NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-16-2018, 12:52 PM
njdunkin1 njdunkin1 is offline
NJ Dunkin
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Eagle River, WI
Posts: 721
Default Full Disclosure and Public Apology, Regarding T206 Reproductions Sold on Ebay in Feb.

Net54 members and all,


Before I communicate the following words, I wanted to let you know that this is NJ Dunkin, posting regarding a mistake I made a few weeks’ past. I made some counterfeit T206 reproductions to sell on eBay, but instead of making clear that these were fakes, I made the area of authenticity very gray. I recognize this as immoral, deceptive, and misleading.

Here is a link to one of the four auctions in question:

Abbatchio Uzit

I seek forgiveness for three things:
1) My actions were wrong. I recognize this and apologize for it.
2) I was confronted about this on Facebook (Tobacco Row) and stretched the truth in order to paint myself in a better light. I seek forgiveness for deceiving Facebook and board members alike.
3) I should have posted this publicly as soon as it happened, yet I delayed in posting to try and preserve my self-image and reputation.

I realize that this whole situation and how I handled it was wrong, and that I have no excuse for my actions.

I have reserved post #2 for the full details of the story. I wrote this out about a week ago. The details of the story below are the truth, but you do not have to read them or even read further than this sentence. I know the last thing I deserve is your forgiveness, but I felt led to communicate this to you knowing that it was wrong to carry on without associating myself publicly with my actions.

Thank you to the board and Facebook members for the encouragement to take this step.

Noah "NJ" Dunkin

Last edited by njdunkin1; 04-16-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-16-2018, 12:52 PM
njdunkin1 njdunkin1 is offline
NJ Dunkin
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Eagle River, WI
Posts: 721
Default

Posting story...
-I made a few T206 reproductions as I had in the past and posted them on eBay to make a few bucks, circa February 13th of this year.
-However, this time I made my listings very gray regarding authenticity and provenance of the cards.
-I thought at the time it would be a cool thing to do to perhaps earn a few more bids. I willingly chose to use an alternate account and I since recognize that as deceptive and wrong (changed username for clarification. current name: njdunkin_2, previous name: katie5831)
-The auction went on; I realized the final day that I was going to be out of town and couldn’t ship the cards to the winning bidder(s), so I tried to cancel the auctions in hopes of relisting the auctions later.
-The first two (Magee and Doyle) didn’t have any bids, so those could cancel with no issues.
-In contrast, the Abbatchio and Cobb each had bids, so I couldn’t cancel. Instead of facing up to the buyer and being straightforward, I tried to bid and win my own cards with my purchasing account (username: njdunkin_1). I did not and would not shill my own auctions to earn a higher bid.
-It backfired. Turns out the buyer had a higher bid than both of mine on the cards, causing him to win both.
-I was in trouble, but the buyer did not end up paying. Shamefully, I opened unpaid cases instead of just cancelling the auctions.
-Nothing really happened and I didn't dwell on this until a friend spoke with me via email with righteous rebuke, pointing out the wrong that I had done. Ashamedly, I didn’t think twice about it until his email, and I saw that he was completely right. Through his words, I could see that I had done wrong and needed make reparations with the people involved as best I could (thank you K).
-However, even more to my shame today, I thought I could postpone making things right or even bury my wrongdoing with time.
-Fast forward to joining Tobacco Row on Facebook (this would be very late March, early April); I received an inquiry about this situation. I was so embarrassed, but I was set on trying to make myself look better and cover up my actions. I made up lies and tried to make myself look better by stretching the truth.
-Deservedly, I’m removed from the FB group as members uncover the truth of the story
-Completely ashamed, I didn't sleep well and dwelled on this almost constantly during this past few weeks' time.
-Through the encouragement of a close friend, I sought forgiveness of those whom were directly affected by my actions (M and D on FB, along with the eBay buyer.)
-I made contact with the eBay buyer and called eBay to remove the unpaid item strikes and apologized to him. I committed to sending out his cards and did so last Tuesday (tracking: 9405509699938375223352)
- This opportunity has been orchestrated to humble me, and I'm thankful for that today.


