NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-23-2018, 07:55 PM
octavio ranzola

Making friends
Old 12-23-2018, 11:44 PM

Several key ones. Among them:

1. Don't ever be afraid to over-pay, and perhaps even set a record for a buying price, if the piece you are contemplating is first, in ultra-high grade for the issue, and second, if it rarely comes up in that grade, and third and foremost, if the card is one you've wanted for a long time and love dearly, and have to tear yourself away from looking at it. This occurred with me each time I bought a Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle.

2. Be double-dog sure before you sell, or get rid of, a choice card in your collection. You might be ready to let it go, but YOU BETTER KNOW YOURSELF. I got rid of a nice 1947 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson in the late 80s. Nice buyer, a Canadian, who told me he'd take it with him to the grave. That was nice. It wasn't long before I began to regret selling it. The card was a solid EXCELLENT -TO- MINT, and nicely centered. I really like how Jack looks, and I love the promotion. Overall, those beauties are rare today. They've appreciated handsomely, but are probably still quite underrated. It was only when I produced my fantasy 1954 Wilson Franks Jackie Robinson did my pain vanish.

3. Treat as many people as possible with kindness and dignity. You never know who you're actually dealing with. I've hauled off and slugged some collectors verbally who were being belligerent with me, true. But life is hard as it is, and I try to show a glad hand, and congratulate other collectors when they're full of joy over a new acquisition. Then again, there's all too many thoughtless, udder assholes in this hobby, full of pure selfishness---- braggadocios of the third degree, and it's kinda hard sometimes. So, I say all that to say, it's good to hold thy tongue, lest one stick their smelly foot in their mouth, and regret it! 'Course, I keep my feet nicely scrubbed!

Though I admit I am out of the ball game as far as buying vintage material, and have been for some time, the basic drive and collector strategies and intermingling have not changed one whit.

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only hope for peace was born in the Middle East. His name is Jesus Christ, the Kind of Kings, and the Lord of Lords! The promised Messiah---to the Jews first and the Gentiles second.

---- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 12-26-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:04 AM
David M.

It's better to buy quality than quantity.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:32 AM
Michael

My friend once said it well "cards can't love you back".
I have made some great purchases and some foolish ones- trades too. Don't beat yourself up over the bad ones or items you should have bid higher on. It is alot of fun but there are more satisfying things too and it won't say on your headstone- best T206 collection or something like that
Old 12-24-2018, 09:16 AM
Bruce Fairchild

I've learned many things.
Collect what you like.
Buy the best you can afford.
Have a budget and TRY to follow it.
Be patient, most times nicer cards will surface.
I'm not good at grading so don't buy raw cards.
Be organized.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
It's better to buy quality than quantity.
+1
Yes quality most important.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Don't try to compete with other peoples collections...there is always someone else out there with a better collection...atleast in my world!
+1
Yes someone always has a better card collection.
Unless you are ken Kendrick he has the best collection.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:18 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Default Learned this a long time ago.

Don't touch the corners.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:24 PM
Ken McMillan

Learned several things. First, not everything is about money. You may have a card somebody wants that is more valuable than what they can afford or want to pay but you make the deal anyway just for the goodwill it creates. Helping other collectors with their collection can change their day from a bad day to a great day.

Next, fairness. Life is not always about me. You learn to be kinder and more forgiving.

You also learn to appreciate what you have. Just seein* my collection makes me smile.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:34 PM
Johnny MaZilli

A card is worthless until you sell it. Never let emotions get the best of you when selling or buying a card.

Merry Christmas to All :-)

Last edited by Johnny630; 12-24-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:46 PM
Bob B.

Default What I've learned...

Pay attention to detail!
Old 12-24-2018, 02:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Saying Mr. Kendrick has the best collection is a bit naive, imo. He has some great looking high grade cards for sure. But there are other collections which are far more valuable and with a much greater breadth....

and something learned would probably be ...to be patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoggs View Post
+1
Yes someone always has a better card collection.
Unless you are ken Kendrick he has the best collection.

Last edited by Leon; 12-24-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:23 PM
Clint

Take a break from the chase to enjoy what you have and share your collection with others. Don’t beat yourself up over the losses something else will come along.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:52 PM

Enjoy what you got. Someone also has more but remember someone has less too.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:27 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Sometimes it's more fun to give a card to someone who needs it rather than sell it. It all comes back around eventually.
The mantra of OBC!! Nothing better than sending Random Acts of Kindness...

Take Care,
Geno
Old 12-25-2018, 08:13 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
+1

I hate when I make an offer that is more than fair and the seller replies that he paid more than that, I'm sorry that you overpaid but it does not mean I'm going to.
I like this one. Brings to mind the experience I had at last year's National with a dealer who had a 1917-20 M106 Felix Mendelsohn Tris Speaker with two large tack holes in the card. It is, in truth, a rare card, but the tack holes were quite distracting and decreased the eye appeal substantially. Still, I made him what I considered to be an extremely reasonable offer for the card. His indignant reply was, "I paid more than that for it!" My response was that maybe it was time to cut his losses. He disagreed. Who knows? If restoration continues to make an impact and this set continues to gain recognition, maybe time will reveal that he made the right choice!

