NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-23-2006, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Default 49 Bowman SGC to PSA crossover

Posted By: cd06

Hi All,

New to the board and vintage collecting...any help on this subject would be appreciated. I have six 49 Bowman SGC 96's I would like to submit for crossover at PSA. I think at least 3 should, hopefully 4. Would it be prudent for me to send them in say on 3 subs(2 on ea)? I can't see them being generous to me if I send all on one sub as they know that they are just handing me a basket full of $$$, well unless I was a big time dealer in Cali maybe Thanks for your help and I realize these maybe just outside the general timeline of discussion.

Cards

Old 08-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeU

I personally have been collecting 1948-Present pricing for SGC vs. PSA sales on eBay. In the last month, there have been 6 head to head sales in the 48/49 realm. SGC has won all 6. Newer collectors are typically unaware of the truth regarding realized prices. I have attached the below link for you to check out.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1340142&an=0&page=0#Post1340142

Specifically for the 49 Bowman set, there are 3 major players in the PSA registry (Fogel, Spence and Merkel) and one on the SGC side (Stuckemeyer). I did not check the four 49 Bowman players to see if they have the specific cards you purchased in Mint condition. If most or all of the PSA guys do have the Mint versions and the SGC guy doesn't, you may fare better by selling individually on eBay with your desired minimum.

My suggestion would be to submit to whole batch to PSA for a crossover with a 9 as the minimum. Anything you get back, I would simply sell in the SGC holder. Alternatively, on the second round you could have a larger PSA submitter send in your SGC slabs with the 9 as the minimum.

Best of luck.

Full Disclaimer: I am biased as I like SGC and I help them gather realized price data.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the info. These six are 1 of 1's on SGC reg. and there are NO PSA 9's or 10's so they could be high coveted if crossed. Can you please rephrase this sentence from your last post:

"Alternatively, on the second round you could have a larger PSA submitter send in your SGC slabs with the 9 as the minimum.
"

I am not sure what you mean...thanks again

Old 08-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeU

"I can't see them being generous to me if I send all on one sub as they know that they are just handing me a basket full of $$$, well unless I was a big time dealer in Cali maybe"

My alternative note was a statement based on your above note. Apparently you feel that large California dealers may get preferential treatement. One way to test this theory is to submit all of the cards yourself the first round. Any card that do not cross to a 9, you can track down that big time dealer in California and have them submit the cards that did not cross the first time for you for a second try. If they cross the second try with the big dealer, you theory may have some legs. If they don't, maybe this theory is as wrong as the one that people believe that PSA beats SGC more often than not in 1948 to present issues.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the clarification!

Old 08-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Spaeth

For a PSA 9 1/1 I have to believe that because of the set registry phenomenon the cards would sell significantly higher as PSA 9s even though that might not be the case generally when comparing PSA to SGC in comparable grades for the issue.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Peter is right; a PSA 9 1/1 on that issue will sell through the roof comparable to SGC and GAI - in multiples higher in my opinion.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Administrator

thanks guys for the input, what do you think my chances are on the six for crossovers? the link is in the intial post...take care

Old 08-23-2006, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

My bet is they will cross 2 of 6. I'm not saying they would not all deserve to cross. It is just that PSA will reject 4 of 6 out of a false sense of rigor. I crossed a card from a PSA 7 to a GAI 7.5 a few years ago. Now PSA won't cross it back into a 7. The card is a blazer that would potentially be a 9 if it had better centering, but it certainly falls within PSA 7 centering guidelines.
JimB

Old 08-23-2006, 08:50 PM
Administrator

JIMB,
Thanks for the input..would you put all on one sub or say 2 on 3 different? Your thoughts...thanks!

Old 08-23-2006, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I would put them all on one. You might get some appreciation for crossing them over.
JimB