Thank you for reading this, and again, I am so, so sorry for the grief that I’ve caused you. My actions were wrong and I realize what this has done to my fellowship with much, if not all of the T206, FB, + N54 community.

-Noah "NJ" Dunkin

Last edited by njdunkin1; 04-16-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-16-2018, 01:00 PM
ullmandds's Avatar
ullmandds ullmandds is online now
pete ullman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: saint paul, mn
Posts: 8,836
Default

what...no "god bless?"

JK

Last edited by ullmandds; 04-16-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-16-2018, 01:14 PM
Rookiemonster's Avatar
Rookiemonster Rookiemonster is offline
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Nj
Posts: 1,358
Default

Didn’t you already apologize for some other shanagians you were up to when you first signed up?
__________________
Just a collector that likes to talk and read about the Hobby. 🤓👍🏼
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-16-2018, 02:14 PM
commishbob's Avatar
commishbob commishbob is online now
Bob Andrews (threadkiller)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston Tx Area
Posts: 609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdunkin1 View Post
Posting story...
........
buyer had a higher bid than both of mine on the cards, causing him to win both.
-I was in trouble, but the buyer did not end up paying. Shamefully, I opened unpaid cases instead of just cancelling the auctions.........
-Noah "NJ" Dunkin
Am I reading this right? The winning bidder didn't pay for your fake cards and you opened a case on him/her?

That's pretty ballsy.
__________________
My hobby blogs: Five Tool Collector 1959 Topps Baseball 1958 Topps Baseball 1960 Topps Baseball

Current Projects: 1957 Topps Baseball, 1953 Bowman Football, 1960 Leaf Baseball

Player Collections: Billy Pierce, Charles Bender, Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, Elston Howard, Mike Cuellar Always looking for unique Billy Pierce items

People are crazy and times are strange, I used to care but things have changed -Dylan
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-16-2018, 02:15 PM
Snapolit1's Avatar
Snapolit1 Snapolit1 is offline
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,956
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
Am I reading this right? The winning bidder didn't pay for your fake cards and you opened a case on him/her?

That's pretty ballsy.
LOl. Indeed. What balls. How dare you rip me off when I'm trying to rip you off.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-16-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-17-2018, 02:51 PM
ruth_rookie's Avatar
ruth_rookie ruth_rookie is offline
Jason “the bambino” Babin
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
LOl. Indeed. What balls. How dare you rip me off when I'm trying to rip you off.
Lmao
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-17-2018, 03:55 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,531
Default

IMO, invoking religion/faith to create the impression that one is honest and trustworthy is, more often than not, a big red flag.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-16-2018, 02:33 PM
david_l david_l is offline
David L.
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 222
Default

Wow. Maybe now would be a good time to take a hiatus and try to reset your moral compass a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdunkin1 View Post
Net54 members and all,


Before I communicate the following words, I wanted to let you know that this is NJ Dunkin, posting regarding a mistake I made a few weeks’ past. I made some counterfeit T206 reproductions to sell on eBay, but instead of making clear that these were fakes, I made the area of authenticity very gray. I recognize this as immoral, deceptive, and misleading.

Here is a link to one of the four auctions in question:

Abbatchio Uzit

I seek forgiveness for three things:
1) My actions were wrong. I recognize this and apologize for it.
2) I was confronted about this on Facebook (Tobacco Row) and stretched the truth in order to paint myself in a better light. I seek forgiveness for deceiving Facebook and board members alike.
3) I should have posted this publicly as soon as it happened, yet I delayed in posting to try and preserve my self-image and reputation.

I realize that this whole situation and how I handled it was wrong, and that I have no excuse for my actions.

