NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Richard Simon

Default This sums it up about Jeter and 3000

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/14/sp...dise.html?_r=1
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 07-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Chris Wood

Default Wow

Thanks for posting. Makes me ill thinking about the reported student loan debt that the HR-catcher has to cover. I realize that at 23, he is a grown man and that it was his choice, but i hope he has no regrets.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Watch your money-go-round; watch your money-go-round
They got it wrapped up tight, they got it safe and sound
Watch your money-go-round; watch your money-go-round
As you fall from grace and hit the ground

Too much money in too few places
Only puts a smile on particular faces
Said too much power in not enough hands
Makes me think "get rich quick; take all I can"

--Paul Weller

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-14-2011, 10:52 AM
Joe Jesselli

Now I understand why The Captain snubbed the All Star Game. He's exhausted from counting his money.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:10 AM

Is this a great country, or what?
Old 07-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Is this a great country, or what?
Mr. Steiner certainly thinks so.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 07-14-2011, 12:18 PM

My 30-something dentist said he had a $750,000 student load debt when he graduated. But, don't worry, last time I saw him he had it down to $500,000.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Scott

Jeter signed 1000 items in 90 minutes? Man, he's a fast puppy...
Old 07-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

Foolish people worship the wrong things.

There is only one person that truly should be worshipped, and he will be back sometime to prove it.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Christopher Williams

That does "Sum it all up."
Old 07-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post

There is only one person that truly should be worshipped, and he will be back sometime to prove it.
Damn straight. ELVIS, Where are you!
Old 07-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
Damn straight. ELVIS, Where are you!
naw; Andy Kaufman.

Or not...
Old 07-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Eric

Quote:

Bruce Dorskind
Old 07-14-2011, 04:48 PM

He said one person.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
He said one person.

touche

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-14-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:56 PM

What a "classy" guy. Must be hard to be so ascetic.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Jon Canfield

Even worse...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sct=mlb_t2_a14
Old 07-15-2011, 12:00 PM

Default Grab on to that fast moving money train...

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
Boy, the room is starting to get crowded. How can I make money on DJ3k? Everybody start lining up!!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Paul

This thread really surprises me.

First of all, doesn't anyone see this as the social phenomenon that it is? The people are starved for an athlete that they can support who has not and is unlikely to let them down because of off-field behavior.

Second, this is a memorabilia board. To see people on a memorabilia board -- including someone who actually charges money to authenticate autographs (http://richardsimonsports.com/authentication.htm) -- chiding the collecting public and those who rise to the excessive demand in the market, is ironic to say the least.

Since when has monetizing baseball memorabilia been equated with the Devil, or being un-American?

Pathetic.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 07-15-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
This thread really surprises me.

First of all, doesn't anyone see this as the social phenomenon that it is? The people are starved for an athlete that they can support who has not and is unlikely to let them down because of off-field behavior.

Second, this is a memorabilia board. To see people on a memorabilia board -- including someone who actually charges money to authenticate autographs (http://richardsimonsports.com/authentication.htm) -- chiding the collecting public and those who rise to the excessive demand in the market, is ironic to say the least.

Since when has monetizing baseball memorabilia been equated with the Devil, or being un-American?

Pathetic.

Not to pick a fight with anybody else, but thank you.

Seems Jeter's only crimes in all of this was getting his 3000th hit out of the field of play, making more money then most of us (as if that's relevant), and not studying the auction memorabilia market before having the nuts to hit a ball to a guy with a big heart and a student loan.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
Sheesh... couldn't Price at least "play hard to get"?

I wonder if Branca was signing balls "I gave up The Shot" less than a week later?

Old 07-15-2011, 06:24 PM

That's simply Steiner's thing. He waits for something grand to occur and then he makes a deal. How many people purchased signatures of that Big Brown jockey with anticipation of getting the Triple crown? He was charging like $99 then and now, you can't get $5 for them.

TMZ just did video where Jeter was going to his helicopter and there was one guy with a baseball waiting for him and he asked Jeter to sign the ball and Jeter walked right by him.

I have met Jeter twice and he blew me off as well.

