NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Bob Lemke

Default Harrington's/Yuengling's, etc. Earl Smith

harrington_smith f and b.jpg

I've exchanged a few e-mails with Pete Calderon at Heritage concerning the 1928 Harrington's Earl Smith #48 card they have in their Oct. 1 auction. The SGC-graded Good card is already up to $11,000.

Pete's auction lot description says there are only two graded by SGC and none by PSA. He theorizes the green Smith cards were used as an exchange if/when a kid turned in the complete 60-card set for a gallon of ice cream. But that would mean that regular black-and-white cards would have been issued.

My questions . . .

Do b/w Earl Smith cards exist for Harrington's?

Are there any recorded #48 Smith survivors (b/w or green) among the parallel sets from Yuengling, Tharp or Sweetman?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 09-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Bob, I saw that card in the current auction and have to say that I am fairly shocked that it has recieved any bids. Are we 100% sure this Earl Smith is a shortprinted card card like some of the other 1920's SP's like the Maple Crispette Stengel or Cleghorn (hockey), the Holland Peckinpaugh, the V145-1 Corbeau (hockey), etc.? Are there really that many 1920's Ice Cream card collectors out there to justify the price? It is definitely an interesting piece, but the price seems a bit odd.

-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 09-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lemke View Post
Pete's auction lot description says there are only two graded by SGC and none by PSA.
The SGC pop reports also show 11 Harrington's cards with only 1 example graded...
Old 09-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Bradley Holt

Default interesting price

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Bob, I saw that card in the current auction and have to say that I am fairly shocked that it has recieved any bids. Are we 100% sure this Earl Smith is a shortprinted card card like some of the other 1920's SP's like the Maple Crispette Stengel or Cleghorn (hockey), the Holland Peckinpaugh, the V145-1 Corbeau (hockey), etc.? Are there really that many 1920's Ice Cream card collectors out there to justify the price? It is definitely an interesting piece, but the price seems a bit odd.

-Rhett
Agreed, more research is needed before making any type of commitment! I'd also like to know how the seller convinted the auction house regarding card value or opening bid??

Last edited by V117collector; 09-11-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Bradley Holt

Default The Green One

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ght=Earl+Smith
Old 09-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by V117collector View Post
Brad - good find; I thought this discussion had come up previously. My thoughts haven't changed since then:

"about 75% of the cards in the issue have a composite population of 3 or less."

I don't see any way the pop reports indicate that it was a chase card.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default well

If I were the consignor I would be clicking my heels right about now...and maybe buy a lotto ticket and airplane ticket to Vegas.....And to think the E121- Shotwell Ruth card only brought somewhere around 8k after juice.....Where's my can of spray paint?
Old 09-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Jeez....kinda glad I hung on to mine. I've had a page dedicated to this card on my site for a while now...in an SGC 20 holder...

http://www.geocities.com/redmaccie/f50.html
Old 09-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Brian, I knew you had one which is why I was trying to kinda polite about it because if you had consigned it I didn't want it to come off as me calling you out or anything, but now that I know this card isn't yours I'll admit that the price is absolutely shocking to me. Not necesarily the fact that they opened the bidding at $10,000 but that there are people actually bidding on it. Wow! is all I can say, and if I were you Brian now seems to be the time to sell!
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 09-11-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Hey Rhett,

No worries at all. I'm frankly shocked it has received bids myself. I've seen a lot of tough cards from desireable sets and have been fortunate to own a few. I just don't see what makes this a five figure card but maybe I'm missing something.

Did you see the estimate? $40k!!

Hopefully someone bidding on the card or planning to will chime in here....
Old 09-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Steve Lucas

Default Earl Smith

<< Are there any recorded #48 Smith survivors (b/w or green) among the parallel sets from Yuengling, Tharp or Sweetman? >>

Hi Bob:

I used to own hundreds of these candy cards, and kept track of what I had for each set. Earl Smith was one of the tougher ones. I lacked Smith from both the Yuengling's and Harrington's sets, but had two examples from the Tharp's assembly. Both were black-and-white.

Hope this helps,
Steve
Old 09-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Banned

Default Harrington

I know who the consignor is and Heritage put the appraisol on the cards. I will add that the cards as a lot were purchased for 65.00 a few years ago. I looked at the cards about a year ago and posted on this site did anyone have information regarding the green card. I find it amusing that the guy bought all the cards for 65 bucks from a college professor. I might add also that the consignor said he spoke to Bob Lemke and that Bob verified the card and said it was a part of the set.

Last edited by Reginald Marsh; 09-11-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Bob Lemke

Default York Ty 2 . . . 1927 or 1928?

In noodling around with this, I note that we list the Type 2 York Caramels as 1927, while SGC lists them as 1928.

Since the set parallels the various ice cream issues and W502 of 1928, should the York date be changed to 1928?

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards