NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-25-2018, 02:00 PM
Jay Cee

Default Auction wins (LOTG/SCP/Goldin)

Saturday night and early Sunday morning had many lots close. Some spirited bidding to. The Cy Young Cabinets were really amazing along with the Bishop Team cards with SCP. LOTG had a great offering of postcards mixed in along with type 1 photos and many other cards from all decades. So, what did you win?
Old 03-25-2018, 02:13 PM
Todd Schultz

Let me get in early before the big guns sound off. I have no idea why I landed this one- I have never been into postcards because I have enough vices already. I really didn't even notice this one until about an hour before close of opening bids, but decided that it was a great piece of Americana that needed to be mine.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:25 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Default From the other thread...

Finally filled this hole in my women in baseball collection. Have been hoping to pick one up for quite a while. Not the best condition wise but the price was good.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:27 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

These are my two favorite pickups for my personal collection, the Nadja makes #43 and I just liked the Mack since I first saw one in REA last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bemis Nadja.jpg (8.1 KB, 1015 views)
File Type: jpg Mack PC.jpg (9.5 KB, 1013 views)
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 03-25-2018, 03:11 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Very happy to land another e98 HOFer.

AndyH

Attached Images
File Type: jpg e98 Brown.jpg (78.9 KB, 993 views)

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 03-25-2018, 03:34 PM
Eric
Eric

Wanted either Cy Young so bad, but my wife shot me the look early in and that was that. Lots of neat stuff!
Old 03-25-2018, 03:46 PM

Default From LOTG

Very excited to be adding this Burke & Atwell PC to my White Sox type set!

Old 03-25-2018, 04:43 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default Kimball champions

set of four baseball. I have a couple/three dupes in better condition if anyone's interested. I also paid more than anyone in history for the N162 Beecher. I was tired of chasing after quite a while.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beecher.jpg (75.2 KB, 943 views)
File Type: jpg kimball.jpg (29.3 KB, 941 views)
Old 03-25-2018, 07:59 PM
Jack Vernon

From LOTG Auctions
Old 03-25-2018, 08:09 PM
Scott S

Not my normal cup of tea, but I thought this 3-page handwritten Walter Johnson letter from ca. 1910 was too cool to pass up! Great baseball content about a potential barnstorming tour in the offseason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walter johnson letter lo.jpg (79.5 KB, 836 views)
Old 03-25-2018, 08:31 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

I was amazed that the 1991 Desert Shield set went for $106k. It's the #1 set in the registry, but wow.

http://www.milehighcardco.com/1991_T...-LOT55378.aspx
Old 03-25-2018, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post
I was amazed that the 1991 Desert Shield set went for $106k. It's the #1 set in the registry, but wow.

http://www.milehighcardco.com/1991_T...-LOT55378.aspx
i am not a registry guy. how can a set have a rating higher than 10? (this one has a 10.93.)
Old 03-25-2018, 08:52 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Not my normal cup of tea, but I thought this 3-page handwritten Walter Johnson letter from ca. 1910 was too cool to pass up! Great baseball content about a potential barnstorming tour in the offseason.
Glad someone here won it. Sold for quite a bit less than I was hoping for (Johnson signed items seem to have softened across the board).
Old 03-25-2018, 09:02 PM

Default This is why we collect

I love the enthusiasm, so many words spoken above that I couldn't have said better. "Not my normal cup of tea but too cool to pass up", "I've paid more than anyone in history but sick of chasing", "my wife shot me the look", "finally filled the hole", and last but not least "a great piece of Americana that had to me mine". All of these resonate with every one of us at one time or another. Great job everyone on picking on some amazing pieces. For me it was the Ty Cobb exhibition game agreement. My first piece of any Ty Cobb material and I will cherish it. Life's a garden, dig it.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:08 PM
Anthøny N. ex

I won a couple of N162’s, right about what I figured I’d pay
Anyone got any more for sale?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1A750DEE-582E-4661-9131-1C1DFE5BA131.jpg (8.3 KB, 741 views)
File Type: jpg 3798B5FE-307C-4E52-88D2-E430DE421881.jpg (8.5 KB, 727 views)
Old 03-25-2018, 09:38 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Congrats to all!

