NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Default OT: Ebay Seller Strike

Posted By: Red

If Ebay just raised their fees it wouldn't be a big deal. They've done it lots of times before. Who cares! It's just a cost of doing business that you work with and move on.

Where Ebay hit a nerve this time is the nonsense with the buyer no longer being able to get hit with a negative or neutral. Most good sellers will go hundreds or thousands of transactions with little need of anything other than positives. Although you seldom ever need a negative or neutral it's nice to know that you have that ability to leave a very well deserved one when all else has failed.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Red - ebay acknowledged that this would stop sellers from leaving valid negatives, but said that in their estimation, the threat of a retaliatory negative (which is not allowed by ebay policy) stopping the buyer from leaving valid negative feedback for the seller, was occurring about 8 times as often as valid negative feedback for a buyer and that's why they made the decision.

They certainly understood the issue from the sellers side in this regard, but they felt the overwhelming problem on the buyers side would be fixed as a result. Perhaps they could have come up with a better solution. Certainly, as Dan suggested, when a buyer doesn't apy for an item and they go through the non-payment process, the seller should then be able to leave a neg for the buyer.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Gordon

I think the strike is an excellent idea. I have been selling on eBay for seven years and am continually smacked in the teeth by eBay. Of course the strike won’t effect eBay’s bottom line but if it sends them a message that sellers are fed up, the strike will have been successful.

My main problem with the new policy, which I stated on another thread last week but is apropos here, is the loss of my ability to leave a negative. I need that tool to fend off fraudulent buyers who claim they have not received an item after I packed the item and sent it.

The key to the scam is the fraudulent buyer’s positive feedback. Sellers like me will suck up the loss and refund the buyer’s money when the buyer has 100 percent positive feedback.

I believe this scam will increase tenfold without the negative feedback to foil the plot. Now to combat the scam I am going to have to refuse all refunds when a buyer claims to have not received an item. The result will be a barrage of negatives and buyers will then skip my auctions.

Yes I can insure the packages or use signature confirmation, but these things cost money and effect my bottom line. Also, blocking buyers is not all that effective because it is sooo easy to register multiple times on eBay.

While I have enjoyed selling cards to collectors all over the world, I think I will turn my attention locally and set up at more shows. Here in Chicago, we have quite a few good shows with plenty of buyers.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Ebay pulled that percentage from thin air. If a buyer was truly wronged there would be little hesitation at all to leave the seller a negative and teach him a lesson. Where an idiot buyer might be reluctant to leave a negative are cases where he doesn't understand that the seller really didn’t do anything wrong. Maybe he paid $4.00 for shipping and only $3.72 was on the package. Maybe he’s mad at the Post Office for slow delivery or holding the package at the Post Office. Maybe the buyer paid no shipping and just included a white envelope SASE and told the seller to throw the PSA card in and ship in that. Maybe the seller didn’t take Paypal and a negative will teach him a lesson. These are all situations where the sellers don’t deserve to be given a negative, and it’s great that the possibility of getting a negative in return will make the buyer think before giving an undeserved negative.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Red - While I have in the past negged a few sellers who deserved it as they tried to cheat me (not .25 on postage; rather, a complete misrepresentation of the card for sale), I always got a nasty retaliatory neg, and as a result, have had issues with other sellers not wanting to sell to me. As I strongly believe buyers should know about the bad sellers, I was not intimidated by this, but I'm sure many buyers are and I certainly appreciate ebay making an effort to fix the problem; that said, I'm not sure if there wasn't a better solution.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Paypal is the real monster, and of course Paypal is now eBay. If I weren't so lazy and used to the immediate payment aspect of paypal and the fact people can charge items I sell on plastic through paypal, I'd get rid of them. The last major card I sold on the BST thread was paid through paypal and I had to eat a big chunk in paypal fees. I had forgotten how large that chunk had become!

Old 02-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

"... the threat of a retaliatory negative (which is not allowed by ebay policy) stopping the buyer from leaving valid negative feedback for the seller, was occurring about 8 times as often as valid negative feedback for a buyer and that's why they made the decision."

Ah, a classic of unsupported reasoning by Ebay. If the buyer doesn't leave the feedback how do they know the buyer didn't leave the feedback? They don't. It is pure BS to justify a move that they want to make so they can appear to be "doing something" about fraud without really doing anything at all. What's next, no fluids over 2.5 oz., taking off our shoes before we bid? Who's running the show there, Osama Bid Large?

