NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-11-2015, 04:27 AM

Nice additions to your Bucco collection, Mike!
Old 08-11-2015, 06:34 AM
Mikeknapp

Thanks Scott!

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 08-11-2015, 08:29 AM

I agree with Mark that Cano is not a certain Hall of Famer.
The great thing about evaluating modern players is that you don't just need statistics -- you also have the eye test. There are some players who without checking their stats are clear cut HOFers -- Jeter, Rivera, Pujols, Trout.
You watch them and you turn to your son and say -- that's a Hall of Famer. There are even some second tier HOFers who you probably thought that way about -- Jim Rice for example.
Living in New York and following Cano day in and day out, I don't think most people felt he was necessarily an all time great ( I think a lot of people felt he could have been, given the raw talent that was obviously there). He also was more often than not, disappointing when it counted -- in the post season.
All that said, his numbers are pretty impressive for a second baseman, he is an above average fielder and has maybe the best arm of any second baseman I've ever seen.
My guess is that he makes the Hall.

Greg
Old 08-11-2015, 09:02 AM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
I agree with Mark that Cano is not a certain Hall of Famer.
The great thing about evaluating modern players is that you don't just need statistics -- you also have the eye test. There are some players who without checking their stats are clear cut HOFers -- Jeter, Rivera, Pujols, Trout.
You watch them and you turn to your son and say -- that's a Hall of Famer. There are even some second tier HOFers who you probably thought that way about -- Jim Rice for example.
Living in New York and following Cano day in and day out, I don't think most people felt he was necessarily an all time great ( I think a lot of people felt he could have been, given the raw talent that was obviously there). He also was more often than not, disappointing when it counted -- in the post season.
All that said, his numbers are pretty impressive for a second baseman, he is an above average fielder and has maybe the best arm of any second baseman I've ever seen.
My guess is that he makes the Hall.

Greg
Calling trout a hall of famer after 3 years. Lol

Last edited by yanks12025; 08-11-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:15 AM
Belltown Vintage

Yeah, add Mattingly and Greenwell - clear-cut hof'ers at one point. Also Sam McDowell and Ron Guidry. Trout could just as easily end up flopping around on the bank like those guys.

Jeter and Riviera are clear-cut hof'ers - that was a tough call.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:50 AM

You're right Scott, should have added a half-sentence saying as long he stays healthy when referring to Trout.
I was trying to make the point that to be a Hall of Famer, you don't just need a certain set of numbers, you also should have been thought of as one when you played, not just after a breakdown of your final stats (Don Sutton is often argued about in those terms).

While they were both very good for a time, I never for one moment thought I was watching a Hall of Famer when watching Greenwell play or McDowell pitch -- can't imagine many other people did either.
Mattingly and Guidry are good examples of players who passed the eye test, but didn't have the longevity.

Greg
Old 08-11-2015, 11:01 AM
Belltown Vintage

I wouln't have mentioned them if they didn't pass my eye test.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:05 AM
Belltown Vintage

Sutton did not, nor did Phil Niekro, but we've argued hof-worthiness about as far as possible. No 2 people here will agree on that, nor, I suspect on their 'eye test' candidates. I also thought Frank Howard would make the hall, but he petered out like the aforementioned.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:16 AM

Good points all, Scott.
I can't imagine standing on the mound having to throw a pitch to Frank Howard.

Greg
Old 08-11-2015, 11:40 AM
Belltown Vintage

Greg, I was very fixated on baseball and baseball statistics during my primary 'card collecting' years (1965-69). There were some guys whose cards were 1st tier who did not make the HOF, and others who were 2nd tier who are now in the HOF. I understand how the HOF is a huge deal to the players, but to me it's basically meaningless, as it doesn't truly represent greatness in my opinion, and it certainly doesn't represent the players who were dominant during my childhood (and it should not), simply because many of them fizzled out, or like Maris, Dean Chance and Denny McClain, were great in our minds because of one huge year (I must have pulled a '65 Chance in one of my first packs).

Regarding cards and stats - those stats really helped keep us up-to-date with ALL the baseball teams. When you saw a name in the box-scores that you didn't have a card for, you tried to find the stats you were lacking - baseball magazines were plentiful, and the 'Beaumont Enterprise' had a Sunday baseball stats page that had hitting and pitching stats for every player in the major leagues who had a certain number of at bats (or innings pitched), down to a particular level of mediocrity, depending on how much room there was on the page. Nowadays I see guys on the leaderboards who I don't recognize, and it's kind of a shame.

