NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-22-2012, 01:51 PM
Christopher Williams

Default CSC COLLECTIBLES Full Page Ad In SCD Magazine

Today, May 22, 2012, I received my June 1 issue of SCD magazine. When I got to page 8, I was, and still am, shocked at what I saw.

A full-page advertisement from CSC Collectibles.

The title of the full-page ad reads Scoreboard Closeout Sales! I hope that title is not referring to the old Scoreboard company. None of the autograph items on that page are from the old Scoreboard.

I am waiting for a reply from both the publisher and editor of SCD.

As we all know, COAs from CSC Collectibles and Chris Morales are on Ebay's Banned COA list.

The sub-heading of the ad reads "We Only Use Board and Court Qualified, Forensic Examination (Not Opinions)." In other words, Chris Morales.

Here is the full-page ad:

SCDCSC.jpg
Old 05-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I love where it says "We consign to auction houses and charities". Like we haven't been seing a lot of that lately.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Someone still gets SCD??

Considering they never did anything about Coach's, what makes you think they care about CSC? When your ship is going down the drain, the first thing you jettison is your integrity.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
Old 05-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
I love where it says "We consign to auction houses and charities". Like we haven't been seing a lot of that lately.
Isn't that the truth.

proxy-1.jpg

proxy-2.jpg

proxy-3.jpg
Old 05-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Someone still gets SCD??

Considering they never did anything about Coach's, what makes you think they care about CSC? When your ship is going down the drain, the first thing you jettison is your integrity.

Ken
Ken, last year I decided to subscribe to SCD. Ironically, my renewal arrived in the mail yesterday. Not renewing.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I used to love SCD back in the late 80's. Seemed like it was about an inch think with 1000's of dealers and 100's of shows with mail order. Between CC's ads, the shortening of existing subscriptions, and minimal content, that was enough for me.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:54 PM

I stopped receiving SCD sometime last year but CSC would have their advertisements on the back cover ever other week or so. There was also another company who had pretty much the same items and layout as the CSC ads.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFAUTOS View Post
I stopped receiving SCD sometime last year but CSC would have their advertisements on the back cover ever other week or so. There was also another company who had pretty much the same items and layout as the CSC ads.
I never knew that. I only started subscribing late last year and never noticed the CSC Collectibles ad.

Was their back cover advertisement a full page?
Old 05-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Banned

the guy is emailing me, he said they did a private signing with ali, and if i want proof, there is a picture of him and ali on the website, and there is, but it is not of ali signing anything, just posing with the guy. he asked me to look at the photo of him and ali as proof of the signing, and what more do i want???

i asked him where is burczyk? there is a cash reward for producing burczyk.

i told him ali didnt sign like that , and if he did, where is that distinct signature on other items , like scrap pieces of paper, dinner programs, matchbook covers, airline tickets, etc that fans always have ali sign the day before, the day after, the week before, etc, in the streets? that distinct style only shows up on his signing for one day for him. that truly is unbelievable, but the guy thinks he is fooling people.

i asked him the date and location that ali signed for him so i could cross check it with harlan werner, who knows every signing ali ever did the last 25 years plus. I asked him for the contract signed by ali so i could check the signature on that contract, so far nothing. he is short on evidence, and if it was legit, he would have no problem producing all sorts of evidence.

I did a signing with former WBO heavyweight champ Corrie Sanders from South Africa, and if anyone ever questioned the validity of that signature, I could back it up with picturesm email correspondences, email addresses, contacts, and have Corrie call him on the phone if he wasn't satisfied and I would never get defensive about it even if the guy came right off the bat questioning the autograph because I would have nothing to hide. A picture of Sanders standing next to somebody would never constitute proof of a specific signing and real collectors and dealers know that and wouldn't try to pass that off as proof of a specific signing.

Last edited by travrosty; 05-22-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
The sub-heading of the ad reads [I]"We Only Use Board and Court Qualified, Forensic Examination (Not Opinions)."
Like the FDEs provide some sort of objective fact rather than opinion? I don't get it.