Best to all this holiday season,

Larry
Old 12-25-2018, 08:15 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Saying Mr. Kendrick has the best collection is a bit naive, imo. He has some great looking high grade cards for sure. But there are other collections which are far more valuable and with a much greater breadth....

+1. Who has the best collection will almost always depend on one's perspective.

Sincerely,

Larry
Old 12-25-2018, 08:39 PM
Geno W@gn&r

That is so true!! I bought GE stock, and it has tanked. So who do I complain to that I lost? I hate when people want to pass their bad decisions on to me...

Cheers,
Geno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
I like this one. Brings to mind the experience I had at last year's National with a dealer who had a 1917-20 M106 Felix Mendelsohn Tris Speaker with two large tack holes in the card. It is, in truth, a rare card, but the tack holes were quite distracting and decreased the eye appeal substantially. Still, I made him what I considered to be an extremely reasonable offer for the card. His indignant reply was, "I paid more than that for it!" My response was that maybe it was time to cut his losses. He disagreed. Who knows? If restoration continues to make an impact and this set continues to gain recognition, maybe time will reveal that he made the right choice!

Best to all this holiday season,

Larry
Old 12-25-2018, 09:45 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

Leon is exactly right. Kendrick probably has the finest, or close to finest, copy of every card he has. Unfortunately, he does not have a lot of diversity in his collection. There are at least two board members who have both better, and more valuable, collections (not me, lol).
Old 12-26-2018, 12:14 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

That you are an expert in one area doesn't make you an expert in another area. Approach a new area realizing there is much you don't know.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:14 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
+1

I hate when I make an offer that is more than fair and the seller replies that he paid more than that, I'm sorry that you overpaid but it does not mean I'm going to.
2 Things -

1.) Buy High - Sell Low and
2.) Pete Rose deserves to be in HOF

Last edited by toledo_mudhen; 12-26-2018 at 05:15 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:23 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
I have learned collecting has been very cruel yet rewarding at the same time....

most important lesson:

"PEOPLE ARE WORTH MORE THAN CARDBOARD, YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU"

"RESPECT OTHERS AND TREAT THEM THE WAY YOU WANT TO BE TREATED"

I try to follow this at all times, sometimes the cardboard gets the better of me, my passion, but in the end collectors / people are worth more than any dream card.... RIP to our fellow collectors, especially Jantz
That is so true. I've found over the years that card collecting has taken a backseat to the knowledge I've gained though the cards (like history, economics and how the game and hobby have evolved) and through the people I've met.

I think the hobby has a lot to teach us and I love these comments, great perspectives.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:29 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
+1. Who has the best collection will almost always depend on one's perspective.

Sincerely,

Larry
Larry, I have found that no one will ever appreciate the time, energy and knowledge you put onto your collection more than you.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:59 AM
J0hn Collin$

Cool topic for a post - as it really made me think. I like a lot of what I have read here! The below are just for me personally and may not apply to everyone - but in 32 years of buying cards off and on since I opened that first Topps pack at age 9 - here is what I would say:

1. Don't sweat it when you have to sell something: First off, I don't have hidden hoards of disposable income in the closet or my safety deposit box down at the bank, and second - I'm married, so even if I did... when I want to add something substantial to my collection - like some of the rest of you, it sometimes requires me to sell something that I already have to finance said purchase. I've learned the hard way over the years that I will ponder and deliberate in frustration for hours up to days about selling whatever it is...but then whenever it is done and after I've put the card in the mail - 9 out of 10 times I don't think about it ever again after a few days. I know many people have regrets selling cards like this - but strangely and even for some pretty hefty expensive and/or important vintage cards - this does not happen to me. I'm always able to move on to whatever I just bought or other pieces of my collection.

2. Don't forget about something as soon as it's in hand and move on only in the spirit of the chase: No disrespect to those of you that do this, but I've never understood the type of collector who will brag to others about having this or that fantastic card, "Oh, but I haven't seen it in 10 years because it's locked-up down at the bank." Huh? I guess I can see that point with ultra expensive cards, but to me this totally defeats the purpose of having a nice collection. I LOOK at my favorite cards - daily, hell I've been known sometimes to take a few with me to work or on trips. Jefferson Burdick has a quote about cards being able to lift you from your present concerns - "work-a-day cares" or something like that. How are you going to do that if you never look at your cards?

3. Participate in the hobby in some way: Do something other than just stockpiling cardboard. I don't have the time or luxury to drive anymore to go to shows, and all the LCS's in the area have forsaken me and closed as well - but only after that was when I found Net54. Just talking about the hobby and reflecting on the various topics that come up here has been tremendously enjoyable to me over the past 3+ years now. Truth be told, I probably get more out of the Net54 board interaction than I do from the cards themselves. I've always been a bit of a nerdy introvert with the hobby - I don't have a lot of hobby friends I see in person (sorry, for me this is mostly about cards, less about people...er, at least in person) and I generally tend to it when my wife and kids are doing other things. But I will say that the advent of the internet opened up another whole world to me in terms of finding a place to talk about the hobby.

