NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-07-2018, 03:46 PM
Jay

just a couple 1s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magie.jpg (13.0 KB, 563 views)
File Type: jpg Johnson P42.jpg (18.1 KB, 562 views)
File Type: jpg Nap Portrait Hindu.jpg (17.5 KB, 566 views)
Old 05-07-2018, 03:54 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Wow!

Awesome pickups everyone!

I was after a bunch of postwar stuff as that is what I have collected.

To involve my kids in the hobby, we started collecting Pirates team sets from 1952-1973. Been at that for a few years - it's been awesome and fun (Stupid - 1952 Tony Bartirome! - probably never get that one)- my 11 year old has been really into it. He loves going to shows and perusing auction catalogs. He mentioned to me recently that he would like to start collecting some of the "older" cards - like the T206, etc. Then I read the post about the T3's REA was offering. Then I looked at them. Then I got attached! Then I won 3 of them. Looking forward to surprising my son with them. Not being familiar with the nuances of the issue - Is what REA posted about the "no offer back" thing accurate?

I also got a couple of postwar goodies - 59 Bazooka box (Mantle) - thought I got a great deal on that one - crease not withstanding, 59 salesman sample panel (Mantle) - someone else was fighting hard for that one, and the Exhibit advertising posters.

Any thoughts on the Heritage PSA 9 Mantle going for a record almost 3 million a week ago and then the REA 8 "only" selling for 300k, an 84K drop from what Heritage sold the same flip for last August??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T3-1.jpg (77.3 KB, 566 views)
File Type: jpg T3-2.jpg (77.5 KB, 563 views)
File Type: jpg T3-3.jpg (77.4 KB, 564 views)
File Type: jpg bazooka m.jpg (77.6 KB, 564 views)

Last edited by hcv123; 05-07-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:55 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
LOL but au contraire, I have bought quite a few cards from Board members, and none were discounted by any means. In REA though the cards seem to go into orbit.
Of course it depends on what you want, but as someone who just bargain hunts for resale I loved the two lots I won.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-07-2018, 04:03 PM

Default A couple

Of things
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1954 Aaron BGS 7.jpg (77.3 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg 1906 Philadelphia Athletics Paddle Game.jpg (70.1 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg 1906 Philadelphia Athletics Paddle Game Back.jpg (72.8 KB, 390 views)

Last edited by bobfreedman; 05-07-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Great Bazooka Mantle. I have seen only one other one that had the tab although I am sure there are others. Speaking of the tab, I wonder why it says the complete set is 9 players when it's something like 23?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-07-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:18 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Thanks

Quote:
Great Bazooka Mantle. I have seen only one other one that had the tab although I am sure there are others. Speaking of the tab, I wonder why it says the complete set is 9 players when it's something like 23?
I have had my eye on these for a long time. I have been an under bidder in the past. I am aware of 3 other 1959 complete boxes with Mantle - could there be another 1 or 2 or 3 - maybe. Regarding the "9 players". Bazooka first issued the set with just 9 Superstar players. Not sure why (presumably because it sold well) they later added 14 more - These are the super tough short prints.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:19 PM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
I was going hard for the D350-1 Ruth... always a card I wanted for my collection, but alas, I lost it with 2 minutes to go so ended up the bridesmaid. I was able to pick this up, however.
That is tough losing a card like the D350-1 Standard Biscuit Ruth at the last minute, but at least you still got a nice consolation prize. I honestly was expecting the Ruth to sell for another bid or two as it was a very nice looking card and so, so rare with that back. I always thought that this specific back (along with D329 Weils, D352 Morehouses and H801-9 Globes) was cool since Burdick saw fit to give it is own ACC designation, while most of the rest are all lumped into the M101-5/4 number.

That Goudey advertising sheet is beautiful. I am surprised that REA did not offer more information regarding the restoration that they mentioned in their write up. It sounds like they are the ones who help facilitate the restoration. It would have been nice to have seen before and after pictures along with the "treatment report" that should have been supplied by the restorer.

Last edited by robertsmithnocure; 05-08-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:21 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
that's funny! to each their own I guess!
Old 05-07-2018, 04:23 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post

To involve my kids in the hobby, we started collecting Pirates team sets from 1952-1973. Been at that for a few years - it's been awesome and fun (Stupid - 1952 Tony Bartirome! - probably never get that one)- my 11 year old has been really into it. He loves going to shows and perusing auction catalogs. He mentioned to me recently that he would like to start collecting some of the "older" cards - like the T206, etc. Then I read the post about the T3's REA was offering. Then I looked at them. Then I got attached! Then I won 3 of them. Looking forward to surprising my son with them. Not being familiar with the nuances of the issue - Is what REA posted about the "no offer back" thing accurate?