I have reserved post #2 for the full details of the story. I wrote this out about a week ago. The details of the story below are the truth, but you do not have to read them or even read further than this sentence. I know the last thing I deserve is your forgiveness, but I felt led to communicate this to you knowing that it was wrong to carry on without associating myself publicly with my actions.

Thank you to the board and Facebook members for the encouragement to take this step.

Noah "NJ" Dunkin


Quote:
Originally Posted by njdunkin1 View Post
Posting story...
-I made a few T206 reproductions as I had in the past and posted them on eBay to make a few bucks, circa February 13th of this year.
-However, this time I made my listings very gray regarding authenticity and provenance of the cards.
-I thought at the time it would be a cool thing to do to perhaps earn a few more bids. I willingly chose to use an alternate account and I since recognize that as deceptive and wrong (changed username for clarification. current name: njdunkin_2, previous name: katie5831)
-The auction went on; I realized the final day that I was going to be out of town and couldn’t ship the cards to the winning bidder(s), so I tried to cancel the auctions in hopes of relisting the auctions later.
-The first two (Magee and Doyle) didn’t have any bids, so those could cancel with no issues.
-In contrast, the Abbatchio and Cobb each had bids, so I couldn’t cancel. Instead of facing up to the buyer and being straightforward, I tried to bid and win my own cards with my purchasing account (username: njdunkin_1). I did not and would not shill my own auctions to earn a higher bid.
-It backfired. Turns out the buyer had a higher bid than both of mine on the cards, causing him to win both.
-I was in trouble, but the buyer did not end up paying. Shamefully, I opened unpaid cases instead of just cancelling the auctions.
-Nothing really happened and I didn't dwell on this until a friend spoke with me via email with righteous rebuke, pointing out the wrong that I had done. Ashamedly, I didn’t think twice about it until his email, and I saw that he was completely right. Through his words, I could see that I had done wrong and needed make reparations with the people involved as best I could (thank you K).
-However, even more to my shame today, I thought I could postpone making things right or even bury my wrongdoing with time.
-Fast forward to joining Tobacco Row on Facebook (this would be very late March, early April); I received an inquiry about this situation. I was so embarrassed, but I was set on trying to make myself look better and cover up my actions. I made up lies and tried to make myself look better by stretching the truth.
-Deservedly, I’m removed from the FB group as members uncover the truth of the story
-Completely ashamed, I didn't sleep well and dwelled on this almost constantly during this past few weeks' time.
-Through the encouragement of a close friend, I sought forgiveness of those whom were directly affected by my actions (M and D on FB, along with the eBay buyer.)
-I made contact with the eBay buyer and called eBay to remove the unpaid item strikes and apologized to him. I committed to sending out his cards and did so last Tuesday (tracking: 9405509699938375223352)
- This opportunity has been orchestrated to humble me, and I'm thankful for that today.


Thank you for reading this, and again, I am so, so sorry for the grief that I’ve caused you. My actions were wrong and I realize what this has done to my fellowship with much, if not all of the T206, FB, + N54 community.

-Noah "NJ" Dunkin
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-16-2018, 03:07 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is offline
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_l View Post
Wow. Maybe now would be a good time to take a hiatus and try to reset your moral compass a bit.
I'd suggest a permanent hiatus from this boand. Scammers like you are not needed here. It's bad enough we have to deal with them in the hobby.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-16-2018, 03:20 PM
joshuanip's Avatar
joshuanip joshuanip is offline
Joshua
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I'd suggest a permanent hiatus from this boand. Scammers like you are not needed here. It's bad enough we have to deal with them in the hobby.
+1

I hear you wanting to come clean, but that was after you were caught right?

