NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-15-2017, 10:29 AM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

Default n?

nn

Last edited by PiratesWS1979; 02-18-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:54 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Wow. Good bet. She's from Alabama, right? The War Eagle reference is telling (as are the photoshopped pics and overly embellished descriptions).
Old 11-15-2017, 11:57 AM
Larry More.y

Good catch. In the feedback war-eagle has left for others, the listing's titles seem to match perfectly to battlefields.

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...rchInterval=30

Their shipping "polices" seem to match up to battlefields also. Same blue background and no back scans, like battlefield.

Coincidentally, ebay is running an offer where if you list/sell 500 items before Nov 18, there is a 20 percent discount on FVF....maybe trying to take advantage of this promo.

Love the back story though.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:51 PM

Great catch, definitely may be the same. War Eagle is Auburn's battle cry, no? And Battlefield is from Alabama? Larry, you are a regular inspector gadget!
Old 11-15-2017, 04:27 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Appears that all stuff listed in their store is certainly TPG worthy...so why push it raw if not photo-shopped?
Old 11-18-2017, 04:34 AM

Default New listings from seller:

.I just checked out the new stuff listed last night and if these are all legitimate holdings , there should be heavily-armed security all around that home....museum-quality jaw-dropping cards , no back scans , virtually identical descriptions except for the name change in the first line.....this should be fun to watch....I'll take the Cobb and one of the Gehrigs....

Old 11-18-2017, 04:44 AM

Default Good catch in the feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Good catch. In the feedback war-eagle has left for others, the listing's titles seem to match perfectly to battlefields.

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...rchInterval=30

Their shipping "polices" seem to match up to battlefields also. Same blue background and no back scans, like battlefield.

Coincidentally, ebay is running an offer where if you list/sell 500 items before Nov 18, there is a 20 percent discount on FVF....maybe trying to take advantage of this promo.

Love the back story though.
Yup ...I just saw the "BREATHTAKING" "SPECTACULAR" and excclamation points about nine feedbacks down

Old 11-18-2017, 06:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
Yup ...I just saw the "BREATHTAKING" "SPECTACULAR" and excclamation points about nine feedbacks down

It's going to be a bloodbath of returns when the buyers find out they have been ripped off. This Battlefield ID will get hosed up with negatives just like the other one. I don't know where Karma is for this seller but it has to be around the corner. No one can do that much bad stuff for so long and not have bad luck. I certainly wish them the worst ...
Old 11-18-2017, 07:16 AM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

I do have to admit the player quality is, dare I say, BREATHTAKING!! Now if only the green Cobb would show.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:49 AM

Default Breathtaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesWS1979 View Post
I do have to admit the player quality is, dare I say, BREATHTAKING!! Now if only the green Cobb would show.

..outside of opening a brand new Topps pack in the fall of 1952 , I have never before seen that kind of unslabbed quality as in those scans..they are artists...

Old 11-18-2017, 08:29 AM
Bruce Mattioli

I don't understand what they plan on accomplishing if these are bogus auctions and you win but are protected via Paypal.. What would be the point of doing this??

After reading more about there shenanigans I see their agenda is photoshopping which is wrong..

Last edited by bmattioli; 11-18-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:34 AM
Paul D.

Why would anyone sell this quality of high-grade cards raw??

Notice all of the PWCC buys over the last 6 months??
Old 11-18-2017, 10:17 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSOX42 View Post
Why would anyone sell this quality of high-grade cards raw??

Notice all of the PWCC buys over the last 6 months??
Always the key question.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:12 PM
George E.

It is a shame, dragging one of the best battle cries/friendly greetings down like that.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:57 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Some very spirited bidding on some of Battle Cry's top raw cards. For example, a '33 Goudey Gehrig just went for over 7 grand. My instincts sort of tell me that Battle Cry is not Battlefields. If I am wrong and the cards have been messed with, watch out for fireworks.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:04 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I meant War Eagle not Battle Cry. Way past my bedtime.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:27 AM
Jeff Lar.son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Some very spirited bidding on some of Battle Cry's top raw cards. For example, a '33 Goudey Gehrig just went for over 7 grand. My instincts sort of tell me that Battle Cry is not Battlefields. If I am wrong and the cards have been messed with, watch out for fireworks.
It's almost certainly the same person/people. Same location, same MO. Acquire trimmed/altered cards or cards with slight but noticeable imperfections, crack them out, clean up the picture, and sell as NM raw. Offer fast refunds and just keep reselling until a buyer doesn't complain. Boost good feedback by selling large quantities of legit lower end cards.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:29 AM
E®© Eńlø

