NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-20-2014, 08:21 AM

Default Closing Tonight! Lelands.com Jan 16th Auction- Joe Jackson's Personal Scrapbooks

Our Exceptional Vintage Sports, Rock 'n Pop Culture Auction is up and running on www.lelands.com. Bidding has already begun and closes on January 16, 2015 at 8pm or until the phone stopes ringing for 15 minutes.

We are offering free copies of our award-winning full color catalogue to all. It is 300+ pages in length with over 1,000 fully illustrated lots. If you would like one sent to you please email us at catalog@lelands.com with your address. Also let me know if you have any questions.

Some of the top lots and collections include:

Shoeless Joe Jackson's Personal Scrapbooks
Amazing archive in three volumes includes several barnstorming broadsides, previously unknown vintage photographs, and the court document where he sued the White Sox for back pay and questions him pointedly about his Black Sox involvement.

Only Known 1908 Honus Wagner Rose Postcard with “Greenfield’s Chocolates” Ad Back

The Joe L. Brown Signed Baseball Collection Part I
Rare single signed baseballs from the family of actor Joe E. Brown and his son Pirates GM Joe L. Brown. Single signed balls of Eppa Rixey, Ty Cobb, Satchel Paige as a Negro Leaguer, George Sisler, Casey Stengel, Roger Maris, and special Roberto Clemente Forbes Field "Last Game" ball.

The Seabiscuit Collection of Christopher Lowe featuring Red Pollard's Seabiscuit Saddle, horseshoes from the War Admiral Match Race and the 1940 Santa Anita final race comeback.

The Bob Gibson and Lou Brock Collections including his Hall of Fame Induction Plaque
Amazing Find of 1915-16 Fatima Tobacco Baseball Advertising Posters with 1916 Babe Ruth Boston Red Sox Spring Training Poster.
Ted Williams Cap Worn In The 1955 All Star Game With Provenance
1982 & 1983 Derek Jeter Little League Set of Team Signed Baseballs, Team Photos and Championship Trophies.
Great boxing material including Jack Dempsey v Gene Tunney "Long Count" Mutoscope
James Naismith Signed Rare "Basketball For 1893" Title Page
1964 World Champion Cleveland Browns Player's Ring, Pristine 1890s Reach Harness Football Helmet in Original Box, First Harvard-Yale Football Program (1875) and more a great football
Blood Stained 1970s Rod Gilbert New York Rangers Game Worn Jersey
Fabulous collection of rock n roll including a Janis Joplin Suede Fringed Vest, Art Nouveau Belt, Signed Calendar Book and Ticket Stubs From That Day
Pop Culture galore from all eras including a rare 1818 Declaration of Independence by Benjamin Owen Tyler

Lelands.com
The Original Sports Auction House
Since 1969

Consignments are being accepted now for our next auction. If you have anything you would like to have evaluated please email me jevans@optonline.net. Generous cash advances are available. We also buy outright for cash. Kevin Bronson and I will be in the New England area January 7-11, 2015. We will be set up at the "Papermania Plus" Antique Paper Show in Hartford, Connecticut from January 10-11 paying cash in the spot. Call now for an appointment 516-409-9700 or email us.

Last edited by Leon; 01-16-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:39 AM
Don Hontz

Josh Great auction I havent received my catalog yet but bid yesterday online---Some Great material and fresh stuff. Will do more bidding and hopefully win some great cards, etc. Don
Old 12-20-2014, 09:14 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

I know it's a PC796, but what is Max Brand?

http://www.lelands.com/Auction/Aucti...Brand-Postcard
Old 12-20-2014, 09:24 AM
Dan Bretta

That Joe Jackson scrapbook is incredible...probably the best memorabilia item I've seen since the Matty McIntyre photo album.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:32 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Out of all the AH i bid on, suprised i havent signed up for this one yet. Amazing items.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:17 PM
P@trick R.omolo

I was looking through the Jackson scrapbook lot and came across a really
interesting item. Livingston Manor is our very small town (pop around 1200 and less than 1000 full time residence). "Sherwood's Island" is now the location
of Livingston Manor Central School (opened in 1939).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image.jpg (74.4 KB, 776 views)
File Type: jpg 3556397435_b3b9f47db3_z.jpg (45.1 KB, 779 views)
Old 12-22-2014, 06:53 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

