NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-05-2016, 01:53 PM

Default New member intro, and a request for advice

Greetings all,

Thought this might be the best place to solicit some expert opinions.

I'm (obviously) a noob here, but not to message boards in general, so I know that places like this are the best sources of info and (mostly) friendly advice. so here goes:

Outside of my early teens, I'm not a collector. However, my wife's late cousin most certainly was. When he passed away unexpectedly three years ago, among the possessions he left to my wife and I was an extensive baseball card collection. Based on recent perusal of some dealer sites (mostly Dean's), I'm aware of the potential value of this collection, and would be interested in selling it.

I've emailed someone at Dean's, who suggested I send them part of the collection for evaluation (none of the cards have been professionally graded). I'm hesitant to do so, for obvious reasons. I'd prefer to sell the entire collection at once, as opposed to piecemeal, even though I could probably get more for some of the more valuable individual cards. Unfortunately I don't have the time or resources to dedicate to such a project. Also, a portion of the collection was damaged when the climate controlled mini warehouse we were storing them in flooded (I dried the individual cards out, but they warped, and in the process I had to take them out of their meticulously organized folders - yeah, I'm still sick about all that )

Any way, tl;dr version - I'm looking to sell a large and very valuable vintage collection, and am asking y'all for help - any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
Old 09-05-2016, 02:02 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

You may want to take a few pics and post them...I'm sure you will get some 'qualified' responses.

Good Luck

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-05-2016, 02:04 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here, but first things first. Why don't you provide some essential information to get things started. Give us a breakdown of the collection. What years is it comprised of? What types of stars does it include, etc., etc? And very, very importantly, post a bunch of photos or scans to let us know what you have.

Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:10 PM

Default welcome!!

congradulations btw on the collection.....

as Darren said, take pics....

post them here.....heck, you might sell the whole damn thing here! lol...

if not, ebay them, or send them to an auction house....we will give you the best advice....

btw....look for a t206 wagner, a 52 mantle, some Baltimore news ruth's, a few joe jax ect... it will be like hitting a mini lottery evertime
Old 09-05-2016, 02:46 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

There are multiple companies who read/post on this board like JustCollect and InvestinBaseball. Call them up. If the value of the group is over $10K, they may come to you directly.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:03 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Didn't even notice you were in Pensacola; if you need help appraising it and determining what to send in for grading or to sell directly, send me a PM.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankbrent View Post
Greetings all,

Thought this might be the best place to solicit some expert opinions.

I'm (obviously) a noob here, but not to message boards in general, so I know that places like this are the best sources of info and (mostly) friendly advice. so here goes:

Outside of my early teens, I'm not a collector. However, my wife's late cousin most certainly was. When he passed away unexpectedly three years ago, among the possessions he left to my wife and I was an extensive baseball card collection. Based on recent perusal of some dealer sites (mostly Dean's), I'm aware of the potential value of this collection, and would be interested in selling it.

I've emailed someone at Dean's, who suggested I send them part of the collection for evaluation (none of the cards have been professionally graded). I'm hesitant to do so, for obvious reasons. I'd prefer to sell the entire collection at once, as opposed to piecemeal, even though I could probably get more for some of the more valuable individual cards. Unfortunately I don't have the time or resources to dedicate to such a project. Also, a portion of the collection was damaged when the climate controlled mini warehouse we were storing them in flooded (I dried the individual cards out, but they warped, and in the process I had to take them out of their meticulously organized folders - yeah, I'm still sick about all that )

Any way, tl;dr version - I'm looking to sell a large and very valuable vintage collection, and am asking y'all for help - any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
2 thing to the OP. Dean's Cards are highly overpriced and you will get a very small % of their prices for your cards. The other is take John up on his amazing offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Didn't even notice you were in Pensacola; if you need help appraising it and determining what to send in for grading or to sell directly, send me a PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:54 PM
Bry@n

You know, Ben, they don't let just anyone live in Niceville.

I agree that you should avoid Dean's, post a little bit about what you have, and see if any one of the many respected dealers or collectors on this site would be interested - you will get good advice here and might get a a few good offers too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
The other is take John up on his amazing offer.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:17 PM
Mike Lenart

I agree with the other posts. You will get honest advice and guidance from the members here.

Be careful about using certain sellers for sale prices as a guide to the worth of your cards. The only price that matters is the price paid. For example, on Dean's Cards, if you look on Ebay at the completed listings, there are 201,187 items. If you look at the items sold, it is only 1,732. Now I realize that the completed listings have some items listed multiple times over the period, but still, they are selling a very, very small percentage of their listed items. In other words, no one is buying at their for sale prices.

Mike
Old 09-05-2016, 07:13 PM
Charles
Cha.rles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankbrent View Post

Also, a portion of the collection was damaged when the climate controlled mini warehouse we were storing them in flooded

Sorry to hear about your loss due to flood damage.

