NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-11-2015, 02:34 PM
Jason Wells

Default Possible T210 Scrap. Thoughts/Opinions?

I picked this neat little card up awhile back. I am almost sure this card is indeed from a scrap sheet. Possibly the first sheet used for alignment and discarded after the name caption/ player placement wasnt correct. In the side by side scans you can see the player is moved up as well as the caption. This could be an important clue to the T card printing process as it appears the caption and player where printing at the same time. The card is also totally devoid of the finishing gloss. Also the borders are the deepest red I have ever seen on a T210. For these reasons I am almost confident it is a factory scrap. I have been searching for a similar card not only in the T210 set but other similar issues as well. I would appreciate anyones feedback on this card or others like it. Thank guys.

Last edited by Jason; 10-11-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:51 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Very cool card Jason, congrats!
Old 10-11-2015, 03:31 PM
Steven H.

Awesome pickup Jason!! Couldn't think of a better collection for it to find its way too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 10-11-2015, 04:44 PM
seablaster@yahoo.com

Hey Jason, I think your assumption that the image and caption were printed in one pass is correct. The T210 Billiard misprint would suggest that as well.

Whether this card is an example from a sheet of scrap, I don't know. I don't fully know/understand the merits of printer's scrap, but what does seem apparent is that this card has what appears to be a factory cut.

I think a hundred years ago, the printers weren't so precise about which cards they allowed through and which they didn't. I would think that most cards which originated from scrap sheets were intended to be discarded, and thus probably hand cut.

Why it lacks gloss is anyone's guess.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:33 PM

Nice card, Jason. I wonder if the card (or sheet) in question could have been a design test, hence the misalignment/lack of gloss? Looks like the shift of the player and caption could have been intentional. The visible player image is almost the same, but it seems as if the designer(s) were thinking about using a separate area just for the caption. As a test, they would have skipped the gloss (I would guess.)

Last edited by Jason Carota; 10-11-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:57 PM
Jason Wells

Thanks for the kind words John/Steven.

K, the Billiard card is a great example further adding clues to the printing process. I was an underbidder on it assuming this is the one you are speaking of. Very interesting I wish I could have added it to my collection. I agree it appears to be a factory cut, the Hicks that is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (21.5 KB, 296 views)

Last edited by Jason; 10-11-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:00 PM
Jason Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Carota View Post
Nice card, Jason. I wonder if the card (or sheet) in question could have been a design test, hence the misalignment/lack of gloss? Looks like the shift of the player and caption could have been intentional. The visible player image is almost the same, but it seems as if the designer(s) were thinking about using a separate area just for the caption. As a test, they would have skipped the gloss (I would guess.)
When I noticed the lack of gloss that was my assumption as well. It was a test/design sheet left unfinished.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:15 AM

I think the lack of gloss may have been intentional. Once the printer(s) determined that the sheet was flawed, the final gloss coating was not applied. The four gloss-less examples I have seen all appear to be hand-cut, and I think all are scrap.

In these examples from my collection, Bivens' name is printed a bit higher on the scrap version, like Jason's Hicks. However, Cantwell's name/team doesn't seem to be printed higher than usual, although I don't have a copy with gloss to measure it against (hint, hint!). That being said, I think Cantwell is also scrap.

Cheers, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T210 oddities-Cantwell:Bivens.jpg (75.4 KB, 246 views)
Old 10-12-2015, 09:53 AM

In the example above Bivens foot is nearer the red border by only a millimeter or so. As can be seen in the Ex-Lelands one further up, the red border was printed after the black & white portion, leaving a perfect storm for misalignment, from which the "name misplaced" cards resulted. The Hicks card should have the red right next to his socks, but does not due to misalignment and the resulting white bar under the name.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:37 PM
Jason Wells

Nice group of cards Michael. Thank you for sharing the Bivens scan with a slight name jump. I agree with SB1 that the image is slightly off too.

As for the Cantwell, its scrap for sure I thought that when I first saw the lot and more so once you posted single scans at the time of its pick up. Good luck in finding another one for comparison. If I happen across another one ill keep you posted.

Last edited by Jason; 10-12-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:37 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

A couple more to add to the growing number of "scrap"/oddball cards to come out of t210.

Funny thing, I wasn't aware of any of these existing until about a year ago when I started seeing them. I always thought t210 was a really clean issue except for the orange borders...

43-192a_lg.jpg

t210OHalloran.jpg

Last edited by shammus; 10-12-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:41 PM
Steve Birmingham

The gloss can be a bit strange on these.

Here's one that only got about half the gloss.

The image shifted up is probably an error in registration. Either the black and red didn't line up when the press was set up, or the sheet fed improperly.

Typically a few sheets are used to adjust the press, and aren't meant to be cut and used. They do get reused to setup other stuff, which is where the really odd cards with multiple different backs etc come from.

Steve B