NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-16-2004, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Default help with psa holders

Posted By: andy

i'm in the midst of obtaining 3 psa graded national chicles. #20 and #22 psa 7. they have a psa label that is printed with a compact bar code and compact printing. the psa id #'s are 03144420 and 03144427. the psa labels appear to be similar to ones i'm familiar with. the other is a psa 6 bronko nagurski. the nagurski's psa label is difeerent from the other two. the bar code is much longer and the printing is not as condensed. the bronko's psa id is 06022844. other than the obvious fact that they weren't graded at the same time, can anyone shed some light on this. also, if this is an older psa holder (as i suspect), what is the overall opinion of the grading at that time?? i can send a scan to someone, but i don't know how to post. sorry. thanks in advance to all!!

Old 01-16-2004, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

[q]also, if this is an older psa holder (as i suspect), what is the overall opinion of the grading at that time?[/q]

There is no single, consistent answer to your question. Although, in general, it appears that many of the cards graded in that era were perhaps graded somewhat liberally vis a vis current standards -- it is also true that when professional grading was first introduced -- that many of the nicest cards were graded then.

Bottom line: buy the card and not the holder. Incidentally, if you want the old font re-holdered, PSA will perform that service for a $5 fee.

I have seen numerous examples of old PSA graded that appear slightly overgraded. Additionally -- some of the nicest vintage common cards I own were graded 8+ years ago. So it depends...

Old 01-16-2004, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

If you feel comfortable with this issue (i.e - you can spot trimming,etc.) and you feel you are paying the right amount for the card (not the holder), then go for it.

Another positive - I would be a lot more comfortable with a PSA6 Nagurski than a PSA7 or 8.

Old 01-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: botn

In general I would feel more comfortable with PSA graded card that were graded up until 2 years ago. Cannot say that buying cards that were graded within the last 2 years provides the same level of comfort with all of the problems that have come up over that time.