NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-25-2017, 07:00 AM
Gary McNabb

Default Help needed - Slab sizes

I'm thinking of getting my Chase candy card back run slabbed ? Being an wood artist I was thinking of making storage boxes to house them. I have a pre-war collection and have only kept one slab intact over the years (Henry Johnson back).
QUESTION......are all the different grading companies have different dimensions of their slabs, height, width and thickness.
I have seen the different sizes for the larger cards, but to start I'm thinking the basic slab size for tobacco, or a candy card ?
Any help would be appreciated.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_813.jpg (13.3 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_812.jpg (13.2 KB, 212 views)
Old 08-25-2017, 08:01 AM
Gary McNabb

I am a retired cancer survivor and my boxes would be for my personal collection. Again I'm retired and just want to put my cards into something special to store them !!!! If they become wanted by friends I probably be willing to trade ????
This is an example of my custom work.....a bag pipers music stand "WIP"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_72e.jpg (14.8 KB, 189 views)
Old 08-25-2017, 08:07 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

The thicknesses do vary. Also there is a guy here who sells nice wood boxes for slabed cards. Wish i remembers his name, but im sure if u search u can find it. There is also a guy who makes wood holders, to make the slabed cards stand up. With different sizes cause psa, bvg and sgc are all diff thicknesses
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:54 AM
Gary McNabb

I saw those boxes when the gentleman made that post. They were made for the commercial market out of plywood. I mill my own wood and want to make special boxes for myself out of only fancy grain hardwoods thatI personally select and do some hand carving of a card on the top to make it difference !!!

Question....my only graded card is this PSA 1922 W575-1 Schang / Henry Johnson back. It measures 3 1/8" x 5 5/16" x 1/4" thick. Could someone measure some others for me ????

Question.....do you think they could be stored on their side to cut down the height of the box ???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1922 W575-1 H-tile.jpg (71.6 KB, 159 views)
Old 08-25-2017, 11:23 AM
Chris

I don't know the sizes off of the top of my head. What company do you plan to go with? If you've got that, I'm sure someone would be willing to measure one of their cards to give you an idea. I don't have much in the way of vintage material.

As for storage, I stack mine and leave them laying flat (face or back of the card down). It might be an option for you as it would mean a much smaller box.

Good luck and look forward to seeing the pictures.

Chris
Old 08-25-2017, 01:21 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
The thicknesses do vary. Also there is a guy here who sells nice wood boxes for slabed cards. Wish i remembers his name, but im sure if u search u can find it. There is also a guy who makes wood holders, to make the slabed cards stand up. With different sizes cause psa, bvg and sgc are all diff thicknesses
There are a few people that have sold custom boxes for cards. Here is a link to one of them I would highly recomend. They make several different designs and sizes. http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=178354
Old 08-25-2017, 06:38 PM
Bob C.

SGC slabs for most regular sized cards are approximately 3-3/8" X 5-1/2" X 5/16" thick. They are slightly larger and thicker than PSA slabs. Do you need dimensions for GAI and Beckett holders also?