Ebay has transformed the Hobby in a mostly good way. I love being able to shop for cards 24/7/365. I love being able to find "holy grail" cards. Even with the new fees it still makes a lot of sense as a marketplace. The one thing that makes me bristle more than anything, though, is Paypal. I don't take it anymore except from people I know because the rules are too weighted for the buyer. As a buyer, it actually makes me less cautious since I figure I can use a credit card to buy and initiate a chargeback if there is a problem.

One issue that I haven't seen addressed w/r/t Paypal is what happens when a seller says "no insurance, you take the risk." Has anyone been involved in a dispute where the listing placed the risk with the buyer if insurance was not paid, and the item was lost or damaged, and if so, what happened?

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 02-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Yes I can insure the packages or use signature confirmation, but these things cost money and effect my bottom line.

Can't you just pass the cost of that to the buyer? Make it mandatory. I know I will be.

Steve

Old 02-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick Helfrick

I could not agree more with James Gallo. eBay is all about the buyer. In fact, I recently had a PayPal rep tell me that they (eBay/PayPal) can always find more sellers - it is the buyer they have to treat with kid gloves.

I have been buying and selling on eBay for over 10 years and I am ready to call it quits. I have 5500+ positives (should be about triple that but only 1 in 3 leaves feedback) and up until last week, only 2 negatives (both were from international buyers who claim to have never received the item). I just had one buyer who bought three (3) cards from me in late November for under $10 and waited until the end of January (over 2 months) to advise the cards were not received. I sent him a scan of the USPS receipt and after being threatened with negative feedback, agreed to refund his payment. The day after agreeing to do so, the buyer left me a negative for each transaction. I also received a negative from a customer in Germany who claimed to never have received his merchandise. He filed a dispute with PayPal and even though I provided proof of shipping, they ruled in his favor since there was no signature required for delivery. I recently sent a replacement for the "lost" item and still received negative feedback. Contacting a rep at eBay, even if you are a Power Seller, is useless. You can't send an email to eBay with an attachment and they will not allow you to fax any documents that support your case to remove feedback. I'm tired of the feedback extortion practiced by buyers on eBay and now we won't be able to leave them feedback? Crazy.

Like James, I could write a book about the problems of doing business on eBay. Yes, they are a corportation but even by corporate standards, they suck.

Patrick

Old 02-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

To me the answer is to place the cost of the buyers' protection measures on the buyers, and let them know that you are doing so.

I haven't sold a whole lot lately, but sometime in the last year I started requiring both insurance and signature delivery for any item that I expected to sell for over $30 or so for which the buyer used PayPal. I even said that I required insurance specifically because PayPal's generous buyer protection policies made me fully responsible for all shipping up until signed receipt could be proven.

A few paid by PayPal w/o insurance because it didn't show up in the standard cost. If I sell in the future I will build it into the cost, explain why it is there, and that if anyone wants to pay via check or MO I will deduct it.

PayPal can't complain because this is not an extra fee for using PayPal in the sense that I am trying to get the buyer to pick up the PayPal fees. That's illegal. I identify it as the cost of buyer protection, and price it at insurance cost so it can't be debated as to what it's for.

No complaints so far, and as a buyer I wouldn't necessarily complain either. The policies are clearly protective of the buyer, and the allocation of the cost of the protection can be part of the bargain.

I will probably add signature confirmation on all >$30 items now, even non-PayPal, and explain that because I can't leave a buyer neg this is to cover my risk of a shady buyer.

No problem. Charge for it and make it clear what it is for. The cost of risk has to be in the system somewhere - I can't see how sellers can just keep absorbing it. Let the buyers start complaining about the extra costs - at some point maybe they will get tired of paying more for everything just because ebay and PP won't face up to the fact that a few bad-apple buyers are a genuine problem for sellers.

And for what it's worth, I buy more than I sell on ebay, by far.

J

Old 02-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew S.

I just logged into eBay about 5 minutes ago and received this message from a new zero feedback member I've never heard of:

"Hey pal, remember when you gave me a strike last fall because I couldn't pay for a card? I'm going to have the last laugh soon enough!"

