NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Default Restored cards-my large Gypsy Queen

Posted By: David Smith

Hello all,

This is my large Gypsy Queen card of Tim Keefe. The card has obviously been cut down and is currently 2 7/8 inches tall and 1 3/4 inches wide.

I traded for this card about 10 years ago. The person I got this from is/was an old time collector and he had 4 or 5 other large size Gypsy Queens. All of these cards were also trimmed.

At that time, National catalog auctions for sports cards were just starting and a large company said they could have his Gypsy Queens restored if he ever wanted to consign and sell them. He politely declined their offer.

He told me (and I agree) that the cards are in this present condition and nothing good can come from having them restored. Sure, the monetary value would probably increase but the historical value would be lost.

Would I like to have a complete large size Gypsy Queen of Tim Keefe? You bet. Will I ever? Who knows. What I do know is that I am proud to own this card and in its present condition and also proud to know who previously owned this card.

Davidhttp://www.network54.com/Realm/tmp/1167888779.JPG

Old 01-05-2007, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I'd rather own a card like yours than a franken-card.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Is the quarter about to get "morphed" in with your card to make it a card of "SILVER KING" that shows up in some future auction??

Old 01-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

David- with the thread about the restored Four Base Hit still going strong, I would leave the card exactly the way it is. I remember years ago when that group of N175 was circulating; there is more than one out there trimmed that way. Unfortunately, it is what it is, so enjoy it as such.

edited to say I should have read your post more closely, since you already said everything I did.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Administrator

To clear up any confusion, the intent of my post was to say that I have a rare card that could be restored. In fact, the person I traded with to get the card has/had 6 different N175's in the same condition. He was told by a major auction house that if he ever wanted to consign the cards, they could have them restored.

This long time collector refused to do so and as long as I own the card, it will NEVER be restored.

David

Old 01-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

To clear up any confusion:

My comments about the quarter were a joke.

I still think you could find a restorer to melt the quarter down and then your card a "silver lining"!!

Old 01-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Administrator

No silver in that quarter Hal.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

Barry--There didn't used to be but some clever metal conservator combined that quarter with the metal from an old silver spoon and now it is a priceless 1996 part-silver quarter. I'm sure that soon it will appear in a major auction.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Egad- a Frankenstein quarter!

Old 01-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Hal,

I knew you were joking. I didn't respond because I couldn't think of anything pithy.

(How do you like that, pithy?)

And no, that was not my imitation of Sylvester the Cat trying to say pissy.

David

Old 01-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

Woops

Old 01-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Beautiful.

Thank you for posting.