NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-24-2011, 08:20 PM

Default NY Post comments on Jeter's greed.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...5dnA9uN5DxyxFK
Old 07-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default yikes

I still think the guy should have sold the ball to Jeter. He would still be the guy that caught it and probably 250k better off. Steiner and/or Jeter would never have missed the money. Thanks for posting the story...
Old 07-25-2011, 05:45 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

This reads more like a payback from a writer that didn't get an exclusive interview with Jeter. It's in the Opinion section of the paper...and you know what they say about opinions.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:51 AM

Including yours?
Old 07-25-2011, 07:18 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Yep!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:50 AM
Johnny S

Default Good read

There are always two sides to every story but I have to admit this one is pretty good and hats off to the writer. I am still hopefull the right things will be done and do think this kid is going to get a lot of good to come his way because of his actions, atleast I hope so...........
Old 07-25-2011, 09:07 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBenderForever View Post
There are always two sides to every story but I have to admit this one is pretty good and hats off to the writer. I am still hopefull the right things will be done and do think this kid is going to get a lot of good to come his way because of his actions, atleast I hope so...........
Agreed Johnny.....but that bird in the hand always looks pretty good too!!

Unfortunately, I could almost see me doing what the kid did.....then saying "DOH!!" the next day
Old 07-25-2011, 09:39 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Leon - I was thinking the same thing you wrote, I could see myself doing that if it was someone on the team I follow that hit 3,000 and I caught it. However, if I was Jeter I could also see myself doing exactly what the opinion writer said as well - giving the guy a $25,000 or more check and insisting he cash the thing. I thought it was a good article and I wish other writers would have the guts to say similar things. Unfortunately if they did they'd forever forfeit their chance to interview one of those guys ever again.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

C'mon guys, this is a no win situation for Jeter. If he takes that ball as a gift, he's a money grubbing jerk. If he quietly offers the guy money (fill in the amount) so that he won't have to pay taxes he's a jerk because nobody knows. If he publicly offers the guy money (fill in the amount) he's a jerk because it wouldn't be enough and the poor guy would have to pay taxes on the amount.
Too bad Roger Maris isn't alive so that they could compare notes about the wonderful NY press.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Johnny S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
C'mon guys, this is a no win situation for Jeter. If he takes that ball as a gift, he's a money grubbing jerk. If he quietly offers the guy money (fill in the amount) so that he won't have to pay taxes he's a jerk because nobody knows. If he publicly offers the guy money (fill in the amount) he's a jerk because it wouldn't be enough and the poor guy would have to pay taxes on the amount.
Too bad Roger Maris isn't alive so that they could compare notes about the wonderful NY press.
I disagree, the kid did the right thing so why can't he ? We all have to pay taxes and you seriously don't think his acct wouldn't find a way to write it off if he gave it as a gift ? Or just outright bought it ? Jeter is paying taxes on all the merchandise they sell right ? The kid is gonna have to pay taxes on anything in any amount so that is a mute point. I do think the kid is gonna be alright and see a nice payday coming for him over the next couple years in advertisments and sponsers, but it doesn't look good that Jeter has done nothing for him when the kid did everything for him. And this is coming from a HUGE Jeter fan who agrees he owes no one anything but it comes to a point of doing the right thing which as far as I know he has done nothing.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Since neither of the last two options actually occurred, it's nothing but pure speculation (and a bit of wishful thinking) on your part as to what the press and public's reaction would actually be.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 07-25-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Johnny S

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Since neither of the last two options actually occurred, it's nothing but pure speculation (and a bit of wishful thinking) on your part as to what the press and public's reaction would actually be.

