NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-08-2018, 07:36 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Records That Can Be Broken

Some records are safe. Who would argue that 511 wins by Mr. Young will be topped?

Other records, theoretically at least, are well within reach, but unlikely.

Let’s consider records that are not secure. Post a record for consideration or merely comment on one that has been mentioned.

I’ll kick things off with men left on base in a 9 inning game by one team. The maximum possible is 27, but what is the record. From 1919 to 2018 this dubious and meaningless record is held by the Cubs, who left 17 men on base in a game in 2011.

Once we have a couple of dozen choices, we can all sit back and see whose record is broken first.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

If there is any WAR record Mike Trout does not already own, he will break it very soon.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:00 PM
je.sse @rnot

The Yankees might break the record of 264 home runs by a team set by the Mariners in 1997. And even if they don't, it seems like one that will be broke at some point.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:29 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Some records are safe. Who would argue that 511 wins by Mr. Young will be topped?

Other records, theoretically at least, are well within reach, but unlikely.

Let’s consider records that are not secure. Post a record for consideration or merely comment on one that has been mentioned.

I’ll kick things off with men left on base in a 9 inning game by one team. The maximum possible is 27, but what is the record. From 1919 to 2018 this dubious and meaningless record is held by the Cubs, who left 17 men on base in a game in 2011.

Once we have a couple of dozen choices, we can all sit back and see whose record is broken first.
The Dodgers left 8 on in the first 3 innings the other night and I started wondering what the 9 inning record was.

My safe nomination: Mark Reynolds struck out 223 times in 2009. Joey Gallo May break that record this season. Currently at 90 through 65 games. On pace for 224.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:06 PM
+0m J()rd@N

With the way guys are swinging and missing this season, I'd say most strikeout records are within reach - both on the good side (pitchers) and on the bad (hitters). I'd say the only one that is beyond reach is Ryan's career mark of 5714 Ks.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 06-08-2018, 10:34 PM
Fred

Single season K record by a batter.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:41 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
The Dodgers left 8 on in the first 3 innings the other night and I started wondering what the 9 inning record was.

My safe nomination: Mark Reynolds struck out 223 times in 2009. Joey Gallo May break that record this season. Currently at 90 through 65 games. On pace for 224.

Don’t anoint Gallo yet. Aaron Judge has 85 strikeouts through 59 games, which equates to 233 over a season. If he stays healthy he will blow Gallo away.

Last edited by oldjudge; 06-08-2018 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:35 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

The hapless Mets could possibly set a team record for least wins in a single year for the combined months of May thru September (they may already hold the MLB existing record for a 162 game season). After starting 17-8 in April they are 10-25 since and are declining quickly, they look futile. In '62 they had 37 wins from May thru the end of September. They currently have 102 games left and considering their 10 wins since May 1st they would have to go 26-76 to do more poorly than the total of 37 they had for that period in 1962. It's doable. They stink.

The Yanks on the other hand are 23-8 since and including May 1st.

What a contrast in franchises.

Sorry to say even with that great ballpark I couldn't get a customer to go to a Mets game if I wrapped the ticket in a $100 bill.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 06-09-2018 at 05:10 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:22 AM
Barry Sloate

It seems like all the possible records for batters striking out will be broken in the coming years, and many by a wide margin. I remember Bobby Bonds record of 189 strikeouts in a season lasted for decades. Is he even in the top 50 anymore? I don't even know.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:54 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
With the way guys are swinging and missing this season, I'd say most strikeout records are within reach - both on the good side (pitchers) and on the bad (hitters). I'd say the only one that is beyond reach is Ryan's career mark of 5714 Ks.
Pitchers don’t throw enough innings anymore to challenge the career strike out or single season strikeout records. Strikeouts/9 or strikeouts in a game are well within reach though.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:04 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Three records that WILL be broken:

Most ABs in a single season without a sacrifice.

Most ABs in a career without a sacrifice.

Most career starts - as a pitcher - without a single complete game.

and a related record that WILL NOT be broken:

Most career starts - as a pitcher - without a relief appearance - currently held by Tom Glavine with 682.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 06-09-2018 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:34 AM
Val Kehl

Walter Johnson's career record of 110 shutouts. Whoops, I just realized that the OP is looking for records that CAN be broken. I suppose almost any record can be broken, but this WaJo record won't be.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.