This is one of the coolest items I've seen auctioned off in a long time. There are still exciting hobby finds every year.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:08 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

The Jackson scrapbooks are really great, but Josh, you really missed the boat by not reaching out and pairing it with Joe Jackson's only known military panoramic photo!!! http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=194010

Ken
Old 12-22-2014, 08:01 PM

I was offered that "Joe Jackson" military photo at the National. Pretty much everything that crazy guy had was bad.

Thanks for the heads up on the "Max Brand" postcard. We will correct that. Max Brand us the pen name of a famous Western fiction writer. Never made a postcard in his life. Senility has officially set In.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:05 PM
Tom

I wonder why Gibson / Brock are pawning off their stuff?
Old 01-12-2015, 12:31 PM
P@trick R.omolo

The town historian was on the job I'm working on last week and I was telling
him about the flyer from the Jackson scrapbook for a game in our home
town and he said he remembered an article in the local paper about it.
He just dropped off copies of a couple of articles about the game. Joe Jackson was there but the game was never played but it does date the
flyer to 1922.

There is also an article about Fred Odwell who played in the majors and is on a t201 card who was also scheduled to play in a game in town the following week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img855.jpg (78.2 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg img857.jpg (90.0 KB, 315 views)
Old 01-12-2015, 12:49 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set View Post
I could be wrong but I think that due to the changes in the St. Louis Cardinals HOF a lot of their stuff was returned. This would mean they probably have no room for it any more. These aren't the first Cardinal's stuff to show up recently in Lelands. Slaughter and Musial also had some stuff. At that time I talked to a friend that works for the Cardinals and he said a lot of that use to be held by them, so that is where this assumption comes from.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:01 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set View Post
Gibby is almost 80 and Brock is 75 and they both probably figure to cash in now and not leave those decisions to other family members. Makes perfect sense to me
Old 01-14-2015, 12:54 PM

As to the concept of ballplayers selling their stuff, this is a new world we live in. When something was worth 100$ it was easy to make the decision to donate it to a museum or keep it in the closet. Now collectively these things are worth in many cases hundreds of thousands and in rare cases millions. Family members in most situations would prefer to have the money and to forgoe the headache of selling the stuff themselves after they have chosen the momentos that truly mean something to them.

I believe the previous use of the term "pawn" is unfair and a bit ugly. Selling these things in a higly publicized auction that they know and trust because others in their circle have utilized us, there is nothing wrong with that. What are they supposed to do? Give it away to people who may eventually sell it themselves in not as calculated and dignified a manner? Have family members fight over this when there is no King Solomon to threaten to cut the baby in half. Money can be divided equitably and easily. Or should they donate it to a museum where a vast majority of the time it will end up in the basement only to be enjoyed by the archivists who already have plenty to look at. Be aware I am a firm believer that museum donation has its place having donated to several including Cooperstown multiple times. But it has to be the right situation, this is not a carte blanche move. Some things simply belong in certain places. The majority does not. And what would you do. Would you give away your children and grandchildren's legacy for a tax deduction that might not work financially. Many of the old time ballplayers don't have an unending supply of money to prepare their families for when they are gone. But in the end regardles of the situation it is their's to do to do with what they feel is right, regardless of the decision. It is simply their's, they earned it, sweated for it, and shame on those that deride them at a time when many of the biggest celebrities and regular Joe's have sold their excess memorabilia. Even the Pope is supposedly auctioning off gifts that normally just go to storage and giving the money to charity versus going into another Raiders of the Lost Ark warehouse stuffed with crates that go on forever. Our politicians should be doing the same. Regardless of my politics I would love to have an ugly samovar presented to President Obama by the President of Turkey (do they have a President?). And besides we're all in this hobby here. We love this stuff for whatever dysfunction and isn't it great that we get to enjoy it in the privacy of our own homes. And when we are done with it we shuttle it to the next collector who can enjoy it far after we are gone, the player is gone, and Leon Luckey's son is running net54.
Sincerely
Joshua Leland Evans
Cchairman
Lelands.com

P.S. My auction closes Friday where we we will be pawning off some great stuff that we are infinitely proud of.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshleland View Post
As to the concept of ballplayers selling their stuff, this is a new world we live in. When something was worth 100$ it was easy to make the decision to donate it to a museum or keep it in the closet. Now collectively these things are worth in many cases hundreds of thousands and in rare cases millions. Family members in most situations would prefer to have the money and to forgoe the headache of selling the stuff themselves after they have chosen the momentos that truly mean something to them.