Location: Home of the 11-Time World Champion St. Louis Cardinals
Default Battlefield = war eagle

If you do a search for Battlefield auctions you will find none.
She always has 100's of items listed and now she has none.
We know eBay won't do anything about her.
Now a new seller comes up but uses the same blue background.
And from the same area. It's not that hard to figure this moron out.
Should have picked a name not so closely related to your last one, Carol.
Battlefield0516 = war_eagle_vintage
SAME IDIOT

PS - Also noticed that she has won quite a few PWCC auctions. Has feedback that can't be checked out because it's over a year old and her negative feedback doesn't show up on her profile. This was probably her backup account to use whenever the other one got suspended. Or she just faked the whole thing.

Last edited by bbcardzman; 11-19-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

I wonder if the Battlefield account did get suspended or something? Seems strange that a "thriving business" would all of a sudden have 0 listings.

The only other thing I can add to what has already been said, is the "new" Battlefield also uses Auctiva software. Auctiva software isn't bad itself (I use their free tools, but never subscribed), but too many similarities. Would take a long time to completely learn new software to upload that many listings in such a short time.

I like the story about "my wife and I recently retired" and I decided to sell my personal collection. A nice way to try and legitimize a lack of selling history to unknowing buyers.

Last edited by Jenx34; 11-19-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:30 PM
Ed Woelfle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenx34 View Post
I wonder if the Battlefield account did get suspended or something? Seems strange that a "thriving business" would all of a sudden have 0 listings.
I wonder as well? I can’t remember a time since the whole battlefield issue came in the focus (last few years now) where she didn’t have something listed? I would think if suspended, though, there would be some inability to search/find? Not sure how they handle that. Perhaps, as well, she set up this new account knowing the suspension day may soon be around the corner as the negatives continue to pile on the battlefield name?
Old 11-19-2017, 01:40 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I am just thankful to be a member of this board and that alert members like Larry B. are considerate enough to share what they find.

Thank you Larry and to any others who warn all of us before we become victims.

-

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 11-19-2017, 03:14 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Now there is no doubt I my mind that War Eagle is indeed Battlefields. I liked the tale of retiring, selling the collection amassed over a lifetime, etc. and thought the seller just might be legitimate. Wrong, since as other astute observers have pointed out, Battlefields has no current offerings at the moment. Just a coincidence. Doubt it.
I got caught. Won the '55 Bowman Mantle last, which has already been shipped. Will see when card received. Glad I didn't indulge myself with the beautiful '33 Goudey Gehrig, which fetched over 7K, or the DS Greenberg for 1.3 K.
This could be the swan song of Battlefields, a.k.a. War Eagle. Take the money and run or set up under a new nom de plume.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:53 PM
Jeff Lar.son

Quote:
Now there is no doubt I my mind that War Eagle is indeed Battlefields. I liked the tale of retiring, selling the collection amassed over a lifetime, etc. and thought the seller just might be legitimate. Wrong, since as other astute observers have pointed out, Battlefields has no current offerings at the moment. Just a coincidence. Doubt it.
I got caught. Won the '55 Bowman Mantle last, which has already been shipped. Will see when card received. Glad I didn't indulge myself with the beautiful '33 Goudey Gehrig, which fetched over 7K, or the DS Greenberg for 1.3 K.
This could be the swan song of Battlefields, a.k.a. War Eagle. Take the money and run or set up under a new nom de plume.
Update us when you get the Mantle.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:56 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Wasn't there a neg in their feedback earlier in the day? Now it's gone? Also they claim to be a member since 1 Apr 11, April Fools Day..
Old 11-19-2017, 05:27 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Return it. No reason is required, but inspect it carefully and if there is ANY difference between the card and the scan, file a return and demand they pay return shipping. I did and got a return shipping label in hours. If not, just return it if you don't mind paying return shipping.

When you paid, did you see the name on the Paypal account?

In a perfect world, I'd love it if members on this board won every single item listed and returned 100% of them!
Old 11-20-2017, 05:32 AM
Daryl

Default War Eagle

Thanks for the heads up she had me hooked with a few of the T206's.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:09 AM
Derek Granger

nice catch...I suspected it looked a lot like battlefield, but the flat out lie about retiring and selling his/her life-long collection had me slightly fooled and I bought it. There were some really STUNNING cards there (pun intended).

And for those who wonder why they sell raw, it's because there's usually a slight flaw and they photoshop it so the buyer thinks they are getting a steal from an unsuspecting seller. Unbeknownst to the buyer, they are the one getting ripped off! Many choose to not return the items because they feel guilty that they were getting such a good deal from a poor old retired person. Haha! jokes on you!

