NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default Baseball fan going to the Big Apple later this summer...

Hello Everyone,

I'm going to New York City later this summer and my wife wants to take me to see Bergino Baseball Club House on East 11th Street. She read an article that it is one of top 10 places every baseball fan must visit in their lifetime. Has anyone been there? Is it worth seeing?

Any other suggestions for an old baseball card collector from the Midwest who will be visiting the Big City? Any vintage card shops? Can't miss restaurants? I'm staying in Time Square and using the the subway to get around.

Of course, I will be stopping by the shrine in the Bronx to pay my respects at the monuments, and tour the Yankees museum.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Joe
Old 06-22-2012, 07:06 AM
Paul

At least the following...

- See the Jefferson Burdick collection at the Museum of Modern Art

- See a game at Yankee Stadium, Citifield and Keyspan Park (at Coney Island)

- Eat pizza at John's on West 44th Street (off Times Square):

http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/index2.htm

- Eat chicken wings at Great Jones Cafe:

http://greatjones.com/

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 06-22-2012, 08:05 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Get two pies at the oldest and I say best pizzeria in SoHo Lombardi's. Visit the FDNY museum -both on Spring St. Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge for drinks from the best view of the skyline. Wear quality sneakers.

Love that town, but if you want the ultimate baseball experience, save it for your Beantown trip. *duck*

Last edited by Ladder7; 06-22-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default New York

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions and I forgot about the Burdick Collection. I will put the Museum of Modern Art on the schedule.

Unfortunately a trip to see the Green Monster will have to wait for another day .

Any can't miss card shops in New York?

Joe
Old 06-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northviewcats View Post
Any can't miss card shops in New York?
None that I'm aware of. The "East Coast National" is August 16-19 in White Plains, which is a short train ride from Grand Central:

http://www.nyshows.org/White_Plains_...ture_Show.html

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 06-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Christopher Herman

The Jefferson Burdick Collection is at the Metropolitan Museum of Art --- not the Museum of Modern Art --- and on "rotating exhibition" only which means that only about 5 - 10% of the collection is on display at any given time.
You will have just missed this exhibit. I do not know what has replaced it currently but you certainly cannot go wrong with a trip to the Met.
--Chris.

My needs lists:
W514 strip cards
W515-2 strip cards

Last edited by christopher.herman; 06-22-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Steve

If you're going to be downtown at all (to see the Statue of Liberty, etc) and want to catch another game, try the Staten Island Yankees --

http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t586

They are short season class A, so the quality of play is nowhere close to what you'll be seeing up in the Bronx, but it's cheap, great fun, and the stadium has a view of Manhattan at night -- the city is visible behind the outfield bleachers like they have it in Pittsburgh...it's just that you're viewing it from Staten Island.

Best part is, you get to check off taking the Staten Island Ferry which gives nice views of the Statue of Liberty if you're not actually going to visit the statue.
http://www.siferry.com/SIFerry_Schedules.aspx

To get there, take the 1 train down from Times Square to the South Ferry stop. You'll get off the train and the ferry is in the next building. This is also where you'd go to see the statue anyways.

I also agree with Steve F -- if you want pizza, get it at Lombardi's. Good stuff. It's thin pizza, but very good.
http://www.firstpizza.com/

In general, I would stay away from eating around the Times Square area -- you're going to be missing out on some great food elsewhere in the city. If you want some suggestions, PM me with the type of food you like, and I can give you some suggestions.

Enjoy your trip!
Steve
Old 06-23-2012, 12:03 AM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
- See a game at Yankee Stadium, Citifield and Keyspan Park (at Coney Island)
Keyspan Park is now called MCU Park. It's the home of the Brooklyn Cyclones, a minor league team in the Short-Season A classification New York - Penn League, affiliated with the New York Mets.