I reported the message to eBay, but even if they close that bogus account, this freak could just open another.
It has to be one of 3 buyers because he said last fall and I had to file three deadbeat NPB in the fall and none of them responded.
Also noticed on a couple of other forums there are some scumbags vowing to go on a negative feedback rampage for revenge and some just for sh**s and giggles to ruin perfect feedback sellers.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert {Bigb13}

You know what is BS?   When I as a buyer win an item and pay for it right away with paypal and the seller does not leave me feedback until I leave it for him or her first. As soon as I pay which usually is right after the auction is over the seller should leave positive feedback for me. Some times I receive the item and leave my positive for them they still don't leave feedback. Sometimes they never leave it, so maybe I will start leaving negative feedback if I feel that an item is to long in transit or maybe it will be neutral or just maybe not leave anything at all. That should hurt a seller don't you think? I think so since I know I always check their feedback before I bid on one of their auctions and if I see to many negs it does not matter how bad I want the item I will not bid on them. I often wonder how a seller can have a feedback with hundreds or sometimes a thousand negs and still be able to sell on ebay. I don't care how many percent it is hundreds of negs means bad news but still ebay lets them sell. So you guys that say ebay is in favor of the sellers should think twice about that. If a buyer had that many negs they would be thrown off ebay but for the sellers it's ok? I say it's BS. Rob
Old 02-08-2008, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Kind of a followup to Robert's comments.

Last year I BINed a mid three figure item from an outfit called bronsongalleries. Rec'd the item and left positive feedback. The seller never left feedback.

Now to the present. This seller has an item on eBay that I would be interested in bidding on. But you know what? Screw them. I won't.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Stick buy your guns Steve.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Steve,

That seems severe. I have listed on ebay over 1400 transactions and have never left feedback once--in fact I tell dealers if they ask don't bother with feedback.

Jim

Old 02-08-2008, 06:59 AM
Administrator

I had one seller threaten me  because I had a computer problem which entailed that I bring it in to be worked on and could not pay for a week. I was using my cell phone for bidding and answering my emails but could not use it for payment through pay pal. So they were mad they told me I should go to the library and use one of their computers to send payment {Right I might put my personal information on a library computer} they must be kidding. But anyway I used a neighbors computer and sent payment and they left me positive feedback so now I am waiting until the 89 days 23hrs and 59 minutes and I will leave them NEGITIVE feedback and they can not do anything about it. LOL who will get the last laugh. Rob 
Old 02-08-2008, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Jim- sellers are clearly leaving you feedback- wouldn't it be courteous to reciprocate?

I send a friendly reminder out asking a buyer to leave feedback, and usually half do if the message remains polite. And I try to always leave positive feedback the same day I am paid. I think buyers appreciate it, and it gets us off on the right track.

I really don't have trouble at all with buyers (one reneger since I began selling) and never received negative from anyone. Maybe everybody needs to work on customer relations a little bit. That's not an ebay issue- that's something between buyer and seller.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Barry you might be one in a thousand but most sellers wait until the buyer leave them feedback first which is not right. If I pay right away I deserve positive right away. Oh also Jim for you, if I buy from you and you don't
have the courtesy to leave feedback well I would think that you do not care enough about the buyers  and that would be the last time I would buy from you.  Rob 
Old 02-08-2008, 07:32 AM
Administrator

I agree Robert. It's good customer service, and you know what- it's just feedback. It's just a little note saying thanks, and each one takes less than 30 seconds. Not worth making a big deal over it.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:35 AM
Administrator

But for the sellers it's their reputation. Rob
Old 02-08-2008, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Yes, it is the seller's reputation, and that is why I make a very small gesture of good will at the start of a transaction. It almost always pays dividends.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

Robert, the transaction is not over when the buyer pays. It's over when the buyer receives the goods and signifies that he is satisfied. At that point feedback should be left, by either party.

The easiest way is for the buyer to just leave it first so the seller knows it has been received and the buyer is happy and the seller can then reciprocate w/o fear of retaliation. It's simpler than the buyer emailing the seller, say he received the goods and is satisfied, ask for feedback, then leave his own.

It would be foolish for the seller to leave it first....just look at the dozens of examples why.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Eric- I've left feedback first as a seller for nearly a thousand total transactions. I've never received a single negative, and the majority of the people I deal with leave glowing feedback in return. I must being doing something right.

Maybe the positive reinforcement to start the transaction is really a pretty good idea. Some may disagree.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Administrator

But Eric, what if the seller sent the buyer a load of crap and then wouldn't make an adjustment or give a refund? What recourse other than eBay or paypal (right!!!)does he have? Isn't the buyer within his rights to give negative feedback? I suggest he is but if the seller hasn't already left feedback you may be assured that a neg will come back in retaliation.

If a buyer pays promptly he is entitled to IMMEDIATE feedback. PERIOD!!!