Very true, and since he has done nothing up to this point, you have to wonder if he even cares what the press or anyone thinks? If he did wouldn't he have done something right away ? And it shouldn't have to be for press or his reputation, it should just be about doing the right thing and returning the favor.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I am not surprised that Jeter would not have felt a sense of duty to reach into his pocket and pay for the ball. It comes back to a culture of entitlement that celebrities have built around them. It isn't unique to baseball or sports. Celebrities are often comped and treated to stuff that the rest of us have to buy [remember the Academy Awards gift bags and gifting suites controversy a few years ago, where it turned out that the celebs were getting tens of thousands of dollars in high end merchandise free of charge in their swag bags?), on the tabs of publicists, managers, agents, sponsors, studios and others who want the 'glory' of their august personages. It gets to the point where they feel no personal duty to pay for things because they can simply assume that everyone will just hand over the goods gratis and/or that the agent/manager/studio/team will just take care of it. Case in point: a client of mine who trains celebrities was asked to use her facility for her client's unpaid photo shoot with a legendary photographer (I never heard of him but apparently being asked to sit for him is a very big deal). She agreed to let the client use her studio for an afternoon. The celeb and her team were very pleased with the space and the results and later asked to take it over for a big for-pay fashion shoot for a magazine, which would have displaced my client's business for a good chunk of a week. She wanted to help out but could not afford to close shop for days without compensation. I advised her to ask for a site fee [which is what any production would have had to pay for a space in any normal situation] to cover the lost income and the celeb decided to have her shoot elsewhere rather than pay for her site; apparently she just expected that the glory of having the shoot there would be compensation enough. From Jeter's perspective, he met the guy, signed some stuff for him, and the team gave him some nice tickets, so why should #2 reach into his pocket and add to the bounty when the team took care of it already?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-25-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:14 PM

To paraphrase Eddie Murphy, "I'm Derek Jeter, goddamnit."
Old 07-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Jeremy W.

You're thinking of Dave Chappelle, not Murphy. Good call, though.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:20 PM

No. I'm thinking of Eddie Murphy on SNL, as Gumby. "I'm Gumby, goddamnit"

Last edited by David Atkatz; 07-25-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Jeff

"dambit" I thought

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 07-25-2011, 03:51 PM

I think you're right, Jeff.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Dan Bretta

The guy who caught the ball should sign with Steiner to autograph DJ3K items...who wouldn't want a baseball signed by Jeter, Price and Lopez???
Old 07-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default the kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
The guy who caught the ball should sign with Steiner to autograph DJ3K items...who wouldn't want a baseball signed by Jeter, Price and Lopez???
The kid would have signed for free and we would have the whole fiasco to re-live....
Old 07-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Brian Cochran

Dave Chapelle would have said, "I'm Derek Jeter BITCH"!! Just in case anyone was confused?!
Old 07-25-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I believe they are selling signed baseballs by Jeter, Price and Lopez as a three-ball set.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
I believe they are selling signed baseballs by Jeter, Price and Lopez as a three-ball set.
Three balls is excessive.

Or not...
Old 07-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Eric

you get 3 balls and the ball bag signed by the batting practice pitcher that game. It's the Steiner 3 balls in a bag deal, only cost 2500 post paid.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default however

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Three balls is excessive.
my wife would be happy
Old 07-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Which of course leads to the old joke, What do you do with an elephant with 3 balls? Walk him and pitch to the Giraffe.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Johnny S

Quote:
Which of course leads to the old joke, What do you do with an elephant with 3 balls? Walk him and pitch to the Giraffe.
Sadly to say it took a few reads for me to get it, very good ! What about the Alien with 3 balls, they called him ET the Extratesticle.........
Old 07-27-2011, 10:11 AM

Default Good one Mike!!

[quote=mr2686;912182]which of course leads to the old joke, what do you do with an elephant with 3 balls? Walk him and pitch to the giraffe.[/quote

Funny Mike!! LOL

Last edited by Scott Garner; 07-27-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

MacTavish is leading a tour of the course at St. Andrews and explaining to the tourists that they play in all weather, even winter in the snow. A tourist asks how they do that:

"With red balls" MacTavish says.

A woman giggles: "It's those silly kilts."

Or not...
Old 07-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Eric Shaeffer

After attending a golf tournement, an older gentleman heads back to his car on the shuttle. A young blonde girl is sitting across from him, seemingly staring at the bulge in his pockets. He says to her "golf balls". She replies, "Oh,dear, is it as painful as tennis elbow?"