NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-14-2016, 12:05 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Dirt collection?

Last year my sister sent me a pen with what professes to be Yankee Stadium dirt in it.

On October 2, my brother and I received Turner Field dirt when we attended the final MLB game at that site.

Just for kicks and laughs, let's hear some ideas on how to preserve such a collection.

Q: If I wind up collecting official samples for all available stadiums and arenas, should I contact a realtor?

Q: Would such and collection attempt be the slowest possible land deal ever?

d

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 11-14-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:16 PM
Ben North

I remember seeing a company selling dirt from all the stadiums a few years ago. They had the dirt from each stadium in containers about the size of a quarter and about 1/4" as thick.

I think getting it yourself from games you attended would be really cool. Buying it in the set like I seen not so much.

The realtor should only be needed if/when you sell.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:19 PM

When me and my dad took a tour of old Yankee Stadium before they tore it down he wanted to snag some grass and dirt as souvenirs. The person leading the tour group actually yelled about it and told him he'd be kicked out if he tried again. I had to block him the next time he tried so she wouldn't see him. I even took some as an extra F U to that stupid guide and I didn't even want any.

Last edited by packs; 11-14-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:32 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

I have dirt from a number of stadiums. All collected in person by myself or a certain friend. It's more of a fun exercise in stupidity. We've had to come up with some pretty creative ways to get some. Some stadiums are easier than others.
So far I have dirt from Baltimore, Washington, Old Yankee stadium, Fenway, Atlanta, Arizona, Doubleday field in Cooperstown and from the college World Series when it was in Omaha NE.
I keep mine in glass toothpick jars with lids.

If anyone has any interest in some I have extra from Fenway, Cooperstown and Baltimore. Lmk.
Drew

Last edited by almostdone; 11-14-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
When me and my dad took a tour of old Yankee Stadium before they tore it down he wanted to snag some grass and dirt as souvenirs. The person leading the tour group actually yelled about it and told him he'd be kicked out if he tried again. I had to block him the next time he tried so she wouldn't see him. I even took some as an extra F U to that stupid guide and I didn't even want any.
They don't sell anything without Steiner putting a huge premium on it.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:16 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

It is not that uncommon. I have read of several people who have done this. One person was unable to get to all of the stadiums so he wrote to the head of the grounds crew. Some helped, some did not.

When I was more involved in the Civil War community (giving lectures, buying/selling/collecting autographs of generals) I ran into a reenactor who collected dirt from as many battlefields as he could. I got him dirt from most of the battlefields in New Mexico and a few others west of the Mississippi. I used Kodak film canisters and I believe he may have put it in test tubes.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 11-14-2016, 02:12 PM

On a related note while I was at Stonehenge earlier this year I pocketed some rocks from the field.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:41 PM

I have to admit that I picked up a few granules from the warning track in front of The Monstah at Fenway.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:44 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

On a different note a piece of pavement from the infield portion of Daytona Speedway while taking the Tour, and a lug nut from the Camping World Truck Series pit stall at Martinsville Speedway Va. I had pit passes to see my son when he was on a Pit Crew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nut 002.jpg (51.4 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg nut 001.jpg (21.0 KB, 203 views)
Old 11-14-2016, 03:39 PM
John E.

I've picked up dirt here and there. And the Red Sox sent me some Fenway dirt in a fan pack thing my daughter and I sent off to a bunch of teams for.

It's a fun thing to do. What I'd really love, as an A's fan, would be to get some dirt or soil from each location the A's ever played. I have Coliseum dirt, but KC Municipal, Shibe, and the old Columbia Avenue Grounds...I'd love to do the old archaeological trick of digging X amount down to get a soil sample from the locations representing when the parks would have been active. Just for me.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:59 PM

I actually own mound dirt from George Brett Nolan Ryan's last game in uniform (also the last game at old Arlington Stadium) in 1993. I pocketed this dirt myself on Oct. 1, 1993.

I also have Anaheim Stadium dirt obtained from game 7 in the 2002 World Series in which the Angels finally won the World Series.

Finally, I have stadium dirt from old Tigers Stadium from Sept. 27, 1999 (last game at "The Corner"). I swapped a friend for some of my Ryan mound dirt.

Silly, but fun!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 11-15-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:04 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I bought this on Ebay a while back. I kinda like the idea of a bit of dirt from each ballpark. The only dirt I collected myself was in 1998. I visited Babe Ruth's grave on the 50th anniversary of his death. I took some dirt from the top of his grave. See below.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears

Last edited by mcgwirecom; 11-14-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:07 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dirt.jpg (77.9 KB, 135 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 11-14-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
here
Love it, Randall!
Old 11-15-2016, 05:25 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
here

That is amazing!

Thanks to everyone for responding.

d

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 11-15-2016, 05:43 PM
Jim

I got a set of poker chip looking dirt from all the stadiums for Christmas a few years ago. I dig it although I collect ballparks with my son, not dirt. It's neat however to see how different they each are. Some are coarse, some fine, some like clay, some dark and some lighter.

JD
www.baseballglovecollector.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stadium Dirt.jpg (78.1 KB, 54 views)
Old 11-15-2016, 08:21 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Glove Collector View Post
I got a set of poker chip looking dirt from all the stadiums for Christmas a few years ago. I dig it although I collect ballparks with my son, not dirt. It's neat however to see how different they each are. Some are coarse, some fine, some like clay, some dark and some lighter.

JD
www.baseballglovecollector.com
That's really cool.i put some dirt my son and I got on a baseball trip into silver dollar cases. I plan on incorporating them into a special display I'm making for him for Christmas showing highlights and moment one from our trip. I'll post a picture once I complete it.
Drew

Last edited by almostdone; 11-15-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:54 PM
Mike

When I die, I want my grandson to dump my ashes on the Detroit infield when he runs the bases after the game. I don't think anyone will notice if he drops a few ounces.