NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Default Piano Legs On N172's

Posted By: Matt M

How many George "Piano Legs" Gore varieties are there in the Old Judge card? It seems like every time I look for one on ebay there is a different view of him.

Matt M

edited title to be more specific

Old 02-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

According to SCD there are 10 known variations of George Gore with two different teams.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I think he led the league in hitting a few years before the OJs came out, hence his popularity, and numerous cards.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I don't think any corrolation can be made between popularity and the amount of cards a player has,look at Anson who has 2 poses and then John Roach who pitched one major league game and has 6,or Mike Dorgan who has 17 and was just a common player. Most New York players have a decent amount of poses but thats where the companies main factory was located so it makes sense but plenty of bad players have alot of poses and better players are under represented compared to them.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott

John,

I have a question that you might have an answer to.

How many poses does Dummy Hoy have? I thought there was 5.
Are there other differences to be found such as card variations that are out there that might not be a pose difference, but might just be a different looking card? Different printing styles or various minor other lettering differences would be examples of that. I wouldn't think that those type of differences would count as another pose, but might be a different card I might want to collect. Are those catalogued anywhere?

Thank you in advance,
Scott.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

I've wondered the same thing. Though there are style differences in these two cards I have been told that they only count as one pose.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S,

defer to Jay Miller or someone else, but I'm very intrigued by the different variations. For example, I think if you include all the different variation types, someone like Tommy McCarthy has over 30 examples in the set. I'm not sure which player may have the most if you include all the minutae.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Scott,right now Im at work so I cant give you a great answer but if you look at the 2 cards Steve posted,those are different variations of the same pose. It counts as one pose in the price guides/checklist. A guy can have a few poses in the set but a ton of variations if he had his name was spelled wrong then corrected,or they abbreviated the team name and spelled it out,or if he was re-issued with another team etc etc.

Theres a player named Corcoran in the set who has 2 poses but 6 total variations. The first two variations for each pose have the same style for his name like on the McGuire card(one in script and one written out in a box in the picture) Both of his poses were then reissued the next year when he was with London. The guide only lists 6 variations for him but I know someone who collects his cards and he has variations where the old judge ad box up top is in different spots. Basically its a variation of a variation

Old 02-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Okay...pose and caption variations are different.

When I was originally putting together my Phillies list I had at least two references that showed a numbering system for Old Judges (one was a Beckett Almanac that lifted it's OJ info. from another source and I think the second might have been an old article or newsletter from Lew Lipsett). An example is a number like 107-7b...The first number referred to a specific player. The next number after the dash referred to the pose. The letter referred to the caption. Some players do not have caption differences so they are just listed by player number and pose. Oh, and there are still pose and caption variations being found today. Since I created my master Phillies list in 1996, I have come across two new caption and pose variations for Phillies.

Here is a Phillie example of this from my wantlist. Player 153 is Sid Farrar. Then split into poses and captions.

153-1b Farrar (fielding, hands head high, "Philadelphia"), 153-1c Farrar (fielding, hands head high,
"Philadelphias"), 153-2a Farrar (fielding grounder, "Phila"), 153-2c Farrar (fielding grounder,
name correct, "Philadelphias"), 153-2e Farraer (fielding grounder, name incorrect,
"Philadelphias"), 153-3b Farrar (right arm at belt, w/ cap, "Philadelphia"), 153-3c Farrar (right
arm at belt, w/ cap, "Phil"), 153-3d Farrar (right hand at belt, w/ cap, name correct,
"Philadelphias"), 153-3e Farrer (right arm at belt, w/ cap, name incorect, "Philadelphias"),
153-4a Farrar (fielding, hands chin high, "Phila"), 153-4b Farrar (fielding, hands chin high, "Philadelphia"), 153-5a Farrar (fielding, hands ankle high, "Phila"), 153-5b Farrar (fielding, hands ankle high, "Philadelphia"), 153-5c Farrar (fielding, hands ankle high, "Philadelphias"), 153-6a Farrar (arms folded, no cap, "Phila"), 153-6b Farrar (arms folded, no cap, "Philadelphia"), 153-6c Farrar (arms folded, no cap, "Philadelphias"), 153-7 Farrar (hands on thighs, looking at ball head high)

Hope this helps a little.
Joshua

PS Why Farrar had so many poses and caption changes is beyond me!

Old 02-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

Here's a variation from the ones posted above... and FOR SALE too... $500

Old 02-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

My Gore looks different from that one above. Same pose, different caption. Mine has "New Yorks", not "NY's".

Surely there are more Gore cards out there that are different...

Old 02-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

I can't believe everyone forgot old George so quickly...