NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-12-2011, 04:06 PM

Default So crack the slab or not?

I am collecting Diamond Stars and so far all my cards are Vg and lesser. I like displaying everyone of the 108 cards in the same manner: Book and 9 pocket pages. I am now having trouble finding some cards, unless they are slabbed. I am wrestling with buying a slabbed card,then cracking it open and putting it into the pocket. Thoughts? I guess if I pick up a pain in the behind common, at $12, that someone else paid to slab, then I break it out-just a common. But what do I do with a Jimmie Foxx that I get at a GREAT price, slabbed, but I want to disply them in the sheets. Do I crack Jimmie? And if not, how do I display him with the rest of the set?
Old 11-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Steven

Crack it open, join the darkside...one of the best feelings you'll get regardless of the player so SET THEM FREE i say........
Old 11-12-2011, 04:34 PM
T0NY @

Crack em, you''l be glad you did. Enjoy your cards!!
Old 11-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Fred

Steven,

If you crack the slab you are "leaving" the dark side....
Old 11-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Doug Goodman

Crack it.

LEAVE the dark side, come to the light...
Old 11-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Steven,

If you crack the slab you are "leaving" the dark side....
Fred: You're right, use the forse and come to the light.......
Old 11-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

You know I just started the T206 Monster and was wondering the same thing. I only have 5 cards total, 2 graded and 3 raw. I think I want to display them in pages but it's also kind of neat to see a nicely graded colorful card in a SGC holder too
Old 11-12-2011, 04:44 PM
R Dixon

I would crack it out too. I crack lots of cards. You may want to keep the flip as a reference though.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:11 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Default Yes, I Admit It...

I am, (sob, sob) a "Crack addict! I buy-em and bustem out all the time. Aloha, Dave.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Bust 'em and set 'em free!!

You wouldn't hesitate to add the Foxx to a page if you found a nice example raw so why debate. It's not like the seller i making you pay for the slabbing fee that they did so let them go.

Cards are like children. You protect them for a while but the greatest joy is see them free when you can enjoy them the way they were created. (ok, maybe a bit to philosophical. My wife and I just found out we are expecting again so I'm relating everything in life to parenting)

Drew
Old 11-13-2011, 01:45 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Don't hate me...

I will say that I have both slabbed and raw cards in my collection...but the older or more valuable the card, the more likely you will find it in a slab in my collection. The reason is pretty straight-forward...protection. I look at my cards ALL the time and I like to share them with friends and family, too! It is a lot less stressful to share my T205 Mathewson with a kid or elderly person who doesn't necessarilty understand what they are holding or what it is worth. My three daughters look at my cards all the time and I love knowing that the chance of them doing any real damage to the card is minimal...because they can hold the card (in the slab) and look at the picture and read the back, I think they are more interested in what I do with the hobby. If the cards were in pages or flimsy holders, I would be A LOT less likely to let everyone see/touch them. I also like the uniformity that having things in slabs offers...not to mention that having them slabbed makes it much easier to catalog for inventory, set progress, insurance reasons. Hate to say it, but I like my cards in slabs...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:48 PM
Steven

Congratulations Drew!!!!

Good news on the board as another member just got engaged and received a cobb t206 for an engagement gift!
Old 11-13-2011, 03:18 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Matt,

I agree that the slabs are great for protection. I like being able to go through a stack of slabbed cards and not having to be extremely delicate with them, especially if others may be handling them. I buy raw and slabbed, but I've never cracked a slab open. I may though if I had a lot of raw cards and wanted to display a slabbed card with them to keep everything the same.

I would say that the penny sleaves for graded cards are a must. I hate when I buy a slabbed card and the case is blurry with lots of scratches and scuffing. If it's real bad sometimes you may have to crack it open or resubmit to get reholdered just to see and enjoy the card.

It depends on the set, but I love the way many look in the SGC holders with the black around them. It's like framing a canvas painting. Some look nice with a frame and others look great raw. It's really just about personal preference and changes with each issue I think.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:40 AM
Doug Doremus

Default To crack or not?

I have the same problem as I'm collecting the Monster.
I like displaying my cards in the 15-pocket page and being able to easily flip through my collection. Moreover, I'm a romantic; I love being able to touch the cards. So I prefer ungraded cards. But sometimes it's unavoidable getting graded cards.

Recently, I've started cracking open my 1's and Authentics as I don't think there's much difference in value in or out of the slab. It is a liberating feeling. However, I haven't cracked the Fairs and above. I think they are worth/cost more in the slab, especially very expensive cards.

What I do is photo-copy those graded cards, then cut out the photo-copies with a utility knife and put them in my pocket-pages [I've used photo-paper in the past, but I may try cardboard]. This works fairly well though it is time-consuming and a pain in the ass.

One other thing I do: Cut the side edge [say 1/8"] off a penny sleeve so that it fits comfortably in the pocket. [For T206's, I cut the sleeve in half.] More than protecting them, this makes it easy to move cards around without damaging them.

In all, I have about a dozen different collections organized in looseleafs this way, and as I say it makes them easy and accessible to view.

Doug