Last edited by Runscott; 08-11-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Nice Cano bat Scott. How many do you have now? It’s been a while since I have added anything to my 1971 Bucs collection so I was pleased to pick these two items up. The first is a bullion and silk Championship patch given to the members of the team. These were sewn on the team issued travel blazers for the 1972 season. This one came in its original packaging. It is only the second such individual patch I have encountered. I don’t own the jacket it is only for pictured reference. The second item is an original Malcolm Emmons slide. The image was used for the October 10, 1970 issue of the Sporting News.
Thanks Mike. Love that patch - congratulations on that pick-up.

I have three and will avoid doing 'Cano' searches in future auctions;otherwise, I will soon have four, as they are affordable. I only caught this last one because of the 'auction ending soon' email Goldin sent out.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:11 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

If forced to bet, I'd say Cano gets in. But he definitely needs to do more in the next few years, including a successful playoff appearance or two. Seems like a "pipe dream" for anyone who follows the M's, but I don't think his HOF induction is a given, otherwise. Clutch hitting has not exactly been his "thing" since coming to the NW. Lots of weak groundouts to second with men in scoring position...

Two former Mets come to mind, who've not yet been mentioned in this discussion... Gooden and Strawberry were both looking like surefire HOFers early-mid career. When it comes to health, physical stamina, mental make-up and other intangibles, you just never know for certain.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
If forced to bet, I'd say Cano gets in. But he definitely needs to do more in the next few years, including a successful playoff appearance or two. Seems like a "pipe dream" for anyone who follows the M's, but I don't think his HOF induction is a given, otherwise. Clutch hitting has not exactly been his "thing" since coming to the NW. Lots of weak groundouts to second with men in scoring position...

Two former Mets come to mind, who've not yet been mentioned in this discussion... Gooden and Strawberry were both looking like surefire HOFers early-mid career. When it comes to health, physical stamina, mental make-up and other intangibles, you just never know for certain.
Mark,
Good observations...
Rampant drug use and alcoholism never help a person's chances of making it into the HOF. Both Gooden and Strawberry got sucked into the NY fast lane and never achieved their massive potential, IMHO.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 08-11-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Greg, I was very fixated on baseball and baseball statistics during my primary 'card collecting' years (1965-69). There were some guys whose cards were 1st tier who did not make the HOF, and others who were 2nd tier who are now in the HOF. I understand how the HOF is a huge deal to the players, but to me it's basically meaningless, as it doesn't truly represent greatness in my opinion, and it certainly doesn't represent the players who were dominant during my childhood (and it should not), simply because many of them fizzled out, or like Maris, Dean Chance and Denny McClain, were great in our minds because of one huge year (I must have pulled a '65 Chance in one of my first packs).

Regarding cards and stats - those stats really helped keep us up-to-date with ALL the baseball teams. When you saw a name in the box-scores that you didn't have a card for, you tried to find the stats you were lacking - baseball magazines were plentiful, and the 'Beaumont Enterprise' had a Sunday baseball stats page that had hitting and pitching stats for every player in the major leagues who had a certain number of at bats (or innings pitched), down to a particular level of mediocrity, depending on how much room there was on the page. Nowadays I see guys on the leaderboards who I don't recognize, and it's kind of a shame.

It sounds like our childhoods were remarkably similar, just off by a few years --my card collecting peak was 1968-1975. I remember anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new baseball magazines each spring -- every year in the late 60s there would be a cover featuring the $100,000 Club with the handful of stars who were paid six figures.
And I too don't know many of today's names -- my son is always making fun of me for that.

Mark -- good point on those Mets. I'd add Keith Hernandez, who fell off a cliff at the end of his career and whose trangsgressions have kept him from serious consideration. Still he is probably the greatest defensive first baseman of all time, a heck of a hitter (although not a power hitter, which is what most people seem to want in a first baseman), and an MVP.

Greg
Old 08-11-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
It sounds like our childhoods were remarkably similar, just off by a few years --my card collecting peak was 1968-1975. I remember anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new baseball magazines each spring -- every year in the late 60s there would be a cover featuring the $100,000 Club with the handful of stars who were paid six figures.
And I too don't know many of today's names -- my son is always making fun of me for that.

Mark -- good point on those Mets. I'd add Keith Hernandez, who fell off a cliff at the end of his career and whose trangsgressions have kept him from serious consideration. Still he is probably the greatest defensive first baseman of all time, a heck of a hitter (although not a power hitter, which is what most people seem to want in a first baseman), and an MVP.

Greg
Yeah, those NY Mets could PARTY like it was 1999!
Old 08-11-2015, 05:06 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
If the M's had signed Cruz prior to last season, things could have been very different, but the starters were worn out, so not sure they could have done much in the playoffs. The young prospects did not pan out last year (overall), other than the bullpen.