Happy to add the following cabinets of Jake Virtue from his own collection. I have a number of Detroit Wolverine NL items (1881-1888) but very few International Association items (minor league club would retain the same name, some of the same players/manager, and play at same park as the NL team after it disbanded at the close of 1888). This is my first picture of IA player in proper uniform which will now join a ticket book and several letters discussing player signings to kick off the 1889 season. I do have nearly all the 1889 IA Detroit Old Judges but they are all team change cards (not shown in actual Detroit uniform). As a bonus, the lot also includes a June 2, 1940 newspaper article of an elder Jake holding these very cabinets.

Edited to add, all these Detroit International Association guys were teammates of Jake Virtue and would have worn the uniform above (except Kid Baldwin, that is an error card, didn't actually play for Detroit).

- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers

Last edited by Joe_G.; 03-25-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:56 PM
Kevin

Default Detroit cabinets

Joe_G..... awesome Detroit cabinets. I was just down in that area (Woodward Avenue & Larned) last night for dinner.

Wanted:
updated March 3, 2024
Detroit Tigers American Caramel & National Caramel

For sale or trade
updated October 24, 2018
Old 03-26-2018, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasickjj View Post
I love the enthusiasm, so many words spoken above that I couldn't have said better. "Not my normal cup of tea but too cool to pass up", "I've paid more than anyone in history but sick of chasing", "my wife shot me the look", "finally filled the hole", and last but not least "a great piece of Americana that had to me mine". All of these resonate with every one of us at one time or another. Great job everyone on picking on some amazing pieces. For me it was the Ty Cobb exhibition game agreement. My first piece of any Ty Cobb material and I will cherish it. Life's a garden, dig it.
And don't forget this one "Sometimes you gotta say WTF and go for it"
Old 03-26-2018, 05:16 AM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Saturday night and early Sunday morning had many lots close. Some spirited bidding to. The Cy Young Cabinets were really amazing along with the Bishop Team cards with SCP. LOTG had a great offering of postcards mixed in along with type 1 photos and many other cards from all decades. So, what did you win?
This weekend was a good one for my Matty collection!

What'd you get JC??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Matty bain.jpg (20.1 KB, 653 views)
File Type: jpg 1906 Matty Ulman.jpg (8.9 KB, 651 views)
File Type: jpg Matty underwood postcard.jpg (9.7 KB, 656 views)
Old 03-26-2018, 05:58 AM
Jason Seidl

Default auction winnings

Nabbed the T209 series 1s....the obsession continues
Old 03-26-2018, 06:06 AM

My LOTG win and latest addition to my Pirates collection:
arky.jpg

Completed - 1967 Topps Baseball, 1969 Greiner Tires Pirates, 1964 Topps Giants

Working on - 1967 Topps Test Stickers - Pirates 31/33 just need the 2 Clemente’s

Also looking for a 1970's Spalding Advisory Staff photo of Richie Hebner.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:51 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Let me get in early before the big guns sound off. I have no idea why I landed this one- I have never been into postcards because I have enough vices already. I really didn't even notice this one until about an hour before close of opening bids, but decided that it was a great piece of Americana that needed to be mine.
One of the great all time sets. And incredibly rare. You're very lucky to have grabbed this one; there aren't many people who have a Brush PC: 29 total cards graded by SGC and PSA.

Last edited by calvindog; 03-26-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:06 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default well Griffins.....