Old 02-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Spoken as a true seller Eric. If I win an item and pay right away that should make a seller happy enough to leave positive. What more would a seller need to leave positive feedback? You must be kidding that a buyer should leave it first. Rob
Old 02-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Administrator

The seller has to leave it first. When someone pays, you say "thank you." That's an automatic in my book.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Rob and Barry,

I am not a seller. I give dupes to dealer friends to sell.

Who really cares if a seller has 4,236 or 4,237 positive feedback or 422 or 423 or 42 or 43. Has never mattered to me.

I tell sellers if they ask no feedback please as many times I don't want people to know what I am buying.

Jim

Old 02-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Administrator

It matters a lot if he has 4200 feedback and 42 are negs. And it also matters if he has 42 feedback and 5 are negs. At least to us buyers. Rob

Old 02-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Gordon

Steve,

I sell mostly low-grade pre-war and low-cost post-war vintage from $10 to $25 a pop. For this stuff, the buyer is not willing to take on added costs. Last year after eBay's annual fee increase along with the post office increase, I raised my shipping fee and saw a big drop in sales. I think for higher end items, buyers are willing to pay more in shipping but for my stuff, I just can't get much from the buyer.

Robert,

I used to leave feedback for buyers right after I shipped the item. It was a great way for me to keep track of items I sent. Then a rash of buyers claimed to have not received items I had shipped. I checked their feedback, all positives, so I sucked up the losses and refunded the money. Then I started getting these no-receipt claims every month and realized it was a scam. The key to the scam is having all positive feedback because sellers won't refund the money if there are negatives. To combat the scam, I started to wait until the buyer left me feedback before reciprocating -- the result -- I have not received any claims of no receipt.

I do get some irate emails from buyers who want feedback immediately. What I don't understand is that these buyers seem to make purchases on eBay solely to receive feedback. Why aren't they more interested in adding a card to their collection than receiving feedback? I also collect cards, have been for more than 30 years. When I buy a card on eBay I want it to arrive without damage and in a reasonable time, I could care less about receiving feedback from the seller.

As a seller, feedback will no longer help me identify a bad buyer thanks to eBay's new policy, so I don't see the point in leaving it after Feb. 20.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Jim- if it's for anonymity then I understand. But can you be totally anonymous on ebay? When you win something your username is visible.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

Barry, that's impressive. But it may be due to you selling items not prone to bad buyers or using tools like signature confirmation. And as for Jim's point, the completed transations are only visible for about 2 weeks. But you can still see them for 90 days on the feedback portion of your ID.

Personally, I never had a problem with feedback. I'm at 100% and have in the past sent it first as a seller. But I stopped after a powerseller neighbor showed how he received them for no reason. One guy said the shoes he bought did not match the pants he had. And there were others just as ridiculous.

And Steve, you are correct that a buyer should be able to give bad feedback for bad sellers. But until there is a mechanism to get retaliatiory feedback removed, there is no solution.

And, by the way, this new policy is not going to help the buyers very much. Without the ability to give bad feedback to the buyers, why would any seller be proactive (accept returns, etc) when they know they buyer will still leave bad feedback.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Administrator

If a buyer pays promptly he is entitled to IMMEDIATE feedback. PERIOD!!!

I used to think that too, then I heard all the nightmares from good sellers that had bad buyers neg them or ask for partial refunds etc. I feel a seller should give feedback after he has been told from the buyer that all is good either via email or positive feedback. A deal is not completed simply when a buyer pays. IMO

Tony.

If you charge 3.50 (which just about everyone does) you can pay for the postage, the delivery confirmation and the mailer for under 2.50, leaving a buck for insurance if you still want to use that service.

1.47 postage
20 Mailer
75 Del Confiramtion
---------------

With items valued at 10.00 to 25.00 I would simply go without insurance and pay it out of pocket if a claim arised.

When sellers try to recoup all the various fees associated with selling is when they cry about the shipping costs. (not saying you are Tony)

Steve

edited typos

Old 02-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Barry,

Do I really want sellers studying every transaction I have made in the last three months analyzing what I will pay for certain types of cards?

The answer is no. Thus, I respond no feedback please.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Jim i see your point.

However if someone wanted to see exactly what you have bought, or for that matter placed even a bid on, Ebay I think, still allows for that thru search by bidder.

