NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default More crap - Ebay seller vintage reprints

check out their completed listings as well, more garbage entering the hobby

http://cgi.ebay.com/LATE-1800S-Charl...item2a1014c506
Old 04-28-2011, 06:24 AM
Bill

ALL reprints are filthy garbage IMO. Even that Helmar trash. Not good for the hobby.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:48 AM
David Str@@te

I'm with you as far as hating reprints. I personally can't lump Helmar in that category as they are very clear that what they are selling is not a reprint. Either way, someday at the Net54 gathering before the national, there should be a bonfire where everybody can have a beer by the firelight of burning Goudey Ruths and Gehrigs.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Dan McCarthy

The Comiskey guy clearly states it's a reprint, which is a lot better than the people who say, "found in grandpaw's attic but I know nothing of sports cards so it's sold as is." That Comiskey card will almost certainly be sold that way in the next few weeks. The thing that frustrates me about the Helmar people is that they list the era as "Pre-WWII" which I think is a little misleading and clutters up my searches. Some of the Helmar things sell for hundreds of dollars, which is absurd -- it would be one thing if they were original paintings, but they're not (as far as I know?). I don't think they'd be reaching those prices if the listings weren't at least a little misleading. I don't like any of this nonsense!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Steve Birmingham

A few of the Helmar things are actual card size paintings. I looked at a few when they were doing some T206 style, but they were just too expensive.

To me it's not the reprints themselves, but the way they're sold. The commercially produced sets of various T cards seem interesting, but selling abused single cards is just odd.

Steve B
Old 04-28-2011, 11:23 AM
David McDonald

To each their own. I like 'em a lot.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Bill

Don't get me wrong. I think Helmar pieces look awesome. The reason I think they are bad for the hobby is that somewhere along the line some poor sap is going to pay big $ for one, thinking or being led to think, that it is a period piece.

Last edited by 53Browns; 04-28-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:27 AM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Browns View Post
Don't get me wrong. I think Helmar pieces look awesome. The reason I think they are bad for the hobby is that somewhere along the line some poor sap is going to pay big $ for one, thinking or being led to think, that it is a period piece.
I knew what I was getting into. As for the poor saps, it probably would be better if Mr. Mandel put a copyright date on the back of the card.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default no doubt of that outcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
I knew what I was getting into. As for the poor saps, it probably would be better if Mr. Mandel put a copyright date on the back of the card.
We would then get to see a telltale sign (erasure) where the copyright date had been removed .
Old 04-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
We would then get to see a telltale sign (erasure) where the copyright date had been removed .
Most of the Helmar cards I see do not have a year on them: http://cgi.ebay.com/R319-Helmar-BIG-...ht_1153wt_1131

There is no way that every Helmar card being sold is not being bidded on by someone who thinks that it is a prewar printed item. I also like them and envy the skills the creator has but I feel that ageing them to look like they are old is misleading. You have to ask yourself if they sold them in mint condition and put 2011 on the back would they reach the dollar amounts that they are selling for? I say no.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:16 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I wish everyone would quit calling these reprints. They are not reprints. Reprint would require them to be "RE"-printed by the original company or whoever owns the rights or is authorized to do so. These are flat out counterfeit. Nothing more, nothing less. Every one of these should be removed from ebay because they are NOT authorized reprints. Buying these, only fuels these a**holes to keep making 'em..

Last edited by novakjr; 04-28-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
I wish everyone would quit calling these reprints. They are not reprints. Reprint would require them to be "RE"-printed by the original company or whoever owns the rights or is authorized to do so. These are flat out counterfeit. Nothing more, nothing less. Every one of these should be removed from ebay because they are NOT authorized reprints. Buying these, only fuels these a**holes to keep making 'em..
Well at least these guy's are honest: http://sports-cards.shop.ebay.com/i.....c0.m270.l1313

Last edited by hunterdutchess; 04-28-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Bill Cauley

Default Big Shocker Here....

So, thejudyshore sells this one to rcinvestmentsinc, leaving feedback for the buyer on April 22nd.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...253D&viewitem=

Now, this one looks very similar (please correct me if I'm wrong, they look to be the same). This one is for sale by one feedback person balooandbogey who happens to be in the same town as the person who sold the above auction thejudyshore. However, they still state that it is a reprint. Unless they are just trying to build feedback for whatever reason, I don't get it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1933-Goudey-Babe...item20b8e702cf

Last edited by BCauley; 04-28-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Dan McCarthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
I wish everyone would quit calling these reprints. They are not reprints. Reprint would require them to be "RE"-printed by the original company or whoever owns the rights or is authorized to do so.
I think the images on the cards/the design are in the public domain now (anything pre-1923, anyway). But I think someone making reprints would need to have a license from the MLB to incorporate team names/logos, and possibly permission from players' estates.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:40 AM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectbaseball View Post
I think the images on the cards/the design are in the public domain now (anything pre-1923, anyway). But I think someone making reprints would need to have a license from the MLB to incorporate team names/logos, and possibly permission from players' estates.
Maybe that's the case with this card, although it says "reprint" at the bottom of the card, there's no indication of who made it or where it was made. Would this be considered a fake reprint, or an authorized reprint?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg various 056.jpg (32.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg various 057.jpg (21.8 KB, 75 views)
Old 04-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Don

Some of that Helmar stuff is awesome.