butler did it.
I was thinking Colonel Mustard.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:11 PM

A young gal recently posted in a FB group I am in how she left her phone in a bathroom, then someone stole it. I really want it back!!! Sounds more like she lost her phone to me. These situation kinda reminded me of each other...
Old 09-07-2018, 01:33 PM
Rob

What's the latest? Was the card found or what?
Old 09-07-2018, 06:16 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

What's the hurry?
Old 09-07-2018, 08:15 PM
Rob

Curious response. I'm guessing if it was your card, you'd be in a hurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
What's the hurry?