NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Default Very enjoyable Vintage Baseball reading

Posted By: Joe D.

I am not sure if many know this - so I wanted to pass this along.

The NY Times website allows you to search their archives and then read the articles.

Right on the main page.... switch the drop down to "NYT Archive 1851-1980"
then put in any search term or player or event that you want.

for instance... try "Van Haltren"

VERY COOOL! click and read articles from that time.

Some articles will have a '$' - so you will have to pay to read those.... but there are plenty that are free.
I am actually thinking of subscribing just to have full access to the archives.

link to the main site:
http://nytimes.com/

edit:
here is a gem found while searching "Ty Cobb"

The entire team was on strike because Ty Cobb was suspended for attacking a spectator.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9D01EEDB153CE633A2575BC1A9639C94 6396D6CF&scp=57&sq=ty+cobb&st=p

Old 03-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Anderson

That's a great link - thanks for sharing. I can see how that site could keep one occupied for a very long time!

Old 03-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DMcD

Joe D.: Your tip is right on the money. I have been using the NYT archives for a few years now and it is a fantastic resource for old baseball articles and everything else, for that matter. It is just wonderful to read about our vintage heroes in the grand writing style of the day. On a few occasions I have posted articles on this board when they had some pertinence to a thread. Only drawback is that the articles are displayed in .pdf format and can't be copied like a jpeg, so I've needed to cobble them together from screen captures. No biggie.

You used to have to subscribe to the NYT, either on-line or paper delivery, in order to access the archives. I got a subscription to the Sunday paper only, 21 bucks a month, and that was sufficient for access. The policy has changed somewhat in that alot of the articles seem to be freely accessible now without having to log in. All the same, I have kept the Sunday subscription because the NYT is way superior to our local rag (The Honolulu Advertiser) which ain't much good for anything else besides car crashes, obituaries and swatting our B52 cockroaches.

Here is a link to the first citation of Christy Mathewson in the archives, October 5, 1899. He was playing fullback for Bucknell at the time. http://tinyurl.com/2p2q3d

-

Old 03-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Joe, what a resource; I had no idea and I've been a Times subscriber forever. Just been reading about Hal Chase's exploits from 1908. Incredible stuff.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Denny Walsh

Joe, Outstanding Stuff! Thanks for the Archive Awareness....

Hey David ~ So, I guess Field Goals use to be 5 points apiece! Learn somthing New Everyday Around here!

Mathewson was a rock! Fullback to fadeaway... On my way back to check out somemore ancient goodies...

Life's Grand,
Denny Walsh