This year the prospects are also a bust, but Montero and Gutierrez are big surprises, as was Montgomery early on, and at least they finally got rid of Smoak, Ackley and Saunders (I liked all of them, but how long can you wait?). Poor performances out of Zunino, Cano, Elias and the bullpen (Rodney mainly) have killed them this year, plus Paxton and Iwakuma back on the DL, slow start by Walker. I don't think they are far off from making a run this year, but they need a bullpen and they have to dump the sub-.230 hitters and bench Rodney.

Yes, forgot about Strawberry and Gooden - definitely seemed like 'no miss' guys.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:10 PM
Jamie

Being a HUGE M.Schmidt fan, I can't believe I won this....

http://goldinauctions.com/1980_Mike_...-LOT16723.aspx
Old 08-11-2015, 09:52 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan24 View Post
Being a HUGE M.Schmidt fan, I can't believe I won this....

http://goldinauctions.com/1980_Mike_...-LOT16723.aspx
Good for you!

Mike and I both went to OU

To an earlier comment : Jeff Kent was a total redass, but not a defensive "butcher", at least with the Giants.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:24 PM
Kenny

Picked up this Zach Wheat page from a Spaulding guide. It is the image used on his T206 and T213 cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan_20150813.jpg (80.3 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3108.jpg (31.7 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3109.jpg (29.9 KB, 302 views)
Old 08-13-2015, 06:50 PM
Ron V

Just picked up this early 90's Rickey Henderson GU bat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150813_172117_resized.jpg (18.3 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg 20150813_172109_resized.jpg (17.7 KB, 280 views)
Old 08-13-2015, 10:38 PM
Mikeknapp

Default Way off Topic but what the heck

Today I picked up a mint condition English Bull Terrier. This one has long been on my want list I'm thinking of naming him Murtaugh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11857696_10206433926462992_1200607889_n.jpg (73.3 KB, 395 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

Last edited by 71buc; 08-13-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Today I picked up a mint condition English Bull Terrier. This one has long been on my want list I'm thinking of naming him Murtaugh.
Cute!! Nice pickup.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:59 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Name him Willie...after Stargell, or maybe Moose, after Bob.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Name him Willie...after Stargell, or maybe Moose, after Bob.
+1 Perfect!
Old 08-14-2015, 03:39 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Spuds! One of my favorite dog types. Love it!

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 08-14-2015, 04:38 PM
Clint

Mike, awesome patch. You know you kill me every time you post a pickup me being an Orioles fan😄.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:53 PM
Mikeknapp

Scott Randall and Clint thanks for the comments. The Bucs are poised to break my heart again. The pup will have a serious impact on my ability to post many pickups in the near future.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:01 AM
Rob

Quote:
Scott Randall and Clint thanks for the comments. The Bucs are poised to break my heart again.
I think if your Bucs and the cubs are the WCs, the Buccos advance, easily. You won't have to see Bumgarner.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:18 PM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

Technically from last month, but a couple new pieces for my Federal League collection:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BaltFeds Envelope.jpg (48.7 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg BaltFeds Postcard (Front).jpg (14.8 KB, 198 views)
Old 08-15-2015, 02:20 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Neat 19th century photo (I believe) of Iron Mountain, MI band and baseball team. I believe we are looking at a bunch of iron miners at leisure. Can anyone help me date this based on equipment/instruments?

- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 08-15-2015, 02:51 PM
Joe

Joe, nice photo. Based on the wired mask with small pads, and Webless glove with some padding, I would say 1890 on the photo - give or take a couple years.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:12 AM
Ron V

Picked this Jim Gilliam GU M117 bat from the flea market this morning. The bat measures about 34.5 inches. Has some bat rack marks and a good amount of ball marks. Does anybody know if Jim used a M117 model?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150816_084816_resized.jpg (75.0 KB, 528 views)
File Type: jpg 20150816_084821_resized.jpg (74.2 KB, 529 views)
File Type: jpg 20150816_084849_resized.jpg (76.5 KB, 533 views)
File Type: jpg 20150816_084828_resized.jpg (70.9 KB, 530 views)
Old 08-16-2015, 07:17 AM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastonfalcon19 View Post
Picked this Jim Gilliam GU M117 bat from the flea market this morning. The bat measures about 34.5 inches. Has some bat rack marks and a good amount of ball marks. Does anybody know if Jim used a M117 model?