And Coach's Corner consignors and these eBayers have no issues getting quantities of Jeter, bypassing the Steiner brand? How do they do it, truthisoutthere, how? :-)

DanC
Old 07-15-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Seems Jeter's only crimes in all of this was getting his 3000th hit out of the field of play, making more money then most of us (as if that's relevant), and not studying the auction memorabilia market before having the nuts to hit a ball to a guy with a big heart and a student loan.
That's right. If poor, ignorant Derek had only known the ball was valuable he'd a done right by the fan.
After making numerous multimillion dollar deals with Steiner, selling crap memorabilia, how was he to know that the actual artifact of his 3k hit was worth a few bucks.

Gimme a break.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Dean

Quote:

I'm new here, but I'm sure I saw a rule about no "fairytale nonsense" sort of posts. Or politics.

my eBay auctions
Old 07-15-2011, 07:10 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post

I wonder if Branca was signing balls "I gave up The Shot" less than a week later?

Uh... How much money over his career do you think Branca made off of that? Do you begrudge him a single penny?

@SignedT206
Old 07-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Paul

Quote:
That's right. If poor, ignorant Derek had only known the ball was valuable he'd a done right by the fan.
After making numerous multimillion dollar deals with Steiner, selling crap memorabilia, how was he to know that the actual artifact of his 3k hit was worth a few bucks.

Gimme a break.
Why do you call it crap memorabilia?

@SignedT206
Old 07-15-2011, 07:11 PM

Jeter is a wealthy man. He does not need to be peddling over-priced Steiner crap. It is crap because all of Steiner's memorabilia is grossly over-priced and the man will do anything for a dollar. Just because people in the hobby will pay for some of the items he peddles, doesn't mean he should be producing them. Everyone has ethics. I cannot imagine dealing with him. Every year I go to Spring Training and I listen to Jeter and other stars on the Yankees talk about how much they can't stand the dealers, who are "dirtbags" desperate for autographs so they can sell them. Ten minutes later Jeter's in the clubhouse signing baseballs for Steiner. But that's different because HE gets paid.

If this was truly a special moment for Jeter and the culmination of his career, why was his first priority to sign baseballs for Steiner? If Jeter was a nice guy, he wouldn't have a deal with Steiner to begin with. And he wouldn't be taking baseballs from the hands of children and signing the side panel because he "can't" sign the sweetspot. A classy guy would have told the man who caught the ball to keep it like Roger Maris did.

Last edited by packs; 07-15-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Paul

My view is that there is $X available in the market for Jeter stuff. I do not think Jeter should apologize for taking a major percentage of that. If people want to pay $50 for a DJ3K Hat, like I did at the game last Saturday, that's their prerogative. Steiner is a mechanism for making sure athletes get the biggest share of the market value of their items. When Jeter signs for free -- and in my life, he has done that for me about a half dozen times at Yankee Stadium and spring training -- he gets nothing for it. That is called leakage.

What you are essentially saying is that you want free things, and that the truly rich should accept more leakage. It is that component of this argument that I find extremely hypocritical, particularly among a group of people on a baseball memorabilia board.

By the way, paid $250 for a Jeter 3000 ticket stub today on eBay (t-206collector). It has his image, unlike my two which have Arod. The person who profited was a ticket speculator. Jeter got nada from that sale. Just something to think about.

@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 07-15-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:00 PM

Jeter gets to play baseball for a living. He is only able to do that because people will come out to the games. So yes, I do expect that a player can write his name for me in exchange for the millions of dollars he gets, which he will receive whether or not he is even playing (see Albert Belle). And I do feel as though I am entitled to free autographs. Do you disagree? Steiner is charging $599 for a Derek Jeter autographed baseball. My question is: why? And how can you justify this pricetag to a child? I don't think you can explain "leakage" to a 10 year old.

I'm having trouble following your argument. You think Derek should profit from eBay sales too? And every signature he ever signs? Why? And how exactly does a player get nothing for signing an autograph? Lifelong admiration, a job playing big league baseball, the support of an entire city; maybe players should pay to play. What am I getting out of the deal?

Last edited by packs; 07-15-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Jeter gets to play baseball for a living. He is only able to do that because people will come out to the games. So yes, I do expect that a player can write his name for me in exchange for the millions of dollars he gets, which he will receive whether or not he is even playing (see Albert Belle). And I do feel as though I am entitled to free autographs. Do you disagree? Steiner is charging $599 for a Derek Jeter autographed baseball. My question is: why? And how can you justify this pricetag to a child? I don't think you can explain "leakage" to a 10 year old.