Sorry NJ but I agree with Jesse. Were all human but zero tolerance for this stuff. Like another board member said, this is about having fun. And this hurts our hobby.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-16-2018, 01:16 PM
KingFisk's Avatar
KingFisk KingFisk is offline
C@rl P@rk
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 611
Default

Surprising and disappointing. You seem like an earnest young man and this seems very out of character, but I guess that's the problem with only seeing interactions on a message board. Thanks for telling the story and owning up to it, but this is pretty lousy behavior. EDITED TO ADD: Hope it would've been worth the $50 to destroy your reputation amongst what is generally a great group of knowledgeable and helpful collectors.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by KingFisk; 04-16-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-16-2018, 01:22 PM
Batpig Batpig is offline
Jeff Lar.son
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 145
Default

There's way too much shadiness in all of that to really believe you're sorry for anything other than being caught. Even your effort to make T206 reproductions and sell them as reprints is illegal, regardless if you identify them as reprint or not.
__________________
Successful transactions with: greenmonster66, jfkheat.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-16-2018, 01:50 PM
Rookiemonster's Avatar
Rookiemonster Rookiemonster is offline
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Nj
Posts: 1,358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batpig View Post
There's way too much shadiness in all of that to really believe you're sorry for anything other than being caught. Even your effort to make T206 reproductions and sell them as reprints is illegal, regardless if you identify them as reprint or not.
I agree ,I use to have a friend when I was young that would screw everyone over in different ways. Then when he gets called out on it he would apologize. It seemed like he was always apologizing and getting accepted back in to the friend
Group. Eventually everyone got sick of the guy and stopped talking to him. He then started to give people money and personal items to try to win there favor. Wasn’t long until the cops got him for some stupid stuff.
__________________
Just a collector that likes to talk and read about the Hobby. 🤓👍🏼
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-16-2018, 02:10 PM
Batpig Batpig is offline
Jeff Lar.son
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
I agree ,I use to have a friend when I was young that would screw everyone over in different ways. Then when he gets called out on it he would apologize. It seemed like he was always apologizing and getting accepted back in to the friend
Group. Eventually everyone got sick of the guy and stopped talking to him. He then started to give people money and personal items to try to win there favor. Wasn’t long until the cops got him for some stupid stuff.
I had almost exactly the same experience with a "friend". He ended up doing some jail time for selling things on eBay that he didn't actually have.
__________________
Successful transactions with: greenmonster66, jfkheat.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-16-2018, 02:22 PM
njdunkin1 njdunkin1 is offline
NJ Dunkin
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Eagle River, WI
Posts: 721
Default

Thank you for the responses so far.

I know that my post will affect my communication and connection with many of this board's members, forever. I deserve this fully. For what it's worth, this was most certainly not worth anything that I thought could be gained from my actions.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-16-2018, 01:23 PM
oldjudge's Avatar
oldjudge oldjudge is online now
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Bronx
Posts: 4,059
Default

Bye Felicia
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-16-2018, 01:44 PM
Paul S Paul S is offline
P. Sp.ec.tor
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Landlocked by High Toll Fees
Posts: 2,096
Default

I would sometimes make middle-of-the-night phone calls to ex-girlfriends...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-16-2018, 01:51 PM
darwinbulldog's Avatar
darwinbulldog darwinbulldog is offline
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,055
Default

Derivative.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-16-2018, 02:11 PM
barrysloate barrysloate is offline
Barry Sloate
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 8,150
Default

Plus you misspelled Abbaticchio. Add that to your list of transgressions.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-16-2018, 03:46 PM
KingFisk's Avatar
KingFisk KingFisk is offline
C@rl P@rk
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
I love that movie. Never found a big audience back then and sadly overlooked these days. Nice reference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-16-2018, 10:33 PM
npa589's Avatar
npa589 npa589 is offline
N.ate A.dams
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Bye Felicia
+1
__________________
.
Looking for: T205 Cubs in AB, Cycle, Sov, HLC. & E91A Cubs, T206 Cubs master set, T3 Cubs

Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-17-2018, 08:21 PM
autograf's Avatar
autograf autograf is offline
Tom Boblitt
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Bye Felicia
Jay coming in strong with a super hip reference. You are on your game. Touché.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-17-2018, 11:13 PM
Eric72's Avatar
Eric72 Eric72 is offline
Eric Perry
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 1,594
Default

What a tremendously sad situation. With so much fraud and deceit, the hobby is getting harder to enjoy.