I also got a couple of postwar goodies - 59 Bazooka box (Mantle) - thought I got a great deal on that one - crease not withstanding, 59 salesman sample panel (Mantle) - someone else was fighting hard for that one, and the Exhibit advertising posters.

Any thoughts on the Heritage PSA 9 Mantle going for a record almost 3 million a week ago and then the REA 8 "only" selling for 300k, an 84K drop from what Heritage sold the same flip for last August??
Gorgeous box Howard. It's such a stunning card that I can only imagine what it looks like in person in full box form.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I have had my eye on these for a long time. I have been an under bidder in the past. I am aware of 3 other 1959 complete boxes with Mantle - could there be another 1 or 2 or 3 - maybe. Regarding the "9 players". Bazooka first issued the set with just 9 Superstar players. Not sure why (presumably because it sold well) they later added 14 more - These are the super tough short prints.
Ah, I get it, thanks. One of my favorite cards in the world, and in the scheme of things they cost very little.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:01 PM
James

Quote:
LOL but au contraire, I have bought quite a few cards from Board members, and none were discounted by any means. In REA though the cards seem to go into orbit.
I can confirm that Peter is a very reasonable buyer on the BST board and will pay strong if the card warrants it. However, using a Spaceballs analogy, he will not go up to "ludicrous speed!" I can not say the same for whoever spent $50k more on a Mantle Dice Game card than a decent Ruth rookie, but maybe I just don't get it.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:11 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansaad View Post
I was very pleased to pick this one up. Wish I could have grabbed another BB or two, but the prices have accelerated. Good for me as an owner of a high grade portrait, but kinda deflating for my chances of putting together a set of these.

Nice card! The portrait 7.5 went for over $10k - a high for that card.

The glove in air, throwing, and leaping no scoreboard cards were steals imo.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 05-07-2018, 05:13 PM
“the bambino”

Default thanks for nothing!

my wife wishes to thank to everyone who outbid me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg struck out again.jpg (17.7 KB, 526 views)
Old 05-07-2018, 05:22 PM
Banned

great stuff guys

Last edited by RedsFan1941; 05-07-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:22 PM

Default Rea

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon512 View Post
I can confirm that Peter is a very reasonable buyer on the BST board and will pay strong if the card warrants it. However, using a Spaceballs analogy, he will not go up to "ludicrous speed!" I can not say the same for whoever spent $50k more on a Mantle Dice Game card than a decent Ruth rookie, but maybe I just don't get it.
+1 Jimbo!
Old 05-07-2018, 05:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Thanks James -- who btw is a real pleasure to deal with and has great taste in cards.

Old 05-07-2018, 05:38 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Some very nice items on the board here guys! Wow. I really liked several cards like the blank back Wagners that started the thread and the Mantle Bazooka complete box. Was that a Magie error I saw too? Nice.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 05-07-2018, 05:42 PM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:

Such a cool box. I have always wondered the story behind someone saving the entire box all of these years.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:50 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Peich View Post
Murnane has been an elusive card for me and leaves 21 more cards for me to complete the T204 set. Ditto with McCreery who now makes it 59/75 for T211s.

Chris--I knew you'd chase Ruth hard. Congratulations on a great pick-up! You're going to have to sell lots-o'-cards in Cleveland. Ha-ha-ha!

Cheers,
Mike
Love that Red Sun! Studying them, getting to know them, and beginning to appreciate how tough that card is!
Old 05-07-2018, 05:55 PM
pete ullman

great pick ups everyone...I got nuttin!
Old 05-07-2018, 06:00 PM
Joshua

Default 3 I picked up from the auction

Check already in the mail. Can wait to see these babies.

My first Kotton!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M101.5 WAJO.jpg (8.7 KB, 523 views)
File Type: jpg MCobb.jpg (8.6 KB, 524 views)
File Type: jpg MRuth.jpg (10.3 KB, 520 views)
Old 05-07-2018, 06:05 PM
Seth

Won two lots, this one is my new favorite:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg item_49053_1.jpg (72.2 KB, 517 views)
Old 05-07-2018, 06:17 PM

Default Fleischmann Bakery Tris Speaker

item_49788_1.jpg
Old 05-07-2018, 06:44 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Could someone explain to me how to 'grab' a pic of the card I won?

Thanks

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-07-2018, 06:48 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Right click on the picture on the website and click "Copy link address". Then come to Net54, start a post and click the Picture button (mountain with a yellow background icon), then right-click and paste the address into the box. That will create the image.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Right click on the picture on the website and click "Copy link address". Then come to Net54, start a post and click the Picture button (mountain with a yellow background icon), then right-click and paste the address into the box. That will create the image.

Thank John...I just knew a Tech Man would know.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-07-2018, 06:56 PM

Default The only card I bid on:

I'm in trouble if the card is the same size as the image below.

