NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-31-2012, 03:24 PM
Matt E.
Banned

Default T205

First, I only collect T205's.

It is only a matter of time before the T205 Gold Borders take off again with increased value! How many times do we hear of see in print the T205 Gold Borders are second only to the T206 in popularity? I guess that statement is made primarily for collectors. It must be true since we hear it time and time again.

I feel over time T206 collectors will grow frustrated not being able to complete the set and will naturally look to the a set they know something about. Maybe some will actually look at the T205’s as investment. Heck, non-collectors may even look at the T205’s as an investment and drive up the price. No body know what tomorrows collector will want.

Those who take a little time to investigate these beauties will discover the enjoyment and profit to be made with these down the road. What a great card for young collectors to learn. The set is easy to learn and master! Now is no time to flip unless you get a steal on Ebay or buying in bulk, if you can find them in bulk.

I don’t see the quality T205’s in large quantities on Ebay or here like I used to. This tells me the cards are either being hoarded / collected / obtained due to the “reasonable” price they command and being sat on. Quite a few closet collectors out there.

Joshua mentioned the several large finds of T205s…These were snapped up quite quickly because they are not on the market that I can tell. Maybe I am wrong.

Realistically, can a full set (not a Master Set) be put together today in midgrade or low grade within a reasonable period of time like one year? I think it would be difficult based on how much you would have to spend. It doesn’t really make sense to pay a healthy dollar amount for the remaining cards that are down in price. I know that makes no sense. The market has dried up somewhat however the prices have not caught up yet.

The cards are tougher to find than some may think. The real problem with the T205’s is once they become so gold border-less they really are unattractive where the very low grade T206 you can still see beauty.

T205's are a polarizing subject just like politics, but the economy will recover and so will T205’s. Ok T206 guys let me have it. T205 collectors get ready to throw your thoughts out there.

Thanks,
Matt E.

Last edited by Matt E.; 10-31-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:33 PM
Zach

I personally think this set is highly underrated. They are gorgeous cards, and I loved them to death. I still do not see why T206 is more popular besides maybe the backs and more variety of cards perhaps?
Old 10-31-2012, 04:30 PM
Mike

Default T205

Good topic, Matt,

I agree with the T205 sentiment and love the (few) cards that I have from my days of collecting Pirates, but having been mostly a T207 collector, I think T205 gets much, much more love... though still nothing near its big brother.

FWIW, seems that when a T207 thread (or B/S/T post) comes up, there are more crickets than replies. No sour grapes, mind you, just observations.

No hijack intended, just drawing parallels.

--
Mike
Old 10-31-2012, 06:15 PM
Tony Ooten

I really like the t205's as well. In fact a t205 Merkle was the second prewar card I bought when I entered prewar collecting 3 years ago. Followed closely by a t205 Matty and filled out the Giants team after reading The Celebrant.

Then I completed the hall of famers subset (no variations)...

I do think they are beautiful, especially fond of the NL cards. Even though I'm a set collector at heart, I believe I haven't really considered working on the set because I have to have some "action" shots mixed in. All those portraits, for me may get a little tiresome. Maybe some day though - when I finish the 33 goudeys, t205 may be next!

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t205.jpg (77.7 KB, 170 views)
Old 10-31-2012, 06:15 PM

Default Say hi to turner bobcat for me!!

Bill latzko
Old 10-31-2012, 06:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I agree Matt. My first "big" card I bought in the hobby was a PSA 7 T205 Johnson.....from the guy I introduced myself to for the first 7 yrs I knew him, my auction partner Scott B. Since that time I have always thought T205 is one of, if not the, most beautiful pre-war sets there is. If I had to collect only one set it might very well be T205. (I will spare you guys the scans, .....you are welcome)