You might have paid more if I hadn't stopped on both and you might have paid less if I wasn't bidding at all on those N162's. Such is life. A favorite set of mine. I sold my extra framed album but have an extra album or two on the shelf should someone want one. Can never have too many Goodwin items.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:18 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
Glad someone here won it. Sold for quite a bit less than I was hoping for (Johnson signed items seem to have softened across the board).
Sorry it didn't work out as well for you as the consignor. I expected to wake up to an outbid notification since it was such a great item - I'll certainly enjoy it!
Old 03-26-2018, 07:18 AM
Al Jurgela

Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasickjj View Post
+1 Love it as well.

Thought about the Cobbs, but the bank account is drawn close to nil.
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 03-26-2018, 08:09 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Also grabbed these at Lelands. The Trouppe contract is just terrific. One of my favorite players.

And has anyone seen this before? It seems to have been issued at a banquet for the 1929 Cubs just as their season was starting. I have not seen one of these before. The 1929 Cubs, to me, were the greatest Cubs team of all time who had the misfortune of having to play the greatest team ever assembled, the 1929 A's, in the World Series.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:30 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Default LOTG Win

I've always found this image to be haunting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15158a_med.jpg (9.0 KB, 626 views)
Old 03-26-2018, 08:38 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Do you have any examples of that? Since it's the one thing I pay attention to in autographs, I have to say I haven't seen it. IMHO, your letter, as cool as it was, hit in the middle of what I would have expected, $1,500-$2,000. I don't think I've ever seen a WaJo letter hit 2 grand, and I would say the average of some length goes for around $1,200. If it were my item, like you I would have been hoping for more (don't we always!) considering it's an early one with baseball content, but honestly I think you did OK.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:41 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Do you have any examples of that? Since it's the one thing I pay attention to in autographs, I have to say I haven't seen it. IMHO, your letter, as cool as it was, hit in the middle of what I would have expected, $1,500-$2,000. I don't think I've ever seen a WaJo letter hit 2 grand, and I would say the average of some length goes for around $1,200. If it were my item, like you I would have been hoping for more (don't we always!) considering it's an early one with baseball content, but honestly I think you did OK.
Highest sale price I saw (with some nice baseball content) was this one from Heritage for $4,800. Most others seem to be in Hank's range (no surprise, as he would be the expert on this topic!). I especially enjoyed the length and early date for the one I picked up though!
Old 03-26-2018, 09:47 AM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
This exact letter sold at Hunt for $2500 iirc a couple of years back. I don’t track sales on these items specifically but for early letters I definitely seem to think prices were higher. I could be remembering wrong though.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherbener View Post
This weekend was a good one for my Matty collection!

What'd you get JC??
Amazing! Just those three pieces alone would make for an awesome Mathewson collection.

Also, great Cobb, Sam!
Old 03-26-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
You are correct...that gray background on the Cobb is foreboding. Imagine the difference if the card instead had an Obak blazing sunset.

And not to forget, nice snag too!

Brian
Old 03-26-2018, 10:42 AM
Scott S

Quote:
This exact letter sold at Hunt for $2500 iirc a couple of years back. I don’t track sales on these items specifically but for early letters I definitely seem to think prices were higher. I could be remembering wrong though.
It wasn't Hunt, but Christie's where it sold - $2,500 is correct.

Christies sale link
Old 03-26-2018, 10:53 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I picked up this Dooin OP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E98 Dooin Old Put.jpg (64.7 KB, 643 views)
File Type: jpg E98 Dooin Old Put back.jpg (64.3 KB, 643 views)

Last edited by darwinbulldog; 03-26-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

off the beaten path....1938 Durham Black Sox 8 x 10. sorry for the large scan but if you are on a computer it looks great...
Old 03-26-2018, 11:29 AM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
off the beaten path....1938 Durham Black Sox 8 x 10. sorry for the large scan but if you are on a computer it looks great...
I am on a desktop today and damn that does look amazing. Would love to have that up on my wall.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 03-26-2018, 12:37 PM
Brendan Mullen

off the beaten path....1938 Durham Black Sox 8 x 10. sorry for the large scan but if you are on a computer it looks great..