Anyway, thanks for alerting us!

Regards,
Derek

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 11-21-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It's going to be a bloodbath of returns when the buyers find out they have been ripped off. This Battlefield ID will get hosed up with negatives just like the other one. I don't know where Karma is for this seller but it has to be around the corner. No one can do that much bad stuff for so long and not have bad luck. I certainly wish them the worst ...
Funny thing is.... I was researching this exact comparison and figured I would come here to check if anyone else noticed.

Obviously old news!

I think it is a dead give away that they are one in the same.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:24 AM

Battlefield0516 has tons of negative feedback yet:

"Top rated seller with highest buyer ratings"

Ebay is atrocious
Old 11-21-2017, 09:32 AM
Dave H@rford

I agree that War Eagle and Battlefield are the same seller. I have followed Battlefield auctions over the past 5+ years, and thankfully have never purchased any cards from that seller. I am now though, in quite a quandary as War Eagle is selling several Hartland items that I am very interested in. I realized the photos may be altered, but my question comes to authenticity. As these cannot be sent anywhere for authentication, given the Battlefield background and history, are these memorabilia items also on the AVOID AT ALL COSTS LIST?

Dave
Old 11-21-2017, 09:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harford20 View Post
I agree that War Eagle and Battlefield are the same seller. I have followed Battlefield auctions over the past 5+ years, and thankfully have never purchased any cards from that seller. I am now though, in quite a quandary as War Eagle is selling several Hartland items that I am very interested in. I realized the photos may be altered, but my question comes to authenticity. As these cannot be sent anywhere for authentication, given the Battlefield background and history, are these memorabilia items also on the AVOID AT ALL COSTS LIST?

Dave
Why avoid them? You know Hartlands and their MO is to give immediate refunds. Just make sure the listing offers a refund and go for it. Actually, even if not, if the item is hosed they will still have to take it back as SNAD.......Good luck..

And yes, Dan, as Battlefield is a top rated seller to ebay it makes their whole rating system 100% ineffective at doing what it is supposed to do. It could actually be a lesson in marketing on what NOT to do to instill confidence in your customer base. Everything ebay does in ratings is skewed after their complete ineptitude with that seller (to me).

Last edited by Leon; 11-21-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:

Dave
Hi Dave

The Hartland original 1958 -60's boxes were reproduced but it is very easy to tell as I have a repro Johnny Unitas box. You can clearly see the dot pattern all over the box that should have solid color.

Now I have never owned 1 of the repro tags so I don't know about those but you are safe with the boxes I believe.

Dan Mckee
Old 11-22-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Why avoid them? You know Hartlands and their MO is to give immediate refunds. Just make sure the listing offers a refund and go for it. Actually, even if not, if the item is hosed they will still have to take it back as SNAD.......Good luck..

And yes, Dan, as Battlefield is a top rated seller to ebay it makes their whole rating system 100% ineffective at doing what it is supposed to do. It could actually be a lesson in marketing on what NOT to do to instill confidence in your customer base. Everything ebay does in ratings is skewed after their complete ineptitude with that seller (to me).
100% agree Leon
Old 11-22-2017, 08:34 AM
E®© Eńlø

Location: Home of the 11-Time World Champion St. Louis Cardinals

Quote:

Dave
If you have any brains at all you would stay away from anything that Carol Battle sells. She only tries to rip off everyone on every sale, so do you think it's a good idea buying from a thief? So many people buy crap from her and are very unhappy yet don't leave negative feedback. Even if they leave negative feedback it gets wiped out by eBay because she makes them money. If people would only stop buying stuff from her period, she would not be making any money for eBay, and would be forced to quit.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:51 AM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcardzman View Post
If you have any brains at all you would stay away from anything that Carol Battle sells. She only tries to rip off everyone on every sale, so do you think it's a good idea buying from a thief? So many people buy crap from her and are very unhappy yet don't leave negative feedback. Even if they leave negative feedback it gets wiped out by eBay because she makes them money. If people would only stop buying stuff from her period, she would not be making any money for eBay, and would be forced to quit.
Exactly. Battlefield has proven time and again to be crooked, taking advantage of both the eBay marketplace rules and collectors like us.

Why support an operation like that??
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 11-22-2017, 09:20 AM
Dave Wilson

They are selling graded cards as well. Should there be any concern with those? I've got my eye on a relatively inexpensive card.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:34 AM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccre View Post
They are selling graded cards as well. Should there be any concern with those? I've got my eye on a relatively inexpensive card.
I guess it boils down to the point of do you want to support someone who cheats and steals, even if they aren't cheating you.