What type of flea markets do you go to that they have game used bats every weekend. The only game used bat I've ever found at a flea market is a Jeff baker.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:19 AM

Hi Ron,

Terrific flea market find!
Here's a previous post from Mike Specht, who has the bat records:

"M117 batsare among the earliest Gilliam bats shipped. They are fiund only in 1951 (35" / 32 oz.(first signature model) , 1952 (34.5" / 33 oz and 35"/ 32 oz). and 1953 (34.5" / 32 oz);

Gilliam's first ML game was 4/14/53, so any 35 inch M117 would be a Minor League bat (pre-rookie), and a 34.5 inch M117 could be from his last order in 1952 or his first order in 1953....

Interestingly, Gilliam never ordered that model again after early 1953."

If you can post a better photo of the center label, we can try to see if that bat was made in the 1951-53 period.

Greg
Old 08-16-2015, 07:30 AM
Ron V

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
What type of flea markets do you go to that they have game used bats every weekend. The only game used bat I've ever found at a flea market is a Jeff baker.
Brock, lol it's a lot of luck. Trust me there is more junk than anything but I manage to find some good bats here and there.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:50 PM
Ron V

Quote:
Hi Ron,

Terrific flea market find!
Here's a previous post from Mike Specht, who has the bat records:

"M117 batsare among the earliest Gilliam bats shipped. They are fiund only in 1951 (35" / 32 oz.(first signature model) , 1952 (34.5" / 33 oz and 35"/ 32 oz). and 1953 (34.5" / 32 oz);

Gilliam's first ML game was 4/14/53, so any 35 inch M117 would be a Minor League bat (pre-rookie), and a 34.5 inch M117 could be from his last order in 1952 or his first order in 1953....

Interestingly, Gilliam never ordered that model again after early 1953."

If you can post a better photo of the center label, we can try to see if that bat was made in the 1951-53 period.

Greg
Thanks Greg. Here is the picture of the center label. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg downloadfile-12.jpg (8.0 KB, 499 views)
File Type: jpg downloadfile-15.jpg (8.4 KB, 500 views)
Old 08-16-2015, 08:14 PM
Ron V

Got this in last week, I forgot to post it. I was looking to possibly get it restored. Has anybody ever had a picture like this restored? Any recommendations on companies that restore? I appreciate any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150814_220746.jpg (14.7 KB, 462 views)

Last edited by eastonfalcon19; 08-16-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:19 AM

Hi Ron,

There are some very subtle flaws in the oval line itself of 1950s bats at 10 and 2 o'clock that can help determine specific years of 1950s bats, along with a couple of other things in the center oval. They are outlined in Vince Malta's LS reference book -- I just can't make them out in your photos.

Also, I think Vince and Mike Specht both explain that the more square the G in the word in Genuine on the barrel, the earlier in the 50s the bat was made. Your G is fairly round, more consistent with a later 50s bat.
These are such small nuances though, that it makes it hard to tell without examining the bat in person, and even then, it's still tough.

Greg
Old 08-17-2015, 12:01 PM
Matt

Like Greg said- that genuine appears to be late 50's. Nice bat tho
matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 08-17-2015, 03:58 PM
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastonfalcon19 View Post
Got this in last week, I forgot to post it. I was looking to possibly get it restored. Has anybody ever had a picture like this restored? Any recommendations on companies that restore? I appreciate any help.
One like this or maybe the same sold at auction last week for $300 with a Mickey c one for $255
Old 08-18-2015, 07:33 PM

I've been working on my pinback collection lately.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.jpg (66.8 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg blass.jpg (50.9 KB, 350 views)
Old 08-18-2015, 07:40 PM
Joe

Love the Jennings pin, Greg. I am a fan of anything Hughie.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:49 PM
Banned

Old 08-18-2015, 09:33 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Love that Robinson photo with the kids - thought of going after it - glad it went to a good home.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Love that Robinson photo with the kids - thought of going after it - glad it went to a good home.
Thanks paul! I was gonna let it go but decided to put in one last bid and got lucky. Its a great photo and one ive never seen before. Its crazy at that time with all the racism going on that this photo exists.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:47 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Nice pick ups Joey

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 08-18-2015, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Nice pick ups Joey
Thanks alot mark
Old 08-19-2015, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
Love the Jennings pin, Greg. I am a fan of anything Hughie.
+1 Me too, Greg. Cool pinback!
Old 08-19-2015, 06:11 AM
Mikeknapp

Absolutely love the Jennings pin but those Blass pins are awesome...I suppose you could say I'm more than a bit biased.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:29 AM

Thanks guys -- what I love about pinbacks are that they look great and don't take up much room! I've got a few more on my list I'm trying to hunt down right now.

Mike -- I have an extra of the Blass portrait pin -- shoot me a PM with your address and I will send it to you.

Greg