IMO, I overpaid, but I can't seem to resist them...its not like I going to collect the entire set especially since one of our members is not willing to part will his Frank Seele. Oh, well, this is number eight...let the 'set builders' come to me!

Last edited by clydepepper; 05-07-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Thank John...I just knew a Tech Man would know.
Or not, look at the size of that damn image.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:00 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Quote:
Lol
Old 05-07-2018, 07:02 PM
Banned

huge card
Old 05-07-2018, 07:02 PM
Bob B.

Default Lot 286

If anyone here won the lot of 6 Pirate E125's I'd be interested in at least one of them.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
huge card

and a price to match.

It seems my translation of John's directions had a flaw...

Last edited by clydepepper; 05-07-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:14 PM
Todd Schultz

Is that a placemat?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:14 PM
Mike

I won a M116 Plank. I was outbid on the M116 Wagner and a Sports Kings Ruth. I really wanted the Ruth, maybe next time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plank.jpg (7.2 KB, 717 views)
Old 05-07-2018, 07:17 PM

Congrats all. BTW, I wired $$ this morning and already got shipping confirmation, to be delivered tmrw. Now that is service!
Old 05-07-2018, 07:25 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Next time he should copy the image link from the thumbnail. ;-)
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:28 PM

Have you ever sold a card and later wish you hadn't. Well, finally got it back now years later as my only win - and of course at a much higher price. It was the 1939 PB Joe Dimaggio PSA 5. Not a rare card I know, but looks nice - and now back in my collection.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:47 PM
Dave_Berg

error

Last edited by Stonepony; 05-07-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:00 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
More than I wanted to pay for an A, but its very clean appearance-wise and I needed to cross this one off my list and Ruth isn't getting any cheaper. Happy to make this #50 in my M101-6 set...
IMHO, a very, very good purchase, Chris. That is one very tough card in ANY condition. Twenty K well-spent! Congrats,

Larry
Old 05-07-2018, 09:08 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Congrats all. BTW, I wired $$ this morning and already got shipping confirmation, to be delivered tmrw. Now that is service!
These guys are incredible. I literally emailed Brian to ask for wire instructions and I got a tracking number 30 minutes later.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:08 PM

Great pick ups, everyone.

I won this proof, very happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T206 Spencer Proof.jpg (75.6 KB, 719 views)
Old 05-07-2018, 09:09 PM
Larry

Quote:
+1 there, Pete. I was the under-bidder on the '54-56 PSA 9 Spic & Span Aaron, at $8400 (it went for $9k with the BP) and was amazed. One of the 3 9's went for $3600 with BP at a Heritage auction less than one week earlier (probably the worst of the 3, though, with the ink too dark) and one changed hands on ebay for quite likely in the $6K range just a day or so before REA ended (opening bid: $7,000; auction didn't go forward because card "no longer available," so I'm guessing $6K and change).

May we fare better in the future and highest regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 05-07-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:10 PM
Brian Eichhorn

I was able to get a T205 lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg item_49230_1.jpg (76.5 KB, 701 views)
Old 05-07-2018, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
These guys are incredible. I literally emailed Brian to ask for wire instructions and I got a tracking number 30 minutes later.
sure, but I bet you were really really tired today.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:15 PM
Larry

Quote:
Hundreds of Ruth rookies (with different backs, of course), and ONE Topps Dice Game Mantle graded. And Mantle has been keeping close company with Ruth, a phenomena which those of us who also study sabermetric analysis (primarily under Professor Bill James, though not excluding other authors) will not disagree with.

Highest regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 05-07-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:40 PM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
Hundreds of Ruth rookies (with different backs, of course), and ONE Topps Dice Game Mantle graded. And Mantle has been keeping close company with Ruth, a phenomena which those of us who also study sabermetric analysis (primarily under Professor Bill James, though not excluding other authors) will not disagree with.

Highest regards,

Larry
I don’t think there are hundreds of Ruth’s rookies. 71 graded by PSA and 41 graded by SGC. There are probably as much if not more resubmission than there are raw. Not exactly hundreds. There are 1235 52 Topps mantles graded by PSA alone, which is 10x the amount of total graded Ruth rookies (all backs).
Old 05-07-2018, 10:33 PM

Wow, super nice proof, Michael. I didn't even see that one in the auction.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:32 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post

Highest regards,

Larry
Larry-Time to recount. If you ignore Sporting News ad backs(they are not broken out from blank backs), there have been 35 Ruth rookies graded, across all ad backs.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:38 PM
Travis Wise

Default Came away with this

I won the 1923-24 Thomas Gutierrez album and could not be happier! These usually got for quite a bit more. Condition is not the best, but who really cares when you have something this awesome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg item_49812_1.jpg (82.6 KB, 649 views)
Old 05-07-2018, 11:51 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Great pick up Travis. Congratulations!