NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-03-2018, 11:18 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default What would you think if you got this reply from a major auction house?

I recently saw a lot in an auction by a major auction house with cards from multiple sets etc. They had one photo showing a lot of cards, from different sets, most hidden where you could not see condition, numbers names etc.

In the description they just said for example:

1952 Topps 13 diff, 1949 Leaf 18 diff, etc. No card numbers listed on any of them.

I emailed and asked what numbers they had from one of the sets and to send me a scan of two cards I could partially see in the photo.

I received no replies after three emails. I finally emailed the owner of the AH and received the below reply:

we will do our best but we are in the throes of the recent auction and we will try

The next day in my inbox was an email from the person I originally emailed. Figuring the owner had asked them to reply to my questions, that person replied:

Sorry, yes, we received your requests and it is on our list to do, but with the catalog auction just closing we are extremely busy and have not had a chance to do it yet.
We will try our best, but i can not promise anything.

Am I being unrealistic in my request? If an AH can not answer questions on an auction ending in a week because they are still dealing with an earlier auction maybe they should not run them so close together.

Your take?
Old 04-04-2018, 12:01 AM
Bob Davies

Whenever I see an online auction where not all the cards are displayed, I assume there is something wrong. They're not hiding a bunch of PSA 7's and 8's under the PSA 4's. I assume all "hidden" cards are not on the top for a reason, and will almost ignore the value of those items when deciding what to bid on a lot.

In answer to your question, you as a potential bidder or consumer have every right to ask a question on the lot. They've taken the time to send you a couple of responses, but not taken the time to inspect the lot for you. My take is there is no gold in the hidden stuff, and they know it. Therefore there is no reason why they would point the obvious out to you. I'd move on.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:37 AM
Dave Foster

Too many AH out there to deal with this nonsense and that value your $$$. Move on.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:02 AM
Banned

i once read (maybe on this board during my lurking days) that a great way to choose an auction house for your consignments is to see how they treat you like a bidder, like in the situation described here. if an AH doesn’t have the time or inclination to accurately describe an item and/or get a bidder the info he needs on items you want to bid on, why would you think that auction house will do things right when it is your items they are selling? too many auction houses treat their businesses like a part-time job.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:54 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I have only modest problems with this if it is their own items. It is bad service for sure and they will deflate their selling price, but at the end of the day they suffer the consequences for their actions. I have serious problems with this if is on behalf of a consignor.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:10 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

"What would you think if you got this reply from a major auction house?"

I sure would like to know who it is so that I can evaluate doing business with them in the future.

Jeff