I remember when the cards were the focal point of collecting. Now, it seems like the scammers and BS stories get a disproportionate amount of the attention and headlines.
__________________
Eric Perry

Currently collecting:
T206 (99/524)

"The kid doesn't chew tobacco, smoke, drink, curse or chase broads. I don't see how he can possibly make it."
- Richie Ashburn
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-17-2018, 11:29 PM
joshuanip's Avatar
joshuanip joshuanip is offline
Joshua
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
What a tremendously sad situation. With so much fraud and deceit, the hobby is getting harder to enjoy.

I remember when the cards were the focal point of collecting. Now, it seems like the scammers and BS stories get a disproportionate amount of the attention and headlines.
I think the majority are good honest people who are here as a hobby not to poach. There will always be bad apples, especially when money is involved. But that is the exception and for the most part, we collectors are a good bunch. Want proof, look no further than all those friend and family transactions.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-16-2018, 02:56 PM
Gradedcardman's Avatar
Gradedcardman Gradedcardman is online now
Adam Goldenberg
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 1,338
Default Reproduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdunkin1 View Post
Net54 members and all,


Before I communicate the following words, I wanted to let you know that this is NJ Dunkin, posting regarding a mistake I made a few weeks’ past. I made some counterfeit T206 reproductions to sell on eBay, but instead of making clear that these were fakes, I made the area of authenticity very gray. I recognize this as immoral, deceptive, and misleading.

Here is a link to one of the four auctions in question:

Abbatchio Uzit

I seek forgiveness for three things:
1) My actions were wrong. I recognize this and apologize for it.
2) I was confronted about this on Facebook (Tobacco Row) and stretched the truth in order to paint myself in a better light. I seek forgiveness for deceiving Facebook and board members alike.
3) I should have posted this publicly as soon as it happened, yet I delayed in posting to try and preserve my self-image and reputation.

I realize that this whole situation and how I handled it was wrong, and that I have no excuse for my actions.

I have reserved post #2 for the full details of the story. I wrote this out about a week ago. The details of the story below are the truth, but you do not have to read them or even read further than this sentence. I know the last thing I deserve is your forgiveness, but I felt led to communicate this to you knowing that it was wrong to carry on without associating myself publicly with my actions.

Thank you to the board and Facebook members for the encouragement to take this step.

Noah "NJ" Dunkin
By clicking the link only I see the words reproduction. I would see that as a buyer, not knowing T206, as a flag to not bid/buy. That's what I look for. Unless you added the reproduction part of the description later/after the auction began then I don't see much to complain about. Again I have not read everything because I have had great dealings with NJ and saw the disclaimer of "reproduction".
__________________
Adam Goldenberg
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-16-2018, 03:03 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,531
Default

found a few t cards, this one is a nice uzit. tough to find




placed next to an authentic waddell in 3rd image. you decide.





selling as reproduction per ebay.


This suggests he found the card not made it. And it suggests he is only selling it as a repro because ebay makes him but he isn't sure, "You decide."

BS.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-16-2018, 03:09 PM
Mdmtx's Avatar
Mdmtx Mdmtx is offline
Mark Medlin
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Burleson, Texas
Posts: 544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradedcardman View Post
By clicking the link only I see the words reproduction. I would see that as a buyer, not knowing T206, as a flag to not bid/buy. That's what I look for. Unless you added the reproduction part of the description later/after the auction began then I don't see much to complain about. Again I have not read everything because I have had great dealings with NJ and saw the disclaimer of "reproduction".
Here is his admission from post #2 on this thread:

However, this time I made my listings very gray regarding authenticity and provenance of the cards.