I believe the previous use of the term "pawn" is unfair and a bit ugly. Selling these things in a higly publicized auction that they know and trust because others in their circle have utilized us, there is nothing wrong with that. What are they supposed to do? Give it away to people who may eventually sell it themselves in not as calculated and dignified a manner? Have family members fight over this when there is no King Solomon to threaten to cut the baby in half. Money can be divided equitably and easily. Or should they donate it to a museum where a vast majority of the time it will end up in the basement only to be enjoyed by the archivists who already have plenty to look at. Be aware I am a firm believer that museum donation has its place having donated to several including Cooperstown multiple times. But it has to be the right situation, this is not a carte blanche move. Some things simply belong in certain places. The majority does not. And what would you do. Would you give away your children and grandchildren's legacy for a tax deduction that might not work financially. Many of the old time ballplayers don't have an unending supply of money to prepare their families for when they are gone. But in the end regardles of the situation it is their's to do to do with what they feel is right, regardless of the decision. It is simply their's, they earned it, sweated for it, and shame on those that deride them at a time when many of the biggest celebrities and regular Joe's have sold their excess memorabilia. Even the Pope is supposedly auctioning off gifts that normally just go to storage and giving the money to charity versus going into another Raiders of the Lost Ark warehouse stuffed with crates that go on forever. Our politicians should be doing the same. Regardless of my politics I would love to have an ugly samovar presented to President Obama by the President of Turkey (do they have a President?). And besides we're all in this hobby here. We love this stuff for whatever dysfunction and isn't it great that we get to enjoy it in the privacy of our own homes. And when we are done with it we shuttle it to the next collector who can enjoy it far after we are gone, the player is gone, and Leon Luckey's son is running net54.
Sincerely
Joshua Leland Evans
Cchairman
Lelands.com

P.S. My auction closes Friday where we we will be pawning off some great stuff that we are infinitely proud of.
Well, it would be my daughter taking over Net54 as I have no son (I know about). And I don't think she would do that well running the forum. She is too nice.

Good luck in the auction tonight, Josh
Old 01-16-2015, 10:46 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Speaking of athletes selling their stuff, I recently read an article about actress Loni Anderson. She's well off and apparently has kept a ton of stuff from her acting career, celebrity life and marriage to Burt Reynolds, including television and museum memorabilia and unique luxury gifts from famous people. She said that over dinner a friend asked her what she was planning to do with all the stuff-- "Are you planning on opening a museum?" the person asked. She said she thought it over and decided to sell most of the items as they were just sitting or stored away, and she wasn't planning on opening a museum.

So there is a case of a thoughtful celebrity, not in any financial dire straights or with health problems, who decided the best thing was to sell.

Last edited by drcy; 01-16-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:11 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Well, it would be my daughter taking over Net54 as I have no son (I know about). And I don't think she would do that well running the forum. She is too nice.

Good luck in the auction tonight, Josh
I'll take the role of your adopted son -- as long as you also leave me the type collection
Old 01-16-2015, 06:16 PM
Dan Bretta

I know the Jackson scrapbooks have a reserve, but I'm kinda shocked that they are only sitting around $35,000 right now. There aren't even words to describe the importance of those scrapbooks. They weren't put together by some fan of Jackson's...they were put together by him and/or his wife. I gotta think the outlaw broadsides are worth more than the $35,000 the bid is sitting at right now.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:22 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
That Joe Jackson scrapbook is incredible...probably the best memorabilia item I've seen since the Matty McIntyre photo album.
May it rest in peace....pieces.