NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-11-2005, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Default Angle theory? Why did Grandpa only collect HOFers

Posted By: Anson

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-Ty-Cobb-1940-Joe-Dimaggio-Cards_W0QQitemZ5229665714QQcategoryZ86840QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

Old 08-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

It's also amazing that grandsons would sell their grandfathers' prized
possessions.
Don't these grandsons know how much corn and cotton and soybeans had to
be picked so their grandfathers could purchase their sweet caporal or
polar bear tobacco just to have a chance to get the best players.
A sad day for humanity.
No wonder my own grandfather would spit beechnut out the front window of the
truck, not much caring that we grandsons were in the back. I guess he knew
how money hungry the next generations would become. Prescient?

barry

Old 08-12-2005, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

no kidding, my grandfather's prized possession was probably his red sox hat...couldn't be worth more than 10 bucks, still have it, don't wear it...not gonna sell it....

BlackSoxFan

oh yeah as an aside, he had some really expensive cards.... probably worth a lot more than 10 bucks ... still have em.... don't play with em....love to look at them....still...not gonna sell it!

Old 08-12-2005, 11:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

My grandfather didn't leave me any valuable tobacco or caramel cards but he left me his medals from WW 1 and neither I nor either of my daughters (who would get them next) would ever DREAM of selling them. I realize cards and medals for bravery are apples and oranges but if you do a search on ebay you'd be shocked how many descendants are selling their dad'd, granddad's and great granddad's medals. Sad...

Old 08-13-2005, 01:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

My prized family heirloom is a 1931 Congressional medal given to my fisherman grandfather for saving 11 lives during a 'high seas' storm (rescued people from a passanger boat crashed on the reef and lost his own boat in the process). It's never even crossed my mind to sell it. And, knowing eBay, if I did aucion it it would probably go for $4.95 and the winner would complain about the $3 shipping charge.

Old 08-13-2005, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Clearly, the lesson to be learned is leave the cards to your great-grandchildren, not the grandkids. They'll be safe that way.

Old 08-13-2005, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

My first two T206 cards were purchased from a guy in his early 20's that wanted a little money to help fund a trip to Vegas. His cards were given to him by his grandfather, who had since passed on, and were still in a cigar box that his grandfather had collected them in.

I later learned that he decided not to sell any more because he felt horrible about selling the ones he sold to me.

Still have those two cards (Matty White Cap & Bender Portrait). Not gonna sell em.