Steve

Old 02-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am mostly a buyer....when I receive the product I give a feedback....I don't really worry if it's left for me unless I got a negative (knock on wood over 1400 perfect)....As a seller I give feedback when I ship something out unless I think there could be an issue which is very rarely....regards

Old 02-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I sometimes don't know what to think of the feedback scenarios on ebay. In November I bought a Sioux City Soos photo from a guy in Michigan, I paid within minutes of the auction ending with paypal. After two weeks and not receiving the photo I emailed him with no response, but in the meantime he listed some Lincoln Athletics photos which are truly up my alley and I bid and won them. Paypaled him immediately again and asked if he could just send the Soos photo along with the Lincoln photos...he advised me that he must have lost the Soos photo and that he would reimburse me with paypal. Well after about two weeks and still not receiving anything from him I emailed him with no response...started to wonder so I looked at his feedback and noticed that he is a very slow shipper on some items and other items he seems to be able to get out to buyers within days. Some of those people who got their items in a not so timely manner left neutral feedbacks and they all got hit with negatives in return....so I patiently waited and finally received the Lincoln photos after three weeks, but no paypal reimbursement for the lost Soos photo. Then about a week later I noticed he put up a bunch of minor league photos with a couple more Lincoln photos in it...I won them and emailed him that I would like to pay $10 less for this lot because he still owed me $10. Never heard back so I just went ahead and payed for the lot with paypal....got the photos within a few days. emailed and asked about my paypal reimbursement and he finally relented and payed me back. I left him three positives that were benign and didn't even fill out the "Stars". He decided not to leave me any feedback. Not sure where I was at fault in anything, but I looked and he left positives for everyone else he sold too in the last few weeks but me.

I would never have even given this guy business after he "lost" the Soos photo, but he had photos from an area that I collect and they are just too rare to pass up no matter the hassle.

As a seller I always leave feedback first - and have noticed that lately a lot of buyers just are not reciprocating. Maybe it's my winning personality?

Old 02-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: CHRIS

I am taking the whole month off, buying or selling. Between EBAY/PAYPAL FEEEEEE'S I think I will make more money standing still.
cnlsports

Old 02-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: 1880nonsports

as always you right on the money. Seller gets paid with good funds he leaves feedback. I do so immediately. Buyers are the core of a seller's business. Like Barry said a little love goes a long way. You can't worry about what might be going on in another person's mind as long as you did the right thing.
JimC - wow. Perhaps a bit shortsighted?
Feedback is essential (at least initially) to the system. You say 42 or 4200 - doesn't matter to you. Funny as that's a bit counter-intuitive. You want such and such guarantees from all the auction houses and grading companies about their practices and whatever. You are concerned with the INTEGRITY of the system. You have said you won't buy from such and such dealer or auction house unless they blah blah blah.... I agree - support - applaud the concept. On eBay one can actually SEE not only the current offerings - but the COMMENTARY on their past transactions - something you can't do with an auction house. **I imagine you look at a seller's feedback before you buy your cards.** Don't you want those numbers and comments to acurately reflect the transactions? If you don't participate in the process I think you are devalueing the numbers. As for the annonimity issue - I think you must be kidding? Usually the title and prices sold implies most of the salient information. If one knows your eBay ID - they can simply do a search - as your ID is attached the item when you are the winning bidder. Only difference is that one could actually see item/description for a slightly longer period of time.
Protection tips for the seller - charge the buyer ACTUAL amount for the services you offer - delivery c. - signature - whatever. There aren't many issues to leave a buyer a negative feedback about - didn't pay - funds were no good, Granted it's annoying and time consuming to go thru the NPB process and unwieldy as well - so if eBay shores this up a bit in tandem with the current policy - some of the apprehension over the new rule might be lessened. I think one should be able to leave a neg for the buyer - but don't see not being able to do so a problem IF eBay takes a stronger stance on non-paying bidders. In the long haul - if MORE bad buyers are weeded out (no you can't get rid of them ALL - they are sort of like cockroaches) - the apprehension felt by sellers over this will abate. It's really all about doing the deal.
As for the buyer - it's all about them - as it should be. They need the protection and feeling of safety. Buyers and sellers need each other. We need each other. Let's try and get along. I'm an eBay collectaholic for life. Says so on my credit card.
EricB - "why would any seller be proactive (accept returns, etc) when they know they buyer will still leave bad feedback." Just to re-confirm my position - Sellers (successful sellers anyway) offer these guarantees to make the buyer feel better about bidding/buying and ultimately realizing a higher price for the item. I guess it depends on one's personal selling philosophy and strategies. Good item - good description - good feedback - willingness to stand behind the product - priceless.
My last thought is that I really don't care as a buyer about getting feedback - EXCEPT that it's an emotional issue. When I bid on something I'm gonna pay for it and don't really care if the seller is sweating thru the transaction because I might have low feedback. It bugs me that the seller isn't leaving it for me but that's about it. On the opposite side - as a seller - if I did what should be done - and the idea of feedback based safety is an issue - dabnabit the buyer should leave me the feedback............