But you may be able to recoup some of your losses if the self-storage unit was insured. Did your wife's cousin ever have his collection appraised? If he did (and the cards were insured), you should then have the cards professionally appraised again and file a claim for the loss (what they were worth minus what they're now worth).

Just an idea.

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore

Last edited by The-Cardfather; 09-05-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:15 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Scan some cards and post them
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
Scan some cards and post them
+1 ...Would love to see some of them!!
Old 09-06-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cardfather View Post
But you may be able to recoup some of your losses if the self-storage unit was insured. Did your wife's cousin ever have his collection appraised? If he did (and the cards were insured), you should then have the cards professionally appraised again and file a claim for the loss (what they were worth minus what they're now worth).
Sadly, he hadn't had them appraised. As for insurance, while our homeowner's policy would have covered any damage at our miniwarehouse due to fire, theft, hurricanes, etc, the one type of loss it specifically WOULDN'T cover was flood or water-related damage. Which at the time didn't seem like even a remote possibility, as the nearest water to the storage place was a retention pond some 150 yards away...but then how often do you get 26 inches of rain in 8 hours...
Old 09-06-2016, 08:26 AM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Without knowing what type of cards they are, some types of cards are soaked in water regularly to remove things like excess paper glued to the back. Then they are dried by placing them between something like paper towels and and placed between large, flat, heavy items so they dry flat. Check some of the threads about soaking cards, maybe you can get them flat again, depending on type. Not advocating doing this, as a lot of people frown on the practice, but usually if you are willing to sell them as soaked, others may not care. Again, check the type for being okay to soak, and ask people on how to do it, so you get it right.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 09-06-2016, 08:26 AM
Jeff R

Default Let's see...

Frank,

We are all intrigued by your story, but no one can help you assess your cards if we can't see them. Not only can some very knowledgeable members here tell you pretty much what you have, but the rest of us love vintage cards and are biting at the bit to see any "new" find. With that said, SHOW US SOME CARDS! Please...
Successful Net54 transactions with: t206fix x2, Shammus, mybuddyinc x3, FrankWakefield, Brian Van Horn, Jrsox, Vintagetoppsguy, powderfinger, Bocabirdman x2, Baseball*Collectibles, bcbgcbrcb, Vintageismygame, usernamealreadytaken, oldjudge x2, Joshchisox08, rocarroll, Voodoochild, Sebie43 and frankbmd and more...
Old 09-06-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_cvc View Post
Frank,

We are all intrigued by your story, but no one can help you assess your cards if we can't see them. Not only can some very knowledgeable members here tell you pretty much what you have, but the rest of us love vintage cards and are biting at the bit to see any "new" find. With that said, SHOW US SOME CARDS! Please...
Well, since ya said "please"...

These are sample pages from complete sets, save for the Play Balls - still have to go through those to see what's there and what's not.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:07 AM
pete ullman

how far back do the sets go? most cards look mid grade. it's the big name rookies in top grade that will command the really big bucks!!!! 52 topps mantle? 54 topps aaron? 55 topps clemente?
Old 09-06-2016, 10:11 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
how far back do the sets go? most cards look mid grade. it's the big name rookies in top grade that will command the really big bucks!!!! 52 topps mantle? 54 topps aaron? 55 topps clemente?
man you are asking a lot for big name rookies and Top grade.......... the man got all these cards for free.....i would be happy with the haul he appeared to get.... what he has looks great to me and for him.. even if he doesnt have a mint rookie mantle or rookie aaron in TOP grade

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 09-06-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:15 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
manyou are asking a lot for big name rookies and Top grade.......... the man got all these cards for free.....i would be happy with the haul he appeared to get.... what he has looks great to me and for him.. even if he doesnt have a mint rookie mantle or rookie aaron in TOP grade
obviously you misinterpreted my response as I'm just trying to help assess value. I'd be head over heels had I come upon such a collection too. Stop being such a douchbag!
Old 09-06-2016, 10:29 AM

Did you file a claim with the storage company ? They must have insurance that may get you some money back
Old 09-06-2016, 10:40 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
obviously you misinterpreted my response as I'm just trying to help assess value. I'd be head over heels had I come upon such a collection too. Stop being such a douchbag!
Im going to assume he doesnt have a rookie 1952 Topps Mantle in top condition as he was able to find the net54 website and has at least some knowledge to search the net. I think we all are here trying to help assess his value on the cards he actually has.

No need to name call. Now if he does have that Mantle in top condition, then i stand corrected. Im going to take a wild guess and assume he has none of the 3 cards you listed let alone in 'top' condition.

Probably better to see if he has a rookie brooks robinson or a later 50s /60s HOF rookie..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 09-06-2016 at 10:50 AM.