Does anyone in the world think they are getting a real Koufax ball for $99 or Mays ball for $45?
Old 05-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Banned

especially since they had to pay the signer, the fde and overhead costs like storage, advertising, etc. Koufax won't sign for 90, or mays for 45, so how could they sell it for 90 or 45? They might say they got it at a bankruptcy sale, etc. but if it was a real koufax ball, you could still easily sell it for a lot more. And if it was real adn they did a private signing with these guys, all they had to do is take a closeup of koufax signing that exact style of signature, with good documentation as to the date, location, and contract, and you wouldn't need the fde cert.

CSC sells the Ali signed 8 x 10 for 175 dollars, and Islamic pamphlets go for 150 on ebay, so a signed 8 x 10 that is real would go for well over 250-350 easy. At 175 I know a couple of people stockpiling hundreds of ali signed photos that would buy them all , all day long at that price. they aren't doing that, and that tells us all we need to know. I sold a real ali signed 8 x 10 to one of these stockpilers 2 years ago for 135, and it was inscribed, he still wanted it, because he is stockpiling ali signatures, but he doesnt want these uninscribed Ali's at csc, why not? we all know.

Last edited by travrosty; 05-22-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Richard Simon

You know we fight these m----- f-----s like crazy but then you see an ad like this and know that they will get some response for Koufax and Mays at $45 and $95. And if collectors buy it at those prices, sometimes I think they get what they deserve.
As I have said many times they are selling for resale,to other lowlifes, but I would assume an ad in that disgusting dust magnet SCD would get some collector response.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-22-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Banned

It took forever for SCD to get rid of coaches corner after lots of people complained. they didnt want to.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Christopher Williams

Burczyk was the brainchild of a certain person, and unfortunately, the word forensic fooled tens of thousands of people (not collectors) into believing that crap had to be authentic.

I would love to see Calamusa produce proof that Burczyk examined tens of thousands of Mantle, DiMaggio, Williams, etc., autographs back in the early 1990's and yet his name (Burczyk) was never mentioned back then. That was quite a Houdini act.

It's difficult for me to believe that anyone would still sell that crap with a Burczyk COA. But then again, there are still buyers of that crap out there.

Maybe Calamusa can prove to us when and how he acquired the so-called Scoreboard inventory he mentions in his full-page ad.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 05-22-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:16 PM
David Linardy

Unhappy csc

i was pretty disapointed in scd for allowing this ad to be published... i can't believe that they are unaware of csc and morales...
Old 05-22-2012, 05:21 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop View Post
i was pretty disapointed in scd for allowing this ad to be published... i can't believe that they are unaware of csc and morales...
+1
Old 05-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Like the FDEs provide some sort of objective fact rather than opinion? I don't get it.

Does anyone in the world think they are getting a real Koufax ball for $99 or Mays ball for $45?
Yeah, Chris Morales and his $10-$20 Forensic Examination Rate.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Banned

he emailed me and said they did a private signing with ali with his daughter present, when i asked for the day and location, he all of the sudden changed his story and just said the words "scoreboard" changed his story when the first one didn't work.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

OK, forgive my ignorance, but I'm asking this seriously:

There is no actual person named Nick Burczyk?? (or whatever his first name is.)

Ken

Last edited by earlywynnfan; 05-22-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: type
Old 05-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:

Ken
Ken, I believe a Nicholas Burczyk does (or did) exist, but he never examined any Mantle, DiMaggio, Williams, etc., autographs.

I actually own stuff with Nicholas Burczyk stickers. The stickers all read 04/23/92. As a matter of fact, two of the pieces I own have a Burczyk sticker, a YMC sticker and a COA from Chris Morales.

It's amazing that no one heard of Nicholas Burczyk until a few years ago. The poor guy has had his name dragged through the mud. He never examined any sports autographs.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:45 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:

Ken
I believe a few papers on handwriting have been attributed to him dating back to the 80s or early 90s. That's it.

