NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Default Interesting m116 display cards - opinions wanted

Posted By: Brian McQueen

I won this interesting little group of m116 display pieces off of Ebay a couple weeks back. They were listed individually, however, I wanted to win all six that were posted because I was kind of curious to see if they fit together in any way. As you can see, they all fit together vertically as well as horizontally, which means they came off of some sort of a sheet originally, not just a strip. Another interesting thing is that they're very thick! Like three or four times the thickness of a normal m116. The cardboard on the back is brownish and very sturdy.

I was just curious if anyone had seen anything like these "advertising cards" before or if any full m116 display sheets are known to exist.

Thanks in advance for the opinions!

Brian
redmaccie@hotmail.com

Old 08-23-2006, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

those are way cool!!! Sorry I can't give any info...but awesome!

pete ullman

Old 08-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Brian,

This is unrelated, but thought I'd mention it anyways.

As you know well, these images are the same used for the beloved e103 set.
Check out the background of the m116 blueback dooin in relation to the others. It's exactly the same in the e103 set. Just thought it was kind of neat that the printing difference carried over into this set.

Nice pieces by the way. They're mysteries for now, but maybe you'll find another clue. Perhaps it was a "stand up" display piece?

Hope you're doing well.

Rob

Old 08-23-2006, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

I own a similar McQuillan in nicer condition, very thick cardboard. Never sure what it is but now I know who was next to him!

Joshua

Old 08-23-2006, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

the bottom three also appear to have been glued on to something. Ad piece is possible, but also it could have been a 12 card series sheet adhered to something and later cut up, need to see more.

Scott

Old 08-23-2006, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Here's a scan of the back. All 6 cards have paper attached to them.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Turner

I love the m116 cards. The seller said they were from a store display but i don't think he was alive to be in the store at the time. I thought they might be proofs but i don't think they did those like that back then, meaning if it were a proof it would be individual cards and not together. They might have been from someone who worked at the factory and swiped them before they got cut. It is interesting that there are paint dots on one of the cards. Anyway they are not gradable because of condition. I think more research should be done on Sporting Life cards because they are beautiful.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

Wow I see amazing things just about everyday on this board. The thickness of the pieces would seem to indicate some sort of adversment piece either as store display or salesman samples. It could also have been a paste up piece to gauge quality control.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

I was the underbidder on the Collins. That's the only one I wanted, but you could tell that these all fit together. IIRC I think he had the Chase listed as Davis.

Cool cards. I'm guessing that this guy is probably right that these were part of a counter display, but who really knows? Maybe part of a test sheet?

Old 08-24-2006, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

My guess is that it was a sheet pulled from production....the advertisement cuts, like the one I have and the many I have seen, don't have the names on them.....neat items...

edited to add...maybe the thickness is due to them being glued onto another piece for display after the pre-production sheet was obtained?