Last edited by ValKehl; 06-09-2018 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:16 PM
“the bambino”

Three records that won’t be broken IMHO:

DiMaggio’s 56 game hitting streak
Ryan’s career strikeout total
Ryan’s 7 no hitters. Most pitchers don’t even get one in their entire career. Can you imagine 7?!!
Old 06-09-2018, 01:36 PM
Sam Lemoine

Career saves. If an ace reliever were to be identified at a fairly young age (25?) and pitched for a consistent top level team for many years racking up 40-50 saves per year, I could see Kimbrel challenging if he stays the same level for 8-10 more seasons.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:36 PM
Brian

Single-season WAR is in play thanks to Mike Trout who appears to be a multi-talented "WARmachine". Also, his new teammate Ohtani is challenging single season-hitting/pitching records (home runs and wins and pitching and offensive WAR combined marks).
Single-season Saves might be a possibility -- but managers are increasingly scared to wear down closers so it could be tough even for the best closers on the best teams.
Career marks that seem imperiled based on the current game include batters Strikeouts (although it would take a long career even from Aaron Judge)
Career strikeout rate hitters and (maybe) pitchers. Career saves is not inconceivable if someone can stay strong for a long time (which is very hard in the closer business) because of the high usage of closers
--
ALSO Any records that have to do with MONEY -- career earnings, single-season salary etc.. Bryce Harper, Kershaw and Trout are all Free Agents soon their salaries may make ARODs salaries look small.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:48 PM

Relief pitcher stats could easily be broken. As mentioned earlier career saves, single season saves, most games pitched in a season/career.

Also fielding stats such as put outs, fielding % will always be broken as fields are immaculately groomed and glove technology is amazing.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Strikeouts. Finally, something I can excel at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
It seems like all the possible records for batters striking out will be broken in the coming years, and many by a wide margin. I remember Bobby Bonds record of 189 strikeouts in a season lasted for decades. Is he even in the top 50 anymore? I don't even know.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:22 PM
Steve Birmingham

Is there a record for most pitches swung at without making contact? And if so, how do I get signed?
I'm pretty sure I could set that one easily.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:36 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misunderestimated View Post
Single-season WAR is in play thanks to Mike Trout who appears to be a multi-talented "WARmachine".
Considering the record for WAR is 20.2 and Trout's best is 10.5...

Of course, that's unfair. The 20.2 was by Tim Keefe in 1883. If we go with hitters, the record is 14.1 in 1923* by Babe Ruth. That's still 3.6 better than Trout's best. I'd say that record is safe.

* - The fact that 1923 is Ruth's highest WAR total just shows you how dumb/wrong WAR can be at times. No one in their right mind thinks 1923 was his best year. Most would say 1921. Or 1927. Or 1920. But 1923? No. Yet WAR says it was his "best".
Old 06-13-2018, 06:46 AM
Paul S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth_rookie View Post

Ryan’s career strikeout total
Ryan’s 7 no hitters. Most pitchers don’t even get one in their entire career. Can you imagine 7?!!
Interesting because I would think these, except perhaps DiMaggio's, are more likely to be broken now than a lot of other records. Records tend to be broken when the way the game is played changes. Strikeouts are much much more common now than they once were, both for pitchers and hitters, due to reassessments of their value/detriment. For batters, the current view is that you are better off swinging hard and with an uppercut even if you strike out more. Whereas for pitchers, the current thinking is that all pitchers are equal once the ball is put in play, and so the best measurement of a pitcher's value is his strikeouts. So if you can't throw mid-90s they don't even want to scout you. I'm not saying I necessarily agree with this thinking, and I do think it makes the game boring at times, but that is the current thinking. And that thinking lends itself to strikeouts and no-hitters. Scherzer, for instance, seems to flirt with a no-hitter ever time he's out there. The counter to this is that the current thinking is that pitchers shouldn't throw more than 120 pitches a game, or pitch more than every fifth day, which could make it harder to break those records. But there's still a chance. The records that will almost certainly never be broken are those for which changes in the game have completely put them out of reach. For instance, in the deadball era, parks were big, bumpy, and often in weird configurations, and players were playing with tiny gloves. That, and the fact that no one was hitting home runs, led to a lot of triples. Sam Crawford holds the record with 309 career. You are never going to see that broken in modern parks with the kind of fielding we have today. The current active leader is Jose Reyes with 128, and you can bet he's a lot faster than Crawford was. But the game is just different.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:51 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

There are a lot of them from the Village People and Devo that can be broken
Old 06-13-2018, 06:52 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
There are a lot of them from the Village People and Devo that can be broken
Don't disrespect D E V O
Old 06-13-2018, 11:42 AM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
If we go with hitters, the record is 14.1 in 1923* by Babe Ruth. That's still 3.6 better than Trout's best. I'd say that record is safe.
I am not a huge fan of WAR either, but Trout currently has a 6.0 WAR and is on pace for 14.5 for the year.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:54 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth_rookie View Post

Here's one of the things I'll wonder...after his 56 game streak was broken, he immediately went on another streak of 35 game or so. If the streak were 85-90 games, would we see streaks of 50 games routinely?
Old 06-13-2018, 06:28 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities View Post
I am not a huge fan of WAR either, but Trout currently has a 6.0 WAR and is on pace for 14.5 for the year.
Fair point. I didn't do the math on the current season. Doubt he keeps it up but, hey, awesome if he does. WAR loves Trout, that's for sure.