(small edit for clarity although that might just be a dream deferred)

Old 02-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Just for the record, Keith Olbermann NEVER leaves feedback for anyone either so you got good company Jim.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony N.

<<Do I really want sellers studying every transaction I have made in the last three months analyzing what I will pay for certain types of cards?>>

Jim- vcp now shows the buyer and seller of every graded card, so whether feedback has been left or not the info is still there.

I agree with Barry- as a seller, I leave feedback as soon as payment is received. It lets the buyer know that I've gotten it, and that the item is being shipped out.
As a buyer I leave feedback as soon as I get everything ok- again, it lets the other party know I"ve got it and am happy, and I also use it as a sort of checklist to know what I"ve recieved- if I've left feedback, it's in hand, somewhere.
It irks me a bit when a seller requests I leave feedback before they will, but I don't give it much more than a passing thought. If I'm not happy with something- they took a month to ship, or packaged the item very poorly- I just won't leave feedback. I've only left a few negs, but those were well deserved. In those cases I certainly didn't worry about retaliation- if I'm at 99.8 it's really not going to matter.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: 1880nonsports

in which Mr. O collects - he doesn't have to deal with the feedback issue. If the transaction went as it should the seler's already quite happy and will survive the lack of a feedback. If it isn't what it supposed to be - do the names Jimmy Hoffa or Peter Chao ring a bell?

Old 02-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Administrator

There are two Ebays. The "Barry" Ebay where buyers and sellers deal with the kind of product that's more likely to attract problem free people. And the "other" Ebay where it's a free for all where everything is allowed except for eye gouges, biting, and kicks to the groin. It's hard to understand how the other kind of Ebayer lives. One in Shangri-La, the other in fear. Buyers afraid and hating sellers, and sellers afraid and hating buyers. Somebody could make a fortune operating an escrow service for exchanging feedback.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Keith actually is not permitted to leave feedback due to his job. He is not allowed to endorse a product, and feedback in a roundabout way is an endorsement (of course, he could just say "thank you" but why quibble).

Old 02-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Once paid I email my customer and thank them and tell them I will be shipping the item out the next day. I usually just reply to the email paypal sends. I am able to see thier first name that way too.

For buyers that I know I leave feedback first, for those unknown to me I leave it after they have left it for me or emailed me telling me that they have the item and are satisfied. Then and only then IMO is the transaction completed.

Just becuase you describe something properly does not mean the person on the other end will agree. This can also be said for graded material.

Steve

Old 02-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Actually Keith HAS left 39 feedbacks. The most recent in August, 2006.

Interestingly 5 of the 39 were negs and 4 of the 5 sellers are no longer registered users.

He has received 972 feedbacks, 2 or which were negs.

So given the disparity between feedback received and feedback given I guess Jim is "almost" right.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian

"The seller has to leave it first. When someone pays, you say "thank you." That's an automatic in my book."

Barry, do you leave feedback upon receipt of a large personal check from someone you don't know, or wait until it clears the bank?

Old 02-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Barry...

Hang on a minute there. Keith endorsed the 2004 Topps Cracker Jack cards. That was an endorsement. And I don't doubt he was paid for it. What makes you think he can't endorse something?

I'd hoped to get him to write a forward to a book one day...

Old 02-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Brian, as you know I'm on the side of a seller leaving feedback as soon as the buyer has paid. With that said I will not leave feedback, nor will I ship, until a personal check has cleared.

But, there is always an exception, and that is if I know the buyer and have dealt with him/her before.

I won't speak for Barry but I suspect his answer will be the same.

Steve

Edit: I'm responding to your question only because it is past Barry's bedtime.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Frank- I sent Keith an email after he won something from me, requesting he leave feedback. He told me because of his job he was not permitted.

Brian- just saw your question. Funny thing, I can't even recall getting a large check from an ebay buyer. First, my better pieces go in my catalog auctions; most of my ebay lots sell in the $100-500 range, with only a handful going higher. And 90% of my customers use paypal.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Administrator

in which Mr. O collects - he doesn't have to deal with the feedback issue. If the transaction went as it should the seler's already quite happy and will survive the lack of a feedback. If it isn't what it supposed to be - do the names Jimmy Hoffa or Peter Chao ring a bell?

Add Mr Mint to that group as well.

Steve