That is pretty clear. He also said this:

-In contrast, the Abbatchio and Cobb each had bids, so I couldn’t cancel. Instead of facing up to the buyer and being straightforward, I tried to bid and win my own cards with my purchasing account (username: njdunkin_1). I did not and would not shill my own auctions to earn a higher bid.

He says he wouldn’t shill, but I believe his actions are shilling.


Mark Medlin
__________________
You got any of them n series non sport and boxing in there?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-16-2018, 04:59 PM
hcv123 hcv123 is offline
Howard Chasser
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 1,449
Default and another thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdmtx View Post
Here is his admission from post #2 on this thread:

However, this time I made my listings very gray regarding authenticity and provenance of the cards.


That is pretty clear. He also said this:

-In contrast, the Abbatchio and Cobb each had bids, so I couldn’t cancel. Instead of facing up to the buyer and being straightforward, I tried to bid and win my own cards with my purchasing account (username: njdunkin_1). I did not and would not shill my own auctions to earn a higher bid.

He says he wouldn’t shill, but I believe his actions are shilling.


Mark Medlin
He said he wanted to "win" his own auctions to chop off the head of the snake, but then has perfect opportunity to just keep them when the bidder didn't pay. Instead he chose to open a case against.....something doesn't make sense about that.

Regarding accountability and apology - it takes a lot to publicly step up and be accountable - good for you (sincerely). First and foremost when you "act in a way you know to be wrong (and I believe you knew this as you were doing it) - you violate your own integrity - something much more difficult to forgive than the forgiveness you seek here.

I was not harmed by you and have nothing invested here - I hope your words and intent are true - first and foremost for you. I am sure that while some may forgive, as stated by others - many (myself included) would not choose to do business with you.

Act right and show yourself and others that you can. Honestly wishing you all the best.

Howard
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-16-2018, 03:27 PM
esd10 esd10 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: baltimore oh
Posts: 719
Default

Im a forgiving type but this type of bull$hit is happening way to often on ebay/othe sights and this board is a kind of shelter from that type of non sense. I trust the members on this forum to be straight up and honest the first time not when they are busted for doing the wrong things and then apologizing once they are caught.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-16-2018, 07:46 PM
iwantitiwinit's Avatar
iwantitiwinit iwantitiwinit is offline
rob.ert int.rieri
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 1,537
Default

Disappointing. In the future when asking for advice on card matters via PM you can keep the "blessings and thanks" for someone else. No excuse for this kind of stuff but time will tell, hopefully we will see a positive change, good luck to you.



Also, I just noticed you started a thread on jan 2 2018 (which you edited in late March) looking for UZIT backs and I'm starting to think there is more to this story (I just cut and pasted it here).........

I would be thrilled to pick up my 1st Uzit, Broad Leaf, or Red Hindu this weekend!
Any condition, any front, any price.

I can add cash to a trade deal or add trade to a cash deal.

Photos, PMs, emails work, too


Blessings in reminder of the Savior who gave His life for us this Easter weekend,

NJ

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 04-16-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-16-2018, 08:46 PM
richardcards richardcards is offline
Ricardo
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 627
Default Nj

Sadden to hear about n j.
He sold me this Magee and it's my favorite t206 and I
am happy with it.
Best of luck
Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180416_213653.jpg (73.1 KB, 613 views)
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:00 PM
iwantitiwinit's Avatar
iwantitiwinit iwantitiwinit is offline
rob.ert int.rieri
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 1,537
Default

Hmmmm.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:25 PM
Bpm0014's Avatar
Bpm0014 Bpm0014 is offline
Brendan Mullen
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 2,146
Default

