NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-23-2012, 09:12 PM
Mike Fer.riola

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
I hope you bought it on eBay through PayPal? Or if not, did you buy it with a major credit card?
No, I paid cash. I thought I was doing the right thing by calling PSA before I made the deal. They told me to make sure the serial numbers match. I got no warning about Craigslist, tampering with PSA Cases Be Careful, I would have avoided the deal if given any information.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:16 PM
Joe M.

Beware

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 06-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Tony N.

Default Cash

You're probably going to have a hard time gettng your money back, since you did the deal with cash. Just my opinion.

I wish you the best of luck.

Tony
Old 06-24-2012, 05:48 AM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Mike,

Sorry this happened to you as there are quite a bit of scammers out there, but some of the blame has to reside on your shoulders for not conducting a thorough research. How do you know it's fake? Unless you just rolled out of bed, there are numerous discussions on the internet about fake 1952 Topps Mantles and PSA slabbed cards. I mean, you found this thread buried deep in ARCHIVE. Although not a fan of PSA myself, how are they to know the specifics of every card residing in a holder? I'm assuming since you don't know how to scan a picture, you didn't provide them a copy either so at least they had a visual of what you were getting ready to purchase.

Where did you purchase this card? If from Craigslist or a newspaper, could you please give the location or name of the paper?

Again, sorry this happened as I never like hearing about collectors getting scammed.

Good luck.

r/
Frank
Old 06-24-2012, 06:14 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawarevintage View Post
I'm new at this. Not able to post pictures at this time. I am more interested in why PSA would not give me more information when I called before purchasing this card. They had all the information I needed to know. Mike
If you have a friend with a digital camera you can post pictures.
That would make it a lot easier for people here to help you.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 06-24-2012, 07:23 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

As much as I dislike PSA, I'm not sure why you think any of this is their fault. There are probably many fakes out there with that same serial number.

I'm going to buy a used Chevy Tahoe. Let me call General Motors to see if it was reported stolen.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:05 AM
Frank Wakefield

If the question was, "PSA, is this card # stolen?"; and if their answer was "No", then you have nothing to be upset with about what PSA did. They don't provide any service at all to potential buyers, and they knew not of the card being stolen.

Take some personal responsibility for the situation in which you've gotten yourself. Some lessons... be knowledgeable about what you're buying, buy from a reputable or trustworthy source, have a return policy.

Personally, I'd add be sufficiently knowledgeable about what you're buying that you don't need to rely on third party grading, which can be wrong (or as you've learned tampered with).
Old 06-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Matt Hall

You want to call the authorities, not the sports authorities. I'm asuming,since you paid cash, you probably acquired the card in person. I'd do something, in person, but that's just me.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:58 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Paying that much money in cash for something off Craigslist? And I'm assuming you thought this was a bargain compared to the prices on ebay... You'll need to chalk it up to a very expensive lesson, and I don't think PSA deserves any blame here. I'm surprised Joe Orlando even took your call.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:05 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

https://profiles.google.com/11693119...13984734/about

Something just doesn't add up here. If you really have 25 years in this hobby (and you're a dealer), surely you've heard of the Craigslist scams (or at least cracking slabs and replacing the cards).

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 06-24-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Tony N.

Default ???????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
https://profiles.google.com/11693119...13984734/about

Something just doesn't add up here. If you really have 25 years in this hobby (and you're a dealer), surely you've heard of the Craigslist scams (or at least cracking slabs and replacing the cards).
David,

Nice work. This is going to get interesting.

Tony
Old 06-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawarevintage View Post
I'm new at this. Not able to post pictures at this time.
Use the same method you use when posting your cards on EBAY.

"Introduction...I have lived in Delaware all my life and have always been a Phillies fan. I am fortunate enough to have turned my hobby into a business. And now with over 25 years experience in the sports card industry, I have developed a reputation for being fair and honest with great connections nationally."

Your introduction of being fair and HONEST is currently in question.

Good job David. Curious to see what his response will be (if he ever responds).

r/
Frank

Last edited by Tcards-Please; 06-24-2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: added last line.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Surprised you cannot post a picture since all your ebay listings have pictures. This now sounds really fishy!

Joshua
Old 06-24-2012, 11:46 AM
J@son M1ller

Looks like he just dismantled his website?

www.delawarevintage.com

I'm just getting error messages all over the page. Alien abduction?
Old 06-24-2012, 11:51 AM
David Pierson
Banned

Aloha! "Bookem Danno!"
Old 06-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Looks like he just dismantled his website?

www.delawarevintage.com

I'm just getting error messages all over the page. Alien abduction?
Part of it is still up but there is something Rotten in the State of Denmark Delaware.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:55 AM

The 52 mantle is right on his website banner.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:03 PM
B.ob L.amb

Default Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Part of it is still up but there is something Rotten in the State of Denmark Delaware.
I have to say out of fairness that I have set up at a few of the same shows as Mike and have done some wheeling and dealing with him and have always found him to be a honest and fair trade partner. I believe that he was an honest victim of a craigslist scammer.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:09 PM

We will likely never hear back, but I am very curious to hear if this was a Craigslist sale, and if Craigslist was mentioned at all to PSA. Although I wouldn't lay any blame on PSA, I would HOPE that if anyone called them and mentioned the word "Craigslist" that they (PSA) would tell the potential buyer to run away as quickly as possible. This should be standard procedure.

And perhaps even a little bit ironic, Delware Vintage has a PSA graded '52T Mantle in his banner.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc.jpg (19.4 KB, 240 views)

Last edited by CW; 06-24-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: HAha! Beat me to the punch, jmhockey23! :)
Old 06-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Bob,

I understand if he was scammed by someone from craigslist, but he came on here complaining about PSA and giving the impression he is a relatively new collector. He even made the statement that he is new and doesn't know how to post pictures all the while posting pictures on his ebay page. According to his website, he has been collecting for over 25 years. If that is in fact the case, he would know about fake 1952 Mantles and the scamming practice on Craigslist.

He has accountability for his dumb move and came on here wanting to place the blame elsewhere.

r/
Frank

Last edited by Tcards-Please; 06-24-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:59 PM
B.ob L.amb

Quote:
Originally Posted by T's please View Post
Bob,

I understand if he was scammed by someone from craigslist, but he came on here complaining about PSA and giving the impression he is a relatively new collector. He even made the statement that he is new and doesn't know how to post pictures all the while posting pictures on his ebay page. According to his website, he has been collecting for over 25 years. If that is in fact the case, he would know about fake 1952 Mantles and the scamming practice on Craigslist.

He has accountability for his dumb move and came on here wanting to place the blame elsewhere.

r/
Frank
I agree and he should have known better and in the few conversations we have had at shows over the years He seemed to be quite knowledgeable. I know that he deals more into memorabilia than cards and if I remember the cards he had were mostly raw. Perhaps he doesnt have a working knowledge of graded cards and went outside his area of expertise when purchasing the Mantle(I think we all have done this at one time or another trying to make a score).I do recall a trade that I made with him where I traded him some pennants and pins for some T206's, Playballs and Batter Ups and feel that I got the better of it. I recall sending these to SGC and was pleased with the grades. Why he is blaming PSA, I cannot understand.

Bob
Old 06-24-2012, 01:40 PM

Feels a lot better psychologically when one believes someone outside of themselves is to blame for the loss of potentially thousands of dollars....sucks that this can happen though..