NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Default Ok, time for another venomous anti-slabber screed (you are forewarned)

Posted By: warshawlaw

On another string someone is complaining about SGC's strictness. I'd love a little strictness from the other services. This screed is dedicated to the incompetent jackasses at PSA and GAI.

I purchased a GAI 4.5 vg-ex+ N172. I got it and it is trimmed. Anyone looking at the card in person could see that the bottom of the card is missing and is curved the wrong way. I next purchased a PSA 1 N172. It isn't even a card. It is a skinned and rebacked card where the bottom of the photo falls about 1/8" short of the bottom of the different shade of pale mount! If anyone with any degree of skill were to look over the card edges in person, it would be apparent that the damned thing is a sandwich, not a card.

Both sellers are reputable and well known to us folks here (one seller has already stated he will stand behind it and I am sure that the other will too). My rant is not directed at them but is directed at the rocket scientists at PSA and GAI. WTF is wrong with these people? Does the water in Orange County contain idiot potion? Do they even bother looking at the cards?

I will post scans of the offending cards shortly. Right now I am both disappointed and ticked off.

Here are the card bottoms:

Old 01-12-2006, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

Hey not all of the OCers drink the water.

I do know the GAI card in question. I saw it when it hit the BST. It was very obviously trimmed, even evident in the scan. The Count is cut for sure. The seller is a very good guy and has always done right with me. I think these companies need to get there graders to card school soon, or hay just ask some fellow collectors if they are not sure, we would help for free. Thats what SGC does and that's why they are the best. Everyone will make a few mistakes but PSA has made some bad ones when it comes to 19th century lately. I think grading is still needed in our digital world but I just wish they would get some help with the vintage areas. Sorry Adam I feel the your pain man.

Old 01-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Adam,

You sure don't look 'ticked off' in this issue of
Old Cardboard I got in the mail today!
Must've been before this grading fiasco.
Great article, Adam, and the yankee cap is good,too.

best,

barry

Old 01-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

I'm just curious here...

Would anybody be willing to pay $20 - $25 to have an Old Judge (or other issue) graded ACCURATELY by someone that knows what they're doing? If not then we're probably going to be stuck with the grading inconsistencies we see. Even if we went to a new standard of grading we'd still be stuck with all the cards graded previous to a "new" standard set. I suppose you could put some type of time indicator the label, for example a date code.