4. As others have said: Collect what you like and don't be swung to do something just because it's popular for others you admire or in the hobby in general. The classic example for me is set collecting. I don't know how many times I've tried to be a set collector just because it seems like the thing I should be doing, but I can tell you I've failed every single time. Even with beautiful vintage sets like '67 Topps - there will come a point where I get tired of spending money on common cards. I simply don't care that much about them. At the end of the day for an additional card, I'd rather have a HOFer out of a set that I'm NOT collecting, than a 1967 Topps Herman Franks just because - well...I guess I need him because I'm doing the set. I've also realized as I came to terms with the set collecting issue - that it's incredibly liberating to NOT need certain random cards just because of the set. Technically now I don't "need" anything - each additional card I get because I want it, and only because I want it. And there is no next step or required piece. I may buy 50 more cards this year, or I may be done. It doesn't matter because there is no goal line.

5. Let it be a hobby, but not an obsession. If any decision around collecting or about a purchase becomes too stressful or difficult, let it go. The cards are what I go to ostensibly to escape the real world. If they are suddenly a source of stress themselves, well then something ain't right...

I could go on...but wiill leave these as my thoughts for now. Thanks!

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-28-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:36 AM
Jim

Due diligence, one reason I don't care for tpg's.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:48 AM
Scott Nelson

For me, it's a few things:

1. Patience. If it's something that comes along pretty often, don't rush to overpay or settle for something you aren't happy with just because you want it now. Another will be along. That said, if it's something harder to come by and you're ready to buy, pounce when when it comes along assuming you're satisfied with it. It's OK to overpay a little IMO (within reason) for something scarce that you really want.

2. Finish what you start. When I was younger I found that I kept selling off stuff I'd started to fund the next obsession. I was having fun but my collection was going nowhere. I finally found the discipline in later years to stick with something until it's done, and now I have a nice collection. Also don't spread yourself too thin and have too many irons in the fire. Stay focused. Especially if you're a set builder. I guess this all goes back to patience, too.

3. Have fun and collect what you like. It doesn't have to be expensive, high grade, or what everyone else likes. If you don't enjoy the hobby then you're doing it wrong.

Last edited by T205Cub; 12-28-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:12 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Many interesting thoughts in this thread but they are all 'growed up' ones. I found the most profound lessons I learned from collecting were learned as a kid:

1: Negotiations 101: Card collecting was great preparation for business life. I got ripped off quite a bit when I first started collecting. A couple of older kids in my neighborhood took advantage of my naivete as a 6-9 year old. But those were early, cheap lessons in the psychology and the nuts and bolts of deal making: how to maintain a poker face, how to facilitate a negotiation, bundling items for trade or sale, how to approach discounting, etc. By the time I was a tween I was a card shark, so to speak, and by the time I got to professional practice as a lawyer, analyzing and negotiating settlements in civil litigation was second nature to me because of all the negotiating I did as a kid card collector.

2: The value of information: I devoured everything I could find on cards and collecting. As a result I developed better knowledge of rare and esoteric issues than many others, even dealers. One of the reasons I've always gravitated to oddball issues is that relative information advantage. It is one reason why I spend so much time at the National going through random accumulations of stuff: there's gold in them thar piles, if you know how to look at them. That lesson has served me well in life too.

3: STFU and listen: You have two ears and two eyes and one mouth, so you should probably speak 20% of the time and listen and watch 80% of the time. People will reveal so much about themselves, if you shut your cakehole and pay attention.

4: When it comes to old stuff, don't just assume something is trash: a variant on information value. There have been quite a few times in my collecting life that I have stumbled across something that isn't in my collecting wheelhouse but that seemed interesting and worth saving, and I have rarely regretting saving it. My greatest find was literally saved from the garbage: I salvaged thousands of pieces of Academy Awards memorabilia from the trash when I was hired to clear out 50 or so old file cabinets at my father's public relations company during spring break one year in college. I didn't even know there was a market for the stuff but it was so cool that I kept everything that looked interesting, and selling it over the years paid for a lot of baseball cards.

5: Your word is all you have: should be self-explanatory but unfortunately isn't. You have one reputation so you best not destroy it with shady practices.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-28-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Leon is exactly right. Kendrick probably has the finest, or close to finest, copy of every card he has. Unfortunately, he does not have a lot of diversity in his collection. There are at least two board members who have both better, and more valuable, collections (not me, lol).
Wow so that means at least 2 board members have each in excess of 30 to 40 million dollars worth of strictly cards.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:52 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

I collected for many years before opening my store. Life is short - do what makes you happy.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:05 PM

Default wow....

seeing one of those collection I would imagine you would need some O2
Old 01-03-2019, 10:14 PM

Default Caution please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoggs View Post
Wow so that means at least 2 board members have each in excess of 30 to 40 million dollars worth of strictly cards.
Please use discretion ; sometimes TheWidowGarcia reads these boards...I'd just as soon she didn't know some things...