Really sad to hear of this. We have all made mistakes. You seemed like a good dude too. This is a learning experience. Hopefully you come back in a year a better person from this.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:12 PM
hcv123 hcv123 is offline
Howard Chasser
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 1,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcards View Post
Sadden to hear about n j.
He sold me this Magee and it's my favorite t206 and I
am happy with it.
Best of luck
Richard

Anyone else thinking what I am?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:55 PM
edjs's Avatar
edjs edjs is offline
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post

Anyone else thinking what I am?
This?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (9.3 KB, 558 views)
__________________
Ed

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:46 PM
Hxcmilkshake's Avatar
Hxcmilkshake Hxcmilkshake is offline
St@n Go.len
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 245
Default

Tell me this guy is like 12....certainly acts like it

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-17-2018, 08:50 AM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is online now
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 5,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdunkin1 View Post
Net54 members and all,


Before I communicate the following words, I wanted to let you know that this is NJ Dunkin, posting regarding a mistake I made a few weeks’ past. I made some counterfeit T206 reproductions to sell on eBay, but instead of making clear that these were fakes, I made the area of authenticity very gray. I recognize this as immoral, deceptive, and misleading.

Here is a link to one of the four auctions in question:

Abbatchio Uzit

I seek forgiveness for three things:
1) My actions were wrong. I recognize this and apologize for it.
2) I was confronted about this on Facebook (Tobacco Row) and stretched the truth in order to paint myself in a better light. I seek forgiveness for deceiving Facebook and board members alike.
3) I should have posted this publicly as soon as it happened, yet I delayed in posting to try and preserve my self-image and reputation.

I realize that this whole situation and how I handled it was wrong, and that I have no excuse for my actions.

I have reserved post #2 for the full details of the story. I wrote this out about a week ago. The details of the story below are the truth, but you do not have to read them or even read further than this sentence. I know the last thing I deserve is your forgiveness, but I felt led to communicate this to you knowing that it was wrong to carry on without associating myself publicly with my actions.

Thank you to the board and Facebook members for the encouragement to take this step.

Noah "NJ" Dunkin
My only question is, were all the cards listed like the one in the link? That one clearly says it is a reprint.
__________________
T210 Series 3 Ft Worth, looking for low end examples and especially ones with a Y shaped hole punch. I also have some extra T210's for trade.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-17-2018, 08:53 AM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
My only question is, were all the cards listed like the one in the link? That one clearly says it is a reprint.
Not really. It says being sold as a reprint per ebay rules, but then he invites people to conclude otherwise by posting a scan of an authentic card and saying "you decide." Also he lies about the origin of the card, saying he just acquired it as opposed to he made it himself.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-17-2018, 09:20 AM
Fballguy's Avatar
Fballguy Fballguy is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CT and TX
Posts: 810
Default

Don't believe this has been pointed out, but you can end an auction that has bids, so the non-shilling claim seems a little hard to believe.

Not that it wasn't hard to believe in the context of this listing to begin with.

That he tries to portray himself as a con man with standards (I wouldn't shill bid!) leads me to believe he's not coming completely clean and would probably be hard to trust at any point in the future.

On a side note...I don't believe this is really a high schooler. I think he/she is trying to catfish us.
__________________
R0b G@@13t

Last edited by Fballguy; 04-17-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 04-17-2018, 09:26 AM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Don't believe this has been pointed out, but you can end an auction that has bids, so the non-shilling claim seems a little hard to believe.

Not that it wasn't hard to believe in the context of this listing to begin with.

That he tries to portray himself as a con man with standards (I wouldn't shill bid!) leads me to believe he's not coming completely clean and would probably be hard to trust at any point in the future.

On a side note...I don't believe this is really a high schooler. I think he/she is trying to catfish us.
Yeah I just mentioned that, and it does undercut his story. As does opening up the non paying bidder case.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-17-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-17-2018, 09:27 AM
bigfish bigfish is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,074
Default ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdunkin1 View Post
Net54 members and all,


Before I communicate the following words, I wanted to let you know that this is NJ Dunkin, posting regarding a mistake I made a few weeks’ past. I made some counterfeit T206 reproductions to sell on eBay, but instead of making clear that these were fakes, I made the area of authenticity very gray. I recognize this as immoral, deceptive, and misleading.

