NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-19-2003, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Default E-96 questions

Posted By: 18colt

I picked up my first E-96 at the National (Karger). I got my 2nd on eBay shortly thereafter (Mack). 28 to go. How hard is it to complete this set, if condition is not a concern? Is Lajoie the biggest name remaining after Mack in terms of scarcity/popularity? Any info would be great. My only reference is the 1986 Beckett Price Guide (which revealed to me that Mack and Lajoie might be the toughest to acquire). Thanks for any info, and thanks for welcoming me to the board (re: my Eagle comments from last week).

Old 08-19-2003, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Default E-96 questions

Posted By: Ben

e96 is a relatively easy set to complete, primarily because there are only 30 cards, but also because of a lack of high $ cards (it doesn't contain any a Cobb, Wagner Mathewson, etc). As far as I know, none of the cards are especially tougher to find that others. For these reasons I think its a great choice for someone starting their first pre-war set. Good luck!

Old 08-19-2003, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Default E-96 questions

You'll see a Lajoie on ebay every once in a while- not an exceedingly rare card at all. Tinker is the toughest card in the set I think. Mordecai Brown is tough too- and a great pose to boot!

Old 08-19-2003, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Default E-96 questions

Posted By: 18colt

Thanks for the input. It's actually my 2nd pre-war set. I'm 2/3 of the way done with the T-206 set (obviously, no Wagner, Plank, Magie, Doyle, O'Hara - but I have Demmitt). Maybe I'll get lucky.

But the E-96, I think is different, because of the red printed checklist on the backs, and the inclusion of Connie Mack.

Old 08-19-2003, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Default E-96 questions

email me at fisherboy7@hotmail.com, I have something you might like.

Old 08-19-2003, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Default E-96 questions

Posted By: brian p

Just to throw in my opinion--the E96 Philadelphia Caramels are one of the more readily available of the small size 'E' cards. Not as easy to come by as the bulk of the E90-1 American Caramel set (though there are plenty of tough cards in this issue), or the E92 Dockmans, or the E93 Standard Caramel, or even the E91 American issues. Also, the 'sister' Philadelphia Caramel set, the E95's, are easier to come by. Having said all this, they are still readily available compared to the other candy issues. And I have always found the two Philadelphia Caramel sets to have the most consistently attractive artwork of all the 'E' issues. The E95's have a lot of top name players in the 25 card set, including Cobb, Wagner, Mathewson and Plank, so that makes it more difficult monetarily to complete a set.

The E96's are a good choice for set completion for the more budget-minded, because only Mack and Lajoie will set you back much money, while the set is just scarce enough to make it a decent challenge. The Tinker and Meyers cards might be a little more difficult to come by, but that might just be one of those personal collecting illusions that pop up when pursuing a set. Best of luck on your new collecting challenge.

Brian

Old 08-19-2003, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Default E-96 questions

Posted By: petecld

When I was putting my web site together I had collectors send me list of what they thought were harder to find E96s. Not all lists were the exactly the same but most were very close to each other. NOTE: These collectors were active pre-ebay.:

1. Tinker
2. Kling
3. Clarke (last offered on ebay???)
4. Brown
5. Baker
6. Herzog
7. Davis

No one mentioned Meyers but a couple collectors have told me they found Thomas and Rucker harder to find but I couldn't say that has been my experience. As mentioned previously, there aren't ANY E96s that should be considered rare and the set is a good choice if you want to complete a caramel set.

Old 08-19-2003, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Default E-96 questions

Posted By: Tim N

Not a whole lot else to add to other comments-- except to reiterate that E96s are a great first E9x set to put together-- I did mine (lowish grade but not trashed) for about $600 total, which suited me just fine. I found Tinker the toughest, but not by a wide margin. All cards seem about equally available.

Good luck with it--

Tim

Old 08-19-2003, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Default E-96 questions

Posted By: BcD

the horizontal Hertzog is tough. Also,to answer you Pete,David Bryan ( of course) had a Clarke with the very cool and Vintage bunting pose about two months ago but I a sure you have a nicer one than the PSA 3 he posted. I have a 4 listed on the PSA Registry. Guess I'll check the SGC registry and see if you have one noted.

Old 08-20-2003, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Default E-96 questions

Posted By: brian p

When I mentioned Meyers earlier, I meant the horizontal Herzog (come on everybody, do the horizontal Herzog!) Strike one up for faulty memory.

Brian

Old 08-21-2003, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Default E-96 questions

Posted By: Scott M

In terms of difficulty my own opinion is:

Tinker
Thomas
Adams

Rucker is a Brooklyn Dodger and that seems to make him a little harder to track down at a decent price, though I've seen several. And Clarke and Brown are both HOFers at a decent price so that makes the cards more popular though I've seen several of both players. But I think that the entire set is doable, you just have to be a little patient.

Regards

Old 08-22-2003, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Default E-96 questions

Posted By: runscott

...since my response differs from that of others, but here it is anyway. The following were the only ones that gave me trouble - in fact, I owned most of the rest in weak condition and was even able to upgrade via ebay and friends. When I find Mack or Lajoie, they are always overpriced for the condition - Lajoie shows up more often. I don't recall ever seeing a Tinker, so I would say he's the most difficult. My Clarke was trashed, but cheap

and I must say..."Brown is Beautiful"

Very difficult: Tinker,Kling,Mack
Difficult: Brown,Clarke,Lajoie