NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Ken McMillan

Default E123 Curtis Ireland Candy

I was wondering what the prevalence of certain individual players are in the Curtis Ireland candy set and how common are the cards. I understand that in theory, all players in the V100 Willard's Chocolate set should exist in Curtis Ireland. However I was reading last night that the cards were issued in increments and that the complete set may not have been issued. Also cards that were turned in to the company for the prize were to have been stamped as used and returned to the senders after the contest. Has anyone ever seen a cancelled card? Does anyone have a list of the cards actually issued? I have seen a few individual cards here and there. Nobody has ever discussed owning a complete set. Comments?
Old 12-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
I was wondering what the prevalence of certain individual players are in the Curtis Ireland candy set and how common are the cards. I understand that in theory, all players in the V100 Willard's Chocolate set should exist in Curtis Ireland. However I was reading last night that the cards were issued in increments and that the complete set may not have been issued. Also cards that were turned in to the company for the prize were to have been stamped as used and returned to the senders after the contest. Has anyone ever seen a cancelled card? Does anyone have a list of the cards actually issued? I have seen a few individual cards here and there. Nobody has ever discussed owning a complete set. Comments?
This is one of those sets that is too scarce for it's own good. I haven't heard about them being issued in increments but it's certainly feasible. I have probably seen close to 100 of these cards and haven't seen any that I could tell were canceled. That too wouldn't surprise me though. I am not sure a positive ID'd list is out there but there may be. I don't know of a complete set either but there could be one. This is a set that probably has more questions than answers, so far. I do know that Curtis Ireland was a St. Louis candy company and they did do quite a bit of advertising as the boxes and ads do pop up from time to time. It took me a while when I first started, to get my first one, but then more have shown up and I don't consider them "rare" but do consider them "scarce". I believe there was an Ireland's Candy and then sometime after that "Curtis" became involved. So many other things to research this is not one I have done much on (yet). It should be noted too that Burdick or Egan NEVER cataloged these. It was Bert Randolph Sugar that did it in his Sports Collectors Bible series.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe123rice.jpg (76.4 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg pcandyboxcurtsireleand.jpg (74.0 KB, 197 views)

Last edited by Leon; 12-02-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Ken McMillan

Leon,

Nice card and interesting on the Curtis company. Some of the reading said that Curtis was eventually bought up by Nestlé. I also read that Curtis was the manufacturer of Baby Ruth and Butterfinger. Those eventually became Nestlé products. On the subject of cards, did you ever actually see an Elmer Miller E 123 card?

Last edited by kmac32; 12-02-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Miller?

Hi Ken
I don't remember if I have seen an Elmer Miller card or not. LL
Old 12-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Ken McMillan

Never hurts to ask to see if the card even exists. Figured that somebody on the board might know in my quest to collect as many variations of Miller.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:44 PM

Default Lipset hoard

No Miller info, but about 3-4 years ago Lew Lipset had quite a few in one of his auctions. I don't remember the exact amount, but he had several lots with perhaps 30 to 40 total different cards? I remember being impressed by the quantity, as normally you only see these individually or in very small groupings.

Brian
Old 12-02-2011, 04:06 PM

I have told this story before but here it is again.

Back in the mid-1990's, I found a stack of cards at an antique show. The dealer was from St Louis and the stack consisted of American Caramel and Curtis Ireland cards. There were about 20 Curtis Ireland cards including a Ty Cobb with a vertical crease down the middle of the card and at least 30 or more of the caramel cards.

The dealer wanted $1200 for the stack of cards and didn't really want to break them up and sell them separately. Being that I was just out of college, had just started a new job and had bills to pay, I couldn't afford those cards (and my parents wouldn't loan me ANY money for cards because they were afraid I would have to also hit them up for a loan to pay some bills). Anyway, I told a long time collector (who was my mentor at the time) about the cards and he came to the antique show, looked through the stack of cards and put 10 $100 dollar bills on the table and told the dealer to take it or leave it. The dealer looked through the cards, looked at the money, looked around and then agreed to the deal.

My mentor gave me a common American Caramel card and a Curtis Ireland card of E. H Sheely as a finders fee and kept the rest for himself. Later, as he was downsizing his collection, he kept a St Louis card for himself (he is a HUGE Cardinals fan) and consigned the cards to Lipset to auction.

As far as I know and from what I have been told, "my" find was and still is the largest group of Curtis Ireland cards known. That find is also one of the things that I regret missing out on as far as collecting goes.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ireland.jpg (49.0 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg curtis.jpg (34.2 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by ctownboy; 12-02-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Ken McMillan

David,

Great story!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 06:02 PM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1923 E123 Curtis Ireland Hooper [Front].jpg (36.0 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg 1923 E123 Curtis Ireland Hooper [Back].jpg (41.6 KB, 146 views)
Old 12-02-2011, 06:22 PM

kmac,

Thank you.

David
Old 12-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Curtis Ireland's

Nice topic, Ken. I won a group of 11 in an obscure auction about 5 years ago. Whether they're considered "rare" or merely "scarce" is just a matter of semantics. They, along with their 20s brethren E122, are very difficult and under-appreciated. For those who doubt, compare the pop reports for these two against those of the vaunted and highly sought after E107s. Yes, I understand that there are many more raw 20s cards than E107, but the numbers are still remarkable.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Mike

Default Re: E123

I'd agree with everyone else - they're definitely on the scarce side - finding an individual player my take you a long time, but you can usually find an instance of the card without too much looking.

My lone contribution.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Richard A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frohme View Post
...finding an individual player my take you a long time, but you can usually find an instance of the card without too much looking...
That's it right there. Back in 2006, I missed out on one on eBay of a particular player. For most of the auction it stayed low, leaving me thinking I was gonna get the card for an okay price. On the last day, the card more than quadrupled, and quickly left my price range. Actually, it went about 3x as high as any card I had ever bought at that time.

Had I known at the time, that would be the only one I'd see in 5+ years, I'd have been more active that last day of bidding, rather than just sitting there slack jawed and disappointed as the price climbed.

Regards,

Richard.