There has been speculation that he is dead or in a nursing home somewhere completely unaware his name has been used on these useless certs.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Richard Simon

As far as authenticating autographs he was probably a figment of the imagination of the head of the Florida All Star bogus autograph team.
Right you boys in Fla?
You are going through all the all stars in the authentication business. Hopefully, to drag them all down with you.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-22-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
He was probably a figment of the imagination of the head of the Florida All Star bogus autograph team.
Right you boys in Fla?
You are going through all the all stars in the authentication business. Hopefully, to drag them all down with you.
+1
Old 05-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Banned

now he said the conversation is done, that if i dont know about ali and scoreboard, then i dont know ali. of course i never see scoreboard ali's. only one or two certs in my life like that and i believe they were manufactured. if ali really did a scoreboard signing, there would be tons of certs out there from scoreboard. of course we have seen a scoreboard babe ruth cert too, so those certs are hardly proof of anything.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Richard Simon

The Babe Ruth autograph with the Scoreboard cert was offered to me some time ago.
It might have been the funniest thing that ever happened to me in the hobby.
--
Old 05-22-2012, 08:54 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Default Email sent to Editor Tom Bartsch...

Hello Tom,

I am writing with concern that a magazine and website I have grown to trust and subscribe to has completely let me down.

How is it possible for your magazine has the audacity to allow CSC Collectibles to run a full page ad. Advertising ridiculous prices and pictures of autographed items that scream forgery. Are you not aware of your past publications in regards to Operation Bullpen? And the fact that you are now supporting these individuals that are poisoning the hobby?

You should know who Chris Morales is and that his certifications are completely bogus.

Please let me know when you plan to pull the ad or expect the backlash to be much worse.

Please check www.net54baseball.com for additional complaints regarding this ad.

James Graham
Jgmp123@yahoo.com
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 05-22-2012, 08:55 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Not that I expect to get a response, but additional letters to the editor may force their hand.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

Old 05-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
Hello Tom,

I am writing with concern that a magazine and website I have grown to trust and subscribe to has completely let me down.

How is it possible for your magazine has the audacity to allow CSC Collectibles to run a full page ad. Advertising ridiculous prices and pictures of autographed items that scream forgery. Are you not aware of your past publications in regards to Operation Bullpen? And the fact that you are now supporting these individuals that are poisoning the hobby?

You should know who Chris Morales is and that his certifications are completely bogus.

Please let me know when you plan to pull the ad or expect the backlash to be much worse.

Please check www.net54baseball.com for additional complaints regarding this ad.

James Graham
Jgmp123@yahoo.com
I emailed both Scott & Tom at SCD this afternoon. No reply yet. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:10 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Default Response from Tom.....

Hi James,
* *Thanks for your e-mail. Yes, we are quite aware of Morales and his
reputation in the hobby. The running of such an ad was due to poor
communication to say the least and won't be happening again. Thank you.

Tom Bartsch
SCD

Old 05-23-2012, 05:45 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
now he said the conversation is done, that if i dont know about ali and scoreboard, then i dont know ali. of course i never see scoreboard ali's. only one or two certs in my life like that and i believe they were manufactured. if ali really did a scoreboard signing, there would be tons of certs out there from scoreboard. of course we have seen a scoreboard babe ruth cert too, so those certs are hardly proof of anything.
I emailed Travis some information and I'll post it here.

Muhammad Ali signed 1500 pieces for Scoreboard. Scoreboard had Ali signed to a 1-year autograph contract and he only signed 1500 pieces. Those 1500 pieces were either sold on TV or to Hammacker. I doubt very much if Scoreboard had Ali sign 5X7 photographs.

As for Mark Calamusa (CSC Collectibles), he's on Ebay's Banned COA list. Second, we've shown hundreds of examples of the crap he sells. Third, whatever he claims is a reflection of the autographs he sells.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:48 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
Hi James,
* *Thanks for your e-mail. Yes, we are quite aware of Morales and his
reputation in the hobby. The running of such an ad was due to poor
communication to say the least and won't be happening again. Thank you.

Tom Bartsch
SCD
Poor communication?
How about desperate for advertising?
I would bet if they were not called out on this by Net54 that CSC would have had a chance to be a regular advertiser. Not that it means much now, considering their subscriber base is probably 5% of what it used to be.
Good work guys.
Good to see that people are taking action.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-23-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:52 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Richard,

I couldn't agree more...The company is struggling and a paper medium is dying. I have to assume they will try to figure some way to take money from csc.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:17 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Poor communication?
How about desperate for advertising?
I would bet if they were not called out on this by Net54 that CSC would have had a chance to be a regular advertiser. Not that it means much now, considering their subscriber base is probably 5% of what it used to be.
Good work guys.
Good to see that people are taking action.
I agree, Richard.

