NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Greg Mitchell

Default Watchers vs. Lurkers

This is probably old hat here, but I wonder how to judge interest in any particular auction at eBay. I recently had a card up with 11 watchers that earned exactly one bid, at the one second to go mark, but at about half what I hoped to sell it for. My worst single sale in somewhat limited eBay history. And this was NOT a sexy card that people would want to watch to just see how it made out. So 10 people watched, for no reason I can fathom, and did not bid even at low price. How so?
Old 06-22-2012, 04:44 PM
Matt Hall

If it's common, some of those watchers could have the same card and are just watching to see what theirs might sell for. I do that to cards I'm considering selling.

Also keep in mind, if the card is common, some watchers may have already picked one up or found a better one to watch.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:53 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I agree w/ the previous post. Most watchers probably already have that card, and want to see the market price that it's going for. Also, if you did not start your auction at 0.99, but at a higher price, some of the watchers may be seeing that if your auction ends with no bids, to then ask you if you'd be willing to accept a lower price on your card.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Luke Lyon

I know I sometimes just get busy and don't follow through on auctions I'm watching.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Frank Wakefield

Some watchers have one that they're considering selling, they're watching to see how yours does... Some watchers intended to bid, but got distracted. The bidder could have been a watcher, still, 11 watchers and 1 bid seems unfortunate for you.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Charlie

I will follow items I have to see at what $ they close. Sometimes I will
collect a list to follow that I have interest and my final decision on what to bid on may not include all on the list vs $ to spend.

Charlie
Old 06-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Alan U

I usually "watch" cards that I have snipe bids set to go. It could be that a lot of your watchers had lower snipe bids that never registered because the high bid got in first.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Joaquin

What time did your auction end?

If your auction was set to end during working hours, or in the evening while the Heat/Thunder game was going on, it's possible that watchers either "forgot" or were unable to bid (happens to me all the time).
Old 06-22-2012, 07:47 PM

I usually just watch items to make people think there is interest in their card. Usually get some friends to do it too so it really confuses the seller when he only gets one bid
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 06-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I usually just watch items to make people think there is interest in their card. Usually get some friends to do it too so it really confuses the seller when he only gets one bid
HA! My theory DOES have merit!!!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Steve Birmingham

Ok, I'm probably one of the people that confuses sellers.

I typically have close to 200 items in watching, sometimes more, the overage gets minimal bids especially if it's a .99 start. but I don't bid on many of them.
Sometimes it starts low and I watch it to see if it stays low and I'm too lazy to drop it when it goes beyond the price I'd pay.
Some are BINs that I may overpay for someday, but not just now.
Others are cards I want to save the pics of- There may be some special oddity that makes it interesting but not "I have to have it" interesting.

And sometimes I have stuff in watching totally intend to bid, but something more interesting comes up that ends a few days later.

I hate having to choose like that, but it's just the reality of the collecting budget.

Steve B
(If the watching really bugs someone and they want to let me clear the watch list on their tab ......... Didn't think so, but no harm in putting it out there.)
Old 06-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I watch a ton of stuff I have no intention of bidding for just to see where the items end. If I want something I drop a placeholder bid at the minimum [so the seller knows there's interest] and put it on my snipe list.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-23-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:28 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Some sellers are confused by watchers. There's a card that I've been watching for over a year now, with a $50 BIN. I have ZERO interest in paying that much, especially given it's condition, the card is maybe worth $10-15 at best. Back in Feb, I sent the seller a message asking if he'd be willing to sell it for $25(I was being generous). And the guy replied that he's got alot of watchers and he was confident that he'd get the $50. Needless to say it's still there.

In this case the seller is clearly confused, and I'll assume that most watchers are watching for the same reason that I am. Not because they're interested in the item for the price, but because they're waiting for the guy to put it on sale for a significant price drop..

In some cases where an auction is being watched, but barely any bid, could be that they're waiting for the item to not sell, and be re-listed at a lower price..

Last edited by novakjr; 06-23-2012 at 01:29 PM.