NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-20-2003, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Default I just don't understand

Posted By: Lee Behrens

My question is why would anyone pay anywhere close to that amount? I like to think that people that pay that kind of money at least are educated on grading. Is there just blind faith amongst the PSA collectors.

Is this card not trimmed? It certainly isn't a diamond cut. Is there any way a person could find out who submitted the card for grading? My guess is the dealer preferencal treatment was in full form here.

I know SGC has some flawed grades, but it seems like you can find at least one PSA card a week in the vintage section alone that is grossly over graded. I keep trying to find reasons to lean more towards PSA, but the only thing they have going for them is that they seem to sell for a higher price (right now) and nothing else.

Old 02-20-2003, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Care to clue us in on what card you talking about? A link possibly?

Jay- absolutely sure that the DNA test that says Lee is my brother is wrong

Old 02-20-2003, 06:42 PM
Administrator

I was so distrat that I couldn't complete the thread, oww the nightmares. both of the above situation and having Jay for a brother.

Old 02-20-2003, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Ok here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31718&item=2710477601&rd=1

Be nice guess, I know this was a dunderhead type of move

Old 02-20-2003, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff M

I seen the auction .What a joke.

Old 02-20-2003, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Of course it's trimmed.

Majority of PSA collectors won't care. It's in the holder and it seems that that is all that matters to them. Who cares about the card?

Old 02-21-2003, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I also thought this looked trimmed. But to be devils advocate wouldn't a trim show more "white" at the top border and isn't this border just too slanted for a normal trim?....and it's a fairly straight slant too....just some thoughts....

Old 02-21-2003, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

The bottom was trimmed, not the top. Most likely scenario is that the bottom border also slanted to the left and someone just "straightened it out". There probably wasn't enought to work with on the top.

I had an interesting email discussion about "reasons for trimming" the other day. As collectors, most of us assume that all trimming is done to increase value, usually for slabbing. My bro recently auctioned a t206 Flick that was heavily trimmed all the way around - my opinion is that the card probably had heavy corner rounding and fuzziness, so the owner simply "cut" that stuff off to make the card look straighter and give it better eye appeal. Certainly there could not have been any thoughts to have the card graded - maybe the trimming was done long ago before grading even existed and the owner didn't give a rat's *ss about "value" of the card.

Old 02-21-2003, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I guess it's you and I keeping the board going this morning? It is my understanding from some hobby veterans that a lot trimming was done, in the early days, so the cards would fit in certain holders.....just thought I would throw that in....later

Old 02-21-2003, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Verrill

Man, the fact that this card is holdered is BLASPHEMY. And, EVEN if the "oversight by the grader" of the OBVIOUS trim job is overlooked (and written off to "inexperience" - although a HORRIBLE term to EVER have to use to describe, or associate with, a "professional" grader) - the fact that this was determined to be a 5 is DISGRACEFUL. I am physically disgusted by this, Lee. Thanks for posting this. It's a real eye opener.

Old 02-21-2003, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

If I remember correctly, Don McPherson said he had trimmed many of his cards just for that reason, so they would fit in the pages he was using. I have also heard tell that cards were also trimmed that all the cards in a collection were of the same size.

Jay

Old 02-21-2003, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

This one is the best since the trimmed OJ in Lipset's auction (BTW, what did that one sell for?). PSA just plain sucks nowadays. No way would I trust them with anything I really cared about after seeing all the garbage they grade.

Old 02-21-2003, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

<<This one is the best since the trimmed OJ in Lipset's auction (BTW, what did that one sell for?). PSA just plain sucks nowadays. No way would I trust them with anything I really cared about after seeing all the garbage they grade.>>

That PSA purchased that trimmed OJ back and destroyed the card and holder.

Old 02-21-2003, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Why would they destroy the card?

Old 02-21-2003, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff s

I want the remaining shreds! They'll fit into my collection perfectly .

Old 02-21-2003, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

I amend my last statement. My understanding was that they re-purchased the card to remove it from the PSA holder. I have, nor do I purport to have, any knowledge as to what they may or may not have done with the card after the re-purchase.

Old 02-21-2003, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

about a year ago and it looks like the new seller doubled his money from what I recall.

Old 02-22-2003, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: B C Daniels

How do you guys tell it's trmmed just by looking at a SCAN ????

Just kidding...............

: )