Here is a link to one of the four auctions in question:

Abbatchio Uzit

I seek forgiveness for three things:
1) My actions were wrong. I recognize this and apologize for it.
2) I was confronted about this on Facebook (Tobacco Row) and stretched the truth in order to paint myself in a better light. I seek forgiveness for deceiving Facebook and board members alike.
3) I should have posted this publicly as soon as it happened, yet I delayed in posting to try and preserve my self-image and reputation.

I realize that this whole situation and how I handled it was wrong, and that I have no excuse for my actions.

I have reserved post #2 for the full details of the story. I wrote this out about a week ago. The details of the story below are the truth, but you do not have to read them or even read further than this sentence. I know the last thing I deserve is your forgiveness, but I felt led to communicate this to you knowing that it was wrong to carry on without associating myself publicly with my actions.

Thank you to the board and Facebook members for the encouragement to take this step.

Noah "NJ" Dunkin

Huh??

Are you leaving the hobby?

Toby Petersen
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-17-2018, 11:23 AM
Gradedcardman's Avatar
Gradedcardman Gradedcardman is online now
Adam Goldenberg
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 1,338
Default 1 year

I believe Leon banished/suspended him for one year. Enjoyed the young blood in the hobby. Hope he stays in it.
__________________
Adam Goldenberg
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-17-2018, 11:35 AM
mechanicalman's Avatar
mechanicalman mechanicalman is offline
Sam Sw@rtz
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 990
Default

I think this situation just shows that nothing good happens when high school boys hang out on Internet chat boards with mostly middle-age adult males.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-17-2018, 11:38 AM
Rookiemonster's Avatar
Rookiemonster Rookiemonster is offline
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Nj
Posts: 1,358
Default

What’s to stop him from mastering his skills? Going to other Facebook/forums ?
Making more FAKE ebay accounts with the intention of selling fakes and shilling them? Making or already has made a fake net54 user name?

Answer: NOTHING!!!

This is the birth of a card con artist. He’ll be around for years.
__________________
Just a collector that likes to talk and read about the Hobby. 🤓👍🏼
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-17-2018, 11:43 AM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,531
Default

Who knows what direction this young man will take, hopefully an honest one, but there are some major card doctors who started quite young.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-17-2018, 11:52 AM
oldjudge's Avatar
oldjudge oldjudge is online now
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Bronx
Posts: 4,059
Default

When you read the OP's words they do not sound like they are coming from a HS kid(see conversations with Kyle)--they sound like an older person. Call me skeptical, but I do not believe he is in HS.
Leon-Has he given you any proof that he is in HS?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-17-2018, 02:46 PM
chalupacollects chalupacollects is offline
Ti.m H.
Tim Hu,nt
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
What’s to stop him from mastering his skills? Going to other Facebook/forums ?
Making more FAKE ebay accounts with the intention of selling fakes and shilling them? Making or already has made a fake net54 user name?

Answer: NOTHING!!!

This is the birth of a card con artist. He’ll be around for years.

I agree but I hope that his/her getting pinched on this forum is the end in the hobby for this person, maybe he/she rights themselves and this episode is not just their "gateway drug" to bigger and more sophisticated scams...

Last edited by chalupacollects; 04-17-2018 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Bad grammar/punctuation!
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Public apology Chicago206 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 14 03-27-2010 05:07 PM
Public Apology to Larry Archive Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 9 07-13-2008 08:50 AM
A public apology to Charlie Barokas & Mike Baker Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 5 11-15-2007 05:29 PM
Public apology Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 40 11-06-2005 10:24 AM
My public apology & explanation Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 17 01-08-2005 09:03 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 PM.


ebay GSB