I'm having trouble following your argument. You think Derek should profit from eBay sales too? the man has 3000 major league hits. This sense of entitlement is a major issue in this country.
Steiner is charging what the market will bear for a signed ball. What other industry requires you to dilute your brand by giving away freebies? The only sense of entitlement I see is yours.

Do you think Jeter can walk down the street in Manhattan without being stopped a zillion times per block? How many people should he stop for? Only the ones who are quick enough to video him at the time?

I explain the business of baseball to my six year old. I show him my T206 signed Walter Johnson, and my Jeter stuff. It's all cool to him. He will not grow up thinking he is entitled to free stuff from those better off than him.

@SignedT206
Old 07-15-2011, 08:19 PM

I edited my initial post. It is not an issue of getting something free from a person better off than me. It is an issue of mutual respect and appreciation. There are always going to be dealers and there will always be collectors. As a collector, I don't see getting an autograph from a player as expecting something for nothing from a rich person.

Last edited by packs; 07-15-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I edited my initial post. It is not an issue of getting something free from a person better off than me. It is an issue of mutual respect and appreciation. There are always going to be dealers and there will always be collectors. As a collector, I don't see getting an autograph from a player as expecting something for nothing from a rich person.
Have you ever paid for an autograph?

@SignedT206
Old 07-15-2011, 08:30 PM

We are talking about different things. I will agree to disagree.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post

FUNNY!!
Old 07-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Jeff

Leakage? I hope most of these guys have not gotten so jaded or insular that they regard each gratis autograph they give to be potential lost revenue.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 07-15-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
My view is that there is $X available in the market for Jeter stuff. I do not think Jeter should apologize for taking a major percentage of that. If people want to pay $50 for a DJ3K Hat, like I did at the game last Saturday, that's their prerogative. Steiner is a mechanism for making sure athletes get the biggest share of the market value of their items. When Jeter signs for free -- and in my life, he has done that for me about a half dozen times at Yankee Stadium and spring training -- he gets nothing for it. That is called leakage.

What you are essentially saying is that you want free things, and that the truly rich should accept more leakage. It is that component of this argument that I find extremely hypocritical, particularly among a group of people on a baseball memorabilia board.

By the way, paid $250 for a Jeter 3000 ticket stub today on eBay (t-206collector). It has his image, unlike my two which have Arod. The person who profited was a ticket speculator. Jeter got nada from that sale. Just something to think about.
Leakage!? Are you nuts?

Amazing. Every single Babe Ruth-signed ball, photo, scrap of paper, etc.--and there are hundreds of thousands of 'em--every damn one, is leakage. The man did nothing but leak.

If $20 million/year + endorsements aren't enough for a guy to sign every damn autograph he's stopped for in the street, than f%#k him.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:46 PM

One more thing. Better think a bit before spending big bucks on the 3k game stub. You better believe if demand is great enough the Yankees will reprint them.

And yeah, a cap commemorating the big hit is, indeed, "crap memorabilia."
Old 07-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:

... a cap commemorating the big hit is, indeed, "crap memorabilia."
I bet some people are buying this stuff thinking that it's a good investment.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Paul

Quote:
One more thing. Better think a bit before spending big bucks on the 3k game stub. You better believe if demand is great enough the Yankees will reprint them.

And yeah, a cap commemorating the big hit is, indeed, "crap memorabilia."
What do you collect? And who do you think you are to judge my awesome collection of DJ3K memorabilia?

Hey, everyone, this guy thinks he has the right to call what people collect "crap." Real nice guy, this one.

@SignedT206
Old 07-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Leakage? I hope most of these guys have not gotten so jaded or insular that they regard each gratis autograph they give to be potential lost revenue.
Of course they haven't. But when dealers send kids into line to get free autographs that they can sell, that would be part of the issue.