So you are the one that outbid me.......

Great pickup though. The subjects, clarity, background are all amazing. I don't even collect Negro leagues but an incredible picture for sure!

Last edited by Bpm0014; 03-26-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:52 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Agreed. The clarity is breath taking. Wow.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:14 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
So cool. What are you going to do with it? (display-wise)
Old 03-26-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Awesome Sam.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:49 PM
Ch.ris_Hel.mers

Wow Leon. That is an amazing picture.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:07 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Congrats and very rare compared to the T3.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:56 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
I can see where you would be disappointed with that falloff from the previous sale, but of course it was you and the underbidder taking it to that level then. This time you're out, so it drops down to the next two, or two completely different bidders. As we've all found out, auctions can disappoint sometimes, and those are the ones that seem to stick with us! I don't make a study of it or anything, just pay attention to WaJo items whenever I see them, but overall I would say his autographs in most formats have held steady the past few years, or at least if it's changed, it hasn't been enough for me to notice. One of the recent auctions had a nice check go for $1,600, which is right where they've been since the big run-up about ten years ago and subsequent crash with the financial crisis. For a couple years before that, those checks got up to 3 grand or so.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:11 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Highest sale price I saw (with some nice baseball content) was this one from Heritage for $4,800. Most others seem to be in Hank's range (no surprise, as he would be the expert on this topic!). I especially enjoyed the length and early date for the one I picked up though!
That Heritage letter is off the charts for content, but still a hefty price for a WaJo letter. Yours has a lot going for it, too, with baseball content, great insight into his personality, length, a terrific early signature, and even a beautiful shade of blue ink! I congratulate you on a terrific pickup and sympathize with the consignor, with whom I share the experience of wondering after an auction "where were all the Johnson collectors? I know they're out there, why weren't they bidding on these great items?" Of course, we tend to focus on the disappointments and take the successes for granted.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:21 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Congrats on the wins, some really cool items.

I thought the Wajo letter was going to go for more as well being early career. It was one of my favorite things in the auction.

Huggins did sell it more recently than Christie's....

http://may17.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...l?itemid=16375

But still should have gone higher in my opinion.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:36 PM
Brad Pencil

Default My lone win....

But it's a good one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1916_RedSox_Ruth.jpg (76.1 KB, 590 views)
Old 03-26-2018, 06:53 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkFan70 View Post
Wow Leon. That is an amazing picture.
X2!

Great pic, Leon.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:54 PM
Brendan Mullen

My only win. But I love the pic and the guys with Ruth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8331DFB3-238F-44AF-8A9D-8597F71191F5.jpg (8.6 KB, 566 views)
Old 03-26-2018, 06:59 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Congrats on the wins, some really cool items.

I thought the Wajo letter was going to go for more as well being early career. It was one of my favorite things in the auction.

Huggins did sell it more recently than Christie's....

But still should have gone higher in my opinion.
Boy, that letter sure looked a lot better in your auction! Did you do anything to it, or is it just the photography? I'd guess the staining appears to be reduced by about 2/3 in your picture compared to H & S:

http://loveofthegameauctions.com/Out...-LOT14799.aspx

Last edited by Hankphenom; 03-26-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:04 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Huge shout out and tremendous thanks to Ben W., the Ruth photo maven of all mavens, who pointed out to me the closing day of the LOTG auction the fact that the 1920 Draper & Maynard Uniform Catalog w/Babe Ruth is the ultimate companion piece to a Babe Ruth Red Sox picture I bought a few years ago at another AH. I had been through LOTG on line at least 50+ times, had like 15 bids down, and I never made the connection Ben made. It's pretty great. Here's the link to the uniform catalog (look at Ruth picture) and my photo. Ben, I owe you a few drinks at the National. You have a better eye for this stuff than I do. Very happy to have this.

https://loveofthegameauctions.com/Lo...entoryid=15473
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0131(1).jpg (57.5 KB, 561 views)