That said, there was a '52 Mantle listed by Battlefield earlier that was PSA graded, and members here found where the original card had been sold and comparing the pictures showed Battlefield's was "cleaner". So even on graded cards, I'd say buyer beware.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:38 PM
Jason Seidl

Default Uhg

I just won a graded card but did not look at the seller. It’s this guy. Hope it goes well as I paid right away.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:22 PM
Sean Costello

Jason, post pictures of the ebay scan and the card that you receive if possible.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:22 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey City Giants View Post
I just won a graded card but did not look at the seller. It’s this guy. Hope it goes well as I paid right away.
There is a chance it will be ok LOL.....
Old 11-23-2017, 03:27 PM
Jason Seidl

Yeah I should be fine but it worries me dealing with someone like this.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:22 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batpig View Post
Update us when you get the Mantle.
'55 Bowman Mantle received last week shipped in a Priority Mail envelope rather than the standard USPS first class normally used by Battlefields. Also included was a nice little note signed by one Earl saying he hoped I enjoyed the card as much as he had. The card described by Earl as nrmt is quite nice but the reverse is way o/c, precluding a high grade. War Eagle has no current listings.
If I had to conjecture what is going on, I would offer the following: Carolyn Battle died last year. She was running Battlefields Ebay operations and Earl was her husband. Carol, their daughter, picked up the reigns and then ran the company. The supply of raw cards probably came from Earl who built a large collection over a lifetime. Some were, of course, photo shopped but I
doubt there was much, if any, card alteration. War Eagle, aka Earl, was created to sell the rest of his goodies, which has happened, fetching some big prices. Now perhaps they plan on riding off into the sunset counting their money. I doubt we will hear anything from them in the future. Ebay will weep for their loss of revenue. Of course, this scenario could be completely wrong and they will continue on their sinful ways.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:48 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
'55 Bowman Mantle received last week shipped in a Priority Mail envelope rather than the standard USPS first class normally used by Battlefields. Also included was a nice little note signed by one Earl saying he hoped I enjoyed the card as much as he had. The card described by Earl as nrmt is quite nice but the reverse is way o/c, precluding a high grade. War Eagle has no current listings.
If I had to conjecture what is going on, I would offer the following: Carolyn Battle died last year. She was running Battlefields Ebay operations and Earl was her husband. Carol, their daughter, picked up the reigns and then ran the company. The supply of raw cards probably came from Earl who built a large collection over a lifetime. Some were, of course, photo shopped but I
doubt there was much, if any, card alteration. War Eagle, aka Earl, was created to sell the rest of his goodies, which has happened, fetching some big prices. Now perhaps they plan on riding off into the sunset counting their money. I doubt we will hear anything from them in the future. Ebay will weep for their loss of revenue. Of course, this scenario could be completely wrong and they will continue on their sinful ways.
I stated this in another thread. I finally got some replies from Battlefield regarding a delay in my refund, and while I can't be sure and I do know some women with potty mouths, the "conversation" did not come across as being from a woman. Needless to say, whoever is running the account didn't come across as being very customer oriented and not one I would ever do business again, with or without the card "issues".
Old 11-27-2017, 05:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

It is quite obvious what they are doing,. Here is, what looks to be, 7k+ of fraud in these 3 auctions.

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=47056

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MICKEY-MANT...-/282733217520

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MICKEY-MANT...T/282733218833

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MICKEY-MANT...T/282733220044

Last edited by Leon; 11-27-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:09 PM
Dave_Berg

Sickening
Old 11-27-2017, 06:16 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

Quote:

Battlefield has sunk even lower...and that's saying something!
Old 11-27-2017, 06:19 PM
Duane Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
Sickening
+1

Hopefully, the buyers of these cards see this thread and take action with the appropriate authorities.

Duane Clark
Old 11-27-2017, 06:52 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

The auction houses should be notified and ban these scammers.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:27 PM
James
James Kin.chen

So the 55 Bowman Mantle that John, Yoda, bought was once graded authentic. I would say that he is not as happy with the card as he was earlier in the day. Hopefully something can be done to stop these scammers.
James
Old 11-27-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
So the 55 Bowman Mantle that John, Yoda, bought was once graded authentic. I would say that he is not as happy with the card as he was earlier in the day. Hopefully something can be done to stop these scammers.
James
Yes, the '55 Bowman Mantle sold in REA had 2 distinct print dots in the lower right portion of the card, and these were not visible in the war eagle auction. This should be a telltale sign for John when he receives the card.