If HOFAUTOS is correct that CSC Collectibles was advertising in SCD last year, I think that speaks volumes.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Banned

This company has way more than 1500 signed ali signed photos in my opinion, about 40 or 50 different poses, multiple sizes. they must have thousands upon thousands, they have them authenticated by burczyk, morales, stat, and maybe gai.

for them to claim they are 'scoreboard' ali's is laughable. they don't provide any scoreboard certs, even though those aren't proof of anything, they don't have any, they have equally worthless burczyk certs with no pictures or matching stickers, no chain of custody.

Last edited by travrosty; 05-23-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Richard Simon

And take a look at this FUGLY Koufax ball from their website.
Man wouldn't you just love to have this on display?
Samly Koufx?
And it is $150 on the website. Guess you should order through the SCD ad if you want the good price .
This is so painfully drawn, looks like Samly is only making about $30 an hour .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cscKoufaxWhitePanelBall.jpg (46.0 KB, 251 views)
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-23-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
And take a look at this FUGLY Koufax ball from their website.
Man wouldn't you just love to have this on display?
Samly Koufx?
And it is $150 on the website. Guess you should order through the SCD ad if you want the good price .
To top it off, looks like a fake plastic China ball.

Imitation ball for an imitation signature.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Richard Simon

The real Sandy Koufax is getting $350 (?) per ball.
If those autographs are real we can break the company if we all order baseballs .
But this is signed by Samly Koufx so I am sure Samly is much less expensive than Sandy.
--
Old 05-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Someone still gets SCD??

Ken
+1
Old 05-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Banned

Harlan Werner is Sandy's agent now and is doing a private signing with him and the prices are even higher than that for both balls and photos.

but the "real" ones this company carries can be sold off at a cut rate price.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:14 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Any way to get in contact with Harlan to have a cease and desist letter sent to CSC?

Old 05-23-2012, 11:01 AM
keith janosky

Yea I also agree if guys on NET54 wouldn't have gotten ahold of SCD they would still let CSC advertise. They say Bad Communication? Wouldn't there be any proof readers at SCD or wouldn't a red flag go up when you see a FULL PAGE AD of CSC on the back cover before it goes to press or gets released to the public for mailing? SCD is a joke anymore. I was a subscriber for 20 years and after a few years ago they refused to dump CC and I dropped them and have not regretted it ever.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Christopher Williams

How about this horrific piece of crap presented to you by Mark Calamusa of CSC Collectibles. Authenticated (hahaha) by Stat Authentic who writes Why not trust all your hobby and authentication needs to someone who has lived and breathed the hobby for decades? Very funny, Ted.

Ted, you're (TTA/Stat Authentic) on Ebay's Banned COA list for a reason.

Cal500Stat.jpg

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 05-23-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Thirty years a trial lawyer but wondering how you get a court to "recognize" an exemplar file.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrain View Post
Thirty years a trial lawyer but wondering how you get a court to "recognize" an exemplar file.
That's the kind of wording they use to impress the new (I'm being polite) collector.

DA2C.jpg

CSCCollectibles-COA.jpg
Old 05-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Christopher Williams

Oh yeah, we can't forget Florida's new COA.

mysto.jpg
Old 05-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
I never knew that. I only started subscribing late last year and never noticed the CSC Collectibles ad.

Was their back cover advertisement a full page?
Page #8 IS the back cover.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Page #8 IS the back cover.
Good one, Dan...
Old 05-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrain View Post
Does Chris Morales own a database of exemplars? If he does, I'd love to see his Mickey Mantle exemplars.

Does Chris Morales have a rejection folder? Has Chris Morales ever rejected an autograph that he's been paid to examine?

Does Chris Morales actually use the Stereo Microscope that he shows on his website?
Old 05-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

MYST-O-GRAPH? Really? Shouldn't it be MYST-E-RY, as in it's a mystery who actually signed those autographs?
Old 05-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Richard Simon

Court recognized exemplar file,, WTF is that??
Who dreamed up those words??
I didn't know courts were in the business of recognizing exemplar files.
What a scam.
"Our autographs suck and there is no way you can prove they don't."
And who is going to "verify" the file?
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-23-2012 at 06:07 PM.