NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Default McAvoy Sport Cards???

Posted By: Al

I have been a long time lurcker. I don't want to take up too much of your time. I saw an article on a news site that mentioned McAvoy sport cards. I've spent a decent amount of time looking at their site and they have a lot of cards. Most of them are raw however. Anyone care to comment on them? Are they reputable, fair with their grading, and reasonably priced? NOTE: I know they are dealers so they have dealer prices, but you get the picture.

Oh and everyone needs to just sit back and laugh on this board

Old 11-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Griffins

Bill is a good guy and as honest as the day is long. I would think he's got a fair return policy too. Within 10 seconds of talking with him I think any reservations you may have would be quickly erased.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

Edited: I don't know geography.
McAvoy is honest and legit. Truely one of the good guys, in a hobby which needs people like him. I've bought raw from him before, never had a problem. And if I did, I'm sure he would be quick to resolve it.

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 11-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Griffins

Guess I haven't read all the election returns yet, is Los Angeles now part of Canada? I thought we were headed south, not north.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Is LA part of Canada?

Supposedly, there are 500,000 residents of LA who are from Canada.

This demographic was one factor leading to the forming of the LA Kings in 1967. When attendance subsequently floundered, someone brought up this stat. The response was: why do you think they all moved here?--they hate hockey!

Max

Old 11-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

Is LA part of Canada?

I'm not sure about that, but La Canada IS part of Los Angeles

Steve

Old 11-10-2006, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

from them because they mostly have 1950's and 1960's cards and their prices are at least 150-200% of what would be considered 'book'.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed McCollum

Dr. MacAvoy's selection went back to Goodwins, etc. Don't know why he changed his stock several years ago, but long before eBay, I got most of my low grade t206s from him at shows in Omaha and Lincoln. Extremely friendly, used to set up his private sales at a local hotel, supply pop for the kids, you could sit and talk hours about cards and the game. Honest, friendly guy, wish he still sold the older stuff and that I could afford it at today' prices.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

He got out of that area of the hobby for personal reasons in the late 1990's. From my understanding, he did not want to "support" tobacco products due to some very understandable circumstances. His inventory is awesome and he often has some very interesting stuff that lies somewhere in the "memorabilia" area of the hobby. He has an extensive number of Diamond Stars, Goudey's, Play Ball's and other 30's & 40's issues. He does have some graded cards but he is not a supporter of the grading companies. He is as reputable and respectable as anyone in the hobby. The fact that they do 7 figures a year should speak to that. I have never communicated with him directly, but from what I understand he's a true fan of the game and hobby, a very nice man, and his daughter Amy and wife Jane appear to be really nice people.

As for his prices, they appear inline with what one would expect out of a dealer. However, I think the 150%-300% might be a bit extreme. I'm sure that happens with some of his inventory, but he is very tough on his "grading" and he's always willing to talk about an item if you are interested in it.

M

Old 11-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

He got out of that area of the hobby for personal reasons in the late 1990's. From my understanding, he did not want to "support" tobacco products due to some very understandable circumstances.>

When I first started collecting vintage cards in the 80's, I quit smoking and used to keep a glass jar in which each day I would drop in the cost of two packs. I used the money to buy T205 and T206 cards. I quit for 4 years, then succumbed to the temptation again. I am planning on making another run at quitting this New Year's Day. (Smoking not card collecting)

Old 11-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Well GOOD FOR YOU, that's a great idea. I don't smoke, and I am not sure if Bill did, but that's a great way to motivate yourself.

Old 11-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Bought many cards from him back in the olden days when they used to have card shows in Lincoln....haven't seen him in a long time. Usually had the best stuff at the local shows.