NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-22-2002, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Default a cool find is there a market for ?

Posted By: tom mcconnell

i found several whole detroit news sports sections complete from yrs 1942,45.47. thru 1948.49 many front page articles from the likes of ted williams ,joe d and of course hank greenberg.one has an aticle of john mcgraw and shows a pic of his 206 card just wondering if there is a market for that kind of stuff ty for reading. i guess theres a market for everything

Old 11-22-2002, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

real iffy market. If you happen to hit the right person you could make some money, but even historically significant newspapers seldom command large prices. Sporting New and Sporting Life are a tough enough market, these are even tougher sells.

Jay

Old 11-22-2002, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

That year the Atlantics went 17-0 and this was a huge game. I was thinking it would go good with a Harpers Nov, 1865 "Atlantics" woodcut. But as far as investment value, it's probably not much of one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1583803657

Old 11-22-2002, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Why not offer them to libertyforall? Better yet, cut out the pics yourself and sell them on ebay in holders to the yahoos who are buying the other crapola.

Ooh, I feel so bad.

Old 11-22-2002, 03:51 PM
Administrator

to warshawlaw what you suggested was rude and childish you dont even know me .all i wanted was to share my find and get feedback

Old 11-22-2002, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Tom --

Despite the fact that you recently purchased the following eBay item -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=975341729 -- we all know that you're a valuable member of the vintage community.

That being said, I really don't think Adam meant it like that. Rather, his post was a sarcastic commentary on the state of the pre-WWII graded card categories on eBay. Also, from a practical standpoint, Adam is absolutely right. In the scissor-happy hands of "libertyforall," your discovery would be worth perhaps thousands of dollars per item.

Old 11-22-2002, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Fortunately there's not enough margin for libertyforall to buy and then cut up Harper's woodcuts.

I've bought women's swimsuits on ebay also (back when I ...sniff,sniff...had a woman)

Old 11-22-2002, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Tom,. I think the value to a Detroit sports historian would depend on the scope and depth of the articles and statistics. If a historian/collector thought there was interesting and not-found elsewhere information, he or she may pay a decent price .... One reason that the old Reach and Spalding guides sell well-- other than they are interesting illustrated collectables--, is that the wealth of information is incredible ... However, 20th century newspaper in general don't sell particularly well these days. Whether or not old newspaper are getting a raw deal, I don't know.

I once read a 1910 Sporting Life (which are as brittle as Joe Namath's knees at 7 am), and when I was finished and stood up, it looked like it had snowed all over the rug.

Old 11-22-2002, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Scott --

That's 2-Piece SWEATSUIT, not swimsuit...check out the pic and savor its rich sartorial splendor (really, Tom, I'm only teasing. After Thanksgiving, I'll need one too!)

Old 11-22-2002, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Tom --

Another use would be for computer images and interesting/unique pictures for websites and in eBay listings.

Irrespective of David's suggestion, 20th century newspapers and sports sections generally do not have very much appeal or value. Notable exceptions would be "hometown" papers chronicling famous events and special World Series editions featuring pictures of all the players. Editions with prominent articles and images of Ruth, Cobb, and Gehrig also have some value but generally do not sell for any more than several hundred each (at most). However, on occasion, old paper collectibles CAN have a great deal of entomological value.

Old 11-22-2002, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff s

>However, on occasion, old paper collectibles CAN have a great deal of entomological value<

you mean they help you with your study of insects?

Old 11-22-2002, 05:35 PM
Administrator

mw why did u only mention one item i buy several items on ebay that doesnt mean i know nothing of pre war baseball i own a complete 41 playball set and have several m116 sporting life and afew tango egg and all 4 206 cobbs so i my not be an expert like you but i share the same love for pre war cards as yourself

Old 11-22-2002, 05:41 PM
Administrator

I was only kidding, Tom. Like I wrote above, I consider you to be a valuable member of the vintage community.

Old 11-22-2002, 05:43 PM
Administrator

mw why did u only mention one item i buy several items on ebay that doesnt mean i know nothing of pre war baseball i own a complete 41 playball set and have several m116 sporting life and afew tango egg and all 4 206 cobbs so i my not be an expert like you but i share the same love for pre war cards as yourself

Old 11-22-2002, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I should think--if they're in good shape--they would be of interest to people whose collections focus on the people mentioned in the sports sections.

A Blacksox newspaper will net you quite a tidy sum.

Old 11-22-2002, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I'm real fond of my Harper's woodcuts, and think they're way undervalued. I buy acid free board, Mylar and acid free tape and make pockets for them...

Old 11-23-2002, 05:36 AM
Administrator

I just thought it might look good with the corresponding Harper's woodcut. The other problem with complete newspapers is how to mat the article without screwing up the rest of the paper - usually can't be done, but sometimes you get lucky. That's why I prefer to buy papers that are already trashed except for the picture or article that I'm interested in.

Old 11-23-2002, 05:49 AM
Administrator

If so, I've got several 1910 SL articles about his Kansas City Billiard Parlor scandal - I can send you scans.

Old 11-23-2002, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

push the Jewish angle on the Greenberg newspapers as many people collect on that theme............