@SignedT206
Old 07-15-2011, 10:21 PM

There isn't a thing Steiner sells that ain't crap. And if, by saying that, I've offended your sense of "collecting tolerance," so be it.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
I bet some people are buying this stuff thinking that it's a good investment.
So what if they are? Are they idiots for collecting modern stuff, any more than we're idiots for collecting stuff of deadballers? Who knows what will sell in the future? And just keep in mind, that the guy who sold me his ticket, bought it for $100 two days ago, before they started going crazy on eBay. Now the kind of ticket I bought for $250 this morning is up over $300 tonight. That's a pretty good investment, if only in the short term.

You guys spend so much time talking about whether kids today are going to be tomorrow's collectors. DJ3K is the kind of modern event that grows the spirit of all of our collections. Don't ignore that because the marketing is better today, or because Jeter is a once in a lifetime, Mickey Mantle-esque sports icon.

If you really think the modern ballplayer has to stop and sign every piece of paper that is shoved in front of him on the street, or in a restaurant while he is eating with his family, then you understand little about the perils of modern celebrity.

@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 07-15-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Hey, everyone, this guy thinks he has the right to call what people collect "crap." Real nice guy, this one.
There isn't a thing Steiner sells that ain't crap. And if, by saying that, I've offended your sense of "collecting tolerance," so be it.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Paul

Quote:
You haven't offended me at all. I've never bought a single Steiner thing in my life, which might explain why I didn't get one of those funny Steiner emails so many of you are complaining about.

I just want everyone at home reading this post to understand that you think it is appropriate to call my decision to purchase a DJ3K hat at Yankee Stadium just moments after he hit that home run "crap."

I'm still waiting to hear what kind of uber-investment, non-crap you collect.

@SignedT206
Old 07-15-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
If you really think the modern ballplayer has to stop and sign every piece of paper that is shoved in front of him on the street, or in a restaurant while he is eating with his family, then you understand little about the perils of modern celebrity.
Oooh... the perils of modern celebrity. Actually having to give something back to the people who make your absurd lifestyle possible.

Poor, poor, Derek. He can't walk down a street without being asked for an autograph. It's so much easier to sit down at the Stadium, sign some photos and balls for an hour, and collect the check from Steiner.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Paul

Quote:
Oooh... the perils of modern celebrity. Actually having to give something back to the people who make your absurd lifestyle possible.

Poor, poor, Derek. He can't walk down a street without being asked for an autograph. It's so much easier to sit down at the Stadium, sign some photos and balls for an hour, and collect the check from Steiner.
Can you name a single baseball player who gives more back to the community than Derek Jeter? The closest I am aware of is Cal Ripken, but he's retired now.

Signing for Steiner is only a portion of his business model. Signing for fans for free is customary for him. The "absurd lifestyle" is not without it's drawbacks. You understand that, right? You may choose to look down upon celebrities, and assume they have it easier than you, but I accept the fact that they are human beings who get stalked and threatened kind of all the time.

@SignedT206
Old 07-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Paul

Before Steiner, athletes saw all of their signed items turning up for sale in hobby stores and eBay. Dealers and other businesses made huge dollars and the athletes got zilch. You may think their salaries make it so they shouldn't care about that, but that's pretty naive. If Hans Lobert could've monetized his signature before becoming basically bankrupt at the end of his life, don't you think that would have been nice? Are we drawing the line at Jeter because he's a millionaire many times over? What about Ramiro Pena? Is it okay for him to make a little extra money on his signature because his cup of coffee may be over at any minute?

Isn't it ridiculous to think Vincent Van Gogh died penniless, but now his paintings are priceless?

Jeter deserves every cent he can get, and if you want to demonize him for taking a dollar away from the small-time dealer, or turning down the occasional autograph, so be it.

@SignedT206
Old 07-15-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
I just want everyone at home reading this post to understand that you think it is appropriate to call my decision to purchase a DJ3K hat at Yankee Stadium just moments after he hit that home run "crap."

I'm still waiting to hear what kind of uber-investment, non-crap you collect.
You completely misunderstand. I didn't call your decision to buy that cap "crap"; it's the cap itself that is garbage. As are all manufactured in the millions and put away by everyone that buys them "collectibles."

I've posted many pictures of items in my collection. If you're really interested, you'll have no trouble finding them.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:54 PM

nevermind

Last edited by packs; 07-15-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:55 PM

Jeter deserves every cent he can get? Really? Why?