NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Default Are there anymore huge ungraded collections out there

Posted By: Rand

Now that Mr. Nagy & Carter have had their collections graded and sold off, are there any more collectors out there like these gentleman whose cards will be coming to the masses?

Old 04-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Yes, there are still many huge ungraded collections. If I am not mistaken, Mark Macrae, for instance, does not slab his cards and he has the best PCL collection existant, at least to my knowledge. One day all those Obaks, Zeenuts, D310s and D311s, etc. might see the light of day.
tbob

Old 04-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

i'm sure there are...patience is a virtue!
pete in mn

Old 04-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark L

First of all, how big is huge? Secondly, I wonder how many posters here have ungraded collections of, say, 500+ pre-war cards. I imagine quite a few small, medium, and large collections have never made their way to the grading companies.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I would venture to say that large vintage graded collections are in the minority. Especially 19th century cards such as Old Judges. I suspect the 5 largest N172 holdings are nearly 100% ungraded.

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski

Old 04-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

OK-what is everyone's guess as to the ratio of slabbed/unslabbed pre 1957 cards in the hobby. I have to think slabs are far less than 50% of the total but that's kind of a WAG.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

There is an old Amish boy that lives in a crappy old cabin in the hills of Western PA that has hundreds of E145's. Doesn't own a computer, doesn't own a car, doesn't know slabbing exists. But knows more about CJ's than anyone I've ever talked with!!

Old 04-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

there are more out there

Old 04-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Let me assure you, there are many more. These guys above are correct. Many more. I would not be surprised if there were more large collections of ungraded cards than there are large graded collections.

And many of those guy have no idea what a population report is. Bless their hearts.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Kind of on the same topic.

How were the Lionel Carter cards protected? They appear to be in albums, but how did they stay in place?

Could that be considered "altering" if each had some substance on the reverse before grading?

DJ

Old 04-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Many old timers kept card in photo albums using photo corners. Mark Macrae uses archival grade stamp collecting pages. The cards sit loose in the pages. The last time I was at his place, I was looking at his caramel cards and was scared to death making sure I turned the pages so the cards would not slide around in the pages. Viewing the G&Bs was less stressful since they are on sturdier stock and wouldn't damage as easily if a mishap occured. Fortunately, I managed to view everything without incident

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

DJ,

The video showed Carter's t206s were on pages with photo corners holding them down.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

deleted

Old 04-19-2007, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Larrie Dean

I have purchased three significant pre-1935 card collections within the past four years...there were no graded cards in these collections! I am currently attempting to purchase four addition significant (33 to 1350 cards) pre-1935 card collections and there are no graded cards in any of the collections! One of the three I did purchase contained an example of the T206 Doyle card...this card was sold (within two hours) to a dealer/member of this board.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

I have about 6,000 T206 cards, numerous E cards and a Ken Houston, all ungraded.

Oh wait, I'm a little late to perform this shtick.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Although I have many slabs and completely slabbed sets like most of the caramel card sets, M116 etc., I have ungraded complete sets of many others, like T205, 206 (minus Big 4), 207, 1910 and 1911 Obaks, etc. There are a lot of nice ungraded cards floating around out there. I think we may get a skewed vision of how many prewar cards are graded because our communications come to a great extent from posters on this board and many of the posters use SGC, PSA and GAI to have their cards graded.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

Yes.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

An old time collector I once knew didn't have any graded cards. The cards he once showed me included about 1,000 T206's including the Wagner. At that time, about 10 years ago, he wasn't going after the Plank or Magie error or whatever the next most expensive cards were he needed to finish the set, he was trying to find all of the different back combinations for the Southern Leaguers. I have no idea how far along he was at that time or how far he got.

I never saw all of his collection but what I did see was pretty impressive. What was even more impressive was that before I met him, he sold off a lot of his collection and he showed me the full page ad in the SCD where he was standing next to a dealer that no one seems to like and was holding a large check in his hand (instead of 100 dollar bills) totaling over six figures. This was in the early 1990's, so you can imagine what had to be in that sale to get over $100,000.

One of the things I know he said he sold was a complete set of T3's. That was one of his favorite sets and hated to let it go. He said he sold out because he had heard rumors some people were getting ready to try and break into his house and steal some of his collection. Better safe than sorry, he said.

I know this guy is legit because he introduced me to Bill Mastro (when Mastro and Steinbach (SP?) just started their auction business. They were on a first name basis and were asking about each others wives and girlfriends, also by first name.

David

Old 04-19-2007, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian

there is supposed to be an older guy (hermit recluse) who lives in a small town south of Toledo, Ohio who won the super lotto back in the 1980s. ever since then he has been buying up all the quality vintage cards he can lay his hands on. my brother-in-law is an acquaintance of this guy and says that it is the largest collection ever gathered by one person. i think it might possibly be the same weirdo who rented a table and brought all of those expensive cards to our county fairgrounds years ago that i mentioned before in another thread.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Brian,

Sounds like what I would do if I had $100 million or more.

I would buy the guys collection I was talking about in my post above. He has the Wagner and most other T206's except for a couple of the rarities and was working on all the different backs for the Southern Leaguers. Spend my money buying the work he has done then just add on. Like, buying Ted Z's collection of T206's with the complete sets of different backs. How great would it be to have a MASTER set of T206's with all back variations including different factory numbers and overprints?? I am not really a T206 fan but THAT would be an accomplishmnet.

I would also talk to Leon about his type card collection and people like Mark McRae and Larry Fritsch. If I were that rich, I would like to have the ultimate rarities collection.

David

Old 04-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: rand

you know i never thought about how many T206's were out there, in the 1000's, just amazing. thanks for sharing, extremely insightful...i wonder if there are any unopended packs of 33 goudeys still around or other such packs older than the 1940's.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Rand,

I have told this before but the same old time collector I was talking about in my post above spent his time in the 1960's and 1970's putting ads in newspapers and taking his vacations and going around the country looking for and buying cards.

On one such trip he and a buddy he traveled with found like a box and a half of unopened Goudeys. Can't remember if they were 1933's or 1934's. Anyway, after they bought them, he said they sat in the motel room and opened every pack. He said they felt like kids on Christmas morning. They didn't care about the wrappers or boxes and just threw them away.

David

Old 04-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: rand

i think i just tasted my lunch again, and again.